Multi-Clienting Rule Changes

Comments

• Morrzan - Sanctuary
    Morrzan - Sanctuary Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Thanks PWI, 4 people in my family that play PW actively... cleans things up a lot.
    b:victory
  • Judo_ - Sanctuary
    Judo_ - Sanctuary Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Thanks PWI, 4 people in my family that play PW actively... cleans things up a lot.

That's pretty cool actually, wish my mom played PWI with me....well, maybe not.

If she died in a BH or something she'd probably make me do chores b:cry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • juanpancho
    juanpancho Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    As long as you guys used real info when you registered (i.e. all four accounts do not have the same registration info across the board), you'll definitely look less suspicious than the average abuser.

The GM's will try to take all things into account before banning.

It's your game, it's your rules, so I'll stick to them, but I have to say I've been playing with 3 pcs under what have been your rules so far because it was not considered and "abuse" until today. In fact, it was even encouraged by some mods and gms on the forums when people asked about it.

For my part, and as Kitamura also said in a somewhat disgruntled manner, using the same registration information was just being honest about it. It saddens me to hear (or rather read) that this change of heart and policie suddenly labels me as an "average abuser", especially when it's due to a reaction towards the client's technical conditions as you say in the quote below.
    Naw, this policy change has been in the works for about a month now, ever since the release of Genesis, when there was a major outcry about the old policy no longer being applicable.

That said and for honesty's sake too, even if my alt accounts were created before this rule and you say that's ok, I'll transfer the stuff I have there, delete all characters on them and continue to use only my two oldest accounts.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    This is awful.

this is moronic. and rather unclear.

i'd just been thinking i might have to get into merchanting after all --- seems i might be able to get a complete veno sage/demon book set with as little as sixty mil or so, if my math is right, and i've a couple mil to invest; unless WarrenWolfy's a brazen liar, that should be a doable proposition --- but i'm actively leveling chars on both the accounts i have. and i like to switch back and forth between them a lot, without advance notice.

so, no problem, i'd start a third account purely for catshopping and use that for nothing else while switching back and forth between the other two accounts for actual gaming. i don't need to game on more than one character at a time, i get confused enough playing from just one viewpoint. i have a spare PC, i could do this under the old rules.

under these new rules, the gaming behavior i'm describing seems like it should be entirely legit, and frankie went into a lot of detail over several paragraphs of text as to how this should be perfectly legit. but the number of accounts i'd have for my one single individual person would be arguably bannable --- ruled so in one terse sentence, without any further detail or explanation as to why.

these guys are just constitutionally incapable of writing a clear, unambiguous set of rules, for anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Sifu_MohTofu - Sanctuary
    Sifu_MohTofu - Sanctuary Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    sooooo.... what the GMs are demonstrating is that they dont know how to fix errors so they just take out things (R9 medals) or make new rules about things... way to go... START FIXING SOMETHING YOU INCOMPETENT MORONS!!!
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Someone at your office decided to change the name that appears on the client window from "Element Client" to "Perfect World International". The Launcher is still checking for Element Client. That is why the launcher will allow you to launch multiple clients. Even when the Launcher prohibited running a second client, all you needed to do was double click elementclient.exe to open a second client. Patcher.exe does not check for another running instance of the client, it only checks for another window named "Element Client"...

...i should have guessed they implemented it that way. i really should've guessed...

(FYI, for non-geeks: there's about a dozen better ways for a program, or set of related programs, to check if another copy is already running. inter-process communication, shared memory, named pipes, lock files, opening a network socket to listen only on localhost... loads of ways. checking for a window title is a STUPID-*** way. it's also lazy, simple, and fast, so of course that's the one they'd use...)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Melora - Lost City
    Melora - Lost City Posts: 69 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    ...i should have guessed they implemented it that way. i really should've guessed...

(FYI, for non-geeks: there's about a dozen better ways for a program, or set of related programs, to check if another copy is already running. inter-process communication, shared memory, named pipes, lock files, opening a network socket to listen only on localhost... loads of ways. checking for a window title is a STUPID-*** way. it's also lazy, simple, and fast, so of course that's the one they'd use...)

