The truth about Emberstorm

Options
HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
edited April 2011 in Wizard
Hi fellow wizzies,

believe it or not the often called suiced skill Emberstorm is not as useless as the skill might look and i'm gonna discuss this here.

Well the reasons why many people dont like it are

a) it drains the already limited hp pool of the wizard by using the skill
b) the small range of the skill (6m) limites its use
c) the relatively long charge up time when you want to use the full potential of the skill

But on the other hand the skill has also its pros which are

a) no chi cost
b) huge aoe range (12m!)
c) relatively short cooldown

So now here are the uses for Emberstorm that i found:

non chi aoe attack when playing with a squad and Standing in a Bubble

the next tick of the BB Heal will fill your HP up to 100% again so especially when
uncharmed this is a good way to dmg multiple mobs when you dont want to set up DB
or use an ulti. With the lower hp reduction from sage this is even better it makes the use of the skill safer

dealing a bit of dmg / stunning in a pvp situation:

by doubleclicking the skill the basic skill dmg in terms of fire dmg will be dealt to the target
some demon wizards use this to trigger a possible stun effect or to hit targets out of stealth

greetz harm0wnie

PS: i <3 my sage emberstorm b:laugh
Post edited by HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Nurfed_You - Harshlands
    Nurfed_You - Harshlands Posts: 754 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ive got the sage book, but im debating on learning it. The only thing i ever use it for is to one shot fail sins outta stealth for lulz. No real purpose other then tht for me. anyone have an actual good use for it? besides the before mentioned aoe in BB use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AsimM - Raging Tide
    AsimM - Raging Tide Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hi fellow wizzies,

believe it or not the often called suiced skill Emberstorm is not as useless as the skill might look and i'm gonna discuss this here.

Well the reasons why many people dont like it are

a) it drains the already limited hp pool of the wizard by using the skill
    b) the small range of the skill (6m) limites its use
    c) the relatively long charge up time when you want to use the full potential of the skill

But on the other hand the skill has also its pros which are

a) no chi cost
    b) huge aoe range (12m!)
    c) relatively short cooldown

So now here are the uses for Emberstorm that i found:

non chi aoe attack when playing with a squad and Standing in a Bubble

the next tick of the BB Heal will fill your HP up to 100% again so especially when
    uncharmed this is a good way to dmg multiple mobs when you dont want to set up DB
    or use an ulti. With the lower hp reduction from sage this is even better it makes the use of the skill safer

dealing a bit of dmg / stunning in a pvp situation:

by doubleclicking the skill the basic skill dmg in terms of fire dmg will be dealt to the target
    some demon wizards use this to trigger a possible stun effect or to hit targets out of stealth

greetz harm0wnie

PS: i <3 my sage emberstorm b:laugh

Hmm you do make a good point. I'm personally demon, which means if I learn it, my emberstorm gets a hefty 50% chance to stun for 3 seconds! I don't know what the sage does, but your tacit to make it useful is worth mentioning.
    "I would say that the worst band ever, Black Eyed Peas, played at the 2011 Superbowl, but I couldn't possibly take that title away from Nickelback"

- Drew Flowers
  • AsimM - Raging Tide
    AsimM - Raging Tide Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    ive got the sage book, but im debating on learning it. The only thing i ever use it for is to one shot fail sins outta stealth for lulz. No real purpose other then tht for me. anyone have an actual good use for it? besides the before mentioned aoe in BB use.

You just gave me a new way to have fun in pk. :D

P.S: I use Dragon's Breath + Anti-stun/sleep pot to sin check, usually kills 'em in 2-3 hits if they're nab. You know they're nab when they try to stealth again :D
    "I would say that the worst band ever, Black Eyed Peas, played at the 2011 Superbowl, but I couldn't possibly take that title away from Nickelback"

- Drew Flowers
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Hmm you do make a good point. I'm personally demon, which means if I learn it, my emberstorm gets a hefty 50% chance to stun for 3 seconds! I don't know what the sage does, but your tacit to make it useful is worth mentioning.
    The sage version takes away only 35% of your health instead of the 60% so another benefit of sage is that it wont trigger a charm tick.

greetz harm0wnie
  • Elendria - Dreamweaver
    Elendria - Dreamweaver Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    I think the only reason why a demon wizard would use this skill is the stun effect. The dmg count even when you let it charge up to maximum at lvl11 is still minimal compared to a lot of other skills.

