Whats it the best thing to merchant at the start

Options
SinfuINature - Harshlands
SinfuINature - Harshlands Posts: 533 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
^^ what sis the best items to start with? anything and everything? or what?
Post edited by SinfuINature - Harshlands on

Comments

• sig1043a
    sig1043a Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    If you are talking about someone completely new to the game and you want to start selling farmed items? Rough fur, grease, glue, and thread tend to sell for decent amounts. Many noobs end up NPCing these items.

But if you have some $$, now would probably be a decent time to sell gold since on Dreamweaver at least it is pretty high due to the tiger pack sale. Then you can buy gold when the price drops again and resell when it gets higher. Be sure to factor in the fee PWI charges per gold.
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    ^^ what sis the best items to start with? anything and everything? or what?
    Ultimately, there can be no "best" list, because then if enough people follow that list, the competition will kill the market for those items.

You might want to read the "WarrenWolfy's Guide to Merchanting - Part 1" article from the PW Insider blog, it has a pretty good guide to help you figure out what kinds of things might be good to merchant early on in the game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear
    KAZMOENEEK - Heavens Tear Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Junk junk and more junk.when I started my alts I would save a ton of dq drops and then sell all that's left after banker quest.there are a few popular dq items..for example,element fragments,which are very hot sellers at 5k,or quest herbs like palo and a few others for the lazy ones that don't want to take the time to go find for themselves.

Or gold..lol a 10-20$ card will have a low lvl set in coin for a while.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Everything, if you limit yourself to just a few items then you're really nerfing yourself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Ankiel - Raging Tide
    Ankiel - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    if you staring new, you want to start with low cost items that people buy/sell a lot of

the profit margin will be small ( under 10% per item ) but if you move a lot of it, then it adds up

eventually, you will be able to merch the pricey items with large profit margins

you want to start out with consumables that are very active
    this could be the more popular herbs, gems (i.e crazy stone gems ) fur/oils and other mats, ect

just study all the other catshops in the area, see if there is room for some profit, and go for it

expect people to undercut you all the time, so at times profit will be small, but just stick to it

i got into a major pricing war with another catshop when i started, killed both out profits, but eventually we both branched out a bit, and we dont really compete with each other much now

be flexible, be patient, be smart, its doable
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Everything, if you limit yourself to just a few items then you're really nerfing yourself.

Find an item you know the market in-and-out for and focus on that to get an income, but don't let it keep you from learning other markets for other items.
    I <3 AGOREY