Multi-Clienting Rule Changes

Comments

• SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited April 2011
    Yup Lapp hit the nail on the head there. That's pretty much exactly how it goes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Spirit_Age - Raging Tide
    Spirit_Age - Raging Tide Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Win b:victory
    I quit. Nothing ever changes @ PWE or PW CN . Expansion was over hyped. Guild bases (that looked cool) can be destroyed, so why waste the time if your a in a small faction like me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Dorset. I quit. Nothing ever changes @ PWE or PW CN
    -ZeroDefects-"trollin trollin trollin. keep those flames a rollin. keep that post count growing. flamebait!" -Vitenka- "You are modifying the game files. That's not allowed. The freaking end."
  • Kniraven - Lost City
    Kniraven - Lost City Posts: 2,620 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I know it's been said before, but a little history is in order here:

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... You used to have to modify the client to run multiple instances on the same PC. Within a few months after release, this changed. You could run multiple instances simply by running elementclient.exe directly, without running the launcher. While you didn't have to modify any files to do this, you DID have to bypass the normal startup routine, and you were arguably "exploiting a bug" to do this.

Fast forward to current. At some point in the intervening two years, things changed so that you were able to run multiple instances simply by running the launcher each time (don't believe me? Try it. I have two instances running right now, both started by running the launcher).

This is why they changed the rule. It is now possible to launch two instances *accidentally*, something you weren't previously able to do. They had essentially three choices: 1. Change the files back to requiring modding for multiple instances, 2. Change the ToS to *explicitly* not allow multi-clienting (and thus have to define multi-clienting) and be in a position of trying to determine whether a second instance is "accidental", or 3. Say "**** it" and allow a second instance. It's a bit of a stretch to say you accidently opened three instances:)

#3 required the least amount of effort *AND* is the only option that required neither China nor the Legal department to get involved.

Writing their long-winded, wall of text thread requires more effort than just naming the client "Element Client" again or making it search for the text "Perfect World International".

Tbh I think this just proves they didn't realize why it stopped working and are incompetent...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rickioo - Archosaur
    Rickioo - Archosaur Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys,

For a long long time, ever since PWI was first released in fact, we've always had the rule that you could only run one PWI client per machine.

The reasoning behind this rule was the fact that running more than one client could not be accomplished without editing the game files, and editing game files was not allowed.

This led to many players running PWI on a second or even third computer, usually to be able to run a cat shop while their main account actually played.

Some time ago, the client itself changed, and running multiple clients was possible without editing game files. For consistency's sake, we did not modify the multi-clienting rule, and what followed were a lot of questions as to its validity, now that the original reason for it no longer applied.

Well, we've talked about it, and we've come to a new set of rules for multi-clienting. It should be easier to follow, easier to enforce, and it will help level the playing field between people with one computer and people with multiple computers.

So here we go:

• You may only have 2 accounts per person, regardless of how many computers you own.

There isn't a viable reason to create an excessive number of accounts, so any suspicious activity from now on will be fully dealt with. We aren't going to punish you for having existing accounts prior to this rule, but you can only be online on two at once at the most.

*Note: Excessive account creation has been and will continued to be pursued. Provided you did not abuse this before, you should have nothing to worry about.

• You may only play on two characters at the same time, but they can both level up OR one can level up while the other is a vendor alt.

If you want to keep one leveling account and one vendor alt account, that's fine. You cannot, however, actively level two characters while having a third account to act as a shop alt. We will be actively enforcing this.

This new policy is in effect starting now, however, we will continue to refine and improve upon this, so this policy is subject to change. Read on for examples that may specifically deal with your situation.

*Example: If you're a family of 3 playing PWI, then you can have 2 accounts for each member of your family. You WILL have to prove this though if we notice any suspicious activity from your household.

*Example: You can actively have two LV 65 Barbs grinding on HT Server on the same computer, but no vendor alts online.

*Example: You (as an individual human being) cannot have 3 accounts active, it doesn't matter if you own 3 or 30 computers.

*Example: You cannot have two characters leveling at once if you also have a shop alt logged in.

Two characters maximum online at once for any situation.

Feel free to discuss your reactions to these changes, but please keep it civil.

