Hard to make "Real" friends in PWI now?

Options
Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
Jay_Dubbz - Lost City Posts: 385 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
I dunno about everyone else but it seems to me that its like impossible to find any good friends on pwi lately, or maybe its just my server lol?

It just seems like before pwi became a frosty hyper stone 5aps nirvana fest, that its was easier to make some good friends. You would meet some pretty cool people out there questing and doing rb for exp.

Now it just seems like the only friends i make are people ive ran frost or nirvana with. And those are just friends that pm you asking you to come to nirvana or bh lol

Ima cleric so my friends list is always full, i'm constanly deleting and adding ppl but ive only have like 5 "real" friends that arent frost, nirvana, bh buddies lol
Post edited by Jay_Dubbz - Lost City on

Comments

• Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm not having any issues, you must be a pretty unlikeable guy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I'm not having any issues, you must be a pretty unlikeable guy.

i am likeableb:cry
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's hard to make friends with people on PW, but I certainly have a hard time keeping connected with people who aren't in my guild. It's not that I'm elitist or think that only people in my guild are cool enough to hang with, but it's kind of irritating to go between three different whisper conversations while talking in guild chat and sometimes even having voice chat and squad chat as well. It would be nice if the "chat room" feature were a part of the actual chat box, not a separate window to itself.

But when it comes right down to it, in this game everyone is trying to level or reach some other goal. If you don't play a class like a cleric or barb, you're less likely to make random connections with people because you're not an "in demand" class. (Obviously you are a cleric)And the more "in demand" classes have to deal with people adding them but only talking to them when it suits their needs. So if you want to actually meet people, try talking to random strangers or helping someone out just because you can. If a connection has obviously died off, simply move on. b:chuckle
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I dunno about everyone else but it seems to me that its like impossible to find any good friends on pwi lately, or maybe its just my server lol?

It just seems like before pwi became a frosty hyper stone 5aps nirvana fest, that its was easier to make some good friends. You would meet some pretty cool people out there questing and doing rb for exp.

Now it just seems like the only friends i make are people ive ran frost or nirvana with. And those are just friends that pm you asking you to come to nirvana or bh lol

Ima cleric so my friends list is always full, i'm constanly deleting and adding ppl but ive only have like 5 "real" friends that arent frost, nirvana, bh buddies lol

I usually only make new friends nowadays in bhs and faction. I never see much of anyone out questing when I'm on my wizard, and if I do I usually get ignored. :/ Just seems like everyone has their butts glued to fccs now. >.< And even when I decide to fcc on my wizard, no one wants to do a regualr run. Everyone wants alt/main **** now.

It would be easier to meet new people if that was different I think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • Judo_ - Sanctuary
    Judo_ - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Not so hard to make "Friends" but to actually trust someone to the point of calling them a true friend is a the key...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lyritha - Heavens Tear
    Lyritha - Heavens Tear Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    you are just now learning this valued life lesson?
    Your job only wants you because you are useful.
    Your girlfriend only wants you because you are useful and vise versa.
    Your friends only call you because you are useful.

Anything in between can be answered with quid pro quo

you get this and they get that.... unfortunately the world revolves around harassment in some form. b:bye
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I usually only make new friends nowadays in bhs and faction. I never see much of anyone out questing when I'm on my wizard, and if I do I usually get ignored. :/ Just seems like everyone has their butts glued to fccs now. >.< And even when I decide to fcc on my wizard, no one wants to do a regualr run. Everyone wants alt/main **** now.

It would be easier to meet new people if that was different I think.

I agree, i think the game is kinda isolating ppl now outside of the instances, we need more incentive to get out of those dirty dungeons and gets some fresh air out on the fields lol
  • Freizer - Lost City
    Freizer - Lost City Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Jay dubs <3
    Lost City Sage barb and Retired Coven Marshal.
  • silver02
    silver02 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Well, it's hard to get connected with people not in your guild, people who you've met in a bh that was pretty neat. You add them to your FL thinking, "Yeah that girl was very nice, saved my life from agro-hungry Sin." Then you don't get connected with them till your in another bh with them b:sad