It's also the only way that doesn't require special permissions to be able to accomplish, non administrative users on Windows can't bind ports (no, you do not need to run game as admin on Vista and 7, patcher just ends up usually having it run this way...), shared memory is wayyyyyy out the door for obvious security reasons... (easy for malware to exploit this). Windows was never good with named pipes, thats more of a unix thing. Lock files can be worked around relatively easily by denying whatever user runs the client access to that file.

So yes I am defending how they did it, yes there are better ways that don't need admin powers AND can't be worked around but not any you mentioned. A http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutex would be a better choice (set mutex before run, if unable to set due to another process using it it can fail to start) but this is also not a very good one (this MSDN blogpost pretty much states why http://blogs.msdn.com/b/oldnewthing/archive/2006/06/20/639479.aspx)

Overall there isn't a very good way to figure it out...
  • Zankanto - Sanctuary
    Zankanto - Sanctuary Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I'm not exactly clear on the rule changes.

So now I'm allowed to log on my main acct and alt acct on the same PC to buff the mains, right?
  • Wenomus - Dreamweaver
    Wenomus - Dreamweaver Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    highly appreciated, thank you.
  • juanpancho
    edited April 2011
    I'm not exactly clear on the rule changes.

So now I'm allowed to log on my main acct and alt acct on the same PC to buff the mains, right?

Something like that. With the change you can have two accounts logged, it doesn't matter if it's in one or two pcs, and you actively play both of them or just use one to buff the other. You can mix and match anyway you want the characters you may have on those accounts as long as it's just two at the time.

Also, if currently you have only one account you can only create a second one and no more. If you previously had more than two you can actively play only with two of them at once.
  • Voski - Lost City
    Voski - Lost City Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    ^ This

Some of us have multiple accounts and have never lied on names/ownership, as they all have the same and real info -.-

Question on this. what about the case of lets say a college campus or coffee shop providing wifi with lot of ppl playing or many people lanning at the same house?

additionally, if anyone is running android, just root your android and use wireless tether. You can run at least 4 accounts semi-legit this way =P. I mean 2 on your home or wherever you are and 2 more running on your phone's internet. Ive played while tethering for a long time, good when you are on the go a lot.
  • Nyuchama - Archosaur
    Nyuchama - Archosaur Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I am confused... What about the people with multiple alternates BEFORE this rule was in place?

And to anyone wondering, it doesn't matter what YOU do, admins/mods can STILL see your IP address when you post. That's part of being a forum mod/admin. So I have heard they can ban your IP if you are doing too much "suspicious activity'
    I've sunk so low in the sea of sadness
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Is it just me or did PWI roll out of the stupid side of bed this morning? First taking rank 9 medal out of the DQ points herp derp, now this **** lol.. you are bad. You.. are.. bad.

This "rule change" doesn't even affect me just wondering how much alcohol you guys consumed last night.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • jonjonz
    jonjonz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I want to thank the folks at PW for once again creating policies that are clear and provide a level playing field for all.

I used to multi-client a lot on a different MMORPG, but have avoided here because of the previous prohibition.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BabaORiley
    PW New Kid
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    As I was reading the start of this I was like "Oh yay, now I can multi-client for any given reason I want without fuss", I carry on reading and it just turns into a giant lol of stupid pointless randomly made up rules of "2 per person", seriously PWE, stop making stupid *** rules and creating more hassel for players and staff.

The only reason I can think of this 2 per person rule us, you don't want people with multiple alts to run things like TT squad mode with there alts, you want them to cash shop some +10-12 gear and then run it on there own etc etc, way go to pwe once again...way to go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • juanpancho
    edited April 2011
    As I was reading the start of this I was like "Oh yay, now I can multi-client for any given reason I want without fuss", I carry on reading and it just turns into a giant lol of stupid pointless randomly made up rules of "2 per person", seriously PWE, stop making stupid *** rules and creating more hassel for players and staff.

