Golden box, worth?

Options
_Tsunami_ - Lost City
_Tsunami_ - Lost City Posts: 162 Arc User
edited April 2011 in General Discussion
Hi, while doing the cube often i get the golden box (the one that let you win 1m, but most of the time you get just the sadness card), now i was wondering: is it better to open it or sell it?
Sometimes i see ppl in cube that merchant the boxes (buy for 140k and sell for 180k), on a long run, planning to do the cube daily and getting around 1-2 boxes daily, could be better sell it to these ppl?

The rooms that give you this item always ask you to pay 100k, so selling at 140k will make me earn just 40k/box but in 2 days i got 5 boxes and got 5 saness card...lost 500k (well, 499995 coins,lol).

What you advice? Anyone tested for about a month or more?

Thanks you all in advance.
Post edited by _Tsunami_ - Lost City on

Comments

• truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    http://www.pwdatabase.com/pwi/quest/11412

According to the percentages, you'd only break even if you gambled on them. If you actually went and sold them to merchants, you'd get a small profit.

I used to open them, but I don't have very good luck, so now I just sell them to those catshops, or save some up to merch them.
  • _Tsunami_ - Lost City
    _Tsunami_ - Lost City Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So, doing the math, on a long run of 1000 boxes, i should be able to get around 100m (10%).

If you think that getting 1000 boxes at 100k each (doing the cube) will cost me exactly 100m it's absolutly not worth, even if we have the very very optimistical view of exactly 10% of ecstasy card.

Selling the box everytime at 140k each, earning 40k per time, i should be able to make 40m (40k x 1000), 100% sure.

In the end i belive are absolutly not worth to open/buy. Thanks you for the answer, bye.
  • Crit_Heal - Dreamweaver
    Crit_Heal - Dreamweaver Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    So, doing the math, on a long run of 1000 boxes, i should be able to get around 100m (10%).

not correct, its 10% per box, so in theory its like roling a 10 sided dice every time you open a box and hit 1(ecstacy)for profit, so in theory, you should end up loosingb:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Im a troll ;..;b:cute
  • ValsVixen - Dreamweaver
    ValsVixen - Dreamweaver Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I usually get the sad cards as well, but this week i have gotten 4 ecstasy cards, and one excitement card (5 mill). It just all boils down to luck.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    not correct, its 10% per box, so in theory its like roling a 10 sided dice every time you open a box and hit 1(ecstacy)for profit, so in theory, you should end up loosingb:cute
    It's not like he's saying "oh if I got 9 failures, the next one has to be a success." He's saying that if you threw a thousand d10s at once, roughly 10% of them would end up on the desired number. :P

I love merching gold boxes. They and other cube items are my biggest source of profit at the moment. <_> (I sell at 150k)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • EmeryFlower - Dreamweaver
    EmeryFlower - Dreamweaver Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I usually get the sad cards as well, but this week i have gotten 4 ecstasy cards, and one excitement card (5 mill). It just all boils down to luck.

Share! D:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Happily forum married to Zannie again. >:O Haters gonna hate
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I sell them for 250k each
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I sell them for 250k each

b:shocked

Scammer!!

just kidding xD
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The expected value you get from opening them is 100,000.9 coins (the .9 coins comes from a 90% chance to get a sadness card worth 1 coin).

I've honestly never opened them and have made many, many millions of coin selling them in my shop for far more than their worth. In the early days of the server they'd actually sell for 450k but these days I've been selling for 175k.

The platinum boxes actually sell for a lot higher despite having the same expected value lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The expected value you get from opening them is 100,000.9 coins (the .9 coins comes from a 90% chance to get a sadness card worth 1 coin).
    Yup. Both the Golden and Platinum Boxes are essentially worth 100k, so if you can sell them for more than that, you're likely making more than you would have if you opened them. In short:

Buy: When under 100k
    Sell: When over 100k
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)