To me, best friends are in the family-type factions those that are loyal and don't really care about the power, more about the fun and doing it together b:victory
    Maybe getting together more with people in your faction? or maybe inviting people you meet into the faction your in? Being with them more often might make you "real" friends.
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    edited April 2011
    Options
    silver02 wrote: »
    Well, it's hard to get connected with people not in your guild, people who you've met in a bh that was pretty neat. You add them to your FL thinking, "Yeah that girl was very nice, saved my life from agro-hungry Sin." Then you don't get connected with them till your in another bh with them b:sad

To me, best friends are in the family-type factions those that are loyal and don't really care about the power, more about the fun and doing it together b:victory
    Maybe getting together more with people in your faction? or maybe inviting people you meet into the faction your in? Being with them more often might make you "real" friends.

yea I agree, I wish miss how it was 2 years old. Meeting people, questing , hanging out. I mean it was even easier making friends from rpking. I use to get a lot of friends from pking them lol
  • _Aubree__ - Dreamweaver
    _Aubree__ - Dreamweaver Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Use vent. If you hang in vent with people you squad with, you may make friends easier.
  • Kieve - Dreamweaver
    Kieve - Dreamweaver Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Use vent. If you hang in vent with people you squad with, you may make friends easier.

Unless you think it's funny to sing along with Rebecca Black, in which case everyone will blacklist you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Clockwork spider luvs you.
    youtube.com/watch?v=J9TPpBwVhM8
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I wouldn't say it's hard to make friends with people on PW, but I certainly have a hard time keeping connected with people who aren't in my guild. It's not that I'm elitist or think that only people in my guild are cool enough to hang with, but it's kind of irritating to go between three different whisper conversations while talking in guild chat and sometimes even having voice chat and squad chat as well. It would be nice if the "chat room" feature were a part of the actual chat box, not a separate window to itself.

You do know you can filter the chat screen to show what you want it to show right?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I just create a chat room. Friends are welcome. Anyone else... Well... If they're nice, then it's fine, if they are looking for... Whatever, they can go elsewhere. b:bye

lately though, most of my friends have joined the same guild as I'm in. Though, I belong to two right now.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Shroom_Fairy - Heavens Tear
    Shroom_Fairy - Heavens Tear Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I will be your friendb:pleased
    You know, your eyebrow drives me crazy. It's so thick, i'ts so dark, so very...connected...b:dirty
  • ILubby - Raging Tide
    ILubby - Raging Tide Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    you are just now learning this valued life lesson?
    Your job only wants you because you are useful.
    Your girlfriend only wants you because you are useful and vise versa.
    Your friends only call you because you are useful.

Anything in between can be answered with quid pro quo

you get this and they get that.... unfortunately the world revolves around harassment in some form. b:bye
    QFT

And, make a friend or two, you don't need more, and you'll save a lot of drama. Everyone else is just a bunch of pixels b:bye
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I don't have more trouble making friends now then before. Pretty much always had a full fl. Half of them always were ppl that just want me added for "practical" reasons. When I still played my barb, that was to tank bosses or to do TT, now it's more for vana. Only thing that changed on that side is the "can you help on *insert random quest boss*?" changed to a shorter version of "vana?" or "bh?". The other half are the "real" friends, meaning ppl I don't only discus game stuff with, and that I'll easily ditch w/e I'm doing for to help them out.

I think it's inevitable to have ppl adding you just cause you're usefull. Always been like that imo. I clearly noticed when I quit my barb. Those who had me on fl only for their bh metal/3-3 didn't even want to know my fishies name. But a lot asked me to pm them, asked if I needed a hand on quests etc.

I'm still doing random bh and vana squads too. It's the easiest way to run into new ppl, cause I don't like to stay only with 1 secluded little group. Ofc, I don't make a lot of friends every week this way but every now and then I run into a cool person (who makes it worth to go with fail squads from the past month :P )
  • Tynne - Lost City
    Tynne - Lost City Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Jay_Dubbz if you ever need someone to chat with you can always message me :P. IGN: Tynne

>_> although after 1:30ish am im probably afk passed out at the keyboard..
  • Honourless - Heavens Tear
    Honourless - Heavens Tear Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I agree, i think the game is kinda isolating ppl now outside of the instances, we need more incentive to get out of those dirty dungeons and gets some fresh air out on the fields lol

