picking a class

DeadlySinsx - Heavens Tear
DeadlySinsx - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
edited April 2011 in Dungeons & Tactics
yes im posting this in the beginners guide (i know im not really a beginner seeing as im level 78)
and yes i still dont know how to pick a class.
please only read this if you have patience b:victory

ok so here goes........

when i first started this game a few years ago, i was a little cleric, only hit level 28. then i rolled out a blademaster and got to 41. then i pulled an archer out and hit 78. i have played every class but earth guard classes to at least level 20. i still just cant decide what class to take to end game for many reasons. time doesnt mean much to me, money is my problem. i dont have a problem spending a little cash like once a month or something like that. like $20 a month or whatever. the problem is that if i only did that or less, i feel that i would get no where in this game seeing as its a free to play, pay to win game in my eyes. everyone wants to run around with a 5.0 aps class. yes id love to also, but everyone is doing it. why stick with this new "norm?" i know that you dont have to spend a dime on this game and there are others ways to make money. i spent months trying to merchant and i ended up losing more than i made. i failed at even breaking even. farming mats and things would take time to map out what all i want to run around and get, then i have to sell them all and that just doesnt seem like to much fun for me. then there are venos with hercs that can solo tt and fb for mats and molds and things like that. i dont think that i could ever afford a herc. i know there are other things, but i dont think that id ever get the so called elite gear and or rank 8 or 9.

so on to the classes...

clerics - they are dying class. they are hard to find all the time. yes i could playing, but i dont want to have to really put up with people blaming us for everything that goes wrong in a squad. i have also heard that they are really expensive class to play. i do believe that cuz they are always trying to have mp cuz without it, well everyone dies. and if i rolled a cleric, i wouldnt ever have a problem trying to find one. but they down fall is that i really dont like playing squishy classes. the only way around that is to go hybrid build which im not that all into.

archers - well i have one at level 78 and i feel like im not going to be needed end game except to kill clerics in TW and for harpies in FF even though sins can do about the same dmg with a bow cuz of dex build?? not really sure on that one..

blademasters - well they are awesome classes and i love the multiple weapon paths that they can take. the problem is that all everyone wants end game is a 5.0 which im 99% sure i wont ever be able to get because of the high costs associated with being a 5.0

wizards - i love wizards and their awesome dps. the problem is they are also dying it seems and they are super squishy. they arent wanted end game for nirvana or anything that i know of. everyone wants a 5.0. wizards dont really get to their full potential imo till end game with r9. ive played them on private servers (dont know if i can say that here or not) and they are fun to play. but getting them started is really hard. you have to kite all the time. and they are like 3 hit kills from any physical mob. they also have really long casting times so end game eq is going to be expensive.

barbarians - well, playing a tank would be fun, but from lots of forum reading, they arent needed to tank end game. a 5.0 with bp is what they are getting replaced with. and with the nurfing of their skills, its super hard for them to keep agro over high aps classes. they need pro gears for high hp and they are pretty expensive.

venomancers - taming pets is fun. they are an expensive class to get the best pets, herc and nix, though. i cant see myself playing a veno for much besides using it to farm tt to help pay for another class. not much else to say about them.

assassins - pretty fun to play. but the problem again is that all thats wanted is 5.0 and i just dont think that i could ever get enough in game coin to ever afford it.

psychics - they are fast casting magic users that are fun to play with every once in a while with a squad heal for the extra help. but the problem is that ive only personally seen maybe a handful end game and they arent really wanted much.

not even going to mention earth guard classes. dont know much about them at all.

i think my major thing is that i dont want to spend all this time and farming to get elite gear. i wish that i could just be half decent end game. ive never dont anything past fb69. never dont 79, 89, 99 or warsoul, nirvana, any of that. and id like to be able to someday. but it seems that i just cant stick with a class because i start to doubt it and cant see the potenial of it and just get bored with it, then leave the game for a month then come back hoping that something has changed. pwi is the second mmorpg that ive ever played and i love it. i dont want to leave. ive tried playing other games and they just cant keep my interest. i tried playing forsaken world (also made be pwe) and it just wasnt much fun compared to pwi in my opinion.