Thanks!

so me useing 2 accounts 1 as a stall and me playing the other i safe when my brother plays his char on his pc here will i get baned because there more than 2 accounts online from my ip or not?
    Started Playing Early June Of 2005 Back In The Very First Beta In Perfect World History

The True Old School b:cool
  • Promivius - Dreamweaver
    Promivius - Dreamweaver Posts: 278 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    so me useing 2 accounts 1 as a stall and me playing the other i safe when my brother plays his char on his pc here will i get baned because there more than 2 accounts online from my ip or not?

You might get banned if the "suspicious" activity within your household can't be proved otherwise.

This applies:
    *Example: If you're a family of 3 playing PWI, then you can have 2 accounts for each member of your family. You WILL have to prove this though if we notice any suspicious activity from your household.

In other words:
    You want to play and have your shop up you better coordinate with you brother when he plays too to avoid issue's beforehand.
    If you have your shop up and you are playing too and your brother gets online and something is deemed suspicious you are sh.. out of luck and you will get flagged by PWI.
    At that time YOU have to prove to PWI you did nothing wrong. If you can't prove this you might get banned.

AKA we players are criminals per definition as we players are to prove we are innocent.
    Kinda like the law backwards where "we are innocent until proven guilty."
    I speak for myself. My opinions are my own.
    Assuming I speak for others is therefor void.
  • Moruadh - Heavens Tear
    Moruadh - Heavens Tear Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    As long as you guys used real info when you registered (i.e. all four accounts do not have the same registration info across the board), you'll definitely look less suspicious than the average abuser.

The GM's will try to take all things into account before banning.

Maybe I'm not comprehending what you said, so we shouldn't use real info for all our accounts?
    edited April 2011
    Maybe I'm not comprehending what you said, so we shouldn't use real info for all our accounts?

Depends on how you review this rule for yourself.

If you are "oke" with having 2 accounts you control online at any time within your household you might as well give correct information (note: you are to still to do so according to the ToS) as you will get less flagged for suspicious activity as you only have those 2 accounts running.

If you want more then the allowed amount of accounts running within a household you mind think differently..

(Hope I put it diplomatic enough without getting into trouble with "managment")
  • LappDance - Sanctuary
    LappDance - Sanctuary Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    You might get banned if the "suspicious" activity within your household can't be proved otherwise.

This applies:

In other words:
    You want to play and have your shop up you better coordinate with you brother when he plays too to avoid issue's beforehand.
    If you have your shop up and you are playing too and your brother gets online and something is deemed suspicious you are sh.. out of luck and you will get flagged by PWI.
    At that time YOU have to prove to PWI you did nothing wrong. If you can't prove this you might get banned.

AKA we players are criminals per definition as we players are to prove we are innocent.
    Kinda like the law backwards where "we are innocent until proven guilty."

Granted that PWE doesn't have a good track record in this area, but suspicious activity (to me, anyway) would be having one toon actively killing mobs and 4 toons flying 2 meters up on autofollow, obviously AFK. Or having 4 shops set up all with variations of the same name. Or... well, you get the idea.

As long as some of the toons are showing signs of independent movement, indicating that more than one person is actively playing, then you probably have nothing to worry about.
    edited April 2011
    Granted that PWE doesn't have a good track record in this area, but suspicious activity (to me, anyway) would be having one toon actively killing mobs and 4 toons flying 2 meters up on autofollow, obviously AFK. Or having 4 shops set up all with variations of the same name. Or... well, you get the idea.

As long as some of the toons are showing signs of independent movement, indicating that more than one person is actively playing, then you probably have nothing to worry about.

To this I can only respond with: Your assumption could be correct.
    As we as a community are not in the loop of what is and what is not called suspicious we can only speculate.

We have no details hence no boundaries we know we can or can not cross.

Your example could well exist if one was to have a LAN-party going at his/her home and some of the members just having a drink while the others run the group around.
    Legit? well if you could prove you and your mates of the LAN-party are indeed there I would see it as un-suspicious. Would a GM with a bad hairday think differently or whatever?

Speculation starts there.