The only reason I can think of this 2 per person rule us, you don't want people with multiple alts to run things like TT squad mode with there alts, you want them to cash shop some +10-12 gear and then run it on there own etc etc, way go to pwe once again...way to go.

On the contrary, they have enabled everybody to duo them without needing two computers. The only thing that can't be done anymore is opening it with 1-3 lvl1 alts from other accounts squaded on separate pc's.

Also, high level 5 aps dd's, (EDIT) venos and now mystics who can solo this instances paying 3 other players to open them now will be able to power level their own second uber-dd and do it in half the time it currently takes. Of course now they need to pay only to two openers.

And finally, wizzies and other casters who enjoy pvp but despise how sins that spawn, kill them and disappear will now also be able to power level their own sin to 105 to watch their backs from stealth.
  • GoogleMaster - Raging Tide
    GoogleMaster - Raging Tide Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Niiiice... Too bad my PC will throw a fit even if I launch notepad along with PWI o.o

Oh well, nice move anyway, frankie and the team! Perhaps someday, I'll be able to use a catshop now. b:thanks

Also,
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    o.o What happened to your old siggy? b:chuckle
  • Alasen - Heavens Tear
    Alasen - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,874 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    woot yay! finally..... now i can set up a shop and still play w/o hoggin the other pc. :D bout time, this hasnt' made any sense for awhile. :p
  • Aynanna - Sanctuary
    Aynanna - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    But what if u have a child that has a account regerstered to u and u have 2 of ur own that u play how does that wrk. Cus my 11 yr old plays but her account was mine and i gave it to her and made another so there was no interference so im confused on how that will wrk with the dual clienting she dont cant shop and doesnt play all the time but i dont wana have my accounts up and her log on to her account and get in trouble it would be nice to know pls relpy someone ty b:cute
  • scarfaceclaw
    scarfaceclaw Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Totally unfair as not everyone has access to a 2nd computer
    What kind of fool pays for a free game.
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Totally unfair as not everyone has access to a 2nd computer
    With this new rule, you don't need 2 computers, you can run 2 clients with 1 computer. :D
  • Sirsmokealot - Raging Tide
    Sirsmokealot - Raging Tide Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I for one thank you for doing this Frankie ignore the people in here who just seems to like to moan there gonna do that no matter what you do.

Thanks for listning to the community on this one.
    02/07/2011 - Lost paitence with PWI sold all my gear bought packs and wasted my coin till it was gone... goodbye PWI b:bye
  • Annalyse - Heavens Tear
    Annalyse - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,618 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    • You may only have 2 accounts per person, regardless of how many computers you own.

There isn't a viable reason to create an excessive number of accounts, so any suspicious activity from now on will be fully dealt with. We aren't going to punish you for having existing accounts prior to this rule, but you can only be online on two at once at the most.

*Note: Excessive account creation has been and will continued to be pursued. Provided you did not abuse this before, you should have nothing to worry about.

Sorry, I just have to say.... some people *do* have a viable reason. I have 5 accounts and not all by choice. My main account is full, 8 chars. Because of that, *you* have forced me to open a new account for my Earthguard characters. I didn't want them on the same account as the account my shop was on in case I wanted my shop up while I was playing them, so that makes 3 accounts (I keep my shop as its own account for that purpose. 2 accounts was all I wanted.... you guys should have given us 10 slots, ijs).

My other two accounts are for faction purposes. Being the leader I have taken on the role of guild bank, and it has grown considerably. Originally it took only 8 chars to hold everything but due to the generosity of the members (and I throw away junk to save space too) I have had to add on another 5. This meant one more account.

So do not presume to tell me that we do not have viable reasons to have multiple accounts. You do not know us.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Annalyse (veno) - Melosa (cleric) - Glynneth (archer) - Pickerel (sin)
    Florafang (wiz) - RubixCube (barb) - Laravell (psy) - Diviah (Mystic)
    Torchwood (BM) - Sataea (Seeker) - Wystera (Sin) - Allissere (SB)

Looking for a mature faction on HT? pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=760842
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    The rule change is meant to level the playing field so that the only thing separating the rich player and the poor player in terms of how many accounts they can have running and thus their earning potential are the same. Now it really doesn't matter if you have one computer or 10, you can have the exact same number of characters on at the same time. You can only sell the exact same number of items at one time. You have to have the right gear to be able to solo everything, you can't have a character with the same **** gear as someone else but earn a billion times more coin they do because you can have 6 computer and can be the entire squad all by yourself.

