Ion Spike

Options
AegisGray - Heavens Tear
AegisGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Seeker
Ion Spike Level 1

Attacks enemies within 8.4 meters of your target.
Deals metal damage equal to basic damage plus 105%
of weapon damage plus 953.6. Has a 55%
chance to reduce enemies' metal resistance by 17%
for 10 seconds.

Heartseeker Level 1

Deals Metal damage equal to base Physical Attack, plus
55% of weapon damage, plus1050.8.
Has a 43% chance to immobilize the target for
for 8 seconds.

Would just like some input from Seekers who have used these skills. As it reads now (Ecatomb so *shrugs* grain of salt) These are magical attacks (not physical attacks with magical damage added).

Found it intriguing. Can someone Clarify?

-Edit- I don’t believe that’s the case but *shrugs* intriguing none the less.
Finding Solutions to many of your problems starts by looking in the mirror and accepting a small measure of responsibility
Post edited by AegisGray - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    hm. i've used ion spike some right after getting it, decided its damage wasn't worth the cast+channel time and the spark cost, and ignored it thereafter. didn't notice the all-magic aspect to it, though... next time i'm at silver pool on my seeker i'll hit kun kun with it and see if he resists.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Ion Spike has annoying channel but it's very strong, when you actually hit with it.

Heartseeker is a great skill IMO because at the time you get it and onward..it has the most reliable "chance" to cripple a mob. That despite it being a magic attack, it is a very strong one. It's very good for planting mobs in place early on.

We lack a lot of control skills and heartseeker is perhaps the most reliable one of all.

...If only it had a shorter cooldown.
  • _Belgarion_ - Dreamweaver
    _Belgarion_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Ion spike is useful in a combo of Heart Shatter (lower metal resistance) > Ion Spike (chance to lower metal resistance) > Battousai (metal damage) or Heartseeker once you unlock it from my experience
  • Omea - Lost City
    Omea - Lost City Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    It is just as Ecatomb describes, metal-damage equal to your base physical attack. Nothing to misconceive there.

That way it gets affected by physical strength and not magical strength.

And magic damage is proved by Kun Kun who resists and IMR mobs take less damage from them.

Funny fact about Heartseeker. If you use it on a fully physical mob and run in and start hitting it, it can't reach you, considered it's frozen by the effect. That gives you 8 seconds of free damage.
    How come, if someone asks a question in a forum, at least 13/20 posts answers the question in the same exact way, 5/20 word the exact same answer differently and 2/20 say something completely unrelated to both life and death?
  • vristion
    vristion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Its like for example cleric's plume shot...

Deals -Physical damage- based of your magic attack...
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i have used it and i love it.

its an aoe u can cast from range.

if the mobs dont have aggro on you already the channeling doesnt matter much. and if they do. you have blade affinity to make it go faster. (a LOT faster)

its damage is REALLY nice. im hitting 3k with it on mobs at lvl 42 (felbone shanks) without my jones (cause the damn page is broken)

and if i get a crit it normally 1 shots them

this is a really awesome skill and i cant wait to use it in combo with gemini strike when i unlock it

heartseeker is also a nice skill

the channel is a little long yes but its not any wore than plume shot on my cleric

it got a decent range and the chance for an 8 second freeze is extremly useful.

i should also note that both these skills along with Battousai

deal metal damage

so when figther heavy armor players you can do a nice chunk of damage

Esipaiclly if u start with ion strike and lower their resist and then freeze then from range with heart seeker. both of which can be cast during blade affinity for a nice starter

Seeker is great. I just wish the mobs at my lvl would stay closer together so i could aoe them more
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Teqnikz - Lost City
    Teqnikz - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    From my experience all the attacks that have magic tied to them are exactly like what was postee above. The attack hits with magic damage but is based on our physical attack and can miss because it is considered a physical attack for attack purposes. This means that yes Increased Magic Resistance mobs take less damage from them.

As far as Ion Spike is concerned it is good combined with Gemini Slash. Not really useful to just throw it in there as it uses a spark. My mob combo is Heart Shatter>Heartseeker>Battousai hopefully Spirit Bore lands so then Blade Affinity>Ion Spike>Gemini Slash. This will channel IS and GS with in the 6sec very fast. Nothing can really be dangerous after that unless they are a boss mob. Now against players I use Heartseeker>Battousai if SB then Blade Affinity>Ion Spike>Gemini Slash or if no SB then I Void Step>Dark Cloud>Battousai>Heartseeker until I get SB up whenever it lands I go to Gemini Combo. Most of my fights have not lasted long enough to even get that many hits. I either 1shot, 2shot, make the combo, or they stunlock me and take me out. I have even hit 100s with just Heartseeker and it takes atleast 15% of there life and I was 88 with skill at lvl 6.
  • Nethare - Dreamweaver
    Nethare - Dreamweaver Posts: 47 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    First off the confusing element in the description is the same as lightning strike for archers. Physical attack stat is used for an attack that does magic damage. If it used a seeker's magic attack in the math it would do almost no damage.