Again we as players are to prove we are legit...
    This in itself makes my hair stand up straight.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    For so long they wouldn't define why multi-clienting was not permitted or what defined a separate computer. Now they finally give us a reason and toss on some new ambiguous rules. We're not even allowed to discuss openly the silly reasons we see our friends getting banned for.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
    edited April 2011
    tweakz wrote: »
    For so long they wouldn't define why multi-clienting was not permitted or what defined a separate computer. Now they finally give us a reason and toss on some new ambiguous rules. We're not even allowed to discuss openly the silly reasons we see our friends getting banned for.

My take on it is that PWE did get issue's with not so legit players using alternative ways to get what they needed on a scale making PWE management seeing drops in revenue.

Aka less cash.
    Less cash is a big No-No. Hence this half baked rule.

Basically if you ever consider to have a LAN-party you might as well have PWI notified upfront, best with signed papers sent in advance stating names or party-members, date and place of residence, IP, ISP of the LAN-party router-address also duly notarized and signed by a well-known law-firm, to have this party going without issue's.

Am I reading to much into this?
  • _whateverL_ - Heavens Tear
    _whateverL_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Yay! I like this new idea b:thanks
    It's really better than before how multi-clienting wasn't allowed in any ways :)
    I only have 1 computer, so I'm happy b:pleased
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    Alasen - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,874 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    tweakz wrote: »

You don't read the forums much do you? rofl
  • whtwiz
    whtwiz Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    PWI has always promoted multi accounting, an now decides to punch the people on the game who actually followed the rules an created multiple accounts. Is a complete and utter travisty of justice. Just another example of how admin. is truely out of touch with the game!!!!
  • CandyCorn - Raging Tide
    CandyCorn - Raging Tide Posts: 1,547 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    whtwiz wrote: »
    PWI has always promoted multi accounting, an now decides to punch the people on the game who actually followed the rules an created multiple accounts. Is a complete and utter travisty of justice. Just another example of how admin. is truely out of touch with the game!!!!

when was it in the rules to make multiple accounts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Move along..move along
  • Sagien - Lost City
    Sagien - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Very glad about this. I was using a friends borrowed notebook to run PWI just to catshop XD lets just say PWI and his computer don't run side by side well. Walking through arch takes an hour of lag it seems. Anyway,

One thing that wasn't mentioned that I was curious about:
    Says that yes you can have two actively leveling or one in shop and one leveling.
    Is it ok to have two in shop? Or if you're going to bed for the night do you need to take one down?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Very glad about this. I was using a friends borrowed notebook to run PWI just to catshop XD lets just say PWI and his computer don't run side by side well. Walking through arch takes an hour of lag it seems. Anyway,

One thing that wasn't mentioned that I was curious about:
    Says that yes you can have two actively leveling or one in shop and one leveling.
    Is it ok to have two in shop? Or if you're going to bed for the night do you need to take one down?
    Just as long as there's only 2 accounts involved, there's no issue.
  • whtwiz
    whtwiz Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    no Candy_Corn you the rules concerned the use of mutil-clients, hense an dont be obtuse. those of use who followed the game rules as were prior an made multiple accounts were following the rules of service
  • Cenire - Sanctuary
    Cenire - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    lol I know a guy who runs 21 cat shops 24/7, and to this day he hasn't gotten caught. Makes me wonder.
  • SatoriTempus - Dreamweaver
    SatoriTempus - Dreamweaver Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Active as in "I'm using these accounts right this second" or "I have 3 accounts I use because I want sage and demon versions of every available character and I play them at least enough to keep them active"?

Btw, there's your viable reason for 3 accounts. Not saying you have to run all 3 at once, but it's a reason to have 3 accounts, especially if the word active refers to having an account that you've managed to keep from being deleted due to not playing over x amount of time.

Gah, I really should stay away from that movie The Room. Makes my brain hurt....

EDIT* ~ LOL, it thinks I joined this month....
  • LappDance - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Active as in "I'm using these accounts right this second" or "I have 3 accounts I use because I want sage and demon versions of every available character and I play them at least enough to keep them active"?

Btw, there's your viable reason for 3 accounts. Not saying you have to run all 3 at once, but it's a reason to have 3 accounts, especially if the word active refers to having an account that you've managed to keep from being deleted due to not playing over x amount of time.