I personally think its a great rule change. Sure they can't and shouldn't completely level everything, but now everyone has the exact same opportunity as everyone else does. It all comes down to skill, and whether or not you have money to help you startup from hard work in real life. And thats the way it should be I think. For example, I know in lost city there is person who has 6 catshops surrounding the blacksmith at any given time selling anything everything you could want to buy. She had 6 times the amount of sale space as someone who only had one computer. Other newbie players probably couldn't compete with that. Now they both can sell the same exact amount at the same time and its all a matter of who can do it better to determine who gets more in game coin, as it should be.

Also for those of you who are worried about family members playing, every single member of your family can run two accounts at the same time if they wish. For those of you who shared account information, that is bannable and it doesn't matter if they aren't going to **** you or not. It gives that character an unfair advantage in that it is worked on by two people, and two people can easily do more work on the character than one. For those of you who made an account for people who weren't supposed to have accounts anyway because of legislation in this company's home country (the united states) that put the age requirement for this kind of signup info at 13, than that was also always against the rules. You were already in violation of the rules, so you don't have any reason to complain that you are now in violation of two rules. IJS. For those you saying that you've had the multiple accounts for years, keep them. You are grandfathered in, just remember that you can no longer been on more than two at the same time.

As for faction leaders, you can always have the directors and marshalls have a bank alt. You can always mail things to each other, and use mail as storage. You can always sell the items in the AH and take the small profit lost. You don't have to hoarde everything all by yourself. And those faction leaders with the bigger factions who have been powerhouses from the beginning? You still have all those characters, you can still have all those characters. You just can't be on all 5 faction banks at the same time.

TLDR: 2 accounts per person, not per household people. Also, I support new rules because they are meant to level the playing field. For people saying that they account share with someone in their family, that has also always been against the rules. As is making accounts with your info because you kid was always banned from playing for being too young. So it was always against the rules, even before this. Why get mad about it? Faction leaders? Start giving stuff to your officers to hold onto, you shouldn't be promoting officers you can't trust or who are volatile anyway. There is also the mail system, and the auction house.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
    edited April 2011
    You guys seriously are jokers.... I can not get my head round the fact that Frankie has gone off and done something to help the community and now you think you have the right to tell him what you will and won't do.

Do you think he actualy cares how many accounts you have if only two are logged in at any one time?...He stated previous accounts made will NOT be included in this so your bank alts are fine... Having two logged in at any one time is FINE having all 8 logged in at once is NOT.

My god I know PWI makes a dogs ear out of things at times but stand up and give credit where credit is due...Why should he do anything for you if all your gonna do is breathe down his neck no matter what you do.

Pwi makes the rule we follow them dont like it move ship it's quite simple welcome to the world of the internets.
    02/07/2011 - Lost paitence with PWI sold all my gear bought packs and wasted my coin till it was gone... goodbye PWI b:bye
  • scarfaceclaw
    edited April 2011
    Krisnda wrote: »
    With this new rule, you don't need 2 computers, you can run 2 clients with 1 computer. :D

Excuse my ignorance, but how?
    edited April 2011
    Excuse my ignorance, but how?

c:/ (Or name of HD) > Perfect World Entertainment > pwi element > elementclient
  • krisnda
    krisnda Posts: 4,655 Community Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Pretty much, open pw normally, than go to where Sirsmokealot put there and boom, another pw window opens.
  • scarfaceclaw
    edited April 2011
    heh sneaky
  • moonapple3
    moonapple3 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Why not limit it to 3 instead? No matter what, not everybody able to play 3 characters properly (given none is catshop). So why not allow people to play 3?