PWE Servers Not only Servers getting DDOS attacks

Options
hstraus
hstraus Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
I Have Read the Forums but never Posted before. But just wanted everyone out there that is QQ about PWE an the server attacks, Saying why it could be happening etc. I just wanted to Let everyone know (an I hope I don't repeat what others have stated) This is not something PW Can just fix. The server host Has to deal with this. PW also has the Proper Authorities handling this, or helping them. Now if you do a quick Google search, you will see it is not only happening to PWE.

Starting March 3, 2011 Other site have been getting it also.

Here is one for example:
RESOLVED: DDoS Against WebHop
Sun, 20 Mar 2011 1612 UTC "As of approximately 1615 UTC, we are currently experiencing a distributed denial of service attack against our WebHop redirection service. All other services are operating normally, but the WebHop service may be temporarily unavailable.

This is just one company, there are 5-6 others that is getting hit the same days as PW.

Netflix has been hit also. So Many people could not even watch a good movie while waiting for server stability.

March 22nd, 2011, 18:57 GMT South Korea has taken recent DDoS attacks against governmental websites very seriously and plans to start work on strengthening defenses against such threats.The announced measures come after earlier this month around thirty governmental and private websites were targeted in attacks launched from a botnet of around 50,000 infected computers.

Be sure to check your E-mail also, I received this. So everyone will be compensated when this is over.
"Recently Perfect World Entertainment has fallen victim to malicious internet attacks."

Due to these attacks, you may have had connection issues in-game, or loading issues with our websites. We sincerely apologize for the issue and will be compensating all of our players once these attacks have ceased and the source of the issue has been shut down.

We are working swiftly to ensure that these types of issues will not occur again in the future. We are also working with the proper authorities to ensure that the culprits are found and dealt with accordingly.

Once again, we are deeply sorry for inconveniences caused, and we will update you again once everything has been resolved.

- The PWE Team"

So as it appears it is bigger than we all thought. I just hope they do catch the idiot, But I really doubt it.

Good luck to you all. Pleas Be patient It really is just a game. I hope this information has helped many QQ an those Blaming PWE, cause as you see no matter what PWE is not at fault. This is just as stressful an aggravating to them as it is to the players.
Sorry this was so long.
Post edited by hstraus on

Comments

• Wunderkind - Dreamweaver
    Wunderkind - Dreamweaver Posts: 315 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    hstraus wrote: »
    I Have Read the Forums but never Posted before. But just wanted everyone out there that is QQ about PWE an the server attacks, Saying why it could be happening etc. I just wanted to Let everyone know (an I hope I don't repeat what others have stated) This is not something PW Can just fix. The server host Has to deal with this. PW also has the Proper Authorities handling this, or helping them. Now if you do a quick Google search, you will see it is not only happening to PWE.

Starting March 3, 2011 Other site have been getting it also.

Here is one for example:
    RESOLVED: DDoS Against WebHop
    Sun, 20 Mar 2011 1612 UTC "As of approximately 1615 UTC, we are currently experiencing a distributed denial of service attack against our WebHop redirection service. All other services are operating normally, but the WebHop service may be temporarily unavailable.

This is just one company, there are 5-6 others that is getting hit the same days as PW.

Netflix has been hit also. So Many people could not even watch a good movie while waiting for server stability.

March 22nd, 2011, 18:57 GMT South Korea has taken recent DDoS attacks against governmental websites very seriously and plans to start work on strengthening defenses against such threats.The announced measures come after earlier this month around thirty governmental and private websites were targeted in attacks launched from a botnet of around 50,000 infected computers.

Be sure to check your E-mail also, I received this. So everyone will be compensated when this is over.
    "Recently Perfect World Entertainment has fallen victim to malicious internet attacks."

Due to these attacks, you may have had connection issues in-game, or loading issues with our websites. We sincerely apologize for the issue and will be compensating all of our players once these attacks have ceased and the source of the issue has been shut down.

We are working swiftly to ensure that these types of issues will not occur again in the future. We are also working with the proper authorities to ensure that the culprits are found and dealt with accordingly.

Once again, we are deeply sorry for inconveniences caused, and we will update you again once everything has been resolved.

- The PWE Team"

So as it appears it is bigger than we all thought. I just hope they do catch the idiot, But I really doubt it.

Good luck to you all. Pleas Be patient It really is just a game. I hope this information has helped many QQ an those Blaming PWE, cause as you see no matter what PWE is not at fault. This is just as stressful an aggravating to them as it is to the players.
    Sorry this was so long.