Gah, I really should stay away from that movie The Room. Makes my brain hurt....

EDIT* ~ LOL, it thinks I joined this month....

Active as in logged in simultaneously. You may only have two accounts logged in simultaneously.
  • QuickClaw - Lost City
    QuickClaw - Lost City Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    You WILL have to prove this though

i wonder how they will do this, also im curious about the legality of it seeing as how Americans are so prone to suing for the sake of suing i wonder if this will become an issue.
    Frankieraye:
    I'm not too worried about susa really. r9 does not exist in the real world
  • Lord_Neko - Sanctuary
    Lord_Neko - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    This should be made available for linked characters (if its not already).
    Some of us don't make excess accounts so linked ones available would balance it.

Note. Hammer sale, really? wanna do somethin with hammers? eliminate them from the game and take chest of coins with it!
  • Shoenfein - Archosaur
    Shoenfein - Archosaur Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I only read thru 12 pages so I don't know if anyone said what I am about to already - but here it is...

This won't be enforced, for one simple reason. Money. People that are in a hurry to level up chars buy things like hypers and training esoterica, as well as fash and other goodies. They are in a hurry, and not looking to spend countless hours working for what they want, when they can just buy it.

If PW bans the multi-account players, the revenues would plummet. I'm a 1-char no-cash grinder. Banning the people in a hurry for the sake of making the game "fair" for players like me would kill the business - and the game.

It's also potentially dangerous. As someone said before, Americans love to sue. It might be hard to justify to a court how you took someone's money, then banned them from the game, and refuse to refund the money - despite what the terms of service might say. Banning the practice could see a reversal of a lot of credit card charges and filed disputes.

I just recently started running a catshop while I play my char, and didn't realize I was violating a rule *blush*. I'm glad I didn't get banned for it.

Anyway, I think you should kill this rule, and make golden hammers a permanent item like the pickaxe. Nobody buys them now. Make them permanent items, and everyone will want to own one.

That's good for business.
    Lvl 102 Resident of Lothranis

Smith 8 | Apoth 8 | Crafts 7 | Tailor 8 | Runes 6

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Darcwolf - Lost City
    Darcwolf - Lost City Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Another great idea PWI! lets start banning people on a game thats already dying, damn you people are smart.
  • im33
    im33 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    The only problem I see with the new rules is the part where it only allows 2 accounts per person to have. The reason why is that what if someone wants more than 2 characters to actively level and want to keep them on separate accounts? I thought that was common sense to do that, I mean who in their right mind would keep their main chars they worked hard with on the same account and watch them all go down in case something happens to that account, for example hacking. **** happens right? Do you really wanna be the one it happens to? I sure don't.

Besides, allowing only 2 accounts to be online at once pretty much makes above mentioned rule unnecessary.

Otherwise yay for dual-clienting and especially the dual-leveling part, which is awesome you guys allowing.

And for those asking "how are they gonna catch ppl with 2+ accounts and multiple comp abusers and then prove it when I can just say it's my other family members, oh and btw i do that cos i have 23 computers and 200 accounts?" well yeah...If all abusers are dumb enough to admit abusing and explain how exactly they are doing it on the forums then it's not gonna be hard.
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I would just like to say... I do not play several chars, due to the fact that I only own two comps and one is only able to run a shop at best. So two chars is actually my minimum regardless. But I still think these new rules are a joke, and I have one question that I would like answered.

Why?

Would you please tell us WHY you have limited it to two characters only? I do have a good friend that has a three character playstyle, has poured a lot of time and money into it, and really enjoys playing that way. He helps out a lot of people running FBs, TTs, chrono quests etc. playing tank/cleric/DD and is amazing at it; he isn't hurting *anyone* by playing this way, but he most certainly would quit if you took it away from him. This is what you have been telling people is fine for years so this is how he developed his playstyle and poured his earnings into. Why is three characters so much worse than two? Please tell me.

I think a three to four character limit would be much more appropriate if you are insistant on putting a limit on things. You must know that these people that you *encouraged* to multibox for years have put a lot of money into a certain playstyle and you are now neglecting them that option. It really isn't fair to them.

