Demon vs Sage (different then others)

Shadovvnn - Heavens Tear
Shadovvnn - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
edited April 2011 in Barbarian
I love PK. People say if i want to go demon i just have to use claws or there is no other point of being demon... I haven't got used to the idea of claws to barbs :S First because if i want to use claws i'm gone need to take away loads of str to add to dex and meaning my all damage will go down b:shocked .

Sage is kind of def and strategic path? Not sure. The only good, good skills are for sage... Axe and hammer mastery, strength of titans, Penetrate Armor, Sunder and Armageddon. Most of them are that increase the strength.

The questions of the day
1. Which one for barb?
a. Is it better to go sage and with barb weapons
b. Is it better to go demon and with barb weapons
c. Is it better to go demon and with claws

2. Around how much damage does Axe hammer mastery and strength of titans (sage)?
Post edited by Shadovvnn - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Tenronth - Lost City
    Tenronth - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Demon, for full dmg and 5 aps.
  • BloodyOne - Dreamweaver
    BloodyOne - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    not all demon barbs use claws. idk mabe im a fail demon barb but i do just fine without claws N stickin with good old axes n if you do get claws n go demon u sacrifice more vit then str so u can hold the claws n still have enough str to hold some set of axes. mabe im incorrect but thats what iv always thought as correct on the claw barb subject
    b:shocked no signature
  • Tenronth - Lost City
    Tenronth - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    100-150 vit is just like 1.7-2.4k hp in human form, the evasion, accuracy and claws worth that hp. Plus u can solo almost everything and u can pvp with claws if u have OI.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    100-150 vit is just like 1.7-2.4k hp in human form, the evasion, accuracy and claws worth that hp. Plus u can solo almost everything and u can pvp with claws if u have OI.

Not to mentioned getting hundreds, if not thousands of health back when tanking with bloodpaint and claws. Invoke + bloodpaint + claws = full health, no matter what.

To me going sage would make my barbs already great hp and defense even better, when I had more than enough to begin with anyways. Sage Titans is better for the squad, but Demon Poison Fang makes up the difference for you personally. Also, Sage Titans is only about a 2-3% increase usually. Not enough to base a culti on. Axe and Hammer Mastery is tricky, since as a claw barb I use both, but really don't get the benefits considering I'm using claws 90% of my attacks (about 75% of the time). You mention Pentrate Armor as being an OP sage skill but as a sage barb most your benefits are in tiger form so considering human skills for culti is less important. I do like Sage PA, though.

You also mention Sunder and Arma as being OP for Sage, when its the opposite. Demon Sunder and Arma are waaaaaayyyyy better. Arma is much more powerful as demon. Sure, you still lose 50% hp instead of only 40% but the best way to use Arma is to ToP then Arma anyways, in which you'll be healed afterwards. Not to mention the idea of Armaing is to kill everything that could hurt you. Even better, Demon Sunder then Arma. Demon Sunder makes your every attack a crit for 5 seconds, as well as the Sunder itself. So Sunder-> Human Form-> Arma = two crits of your most powerful attacks and heal over time to restore your hp.

Other demon skills that rock are Trueform, Roar, Devour, and Beastial Onslaught. Demon roar is 100% reflect as opposed to 60% veno bramble. Great for aggro on mob pulls. Trueform allows you full dmg in tiger for better paint heals and aggro. Beastial Onslaught is a sexy pvp skill, especially combined with claws. Devour means you don't have to spam it nearly as often when debuffing which means more chi saved for reaming, or what I like to do is run up to a boss, devour, human form, demon spark, claws, attack. If I had sage or level 10 devour I'd get about 6 seconds of triple sparked attacks on a debuffed boss but as demon gives me 11 seconds, most my spark. I do like the sage equivalant of switching to axes and being able to debuff 45% with sage PA without needing tiger form, but oh well.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • Dagnatic - Sanctuary
    Dagnatic - Sanctuary Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Claw's aren't totally restricted to demon, with sage you can get 4aps, which in most cases is enough, yeah Demon can get you 5 but that isn't a reason enough alone

Have a look at this site right here
    http://www.ecatomb.net/skillwb.php
    this show the demon and sage skills right next to each other so you can compare them directly.

