Multi-Clienting Rule Changes

Comments

• Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    So Promivius, you're basically complaining that now everyone has access to the same advantage you've been enjoying the whole time?
  • LeFEMME - Lost City
    LeFEMME - Lost City Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Two catshops online is possible? b:thanks
  • Promivius - Dreamweaver
    Promivius - Dreamweaver Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    No, I am complaining about the fact I am to prove to PWI I am legit when I have my accounts running and a 3rd is added to my household in the form of another player starting.

I don't like to be treated a criminal and then being told I am legit.
    Get it?

Multi-clienting being allowed is good tho 2 max is then again bad as I have 3 accounts which was allowed to be online at the same time (as long as they ran on 3 physical computers) before the change.
    I speak for myself. My opinions are my own.
    Assuming I speak for others is therefor void.
  • Muie - Lost City
    Muie - Lost City Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    What if i play Perfect World in a internet cafe with 12 other people?Will i still brake the new multiclient rule?
  • Hiemus - Raging Tide
    Hiemus - Raging Tide Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    People's computers can handle 2 and 3 clients running at the same time??? ... wow my computer *is* old... . b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Eh, rules are meant to be broken.

Hell, I've broken some in my 2 year stint playing...am still here. o.o
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • Promivius - Dreamweaver
    Promivius - Dreamweaver Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    What if i play Perfect World in a internet cafe with 12 other people?Will i still brake the new multiclient rule?

The only people in the known are the managers in China.
    Remembers the GM's are at best the eyes/ears and voice of those managers nothing more.

(Which does not mean they are to stay silent but that's me. To me it means they need to figure out things and report their findings to us players.)

As I see little GM activity here on this thread att I will assume China is silent too.
    Doe sit mean we are lost to the powers that be?
    Guess we are and the GM's are not helping here either.

Free-to-play is adding new stuff (sometimes more broken then the initial release) and nerving the old or so it seems....
    I speak for myself. My opinions are my own.
    Assuming I speak for others is therefor void.
  • _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary
    _DarkSeph_ - Sanctuary Posts: 2,294 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Not bad, about time they abolished the crazy rule. I'd say at least 90% of players have already broken it anyway.

However, it's not going to bring me back into the game. 5 aps, literally no content in years, no bug fixes and no legitimate way to make coin whatsoever besides merchanting still means I'm sticking with other mmo's. Is a shame, I miss the community and would return in a flash if things improved.

Try harder guys. :/
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    just double click element.exe ffs
    lol this exactly, you didnt even need to change anything just click the element exe from the PWI folder
    Changing the name of a file is considered modifying it...

b:chuckleb:laugh no you snail paced gray matter numbnuts, not now.

before this Multi clienting on 1 PC was officially allowed people still ran multiclient without modifying game files. The solution was to modify the process name (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC for you windows guru's)
    People have been multi clienting in PWI since Beta. For your nublet perspective, that's since summer-fall 2008.

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Still waiting for an answer.

I can understand needing to cut down on people using up to 10+ catshops but a 3-4 limit does not seem unreasonable.

i don't think you'll get an answer, for the same reason i won't get any answer to my (admittedly, mostly unstated) question of whether i can register a third account for a cat shop so i can use the characters i'm actively playing on my other two accounts for actual gameplay.

between these rules and the vaguely-stated, intermittently-enforced TW bidding rules, i'm coming to the conclusion they feel vague and inconsistent rules are in their interest. this way they can make more arbitrary decisions and not get called out on it, since SOME part of their rules can always be read to support whatever decision they make, if you squint hard enough.

it's not this difficult to construct an internally-consistent set of rules with a base of supporting reasoning for how those rules (are meant to) impact, and help, gameplay. if they're not sitting down for an hour or two to do it, it's because they don't WANT such a set of rules. it's more likely, i'd estimate, that they simply want to run the game in accordance with the last sentence of section 5 of the terms of service.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    i don't think you'll get an answer, for the same reason i won't get any answer to my (admittedly, mostly unstated) question of whether i can register a third account for a cat shop so i can use the characters i'm actively playing on my other two accounts for actual gameplay.

between these rules and the vaguely-stated, intermittently-enforced TW bidding rules, i'm coming to the conclusion they feel vague and inconsistent rules are in their interest. this way they can make more arbitrary decisions and not get called out on it, since SOME part of their rules can always be read to support whatever decision they make, if you squint hard enough.

