Crafting In video games

Options
Freizer - Lost City
Freizer - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
So this is my theory and the paper i'm procrastinating on.

Any opinion on how crafting in video games (not just pwi) is an outcry to the lack of labor going on with today's youth? That is to say, that the lack of knowlege in say basic home repair (basic wiring) or the lack of know how in cars (how many of you actually know what's under the hood of your car and how it works? let alone how to fix a problem with it) My argument is that there is a direct correlation between the recognizable existence of crafting in video games to the recognition of concrete value in certain manual skills.

any thoughts are welcome ^^
Lost City Sage barb and Retired Coven Marshal.
Post edited by Freizer - Lost City on

Comments

• Kieve - Dreamweaver
    Kieve - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    . . . and it takes purified oils and animal fur to create a pair of swords. Also jade of a particular color. Furthermore, you can distill wine (of questionable vintage and proof, but "wine" nonetheless) from rocks and random timbers. Makes total sense to me!

b:chuckle
    Troll answer aside, some games do it better than others, but I dunno if you could link an intrinsic value in real-world trade skills with the "necessity" of MMO crafting. I think it's typically considered either a way to make money (crafting high-value items for sale) or a personal desire to be "self-made" and have your name & effort in the things you own/use ingame.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Clockwork spider luvs you.
    youtube.com/watch?v=J9TPpBwVhM8
  • Freizer - Lost City
    Freizer - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    . . . and it takes purified oils and animal fur to create a pair of swords. Also jade of a particular color. Furthermore, you can distill wine (of questionable vintage and proof, but "wine" nonetheless) from rocks and random timbers. Makes total sense to me!

b:chuckle
    Troll answer aside, some games do it better than others, but I dunno if you could link an intrinsic value in real-world trade skills with the "necessity" of MMO crafting. I think it's typically considered either a way to make money (crafting high-value items for sale) or a personal desire to be "self-made" and have your name & effort in the things you own/use ingame.
    sorry, my hands were a bit tied due to PWI's TOS about mentioning other games (But a certain sand box game that requires you to farm blocks of wood to make tools and progressively get more complex) Mine
    : P. I was more addressing the self made aspect of that, as we do tend to respect "self made" chars more than people who just buy stuff out right, and the personal pride of farming/crating something for yourself. (where as it's a concrete proof saying you have this piece of armor, or weapon) (as concrete as you can be on the internet)
    Lost City Sage barb and Retired Coven Marshal.
  • KageYingZi - Heavens Tear
    KageYingZi - Heavens Tear Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

I thought you traded those materials for the wine,not for them to use it to make the wine?And the jade was probably a bad translation cause I have played PW-CN but failed to see why it is called jade in PWI.
  • Kieve - Dreamweaver
    Kieve - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Fine fine, "colored rock of strange lustre." And either way, the random minerals become booze, unless you're suggesting Wine Guy is swapping his secret stash to get a leg up in some black-market natural resources biz.
    Also: why'd you single out the joke part of my post? Feh...

I dunno, Freizer - you might be able to make the arguement, but I think very little of it has to do with encouraging any kind of work ethic. "Pride in one's creation" could certainly be a factor, but if it were the primary concern I'd think there would be a few less phallic monuments in M-C.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Clockwork spider luvs you.
    youtube.com/watch?v=J9TPpBwVhM8
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I really don't see how you can make this argument.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Ankiel - Raging Tide
    Ankiel - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i think the aspects of merchanting, which includes studying and understanding various markets ( and with gold/coin conversion, perhaps a hint of currency trading ) the concept of risk taking and risk/reward payoffs is more relevant to real life then making shiny things out of other shiny things 0.o