I'd personal say Demon, as stated the 100% citrate you give your self, well, lets just say, you put that with a HF and your doing some serious dmg there, 5 seconds of 100% crit + A demon HF which doubles your dmg out put well, its self explanatory, not to mention if you devour just before as well, lets just say, things go BOOM

I do know some very badass Sage Barbs, I know a +10 geared 100 4aps sage barb with 18k hp, but he also has a 95+ Bm and a 101 Sin, so meh, he knows his cookies

Even with axes I'd say demons a more viable option, Im not totally sure about this but the damage difference between sage and demon is something like 3-12%

As for your stats with demon, you do not remove any Str at all you need at least 300str and 200 vit with gear on to be able to use both claws and axes, Plus, most of your hp comes from shards and mainly refines.
  • Shadovvnn - Heavens Tear
    Shadovvnn - Heavens Tear Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Not to mentioned getting hundreds, if not thousands of health back when tanking with bloodpaint and claws. Invoke + bloodpaint + claws = full health, no matter what.

To me going sage would make my barbs already great hp and defense even better, when I had more than enough to begin with anyways. Sage Titans is better for the squad, but Demon Poison Fang makes up the difference for you personally. Also, Sage Titans is only about a 2-3% increase usually. Not enough to base a culti on. Axe and Hammer Mastery is tricky, since as a claw barb I use both, but really don't get the benefits considering I'm using claws 90% of my attacks (about 75% of the time). You mention Pentrate Armor as being an OP sage skill but as a sage barb most your benefits are in tiger form so considering human skills for culti is less important. I do like Sage PA, though.

You also mention Sunder and Arma as being OP for Sage, when its the opposite. Demon Sunder and Arma are waaaaaayyyyy better. Arma is much more powerful as demon. Sure, you still lose 50% hp instead of only 40% but the best way to use Arma is to ToP then Arma anyways, in which you'll be healed afterwards. Not to mention the idea of Armaing is to kill everything that could hurt you. Even better, Demon Sunder then Arma. Demon Sunder makes your every attack a crit for 5 seconds, as well as the Sunder itself. So Sunder-> Human Form-> Arma = two crits of your most powerful attacks and heal over time to restore your hp.

Other demon skills that rock are Trueform, Roar, Devour, and Beastial Onslaught. Demon roar is 100% reflect as opposed to 60% veno bramble. Great for aggro on mob pulls. Trueform allows you full dmg in tiger for better paint heals and aggro. Beastial Onslaught is a sexy pvp skill, especially combined with claws. Devour means you don't have to spam it nearly as often when debuffing which means more chi saved for reaming, or what I like to do is run up to a boss, devour, human form, demon spark, claws, attack. If I had sage or level 10 devour I'd get about 6 seconds of triple sparked attacks on a debuffed boss but as demon gives me 11 seconds, most my spark. I do like the sage equivalant of switching to axes and being able to debuff 45% with sage PA without needing tiger form, but oh well.

Thats very nice, thanks and you saying demon with claws?
  • Ruli - Heavens Tear
    Ruli - Heavens Tear Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Not gonner walk all over the aps discussion in this thread but from an old fshioned tanking perspective sage barb with Sage flesh ream, Sage alcracity, Sage Beastial rage spammage means your always full chi. Never need too ask a veno for a spark again an it leaves you free too do all sorts of funky stuff that takes two sparks while tanking.

Trust me, after you do the funky stuff the wifey will give you a paw rub an a fresh pint of neat catnip so its always worth itb:chuckle

Lots of reasons to go sage though, but the paw rubs an catnip suprise off the wifey is always best
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    i wonder if anyone has ever made a sage 4.0 claw barb? you could spam wind shield level 1 to increase the attack rate...

edit: nm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited March 2011
    i wonder if anyone has ever made a sage 4.0 claw barb? you could spam wind shield level 1 to increase the attack rate...

They have and it works quite well. I wouldn't go sage if I was only pure axe because you become unbalanced all tank and no dmg/aggro, but a sage clawbarian is pretty balanced because you are a little light on hp and defense from going 4.0 but then you can switch ornies and to axes, drop to tiger form and have more hp/defense than a demon barb has in tiger form. Basically you make an attack mode human form, and a defense mode tiger form. Tiger Form for pulls and "rescues" when the clerics dropped or can't heal you because she's rezzing someone, and actual tanking is done in human form. This way you get passed the reduce attack sage kitties have.

Dagnatic, think you meant 300 str, 200 dex (not 200 vit). Endgame claw barbs have the about 100 stats to play with after statting for rank 9 axes and G13 Nirvana claws, meaning you can still have about 100 base vitality on your barb and wear endgame claws, or be pure strength and have 350 str base, 400+ green.

Wind Shield on a sage barb would work but you are overwriting your sage sparks damage reduction. Still, its nice to have the option of DD or dmg reduction based on whether you spam Wind Shield or not. If you do, leave the skill at level 1.