it's not this difficult to construct an internally-consistent set of rules with a base of supporting reasoning for how those rules (are meant to) impact, and help, gameplay. if they're not sitting down for an hour or two to do it, it's because they don't WANT such a set of rules. it's more likely, i'd estimate, that they simply want to run the game in accordance with the last sentence of section 5 of the terms of service.

no you cant register a 3rd account for catshop reason it states simply you can only have 2 accounts per person if you had more then 2 before its fine but you can only have 2 logged in at a time 1 catshop and 1 playing 2 catshops or 2 playing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    no you cant register a 3rd account for catshop reason it states simply you can only have 2 accounts per person if you had more then 2 before its fine but you can only have 2 logged in at a time 1 catshop and 1 playing 2 catshops or 2 playing.

hush, esc, unless you speak for PWE in an official capacity. i can read their internally inconsistent rules as well as you, and i too can see the possible interpretation of it that says i'm not allowed to catshop and play any one of my active characters at the same time. i can also, however, see how the rules are unclear, largely unenforced and enforced arbitrarily when they are, and how the "only two per person" part does not in and of itself serve any useful, productive purpose in the game. going rules-fascist on me and blindly stating "but the ruuules saaaay not!" isn't helpful or productive, ESPECIALLY not when your opinion on this is no more authoritative than my own.

edit: just to poke the GMs even harder (as is my wont, after all) i'm 95% certain that i could just make a third account, dedicate it to catshopping, play no more than two characters (counting the catshop) at a time, and get away with it indefinitely. the only thing that'd really threaten me would be if some newbie-hired GM decided to get rules-fascist on me because somebody urinated in their cold cereal that morning, OR if my on-forum sniping against the company finally ticked off frankie enough to flag my account for detailed attention. (assuming he hasn't already, that is.) but this too all falls under the "selective and arbitrary rules enforcement" thing i am, indirectly, complaining about here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    hush, esc, unless you speak for PWE in an official capacity. i can read their internally inconsistent rules as well as you, and i too can see the possible interpretation of it that says i'm not allowed to catshop and play any one of my active characters at the same time. i can also, however, see how the rules are unclear, largely unenforced and enforced arbitrarily when they are, and how the "only two per person" part does not in and of itself serve any useful, productive purpose in the game. going rules-fascist on me and blindly stating "but the ruuules saaaay not!" isn't helpful or productive, ESPECIALLY not when your opinion on this is no more authoritative than my own.

edit: just to poke the GMs even harder (as is my wont, after all) i'm 95% certain that i could just make a third account, dedicate it to catshopping, play no more than two characters (counting the catshop) at a time, and get away with it indefinitely. the only thing that'd really threaten me would be if some newbie-hired GM decided to get rules-fascist on me because somebody urinated in their cold cereal that morning, OR if my on-forum sniping against the company finally ticked off frankie enough to flag my account for detailed attention. (assuming he hasn't already, that is.) but this too all falls under the "selective and arbitrary rules enforcement" thing i am, indirectly, complaining about here.
    You may only have 2 accounts per person, regardless of how many computers you own.

There isn't a viable reason to create an excessive number of accounts, so any suspicious activity from now on will be fully dealt with. We aren't going to punish you for having existing accounts prior to this rule, but you can only be online on two at once at the most.
    this isnt my opinion as you can see the gms stated already that you can only have 2 accounts.b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear
    OMGLAZERZ - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    actually for most homes in the US this is not accurate @ all. Case in point.. network @ home, 4 pcs, plus any wireless devices served by router. Router is "pc" on the internet and ofc has its own mac address. Lan is "nat'd" so that no pc is actually on the net ergo all are protected by the routers firewall and and natt'ing software ( is that a word? ) .
    Router does not pass the pc's mac address on, as it can be used to backdoor into pc's. So all traffic in and out appears to come FROM the router. Since the router is a computer this is perfectly normal behavior. Now of course these pc's all live on one IP because its a LAN so its shared access.

There is absolutely no way w/o mutex and honestly idk if even then, for anything outside the net to find and identify any given pc. This is the whole reason for this technology is to protect the lan completely! Its called being "stealthed" and quite frankly is the norm today.
    if they attempt to ban by IP then they are banning multiple people and with dynamic ip's this could be hundreds., if they attempt to ban by mac then they are banning EVERYONE in that household and thats wrong also.

If you have 3 or more separate accounts coming from one IP address that'd be something that would have to be checked out, IMHO.