Permanently double normal world mobs drops and experience,problem solved.
    How to be pro at all recent COD games,lay claymore behind you at exit to room,lie down and shoot anyone coming in front door,rinse and repeat.
    Host advantage get you killed?Never fear,with a 50% chance of spawning in behind your killer revenge will surely be yours.
    Can't aim for ****?Never fear.aim assist and cursor magnetism!
    Best of all,after a few kills the game will play itself and bump your k/d to new highs with its killstreaks system!
  • DudeLupus - Raging Tide
    DudeLupus - Raging Tide Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Being a wizard, my best friends in pwi are in my guild. A lot of times after doing a bh ppl will add me to their FL, but not usually before. It's not until you heal the cleric and commit suicide to prevent a squad wipe that ppl actually seem to like you, lol.

Being at a low level, ppl still ask me for help with quests. Especially the "kill 50 monsters" type of quests, so I'll always help people when I can.

But I like to think most of the people on my FL are there because of my outstanding wit and pleasant demeanor.

Nobody wants to be friends with a person who can only say "LFS".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Permanently double normal world mobs drops and experience,problem solved.

Yea that would be nice. I think dq rewards was a tiny bit of incentive as well. But, alot of people just buy the dq items tho lol.

Also, the fact that hyper exp stones have made the in game quests pretty irrelevant. There is no reason anymore to go out and kill 80 mobs for a tiny bit of exp that can be gotten in 1 second with hypers lol. And since hypers are so cheap they are totally accessible to pretty much anyone in the game. They need to adjust the quests a bit to give people a reason to actually do them

It seems that pwi wants us to be inside the instances 24/7
  • Brus - Lost City
    Brus - Lost City Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    You gimmi moneyh, me be ur TRUE FRIEND 4eva
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Honestly there are only two reasons I can think of for your lack of friends.

1. You are unlikeable.
    2. Your gears/skills suck.

The likable factor can't readily be changed so I am not going to go in to that. But I have noticed that the better your gear is... the easier its to make "friends". Whether if those are real friends... its for you to decide. Personally, no one gets on my archer's friend list unless they are already on my lesser alts' friend list or we have a common friend that I already get along with.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    i've seen this myself. first, earlier in the game, no one wanted a veno unless they had a herc-both as a sign that that particular veno was a 'better player' and other such nonsense. but now its all about how fast you can hit, how fast you can run an instance. it seems that everyone has forgotten that the simple playing of the game is why we are all here. the trip through the dungeon, no matter how often you have run it, is going to always be a little different, with the different squads you are part of. its one reason i dont like the wining of all but the highest dungeons...it cuts down the number of mobs, yes, but that also cuts down on the amount of exp/spirit you get from killing those mobs.

the current obsession with speed and greed ( the "i have more than you/better gear than use/etc") is sad. when i started the game, people used to help others. around the entrances of FBs, people would congregate,both looking for help with the FB and people who wanted to help run it for the tabber, or just talking. now? i havent seen anything like this, even around the high level dungeons. in factions, there are friends, but there are also those who obsessed with what they can do, and in showing it off, often in ways that are against the TOS, such as griefing other players. its sad to see people like that, who can be of marvelous help to other players, putting that skill and strength to good use in helping others.

i miss the old days so much.b:sad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • Jay_Dubbz - Lost City
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Honestly there are only two reasons I can think of for your lack of friends.

1. You are unlikeable.
    2. Your gears/skills suck.

The likable factor can't readily be changed so I am not going to go in to that. But I have noticed that the better your gear is... the easier its to make "friends". Whether if those are real friends... its for you to decide. Personally, no one gets on my archer's friend list unless they are already on my lesser alts' friend list or we have a common friend that I already get along with.

So you're basically saying im unlikeable with sucky gear? lol. Ill admit I dont have the op cash gear I just have hh90 armor and hh99 weapon, working on hh99 set. Not the best, but good enough for pretty much any instance. If people are only friends with you because of you're gear, those arent "real" friends lol.

I've made a lot of friends in the past with sucky npc gear so I dont think its my gear lol
    When I say"real" i mean friends that go beyond the game.

Im a pretty modest guy, I really dont see how I could be unlikeable
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    -.-
    How to make (true) friends for nubs?
    well, that's what I think about your topic, seriously...

