Character Pick?!?

Options
ayumukokoro
ayumukokoro Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2011 in Dungeons & Tactics
I'm not sure which character to pick D:
I like all the variety of characters on here but I just need one that can kill in PvE easily since I don't do any PvP. Can someone suggest a character that is very strong in PvE that can do high damage or a tanker since I'm not sure which would be better to use.
Post edited by ayumukokoro on

Comments

• MagicWaffle - Sanctuary
    MagicWaffle - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    a good choice for pve would probably be a blademaster or a venomancer
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Name-level/class-faction
    MagicWaffle-71 Wizard-BlackOath
    Kyrozoan-84 Barbarian-None (retired)
    Vertebreaker-55-Seeker-None (retired)
  • Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary
    Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Blademaster is also one of the secondary tanks in the game, so both bases are covered.
    helr-cleric-8x
    Jaggerjaques-BM-8x
    blackrobe-wizard-7x
    _Tara-veno-6x
    Superpoke-sin-7x
    punching_bag-barb 7x
  • Faeble - Heavens Tear
    Faeble - Heavens Tear Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Venos are known as the best soloers in the game due to the fact it's kind of like a barb+cleric in one (As in your pet tanks and you heal your pet)

However, higher up, they are unwanted in many things (FF is one due to people would rather have more aps sins in squad vs a veno)

I personally have played both and love my BM. I gave up with a veno at 57. It got boring for me. BMs are good at soloing and if you have a cleric friend, a BM and Cleric can just about do anything (level appropriate) together.

I can say that seekers are better built for tanking then BMs (BMs go fist/axe or they can't be included in everything, aps for nirvana) but when it comes to who tanks the boss. Fist BM wins over seeker. I'm only 2.0base aps (I don't spark much cause I'm busy HFing for the group :P) but between me and a seeker, I steal aggro in seconds and hold it all the way through. So, that may be something to think about for if you are wanting to tank too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    It was my fate from birth to make my mark upon this Earth.
  • SeaStorm - Heavens Tear
    SeaStorm - Heavens Tear Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Depends on what you want. Personally, I play a Veno, BM and Cleric (all 100+). Based on your comments I'd probably say go BM or Veno. If tanking isn't so much an issue a Seeker. On a side note Seekers and BMs use same armor so you could play both and transfer gear via account stash (if you have them on same acct - this is useful once you start using bound gear - ie gold gear and TT99 lvl gear). Just note veno wise if you're going to want to end up tanking in Twilight Temple etc, you're probably going to have to invest in a herc (lengendary pet), only available via boutique or players in game (via cat shops selling Sources of Force).

I've never had issues getting FF on my veno...a lot of squads like the increased damage add from the veno's (amplify damage aka amp) skill added to a BM's Heaven's Flame skill. Timed correctly if BM isn't a noob and give warning for Heaven's Flame can create massive damage spikes for the squad. Most sins I have in a squad are 1 or 2 if that.

Personally I think that people that won't include BMs if they don't have fists are a narrow focused individuals. That stated my BM is a 4 path BM and sage which gets me enough **** from the demon bms...until I steal aggro and out tank them, then I get QQ'd. Then again I also think people that refuse to take any char (except a cleric - they always want heals/rez) cause they aren't aps are stupid.

My veno is my main and I adore playing her. Problem currently is a lot of the more "newbie" venos haven't learned to play the char properly and when people run into a veno that knows how to play the char to the max they're usually shocked. Kinda depressing.

Seekers have some lovely skills that are very useful...but considering the number of APS BMs it's highly unlikely a seeker will tank if a barb or BM is in squad. Due to their weapon being a sword.

Btw a seeker/bm combo in squad the way a friend and I play is wickedly deadly LOL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide
    Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    every class has the potential to be a great class if you know how to utilize it to its advantages, but based on my limited insight and experience then...

veno- rare at higher levels- if you like having pets, multi tasking and helping in subtler and often times less appreciated ways then the veno is right for you. a good veno can make any run smoother and easier, and are versatile enough to fill many roles in a squad. a veno is a puller, debuffer, amplifier, tank assistant and protector of the less well armored classes.

barbarian-common- the undisputed tank, if you enjoy protecting your fellow players and being able to go toe to toe with most anything then the tank is right for you. the barb requires a little more intelligence then most damage dealing classes because you have to know when to cancel spells while at the same time holding agro from said damage dealers. sadly barbarians are less appreciated then they should be so that is something to consider when rolling this class.

cleric- common- the main healer, if you don't mind having to rely on a squad for a significant portion of the game then you probably will enjoy having a squad rely on you. at higher levels most dungeons and instances are impossible to do without a cleric and you will be bombarded for requests for this and that. this is the class of a social person and i would not recommend a non social person playing it.

archer- uncommon at higher levels- the archer is a master of distances and milking every drop of damage they can get from their weapons. if you can think creatively and like controlling as well as damaging in a squad then the archer has a lot of things you will like.
    if you just want to deal lots of damage then the archer can do that, but i would not recommend an archer for you.