The bolded part is blatantly false and makes very little sense considering if the packets being sent to the server have a specfic world IP address, then there shouldn't be any other computers using that same IP address in it's packets on the Internet, and since local network IPs don't get passed by the router they collectively use, then that isn't going to be an issue.

If they have a warden-esque part of the client software that can check if there are multiple clients running on one machine, they could probably nail those running 3+ clients at once.

The only downside is the change impacts those who were multi-boxing 3-5 characters before which most do for fun which is a legitimate reason for doing so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Fuzz_ - Lost City
    _Fuzz_ - Lost City Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    How would you know if a single person is using over 2 open accounts at once?

there could be mutliple people at a local hot spot playing pwi at the same time.

Multiple people in a dorm could be connected to the same connection playing pwi.

or when a group of guild/friends come over and we just hangout and play pwi together.

Personaly i think the whole "monitoring" of it is a bit invasion of privacy if they are gathering our ip addresses and computer information.
    edited April 2011

there could be mutliple people at a local hot spot playing pwi at the same time.

Multiple people in a dorm could be connected to the same connection playing pwi.

or when a group of guild/friends come over and we just hangout and play pwi together.

Personaly i think the whole "monitoring" of it is a bit invasion of privacy if they are gathering our ip addresses and computer information.

If you were honestly concerned about them getting your IP address you wouldn't be playing the game in the first place because every time you connect to the game servers you send them your IP address. Every time you connect to any server over the Internet you give someone your IP address, even to the forums you are giving them your IP address.

If you are truly worried and concerned about privacy, then I suggest reading this :http://www.perfectworld.com/about/privacy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sachita
    sachita Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I checked whole thread now and found no answer from GMs for question "what about families". I have three sons, atm two of them are interested to play with me. so if we wanna play together would mean three accounts in one household. How could I prove we are different players? behind a router with lan-connection you allways have same IPb:faint and would like to prove, BEFORE we all would be banned maybeb:surrender
    would be nice to get an answer for a question I found ceveral times on this thread, and hope my question will be read between thousands of discussionsb:surrender
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited April 2011
    sachita wrote: »
    I checked whole thread now and found no answer from GMs for question "what about families". I have three sons, atm two of them are interested to play with me. so if we wanna play together would mean three accounts in one household. How could I prove we are different players? behind a router with lan-connection you allways have same IPb:faint and would like to prove, BEFORE we all would be banned maybeb:surrender
    would be nice to get an answer for a question I found ceveral times on this thread, and hope my question will be read between thousands of discussionsb:surrender

I'll talk to frankie and see if we can't get some information posted up here.b:victory
    edited April 2011
    sachita wrote: »

Asking here isn't going to get you anywhere, so I'd suggest putting in a ticket to get a direct answer from customer service here: https://support.perfectworld.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=15058
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    kitty go answer my question in ode to mods thread =p
    KrittyCat wrote: »
    I'll talk to frankie and see if we can't get some information posted up here.b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

• LappDance - Sanctuary
    LappDance - Sanctuary Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2011

If you were honestly concerned about them getting your IP address you wouldn't be playing the game in the first place because every time you connect to the game servers you send them your IP address. Every time you connect to any server over the Internet you give someone your IP address, even to the forums you are giving them your IP address.

If you are truly worried and concerned about privacy, then I suggest reading this :http://www.perfectworld.com/about/privacy

The details are wrong, but the sentiment is correct. If you don't want PWE to have information about your PC, then don't log in to the game servers. Or, for that matter, any online service that tracks you as an individual.

@_Fuzz_: PWE is offering a free service, and their only requirement is that you not abuse the service by logging in more than two accounts at a time. It is not unreasonable for them to expect you to prove that you personally have only two accounts if they see more than two attached to the publicly-routed IP address that you are using.

Ignoring the internet aspects for a moment, imagine that they are a company offering free samples of something that you want, and that they say it is "two to a customer". You can order two samples to be delivered to your home address. No problem. You order three to that same address, they may well not ship *any* to that address or they may just ship two. Now imagine that you and three buddies pitch in to get a PO Box, and you each order two of the free samples to be sent to that PO Box. They'll probably question this, and you'd probably not have a problem with them doing so. Now imagine that you and 49 coworkers all order two samples to be delivered to your work address. The sample company will for darn sure do some checking before they deliver 100 samples to the same address. And you'd likely not have a problem with them doing so - in fact, you'd probably expect them to verify that there are 50 individuals each receiving two.