Link for verification
    Currently: pwcalc.com/b4c92dacf1da8c21
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    DDoS attacks have been around for like 15 years. It's not something that started with PWE.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Lurani - Raging Tide
    Lurani - Raging Tide Posts: 344 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Gosh darn angry nerds. >.> <.<
    Jk.
  • Crit_Heal - Dreamweaver
    Crit_Heal - Dreamweaver Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I better get my zen back due to charm ****...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Im a troll ;..;b:cute
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    As Asterelle said, DDoS attacks have been around for forever.

It's just recently someone/people have been attacking frequently.

I lost a charm D:
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • adsagaeeeee
    adsagaeeeee Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You need a lot of people to successfully DDOS. You think there are enough people that care enough about PWE to try to DDOS it? Let alone just the east coast servers. So I highly doubt that these series of lag and dc's are caused by DDOS.
  • hstraus
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Nope didn't start with PWE... But sure is messing with it now.

And they will be around as long as there is an internet. as soon as they Find a block for what ever form they are using at this moment there will already be a new route or way to do it again. it is a never ending battle. just like anti-viruses. Its a Viscous cycle world we live in.

Besides reading the forums here I am not playing till later in the day when the attacks are not happening or not so hard.

The Sad thing is Anyone playing on a PWE Server or basically anyone on their computer can actually be a DDOS Victim and not even know it unless they notice the computer is slow an CPU is running high. an most of them think its just their Computer acting up, when in reality their computer is being used to send the attacks.

Ok I am not going to say anything else regarding this cause I am not an expert (Far from it)
    But a few of my friends are. an I do not want to give any false information, or give wrong ideas.

But what I have stated is a Fact. if you look up the info on DDOS Attacks you will see what I said is a fact.

the other thing I wanted to point out, everyone QQ about 2x being bad timing etc. PWE did not know this was going to last this long. But at least the low lvls can make up for exp loss Between their DC times. But unfortunately not so easy for the higher lvls.
    Good luck to you all playing. I am going to take a break an play my Sims for a few days. But I will still be checking back here for any good news or updates.
  • hstraus
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You need a lot of people to successfully DDOS. You think there are enough people that care enough about PWE to try to DDOS it? Let alone just the east coast servers. So I highly doubt that these series of lag and dc's are caused by DDOS.

I am not saying your wrong in anyway. But actually it can be on soul person, Just depends on how they are doing the attacks, an how many computers they targeted to do the attack.

Hence it does take more than one person so you are not wrong.

But one person can set up to target 100 to 10000 computers to send the attacks. Problem is the computers being used many times have no idea they are doing it.

Many years ago a friend of mine was used as a DDOS attacker, they had so many computer problems at the time, they formatted their comp an started over, then they received an e-mail from their server being warned to Stop Immediately or the Proper Authority's would take action.

But thank goodness when they formatted that shut down their internet connection an stopped their computer from being used.
  • YouriNishi - Raging Tide
    YouriNishi - Raging Tide Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options

Wrong, can be done by one person. Yahoo was put to a stand still a few yrs back by a 14yr old b:bye
  • zstoneonex
    zstoneonex Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Wrong, can be done by one person. Yahoo was put to a stand still a few yrs back by a 14yr old b:bye

^
    10chars
  • vristion
    vristion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    A of PW private servers was just going through this, from one single person, just a week or 2 ago.
  • Eden - Raging Tide
    Eden - Raging Tide Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    it happen frequently enough to easily allow pwi to get ddos

no one really consider how many zombie computers there are... easily high millions

if u dont know what this mean u obviously have not followed the issue and should look it up
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    Sparc - Harshlands Posts: 277 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options

You sir, do not know what you're talking about...
  • Dezto - Harshlands
    Dezto - Harshlands Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    You sir, do not know what you're talking about...

Wait what?
    Are you telling me it's not actually 1000+ nerds using ms dos to ping the server (-t obviously)??

MY MIND HAS BEEN B:MINDBLOWN
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Wait what?
    Are you telling me it's not actually 1000+ nerds using ms dos to ping the server (-t obviously)??

MY MIND HAS BEEN B:MINDBLOWN

you are also obviously naive to 'hacker culture'

MSDOS --- seriously LMFAO
  • Sparc - Harshlands
    edited March 2011
    Options
    A single person could launch an attack of the like -- ever heard of a BOTNET :p

I'm guessing not -- since you think it's a well formulated plan being simultaneously acted out by "1000+ nerds" b:laugh :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

Computers that are actually doing attacks like these -- are everyday people who've been infected and don't even know it. That's right YOU could be part of a BOTNET right now, and not even know it.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Montgomery Burns is a living DDoS attack.