Ruli, I can respect that having constant chi for invoke, sunder, ream spam is nice but at 5.0 aps chi takes you half a second to build (well, not really. 4 sparks in 15 seconds before beastial rage.) Also, as a claw barb your aggro comes from dmg so you're not spamming skills that cost chi which means you reserve alot more chi for when you need it.

If you plan on going claw, I'd consider the combos. Beastia Rage + Devour + Human + spark + Beastial Onslaught + claws and auto attack means you'll be getting 4 sparks in 12 seconds while DDing on a 50% pdef reduced mob/player with about a 60% crit rate, but then you go to just auto attacking after that or spamming Onslaught after your triple sparks. Sage you have the benefit of being able to weapon switch and PA for constant 45% pdef reduction, but less aps unless spamming genie skills. Both cases, tanking while standing up will allow you to quick switch weapons and rebuff anyone that dies from random aggro or aoes, but when you buff demon you give people a crit increase and extra chi during battles.

Not that it should make a difference but demon is cheaper to achieve high aps, and easier to maintain because you don't need as much genie spam.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • BloodyOne - Dreamweaver
    BloodyOne - Dreamweaver Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    plus demon sunder is just plain dirty.. givin me a total barbgasm just think about it 5 seconds of 100% crit. drop d sunder then b rage or any other aoe u make ALOT of people unhappy b:laugh
    b:shocked no signature
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Do you love TW and hate absolutely everything else + are a cash shopper?

If so then go A and pull catas.

If not then go C
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Dagnatic - Sanctuary
    edited March 2011
    ...Dagnatic, think you meant 300 str, 200 dex (not 200 vit)....
    Ahh, yes, yes, right you are there, i did mean to say 200str, wasn't thinking straight thanks for picking that one up on me.

In my oppinion a 4aps sage barb can rock your *** pretty bad, but the Demon Sunder, well a 5aps Demon barb can almost out Dmg a 5aps demon BM, think about it.

Poison Fang (92)
    Sage version increases duration to 30 minutes.
    Demon version always increases damage to 50% of weapon attack.

Roar (92)
    Sage version reduces enemies' magic attack by 30% for 10 seconds.
    Demon version returns 100% physical damage taken to the attacker for 10 seconds.

Sunder (99)
    Sage version always recovers a total of 6666 HP.
    Demon version recovers a total of 4000 HP and makes every attack critical for 5 seconds.

Devour (92)
    Sage version has a 25% to cast without using Chi, instead gaining 35 Chi.
    Demon version increases physical defense reduction to 15 seconds.

Spark Eruption (89)
    500% weapon damage and reduce all damage taken by 25% for 15 seconds.
    500% weapon damage and increase attack speed by 25% for 15 seconds.

If you use all those skills (demon Versions)

then combine those with a Demon HF

Heaven's Flame (99)
    Sage version increases Fire damage to 2000 over 6 seconds.
    Demon version increases damage over time to 100% of damage taken and increases duration to 9 seconds.

You have some nasty Damage, 100% crit, your own person Def reduction to the boss, the 100% damage Amp, your doing about 3-4 times your normal damage output,

Then again, im not demon/sag barb, so what would i know.

Even if your not Aps, Demon balances out your build, It takes you from a low end damage deal high end HP Barb, to a High HP Moderate Damage barb,

but if you really want to go sage, I'd suggest aiming for this build,
    http://pwcalc.com/07f845278e57885e

Sorry couldn't help it.
    but i just had to troll
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    if your gonna spend the money on those refines, you should probably go for g12 mana stones, for better armas
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Dagnatic - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    if your gonna spend the money on those refines, you should probably go for g12 mana stones, for better armas

Note the weapon... There wont be any use of skills....
    Its a troll.. i couldn't help it
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Note the weapon... There wont be any use of skills....
    Its a troll.. i couldn't help it

Its the weapon that makes that an illegitimate build? I thought it was the +200 strength, +2000 dex necklace that only exists in GMs dreams.
  • Dagnatic - Sanctuary
    edited April 2011
    Its the weapon that makes that an illegitimate build? I thought it was the +200 strength, +2000 dex necklace that only exists in GMs dreams.

Well if you want to be all high n mighty about it.... get rid of the necklace, and just use a lvl 1 sword....

And here we go
    I fixed it
    http://pwcalc.com/fd82adf68c9d1e6e
    Mind you, i dont think that tome exists,
  • XylolyX - Heavens Tear
    XylolyX - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2011

Yep it's been done.

I know a sage clawbarb with deicides, 4.0APS and over 28K of HP. Not sure if there's anything that he can't solo except for WBs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Lvl10XBarb
    Lvl10XArcher
    lvl10XAssassin