Coins vs Gold

Options
SovereignVis - Sanctuary
SovereignVis - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
I have been looking at the price of gold and the price of [Wraith Officer's Badge]. I have over 20 mil right now that I would like to use to get my rep high enough to get rank gear. Some people have told me I can get more if I just buy them with coins and others say if I use the 20 mil coins to buy gold I can get more that way. So I would like to hear what you think is a better way to spend the 20 mil and why?
Post edited by SovereignVis - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Okeano - Harshlands
    Okeano - Harshlands Posts: 4,943 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It's always cheaper to get gold with your 20 mil from bid (the bottom list of the AH, not the direct buy on the top list). The only way to get rep badges is with gold, and all the badges you see in shop are bought with gold then sold at a profit for coins. So badges bought with coin will always be more expensive.
  • Ankiel - Raging Tide
    Ankiel - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    pull out a calculator and find out

if you currently have coins, the 2% it costs to convert that into gold may not be worth it

however, if you currently have gold, you are almost guaranteed to get a better deal if you buy them with your gold

it wont be a huge difference either way, but its very simple math to find out
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You need to calculate it yourself. I suggest using a spreadsheet:

- Column A has gold prices in increments of 5k
    - Column B has the price of a rep badge based on the gold price of that row

It takes about 60 seconds to type up.

After that, you know exactly how much each rep badge is based on the gold price, AH tax, etc. You can then see if you can find a better deal.

I think the cheapest method is to do the aforementioned spreadsheet, then set up a cat shop overnight to buy rep badges at a price cheaper than the cheapest AH gold.
  • Brus - Lost City
    Brus - Lost City Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    In Lost City the badges were 7,5~8k in the first three days and gold was 825~900k
    ( was cheaper to buy with gold)

Today they are 8~9k and gold almost touches 1mil.
    (Cheaper to buy with coins)
  • SovereignVis - Sanctuary
    SovereignVis - Sanctuary Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You need to calculate it yourself. I suggest using a spreadsheet:

- Column A has gold prices in increments of 5k
    - Column B has the price of a rep badge based on the gold price of that row

It takes about 60 seconds to type up.

After that, you know exactly how much each rep badge is based on the gold price, AH tax, etc. You can then see if you can find a better deal.

I think the cheapest method is to do the aforementioned spreadsheet, then set up a cat shop overnight to buy rep badges at a price cheaper than the cheapest AH gold.

Yes making a spreadsheet would be a good idea to compare prices. I think I might just try that.
  • amandisha74
    amandisha74 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    It's always cheaper to get gold with your 20 mil from bid (the bottom list of the AH, not the direct buy on the top list). The only way to get rep badges is with gold, and all the badges you see in shop are bought with gold then sold at a profit for coins. So badges bought with coin will always be more expensive.

Unless they have ripped the MoG's out of the game and nobody wants them anymore, and the paniced vendor is trying to recoup some of there inevitable losses. ijs
  • Ankiel - Raging Tide
    Ankiel - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Unless they have ripped the MoG's out of the game and nobody wants them anymore, and the paniced vendor is trying to recoup some of there inevitable losses. ijs

some of us still need rank 8 :(
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    ColdSnow - Dreamweaver Posts: 983 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Calculate it yourself, since every Server has different prices. :)

Calculate it 4 times tho (i take prices from Dreamwaver as an example).

1. with current Goldprice for Seller (f.e. Selling price for 950k)

Lets say you need 200k rep and you buy it with gold in packages (50 Badges cost 45 Silver)

200k rep / 25 per badge= 8000 badges needed
    8000 / 50 = 160 packages needed
    160 packages *45 Silver = 72 Gold needed
    72 Gold * the current Goldprice for seller of 950k~ = 68,4mil

2. with current Goldprice for Buyer (f.e. Buying price at 900k) and compare to catshop

200k rep / 25 per badge = 8000 badges needed
    72 Gold * the current Goldprice for buyer of 900k~ = 64,8mil

3. with average Goldprice when it drops (at Dreamwaver its around 700k-800k)

72 Gold * average price when it drops 750k~ = 54mil

ofcourse you would need to wait till next rep sale, cause i doubt that the price drops till they are out of the boutque

4. with the price in catshops (each 8-9k) compare with calculations above

8000 badges * 8,5k = 68mil <--almost same as you would buy it to "selling" price in AH

So not much difference here.