I for one would prefer using DB over ES as the dmg output is not only constant without having to trigger a skill again but the actual dmg a lvl11 DB makes is higher than a fully charged ES.

We tried this many times with different players and classes, the dmg output of a lvl11 ES is pretty disappointing.
  • MarcA - Harshlands
    MarcA - Harshlands Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Guys, anyone ever try stack ES with a debuffed character... say a cata barb?

I tried it once for lolz. Have the victim undined, dg'd, maybe a veno amp, all the while ur charging up ES and hit him with genie 'spark' then watch the damage roll 30k easily. :)

~its hella fun.

On a serious note, i use it during Delta if i get stunned outta DB and have no chi, vacuity> ES> HS... damage is damage right? Also in FC if i dont feel like using spark.. first few pulls? That kinda thing. I dunno tbh i try to use it when i can cause i did learn sage and wanna get my monies worth.
    "Know that although in the eternal scheme of things you are small, you are
    also unique and irreplaceable, as are all your fellow humans everywhere in the world."
    -Margaret Laurence
  • BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur
    BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur Posts: 1,842 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    have sage, so no charm tick

use in frostcovered city when im running with high level squad because with sins now, but the time you chi up, etc. everything is dead. Sometimes i even use it in the big room cuz it all dies so quick.

have used in TW near cata barbs if there are enough other enemies around me and i have no chi, but it really is kind of a back bench skill for sage . . .

now, for demon . . . .
    "And as for bragging, I don't need to brag. I am famous, yo. My accomplishments are legendary. I am BLOODMYSTIC, speaker of truth, bane of the Barbarians of Impulse, slayer of the **** of Narla, liberator of all the free peoples of the Archosaur server, former master propagandist for our leader in freedom, Proski, and Archtroll of the PWI Forums. And now? Amiable pve wizard, beloved by all, aka BLUEMYSTIC. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    imma continue ignoring that skill till i have the demon version
    only use is stealth radar xd
    i like potato
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    Fistol - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    The reason emberstorm is crappy is because wizzy mostly have crappy Hp

Get to decent hp.. the damage will be massive.

Problem here is..

AA default has less HP refine then HA.
    Wizzzy has less HP per lvl as well as base HP compare to other class.
    Wizzy get less HP from Vit stone compare to Citrine.

and after all that, it has to do more damage than what your spell is doing to be worth it.

Can any wizard confirm that emberstorm still release after you get stun?
    Fist Wizard ~ Truely Unique
    Going for
    Build : pwcalc.com/8b326a9b66b300af
    While waiting
    Build : pwcalc.com/c879da9e1aad795c
    HA Melee (Pre99)-> LA Claw (99+)-> LA Claw+Magic (101)
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options

Problem here is..

and after all that, it has to do more damage than what your spell is doing to be worth it.

Can any wizard confirm that emberstorm still release after you get stun?

well the skill does ~ same dmg as a normal hit maybe a lil bit more but i guess the you should not judge it by dmg made alone but also think about the 12 m aoe it has.

Im not sure about the stun part but i guess when something interrupts the charge up process emberstorm will do the dmg charged up so far.

greetz harm0wnie
  • Elendria - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    @ Fistol. My HP is buffed at this point 14442, while I am still working on refinement. So if that is crappy HP I don't know b:chuckle

But honestly if you can trigger another skill, I would use it. I never use emberstorm unless I have another player right in my face. To run up to enemies and use that skill is pointless.

The stun effect works even with lowest charge. So you can basically trigger the skill and shoot it off immediately without charge and the stun effect works most times. I use it only if absolutely neccessary. But if you're in pk rather use distant shrink get away and throw nukes. If you're demon the cooldown on your Force of Will is shorter and you might be able to use it again after you get away.
  • BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur
    BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur Posts: 1,842 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

Problem here is..

What's the problem?