im just so lost in all of this and i hope that someone out there can help me with my confusion and problems and blah blah. ill try to reward you somehow in the near future if you can help me or lead me in the right path to playing and having fun again.

thanks

xDeadlySinsx b:cool
<<----I'm a total NooB and I'm not proud of it! b:cryb:cry

<<----DeadlySins will rule you all sooner or later b:coolb:victory
Post edited by DeadlySinsx - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I'm just going to say this: Pick whatever class seems the best for you, not the best for other people. You can always find a great faction to help you out with things like frost and such. Personally, I chose a veno, and i'm sticking with that, but i would have to say either continue with your archer since you got him that far, or roll a ax bm.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
  • anemodromos
    anemodromos Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I agree with Krisnda, just do what you wanna do, what you think is fun. That why it's a game. And as you proved you can find contras on every class, so why worry about chosing wrong?

Btw, could you tell me what you mean by 5.0? Indeed, I'm still a n00b. xD
  • DeadlySinsx - Heavens Tear
    DeadlySinsx - Heavens Tear Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    It would appear that I have probably become helpless.

5.0 attack per second means you hit at a rate of 5 times per second.
    <<----I'm a total NooB and I'm not proud of it! b:cryb:cry

<<----DeadlySins will rule you all sooner or later b:coolb:victory
  • jiq
    jiq Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    First, I don't know why people say they always get blamed for bad things as a Cleric. It never happened to me. Maybe because I'm too pro or what? xD If it's really my fault, I say sorry and people understand it. But they never blamed me for unfair things.

Second, Cleric is just as expensive as other magic classes: you need gems / refines at higher lvls and mana food, just like others. But mana food is only 600-700 coins (each) and all the magic classes need them.

'Squishy' classes only die if you don't know how to play them (no offence). I always die on my BM and Sin (they are lower lvls but yeah) beacuse I fail at melee. xD I'm better at magic classes, I know how to kite and try kill mobs before they could reach me. In squads, I always wait for the tank to take aggro, so mobs don't attack me. At higher lvls, most magic classes don't have to kite anymore.

Advice for magic classes: Get Jones' Blessing and 1 hour Cleric buffs, especially the magic attack buff, if you can (from friends, faction, random Clerics). They help a lot when you go questing. I often fly around Archo with my Cleric to buff people, I know it helps a lot. :3
  • SonicRazor - Harshlands
    SonicRazor - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Like Krisnda said, you have to go with a class that's comfortable to play for you. If you play a class and find your very comfortable, keep playing. It doesn't mater if you're not needed. I often find squads in which I'm not needed but who cares. They are polite enough not to ask me to leave but just keep room for the class that are needed.

As for me, when i started playing 2 years ago, I started a Venomancer. I played that for 3 months before i discovered the Blademasters. Now I'm in love with Blademasters (especially axe). In the 2 years i've been playing i've discovered that at the least expected moment, PWE adds a new sort of dungeon or challenge that sparks an instant reaction of people playing a dieying class in masses. For example, Before the Tideborn, there were a lot of Clerics, afterwards, Assassins became a plague to PWI. However, I do know a lot of people who are persistent to continue playing one of the original classes.

I've been paying attention to WC alot, and i've noticed that often, there are like 4-5 squad desperate for a AoE'r, that's when i grab my chance and join.

For the summary, just play what you are comfortable with and you should be fine, if you really enjoy the game you will have alot of fun if you have some friends that happen to be cleric or barbs and you can have fun without paying attention to the dieying classes.

P.S. I play on Harshlands and have recently started on Raging Tide. I've noticed that PVP servers are plagued with Assassins that pk the living daylights out of beginners and PVE tends to have a more diverse range of different class, mainly made out of people who thought: **** assassins, im gonna stick to my fav wiz/bm/cleric what not.
  • ellero
    ellero Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited April 2011
  • Asura_Shiva - Raging Tide
    Asura_Shiva - Raging Tide Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Play what you like. I like Clerics but, I am not that great with them and I lag. So I play a Mystic for fun. :)

Rats for the epic damage

RaveR for the cool style of fighting.