In reality, the sample company would probably resolve this by only offering two per address. PWE is not limiting you by address, but opting for the less stringent "per person" requirement. So, yeah, it's not beyond the pale for them to ask for proof that it's not a single individual running all 10 of those accounts.
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    The details are wrong, but the sentiment is correct. If you don't want PWE to have information about your PC, then don't log in to the game servers. Or, for that matter, any online service that tracks you as an individual.

Or, y'know...hide behind a proxy.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • WillowGirl - Dreamweaver
    WillowGirl - Dreamweaver Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I have been playing PWI since October '08. I have my main account, 2 or 3 "alt" accounts, only one of which I really actually use, the newly-created seeker account. I also have one account that is nothing but "vault" toons, TTVault, MatsVault, MiscVault, etc., used for nothing more than storage because my main account, with maxed inventory, bank, and cupboard slots is mostly full. As far as I can remember, all accounts were created using real, true information about myself and almost all are registered using the same email address.

I live with my husband who probably has around as many accounts as I do, excluding the "vault" account, which we do share.

You mean to tell me that, after all these years, my husband and I logging 1 or more accounts each at the same time, in the same house, using the same internet connection, are basically taking the risk of being randomly banned because it will look like 4 accounts logged on in the same household at the same time? And then what? We submit a ticket and wait an indefinite amount of time for PWE to get off it's lazy butt and ask us for PROOF of some sort that we are actually two separate people?

~removed~

I know of a player who has been logging up to 5 accounts at one time, either from one PC or a combo of a desktop and a laptop, for at least a year. How exactly does PWE plan on tracking and banning anyone under these new rules when you didn't do a thing about it in the past when it was AGAINST the rules?

On the flip-side, thanks for finally making legal what hundreds, or even thousands, of players have been doing for a darn long time anyway.

*hands PWE a towel to wipe the egg off it's face*

Yeah, I'm annoyed, I'm worried, and I'm frustrated. Will my husband and/or I be banned in the middle of the two of us multiclienting some instance because we may show 4 accounts logged on at once from the same household? And, if so, will PWE return the hundreds of dollars I've given it for the accounts I own but will be unable to access in the event of a ban? 2 1/2 years and hundreds of dollars I can never get back, and for what? Being threatened by the company who gladly took all my money? Thanks a ton, PWE.
  • LappDance - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011

Proxies don't do much good when the packets themselves contain the very information you're trying to mask, the "footprint" of the PC on which you are playing.

But if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside...
    edited April 2011

If you try that when playing the game, you might get banned for playing through an open proxy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shayd - Raging Tide
    Shayd - Raging Tide Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys,

The reasoning behind this rule was the fact that running more than one client could not be accomplished without editing the game files, and editing game files was not allowed.

Oh come on, go to game files, click Element Client as many times you want, Legal, quick, nothing else needed, discovered myself YEARS ago and it still works
    Mystic: 99 lvl (Main)
    Psychic: 96 lvl (Alt)
    Assassin: 78 lvl (Retired)
    Cleric: 75 lvl (Retired)

Big bumpy ride since 2008
  • LappDance - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Oh come on, go to game files, click Element Client as many times you want, Legal, quick, nothing else needed, discovered myself YEARS ago and it still works

Someone's been naughty and didn't read the entire thread (and the many, many, many before it on this topic) before posting.

Clicking on elementclient.exe did not work until a few months after release. Prior to that, you had to mod the file.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    no you did not. Worked fine without. Since ... like...forever.
    I learn it from the old heavyweights when Dreamweaver opened, though I haven't had the balls to use it on daily base until much, much later.
    But yeah, the advantage of multiple accounts on lvling/cash making at the beginning was absolutely insane. I know ppl who farmed TTs for days with 2 veno alts healing 1 herc. The amount of cash produced was absolutely insane, lol. Those guys went to make 5 aps classes (cause well, they had 400-500 milion coins when gold was 200k so they kinda' afford it ) when 99.999% of the ppl on server didn't know what 5 aps looked like or what it's good for.
    Well, now PWI made it official. Nice.
    I'm roflmao...

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jenovadeath - Lost City
    Jenovadeath - Lost City Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    b:scorn anyone else noticing more and more dq farmer bots popping up on their server cause I know theres more popping up on mine. b:surrender
  • jemima
    jemima Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Why are people complaining about this change?
    They've removed a silly rule which rewarded people for having multiple computers, and made it consistent across all players, while also letting people with only one computer also dual client.
    This is a bad thing? It's better for only a minority of people to be allowed to multi client, and to run as many as they have computers?