blademaster- fairly common- blade masters are a 'stunning' addition to any group. a good blade master has to strike a balance between toughness and power. additionally they have to be able to adapt to any situation the most since they are usually in the front lines of it. if you like collecting weapons, and having nifty flashy moves then the blademaster will appeal to you.

wizard- rare- wizards are hard to play, much more so then all of the other classes, however they have some of the flashiest moves and greatest single hit damage of any other class. if you enjoy a challenge and being different from all of the others then the wizard will let you stand out a little bit (granted being good at your class will usually let you stand out in your own right anyway, as opposed to being the goober who wanted to play a wizard ^^).
    patience is a virtue
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    barbarian -common- the undisputed tank, if you enjoy protecting your fellow players and being able to go toe to toe with most anything then the tank is right for you. the barb requires a little more intelligence then most damage dealing classes because you have to know when to cancel spells while at the same time holding agro from said damage dealers. sadly barbarians are less appreciated then they should be so that is something to consider when rolling this class.

I'm sorry, but are we playing the same version of the game? Since the Rising Tide expansion, barbs rarely tank anything past FB69, and are seen mostly as "buff monkeys" past 90 unless they re-stat to a 4/5 APS build. (Trust me, I wish it wasn't true...)

Also, you neglected to mention Assassins and Psychics, and the newest additions, Mystics and Seekers...
  • EmeryFlower - Dreamweaver
    EmeryFlower - Dreamweaver Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    every class has the potential to be a great class if you know how to utilize it to its advantages, but based on my limited insight and experience then...

veno- common- if you like having pets, multi tasking and helping in subtler and often times less appreciated ways then the veno is right for you. a good veno can make any run smoother and easier, and are versatile enough to fill many roles in a squad. a veno is a puller, debuffer, amplifier, tank assistant and protector of the less well armored classes.

barbarian-common but don't expect them to party with you- the undisputed tank until level 90, then you are basically tanking for non-aps squad and lowbies, if you enjoy protecting your fellow players and being able to go toe to toe with most anything then the tank is right for you. the barb requires a little more intelligence then most damage dealing classes because you have to know when to cancel spells while at the same time holding agro from said damage dealers. sadly barbarians are less appreciated then they should be so that is something to consider when rolling this class.

cleric- same as barb- the main healer, if you don't mind having to rely on a squad for a significant portion of the game then you probably will enjoy having a squad rely on you. at higher levels most dungeons and instances are impossible to do without a cleric and you will be bombarded for requests for this and that. this is the class of a social person and i would not recommend a non social person playing it. Be prepared for any and all QQing about how you let people die even though it was their own idiotic faults.

archer- more than enough- the archer is a master of distances and milking every drop of damage they can get from their weapons. if you can think creatively and like controlling as well as damaging in a squad then the archer has a lot of things you will like.
    if you just want to deal lots of damage then the archer can do that, but i would not recommend an archer for you.

blademaster- way more than enough- blade masters are a 'stunning' addition to any group. a good blade master has to strike a balance between toughness and power. additionally they have to be able to adapt to any situation the most since they are usually in the front lines of it. if you like collecting weapons, and having nifty flashy moves then the blademaster will appeal to you. Too bad you're only considered 'good' if you have 4-5aps. most people don't realise you need axes too for end game instances.

wizard- rare- wizards are hard to play, much more so then all of the other classes, however they have some of the flashiest moves and greatest single hit damage of any other class. if you enjoy a challenge and being different from all of the others then the wizard will let you stand out a little bit (granted being good at your class will usually let you stand out in your own right anyway, as opposed to being the goober who wanted to play a wizard ^^).

You forgot Sin, Psy, Mystic and Seeker. b:shutup

Fixed for you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Happily forum married to Zannie again. >:O Haters gonna hate
  • Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide
    Fiorrello_ - Raging Tide Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    alright then.

assassins- so common you can't throw a stone without hitting a stealthed one- do you like doing insane amounts of damage without having to worry about tactics and control like an archer does? does sneaking around and going invisible appeal to you? a properly built assassin is the fastest killer in the game, aside from maybe a psy or wiz one shotting something. against bosses assassins are the preferred damage dealers in many higher level instances. assassins however suffer from the same traits that make them great, since they are so powerful and hit so fast you can and often will steal agro from the tank. if you like being obviously over powered and are a little kamakazi then the assassin is right for you.

psychics- so common that the stone you where throwing earlier was probably aimed at one of them. about a 50-50 chance- probably the best way to describe a psychic is as the phew phew class. a psychic hits hard and hits fast, and punishes anything that tries to hit it. if you like having an adaptable skill based defense and offence then the psychic has a lot to offer you. the psy however is a creature of extremes, you can't have your cake and eat it to, you can either hit like a truck hauling bricks and get knocked over by a feather, or laugh at mobs like an insane golem while you tickle them to death.
    patience is a virtue
  • outlawsk
    outlawsk Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I have nearly the same problem.I had venomancer lvl 19 (my pet was Glacial Walker) and on lvl 19,it exped very slow,cause i had only 150-200 HP(i cant remember).
    Now i have earthguard lvl 5...
    I tried every class up to lvl 5,and earthguard seems to me as best PvM class.
    So can you please help me what class to chose?I will be glad about blademaster or earthguard...i want to be only PvM