Asura for the wasted rep I bought xD b:surrender
    Other IGN:
    Ratsael - RT - 61
    RaveR_mnant - RT - 47
  • neaderick
    neaderick Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    That guide is a bit obsolete, as it includes 6 of 10 classes. I created something similiar, but I suck at such things, so it's very unclear. To make it a bit easier, every path and class is in other colour: http://img26.imageshack.us/i/pwil.jpg/
  • Flickerfae - Sanctuary
    Flickerfae - Sanctuary Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Why pick one? You already have pretty much all of them. b:chuckle

I find it's easier to just not worry about endgame. I play what I want to play, when I want to play it. I'm a slow leveler because of that, to the point where I honestly don't think I'll ever hit endgame. And that's ok with me, because I'm having fun where I'm at.

Also, you might not want to worry about "winning" an MMO (aka the "free to play, pay to win" thing). I only throw a little money into the cash shop myself, and I've come to terms with the fact that I'm just not going to have the best gear/build/whatever, because I don't have the money to shell out for refines and high-end shards. But I get what I can, and play my very best, and that works well enough in higher instances. I've been outright told many times that I'm a good cleric (hearsay! b:chuckle ), and that comes from skill and playing smart, not paying lots of money for superior gear. The same is true of any class.

Instead, change your paradigm of what it means to 'win'. Maybe 'winning' is just getting to level 100 at all? Or soloing certain bosses/instances? Or being in a strong TW faction? None of those things are dependent on having a Herc Veno or being 5.0 APS. Sure, being those things helps, but there are a lot more people who aren't than who are, and if you're good at whatever you do, no one's going to look down on you for it. No matter the class.

On that note, Archers are among my favorite classes near endgame. Their high DPS and LA often makes them surprisingly versatile as tanks in instances. I love the 9x and 10x archers in my guild, because they're just so capable. Give 'em a cleric or a couple pots, and they'll solo your 8x or 9x boss for you, np. Archers are awesome at endgame, and don't let anyone tell you any different.

Oh, and regarding Barbs... I was in TW last night, and I noticed one really good use for high-level barbs... catapults! Their survivability is perfect for pulling catapults into the middle of enemy territory... let's see a squishy APS Sin do that! b:laugh

The point is, don't let worries about endgame stop you from playing now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Ignoring my main for alts since early '09
  • RoarTazz - Heavens Tear
    RoarTazz - Heavens Tear Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    I'm a lv 88 Barb and yes having a great archer in squad with me saves on how much damage I take and how cheap I get out of the TT/BH/FB ---- by meaning of great archer I mean someone who knows that if he keeps pulling aggro for the fun of it or for not knowing why he is doing it (not knowing how to play archer) only make it more costly on me for damage and taking the chance of him/her self dying or squad wipe and knows not to do it.
    SO, yes I would stay with your archer as you have put so much time into it
    I don't worry about the end game till I get there and that is the fun part of the game to get there by learning your toon and playing him/her the best you can and be proud of it and your toon
  • hellsome
    hellsome Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    wizards - i love wizards and their awesome dph. the problem is they are also dying it seems and they are squishy. they arent wanted end game for nirvana or anything that i know of. everyone wants a 5.0. wizards dont really get to their full potential imo till end game with r9/r8. ive played them on private servers (dont know if i can say that here or not) and they are fun to play. but getting them started is hard some times. you have to kite 5%-10% of all the time. and they are like 3-4 hit kills from any physical mob. they also have really long casting times so end game eq is going to be expensive.

b:bye
  • Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary
    Jaggerjaques - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited April 2011
    Never make yourself play to what the "norm" is, especially if you don't like it. Play how you want, or the game is no fun. I have a bm and a sin, and neither of them will be 5.0 lol
    helr-cleric-8x
    Jaggerjaques-BM-8x
    blackrobe-wizard-7x
    _Tara-veno-6x
    Superpoke-sin-7x
    punching_bag-barb 7x