Possible virus from Bittorrent download

Options
IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear
IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear Posts: 302 Arc User
edited April 2011 in Support Desk
Alright, so I've downloaded PWI from the bittorrent link on a not too awesome computer.
Now the game did run fine but I had ran into an issue which honestly surprised me.

I do believe a shutdown virus snuck in through the download as after about 4 hours of gameplay with no problems at all, my computer suddenly shut down with no warnings at all. I could start it back up without a problem, but after about 25 mins it has shut down again. I checked and the cause was NOT overheating or dust or anything like that.

I have uninstalled and restored the system to an earlier date now, and the problem seems to be fixed. I just wish to know if this was a problem unrelated to the game/download, or if it is a technical problem I am not aware of, OR if the bittorrent download contains a virus.

If anyone else has had issues with it, please let me know. And please check your bittorrent download, as it is an official link from this site, any viruses that might be in it should be taken care of.

Also, I checked the bittorrent file, the .rar, and all game files for viruses using a trial version of nod32 ( as this is not my computer and all >_>) and no viruses were found, the way I fixed this was by restoring the system to the date before I downloaded the game.

Thanks in advance.
My sig is gone cus lol b:bye
Post edited by IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• therealtomwa
    therealtomwa Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I downloaded the game via torrent and Kaspersky, MBAM, Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, and threatfire all consider it clean.

Seems like the download is fine to me ;)
  • IzzyLilBunny - Heavens Tear
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Alright the problem seems fixed for now, I'll let you know if I get anymore issues with it.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Okay, after re-installing it (this time I've downloaded it from Direct download and verified files twice, virus scanned it and all that) it again worked for a few hours then shut down my pc, I can make a guess and say it's not a virus after all and it might be that my pc just doesn't like PWI.

If there's any way to fix this I'd love to know how, as the game was running smoothly on best performance except when doing massive aoes (like ff/fc) or going through arch/tb/tellus and such other towns with a lot of players in them.

Figured I'd also post this info and see if it has anything to do with my problem:

System: Microsoft Windows XP home edition Version 2002 Service pack 3
    Computer: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU E5300 @2.60 GHz. 2GB RAM

Thank you for your time =)
  • Flixix - Dreamweaver
    Flixix - Dreamweaver Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    First off there are NO virus's in the torrent files. I can verify this without a doubt as I have used anti virus's on it plus I painstakingly went through every file downloaded and installed to make sure no such thing occurred.

Seems like maybe a sensor is telling your pc it is overheating as this happened to me once. It was not hot but still had a problem due to the fan and sensor readings. You seem to have the correct specs but could you post how much space you have free on the drive it is installed on (that is if you have multiple hard drives). If you have a few programs open at the same time that could be another factor. Get the task manager up by pressing CTRL + ALT + DELETE (DEL), as in hold down all the keys at the same time. Keep an eye on how much physical memory is being used. I suggest looking at what programs files are running at that time. If you are unsure what they are just type the actual program name into google and it will show you. I used to have software, for old camera equipment I no longer use, that would run in the background and draining my memory.
    It could be that XP downloaded an automatic update and your system did not like it. Sometimes this happens and all I do is just wait till another update comes out before i install the old one lol
    edited April 2011
    Options
    As I said I've also confirmed it wasn't a virus, but it is also not an overheating problem due to the fact that this computer could run for days without a problem, and what did happen to me was that it would shut down after 25 mins each time it was turned on, whether it's been off for a few hours or a whole night.

Note this has happened both when I was playing pwi on it and when I was not. After installing pwi on it, the computer would start doing that until I uninstalled and did a system restore. (and yes uninstalling didn't fix the problem which makes me wonder even more :/)
  • Flixix - Dreamweaver
    Flixix - Dreamweaver Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Ah well it can run with every other game fine but sometimes a certain game will make it over heat. Did you check the physical memory + CPU that your computer is using? Look in the processes and look through every single process. Bare in mind that you have to check every single one as some can look offical but they are not. Or the name is ever so slightly different.
    edited April 2011
    Options
    When I'm playing a game I usually check the processes but the only one that was using any CPU was pwi at that time, and even if I did not run pwi at all my computer would still shut down.
  • Aure_Laura - Heavens Tear
    Aure_Laura - Heavens Tear Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    it happened to me too, I download the pwi through the bittorent but then after I install it, I only played it for 2 hrs but monitor keeps blinking (turning off and on by itself) I did not connect to any website as the matter of fact whenever I play the pwi I always closed all the website that I was on. so I was scared since my computer keeps freezing and it keeps turning off too, so I uninstalled the game and everything seems to be fine, but now I am using other computer and I just copy the whole PWI files from my old computer so I don't have to download it over and over which takes forever (about 3 weeks or so) so I install the game and it comes to updates patching time. I pick patch 2 and I update it but whenever it comes to "games version: 484" it always says error and they want me to retry it again and again but no process is happening, now I am upset, did I miss any files or something? can you help me? thanks
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I don't know that much about your problem but what I would suggest is that you download it on the computer you wish to play it on using direct download and of course scanning it, verifying files both times when it asks you during the installation process then launching it and patching it up.

Also, there was a GM who'd usually be answering these kinda topics, I think his name was panda something. If you might happen to know what my problem is and if I can fix it I'd love an answer from you.

Thanks in advance.