TRUE friends does not mean to have MANY of them and to be POPULAR. True friends are rare, you should care about the ones you have and not to have more....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • _Ink_ - Raging Tide
    _Ink_ - Raging Tide Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

You do know you can filter the chat screen to show what you want it to show right?

*Blinkie*Yes. I'm talking about the actual chat rooms in the game, not the normal/squad/faction/whisper feature. But where you can go into a chat room and it opens up in a separate box.

And if you're talking about the fact that I talk to so many people at once, I can't really just turn off one of the chat options(such as guild, squad, whisper, whatever) while I'm talking in one in particular or I'll have people flooding me with messages, asking where I am then sending other people to message me/spamming me with those private IM boxes that pop up separate and it ends up being easier to just deal with all the people wanting my attention than to ignore them. b:chuckle
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Options
    *Blinkie*Yes. I'm talking about the actual chat rooms in the game, not the normal/squad/faction/whisper feature. But where you can go into a chat room and it opens up in a separate box.

And if you're talking about the fact that I talk to so many people at once, I can't really just turn off one of the chat options(such as guild, squad, whisper, whatever) while I'm talking in one in particular or I'll have people flooding me with messages, asking where I am then sending other people to message me/spamming me with those private IM boxes that pop up separate and it ends up being easier to just deal with all the people wanting my attention than to ignore them. b:chuckle
    That's what I'm saying. Just set guild chat to show guild, squad, and PMs and you can filter out everything else. (except for duke blacke ofc)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So you're basically saying im unlikeable with sucky gear? lol. Ill admit I dont have the op cash gear I just have hh90 armor and hh99 weapon, working on hh99 set. Not the best, but good enough for pretty much any instance. If people are only friends with you because of you're gear, those arent "real" friends lol.

I've made a lot of friends in the past with sucky npc gear so I dont think its my gear lol

I agree that gears and even the class of your character shouldn't matter when making friends in-game. What if should really come down to is the player's attitude and personality. Those attributes shine brightly through a player's avatar just the same as game-playing skills.

But the op's point here is carrying over friendships into the real world. That is easier said than done because of the anonymous nature of the internet. It's really easy for people to portray themselves online in ways drastically inconsistent with who they are in real life. Especially those who have social impediments (like me) This makes real life confrontations really awkward. Been there and done that. As mentioned earlier, best way to foster real world friendships from an online fantasy game would be to chat on vent or teamspeak but use caution and play it safe.

I do have real-life social issues, have had them all my life and the internet is my most comfortable segway into a social arena so I take extraordinary measures to make my online personality consistent with who I am in real life.

And Jay, if you see me in-game feel free to drop me a PM if you want to chat. I'm in mountian time zone (server time +1 hour) in the US and on in the evenings mainly.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear
    Kiyoshi - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,385 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

I am saying its a lot easier to make friends if you have a full set of r9s. After all... who won't want a friend list full of r9s.
    I agree that gears and even the class of your character shouldn't matter when making friends in-game. What if should really come down to is the player's attitude and personality. Those attributes shine brightly through a player's avatar just the same as game-playing skills.

But the op's point here is carrying over friendships into the real world. That is easier said than done because of the anonymous nature of the internet. It's really easy for people to portray themselves online in ways drastically inconsistent with who they are in real life. Especially those who have social impediments (like me) This makes real life confrontations really awkward. Been there and done that. As mentioned earlier, best way to foster real world friendships from an online fantasy game would be to chat on vent or teamspeak but use caution and play it safe.

Gear play a huge part in pwi friendship. After all... you don't usually see a +12 r9 in the same squad as a stock npc gears. Huge difference in gears just doesn't work.

And outside of maybe a FEW people on my in-game friend list... I am not sure if I am willing to meet anyone from pwi outside the game. Half (majority) of my guild is borderline psychopath... not sure if its a good idea for me to place myself within stabbing distance of them.
    1. If I kill you; do something about it yourself, don't go complaining to my wife.
    2. If you have less kill counts then me, don't expect me to take pk advice from you.
    3. If you are hiding behind an alt, don't expect me to acknowledge your existence.

Tokichiro - Heavy Armor Fish / Kiyoshi - Dual Blade Elf