Quick rule of thumb, Never judge a skill by it's ability at lvl 1. Go read the description to see if it becomes useful later. For example: Stun Arrow.

Fire a movement impeding shot at the opponent, inflicting
    base physical damage plus 697.5. Has a 45% chance
    to stun the enemy for 3 seconds

45% is bull wtf *skips*. Now who here has ever seen an archer use stun arrow. b:puzzled
    (I point this example out because I actually made this exact mistake until about lvl 75.)

Now applied to our Ion Spike. Lvl 10: Range 20m

Attacks enemies within 12.0 meters of your target.
    Deals metal damage equal to basic damage plus 150%
    of weapon damage plus 3470.9. Has a 100%
    chance to reduce enemies' metal resistance by 35%
    for 10 seconds.

Now this is powerful. It is an AoE launched at range on a melee class that does very respectable damage as well as debuffing a resistance to combo with many other seeker skills.

A nice combo is maxed Gemini Slash with maxed Soulsever Minuet. Maxed soulsever gives a 50% chance for the spirit bore status to proc when you attack, like using Ion Spike on a group. Follow up with Gemini Slash for massive spike damage with 7+k metal incoming to all of the targets with spirit bore and walk away. Pop Blade Affinity first and you have one of the best spike damage combos in the game with no channeling. All at 20M range in a 12M AoE for 1 spark total and when not counting Blade affinity it has a 15second cooldown, more than spammable in group PvP. It should also be noted that the metal debuff stacks with heart shatter but it is the same debuff as the archer's thundershock or a demon cleric's wield thunder.

Now for Heartseeker. First off this feels like Aim Low with no chi cost and +%weapon for more damage. Aim Low: Base physical damage plus 3469.5 and has a 90% chance to paralyze the target for 8.0 seconds, costs 1 spark. Heartseeker however appears to max out at 70%, not so fun. However, considering the lack of significant other control skills as well as the ranged magic damage aspect on a physical melee class makes it a respectable skill. Also it should be noted, with a slightly larger grain of salt, that in the translated lvl 11 skills the base chance goes to 85% with reading of the sage version putting it at 100%.

Overall since seekers get alot of their damage off of procs from their sword stances anything that allows you to get shots in at your opponent from range or allows for extra attacks before you get kited or attacked should be considered. Remember that every attack has a chance for a stance proc and that with AoEs the chance is calculated independently for each target.
  • Alsiadorra - Sanctuary
    Alsiadorra - Sanctuary Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Funny fact about Heartseeker. If you use it on a fully physical mob and run in and start hitting it, it can't reach you, considered it's frozen by the effect. That gives you 8 seconds of free damage.

I've noticed that as well. That is clearly a bug but hey it's a nice bug.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I've noticed that as well. That is clearly a bug but hey it's a nice bug.

How could this possibly be a bug?

Archers do this all the time, and this game mechanic I believe justifies archer's low health and the one spark cost on archer's aim low when other classes do not need so much chi for that kind of effect.

Ok, probably not all archers use this mechanism, but archers that know how to use their skills, and archers in squads that know how to take advantage of archers do this, and ...

Anyways, from my point of view this game was designed to make this mechanic work this way. (And freeze does not work on bosses, you can only freeze "easy monsters".)
  • CeliaZ - Sanctuary
    CeliaZ - Sanctuary Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    How could this possibly be a bug?

Archers do this all the time, and this game mechanic I believe justifies archer's low health and the one spark cost on archer's aim low when other classes do not need so much chi for that kind of effect.

Ok, probably not all archers use this mechanism, but archers that know how to use their skills, and archers in squads that know how to take advantage of archers do this, and ...

Anyways, from my point of view this game was designed to make this mechanic work this way. (And freeze does not work on bosses, you can only freeze "easy monsters".)

This. Weapons have a range, apparently mobs have a lower range, so you standing at max range while they cant walk means they cant attack. No bug at all, just the programmed range.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • QuakeX - Lost City
    QuakeX - Lost City Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    usualy whn u use spike or gemini, do it after blade affinity [-80% chan]

i can kill bm/ea/sin 10x decent gear under 5 sec with this combo [with gemini sword buff]

blade affinity/spike/heartseeker/gemini
  • mrkbbjj
    mrkbbjj Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    While on the subject after I forgot name of skill the skill branches off into two sections;one mainly consisting of physical damage skills and one doing metal damage? Should one stick to one branch or both??
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    mrkbbjj wrote: »
    While on the subject after I forgot name of skill the skill branches off into two sections;one mainly consisting of physical damage skills and one doing metal damage? Should one stick to one branch or both??

both...
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.