BLOODMYSTIC <---- 10,000+ HP buffed
    "And as for bragging, I don't need to brag. I am famous, yo. My accomplishments are legendary. I am BLOODMYSTIC, speaker of truth, bane of the Barbarians of Impulse, slayer of the **** of Narla, liberator of all the free peoples of the Archosaur server, former master propagandist for our leader in freedom, Proski, and Archtroll of the PWI Forums. And now? Amiable pve wizard, beloved by all, aka BLUEMYSTIC. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
  • skysing
    skysing Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Useful in Frost when u wanna aoe those head
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Options
    @ Fistol. My HP is buffed at this point 14442, while I am still working on refinement. So if that is crappy HP I don't know b:chuckle

But honestly if you can trigger another skill, I would use it. I never use emberstorm unless I have another player right in my face. To run up to enemies and use that skill is pointless.

The stun effect works even with lowest charge. So you can basically trigger the skill and shoot it off immediately without charge and the stun effect works most times. I use it only if absolutely neccessary. But if you're in pk rather use distant shrink get away and throw nukes. If you're demon the cooldown on your Force of Will is shorter and you might be able to use it again after you get away.

10k, 14k HP are great numbers but even then you guys are not using that skill, which just show that you have better alternatives.

But with that in mind, Armag uses half of mp as well while ours get 10% more dmg from HP. Barbs with same refine and almost similiar sharding with you guys probably are in the 20k-30k range of HP.

One possible use, will be to undine the shard in FC and Cast Emberstorm, that might probably do massive damage if so happens BM cast HF as well and somehow it crits.

2nd method i might use Emberstorm is to actually Dist Shrink in, Absolute Domain, Undine and Cast and maybe put up Sage DB to continuous stun in maybe TW.

more ideas on how Emberstorm can be use will be interesting.
    Going for
    While waiting
  • Elendria - Dreamweaver
    edited April 2011
    Options
    Fistol you have a fist wizard? lol

I restated my wiz once for a week to 5aps, as my 5aps veno ran out of Nirvy keys. I had TT100 fists on both of them. What sucks though is that as wizard you don't get any attack bonus from demon spark. At least since venos can be build arcane or heavy their demon spark give you 650% weapon dmg, so that combined with wind shield can make massive dmg. But as wizard you don't get that so that sucks a little.

What are your experiences? b:cute
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options

I restated my wiz once for a week to 5aps, as my 5aps veno ran out of Nirvy keys. I had TT100 fists on both of them. What sucks though is that as wizard you don't get any attack bonus from demon spark. At least since venos can be build arcane or heavy their demon spark give you 650% weapon dmg, so that combined with wind shield can make massive dmg. But as wizard you don't get that so that sucks a little.

too. much. money.
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    too. much. money.

be nice fiz
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • Fistol - Raging Tide
    edited April 2011
    Options

Fistol is my Fist Wizard =x
    I level her from level 1 all the way to my level now using 3str 2dex build just for fun, as i am kind of a HA kind of person.

ya I know it sucks without demon spark, so i used sage spark for the 25% damage resist. but look on the bright side.. Frostblade is literally your best friend.
    Last i know Veno cant get the bonus without going to fox form and if you are in fox form with fist.. that is as good as glitching the game aka bannable.b:chuckle but i wouldnt say anything haha..

I find that once Stone barrier is near max , the phy damage mobs do gets manageable. Its like wearing armor 10 level upwards. Range Phy Mob are a joke to begin with.. but what trouble you will be range magic mobs esp poison ones(due to lack of HP).

I am looking forward to equipping my lvl 70-80 gears which will boost my HP to more than 5k with barb buffs.

Funny thing is no one notice i am a melee wizard.
    Going for
    While waiting
  • Kywe - Harshlands
    Kywe - Harshlands Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Options
    it has a good thing, emberstorm reduces de damage taken by 25%(sage version) and demon version stuns the enemies within 12 meters. and also does 5000(not sure, dont remember already) damage for what i saw on encyclopedy.. the bad thing its cuz it still reduces hp by 60%.. but im up to learn it and the frostblade(gives more % water damage) tooeven if are noob skills, but i want learn it :D
This discussion has been closed.