If you have only coins and want it desperatly now, buy it with coins or to goldprices for "buyer". Its always cheaper. People buy gold when it drops and invest in badges to sell it with profit (at current goldprice).

If you have already gold and you want it now, buy it with gold. Then you would have less trouble with fee etc.

My personal advice:
    If you have gold, sell it now. Buy more gold with profit when it dropped (most likely in half month, when rep sale is over). Keep the gold till next rep sale and invest it in badges through the boutique.

If you have only coins, wait till gold dropped and buy it. Invest it in next badge sale.

IMO..i m not in hurry to get rep gear and i survive without it as well. :)

PS: i need rank8 as well on my cleric thats why the math. Feel free to correct if i calculated something wrong..but thats what i m going to do :)
    If i m trolling and spamming on forum...then i cant sleep and need a good laugh
  • Brus - Lost City
    Brus - Lost City Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I was about to buy 700 x8k(5,6mil) but then the price went to 9k
    Now they sell some for 10k

In the same time Gold is 950,000~1,050,000.

Sweet >.>
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Calculate it yourself, since every Server has different prices. :)

Calculate it 4 times tho (i take prices from Dreamwaver as an example).

<snip>

- Your math does not take into account Auction House tax. If you always buy cash shop items through another player, then you can omit this. However, if you plan on buying through the AH feature, you need to take into account the 2% tax.

- The spreadsheet idea I posted earlier does all of this for you.
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    - Your math does not take into account Auction House tax. If you always buy cash shop items through another player, then you can omit this. However, if you plan on buying through the AH feature, you need to take into account the 2% tax.

- The spreadsheet idea I posted earlier does all of this for you.

Actually i did. i mentioned it under my calculations. i didnt consider the taxes cause i took the average price of gold and mentioned it as "fee" underneath.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Actually i did. i mentioned it under my calculations. i didnt consider the taxes cause i took the average price of gold and mentioned it as "fee" underneath.

Is there a particular reason why you did not mention it *in* your calculations?
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Is there a particular reason why you did not mention it *in* your calculations?

cause it wouldnt matter to me. buying or selling gold, both have taxes.
    so imo its in free stand on buying and selling gold at current price (since its only 50k~ difference anyway prices).

As for buying gold later on to 700k the taxes doesnt matter to me as well since its obvious you would pay less and get more. so i let it out on propose of simplicity.
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Some people have told me I can get more if I just buy them with coins
    Some people are wrong. Don't listen to them.

The only time coins will be cheaper is right after somebody has just put in a large Gold buying order in the AH and Gold prices are temporarily inflated. But that typically only lasts about 20 minutes.

Watch the AH for an hour or so to make sure prices are stable, put in a Buy order that's slightly higher than the other orders, wait, and then use the Gold to buy your Wraith Badges. You'll have saved anywhere from 5%-15% (depends how competitive your server's merchants are).

And hey, you could even then go ahead and sell them for a profit, then buy more, sell those, buy more, sell those, etc..., etc... and if you keep at it within a week you'll have 20 million worth of Wraith Badges plus your original 20 million coins.
    As for buying gold later on to 700k the taxes doesnt matter to me as well since its obvious you would pay less and get more. so i let it out on propose of simplicity.
    Unfortunately, I've known a few people who have lost significant amounts of in-game money because they wanted to get into trading, but they didn't think the 2% fee was worth keeping track of when they were doing their calculations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • ColdSnow - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Unfortunately, I've known a few people who have lost significant amounts of in-game money because they wanted to get into trading, but they didn't think the 2% fee was worth keeping track of when they were doing their calculations.

i thought its common sence by difference of 200k (selling at 950k and buying at 700k) that you would still make a win regardless the 30k~ ( 19k for selling and 14k for buying) taxes.