Still waiting for an answer.

I can understand needing to cut down on people using up to 10+ catshops but a 3-4 limit does not seem unreasonable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • LappDance - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    I only read thru 12 pages so I don't know if anyone said what I am about to already - but here it is...

This won't be enforced, for one simple reason. Money. People that are in a hurry to level up chars buy things like hypers and training esoterica, as well as fash and other goodies. They are in a hurry, and not looking to spend countless hours working for what they want, when they can just buy it.

If PW bans the multi-account players, the revenues would plummet. I'm a 1-char no-cash grinder. Banning the people in a hurry for the sake of making the game "fair" for players like me would kill the business - and the game.

Unfortunately, you failed to establish a link between heavy cash-shopping and having more than two accounts logged in at a time. In my opinion, the reverse is more likely to be true. If, as you say, the heavy cash-shoppers are in a hurry to "win" the game, they probably don't have the time to level multiple characters simultaneously, and they have no need to run even one cat shop (much less multiple shops), then they are probably less likely than the average player even *to want* more than two accounts online at a time.
    It's also potentially dangerous. As someone said before, Americans love to sue. It might be hard to justify to a court how you took someone's money, then banned them from the game, and refuse to refund the money - despite what the terms of service might say. Banning the practice could see a reversal of a lot of credit card charges and filed disputes.

Presuming you find an attorney willing to take the case on contingency (not likely) or you have enough disposable income to pay upfront, the chances of a suit like this ever hitting a courtroom (in California of all places) is slim to none. But lets assume it does.

The most that you could ever hope to see from a suit of this nature would be a return of all of the money you ever paid to PWE. More likely, however, would be an award of only your most recent purchase or two, as you likely received the expected benefit from prior Zen purchases. With the exception of the heaviest cash-shoppers, we're probably talking under $1000, of which the attorney probably gets $400-500.

Unless it was a jury trial *AND* you got a jury packed with PWI Forum trolls, you won't be seeing any "pain and suffering" awards for millions...
    I just recently started running a catshop while I play my char, and didn't realize I was violating a rule *blush*. I'm glad I didn't get banned for it.

And this is most likely the reason they changed the rule to allow multi-clienting - because it *is* possible to start a log in a second account without bypassing the launcher.
    Anyway, I think you should kill this rule, and make golden hammers a permanent item like the pickaxe. Nobody buys them now. Make them permanent items, and everyone will want to own one.

That's good for business.

Really? May as well give everyone an all-class pet that craps coins.
  • Silent_Winds - Harshlands
    Silent_Winds - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I've read a few of the posts, and noted the mostly negative responses to this, and admittedly, maybe if I read further it would become more positive. As for my opinion, I think this is actually the first thing PW has done in a long time that hasn't pushed the cash shop in one form or another, and I quite like the change :D So thanks PW, and I hope to see more additions in the future that doesn't push the cash shop so much :D

PS: just covering my bases...I know the cash shop is necessary for the game to still be available and "free to play", but having it a little more friendly to those of us who can't run TT's (i.e. don't have groups of 4 to run all the time, though we can now do it with 2 at least :D) or Nirvana all the time to stay afloat for coinage in game would be nice too, things that we can do more solo in our spare time ;)
    edited April 2011
    I will write it again.

This rules is nothing but a silly measure by (imho) desperate management team on the other side of the ocean to limit automated squads from moving around and farming the resources for the secondary market that is part of every MMO out there (this 1 included).

The Pro's will continue to do what they did in the past rule or no rule.
    We are now "criminals" from a proving point of view if we have more PWI-players in 1 house-hold running the now "allowed" amount of accounts allowed.

Multi-client was forbidden indeed before this rule came into play. BUT multiboxing was NOT meaning you were able run to 2 accounts per house-hold already. Hell if you had 3 accounts like I have fully registred to my name I could run 3 at the same time without issue on 3 computers.

1 shop and 2 active was possible.

If my dad wanted to play too when he was around in the house he 2 would be able to come online without issue. Now if he want to log on to one of the computers I have in my house he needs to coordinate with me to avoid "suspicious" activity..

Now he and I have to prove our play-time, tyvm.