Anyway...

I used to hang out on an IRC server. Someone DDoSed it. It was a small 40 computer attack... But oh my god, it was annoying. And it stopped instantly when I set the channel to moderated.

The attacker will make a mistake and get caught sooner or later. It always happens, especially if this is a nerd-rage script kiddie.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Crit_Heal - Dreamweaver
    Crit_Heal - Dreamweaver Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    A single person could launch an attack of the like -- ever heard of a BOTNET :p

I'm guessing not -- since you think it's a well formulated plan being simultaneously acted out by "1000+ nerds" b:laugh :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Botnet

Computers that are actually doing attacks like these -- are everyday people who've been infected and don't even know it. That's right YOU could be part of a BOTNET right now, and not even know it.

you rly need wikipedia to support your argument, you fail, and there is no way 1 person can send more data to crash a server than all th players in game alrdy does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Im a troll ;..;b:cute
  • Firefeng - Dreamweaver
    Firefeng - Dreamweaver Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    you rly need wikipedia to support your argument, you fail, and there is no way 1 person can send more data to crash a server than all th players in game alrdy does.

Educate thyself, cur.
  • Obly - Dreamweaver
    Obly - Dreamweaver Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    DDoS attacks? PWE Forgot 2 pay the server bill? They got outdated Servers?

Player Limit on Servers has been reached, but not increased?

Really, whatever the reason may be, i really could not care less. All i know is that it is friggin annoying.

PWE gave us 2x for 3 days as a compensation. Nice work. But before you start tapping yourself on the back, how about this;

Leave 2x everything on TILL YOU SOLVED THE PROBLEM!

kthnxbai
    b:victory Once you discover life is meaningless, you will see my point of view!! b:victory

Skills determine a good player, not a creditcard.b:flower
  • Frijolero - Sanctuary
    Frijolero - Sanctuary Posts: 820 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options

Actually, it's quite easy for 1 person to do that kind of attack. The DDoS attack is the easiest and simplest kind someone can learn and do in a short period of time. It only takes some time and/or money to have control of enough computers, either by owning them or "hijacking" them using some sort of malware, to succesfully make an DDoS attack.

There are cyber criminals organizations that "sell" or "rent" hijacked networks of thousand of computers to privates so they can usem them for different types of network attacks, DDoS included.
    Sliding we go, only fear on our side. To the edge of the wire and we rush with the tide.
    Although I'm still alive, pray to God I survive
    How long on this longest day, 'til we finally make it through.
    - June 6, 1944. The day earth stood still.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IHazNutz - Dreamweaver
    IHazNutz - Dreamweaver Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    there is no way 1 person can send more data to crash a server than all th players in game alrdy does.

Thanks for the lol, lemme guess, you work for homeland security don't you?

You'd really be amazed what one person can do if you had half a clue. Perhaps some simple reading to start, google a group called the l0ft. Kinda old school now, but prolly a good place for you to start. They scared the hell out of microsoft with computers literally taken from dumpsters, pretty funny stuff.
  • Tigriss_o - Raging Tide
    Tigriss_o - Raging Tide Posts: 625 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options

*facepalm* You would think by now I wouldn't be surprised by the lack of knowledge and the laziness of people not bothering to learn around here. b:irritated
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Theoclese - Harshlands
    Theoclese - Harshlands Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options

"It is wrong, evil and just blasphemous to insinuate or lead others to believe that our government purposefully killed 3000 of it's own people"

Just another example of someone refusing to believe something when all the facts are laid right out there for them..... (facepalm) wait wait I know.... the terrorists dd it... oh no,.. wait wait.... believed to be linked to alquada ......yeah that's the ticket!!!b:chuckle
  • dragon80blaster
    dragon80blaster Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    could possibly be linked to terrorist attacks and such.

this is why you should never **** off realy good hacker-nerds lol
  • kepi117
    kepi117 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    "It is wrong, evil and just blasphemous to insinuate or lead others to believe that our government purposefully killed 3000 of it's own people"

Just another example of someone refusing to believe something when all the facts are laid right out there for them..... (facepalm) wait wait I know.... the terrorists dd it... oh no,.. wait wait.... believed to be linked to alquada ......yeah that's the ticket!!!b:chuckle

...seriously? >_>;
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Just another example of someone refusing to believe something when all the facts are laid right out there for them..... (facepalm)

Wow...you have the audacity to bring one of America's greatest tragedies up in a petty argument? I pity your poor taste...