Too much lag since expension

Tailla_Xx - Raging Tide
Tailla_Xx - Raging Tide Posts: 108 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Hi everyone,

I normally have never lag and if i have lag it's very rare and very low. Now the problem is, since the expension I really have alot of lag (even 10k ping wich is tooo high for me!). b:sad Now, my question is: Is it just me (or my internet connection) or has everyone more lag since the expension? And can i do something about it because it's freaking annoying with all the freezing screens :S b:angry
Post edited by Tailla_Xx - Raging Tide on

Comments

• DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I've had it too. Not sure if it's my internet or if it's the expansion tbh.

This lag is different though. I can still talk as if I wasn't lag locked, but my character won't respond to commands such as moving or talking to NPCs. I can also see everything happening around my character, people moving around, etc.
    My character will eventually carry out those actions when my computer has "caught up" to the connection, like it does with regular lag.
    But it is still odd that the lag only seems to affect my character, not my ability to communicate or see what's happening around me.
  • Tailla_Xx - Raging Tide
    edited March 2011
    I've had it too. Not sure if it's my internet or if it's the expansion tbh.

This lag is different though. I can still talk as if I wasn't lag locked, but my character won't respond to commands such as moving or talking to NPCs. I can also see everything happening around my character, people moving around, etc.
    My character will eventually carry out those actions when my computer has "caught up" to the connection, like it does with regular lag.
    But it is still odd that the lag only seems to affect my character, not my ability to communicate or see what's happening around me.

No it's not your internet conncection i think cuz have exactly the same problem! Everything you describe is the same b:sad and i have a pretty fast conection tho
    edited March 2011
    No it's not your internet conncection i think cuz have exactly the same problem! Everything you describe is the same b:sad and i have a pretty fast conection tho

We're taking our case to Washington yo.

You submit a ticket? Cause if you haven't, toss my name in it when you do, cause I'm too lazy to submit my own b:avoid

Btw, have your graphics been acting up? Mine will occasionally get really bad, where all animations are white cubes, then PWI will shut down on me and the "report an issue" page will come up.
  • MaIakai - Heavens Tear
    MaIakai - Heavens Tear Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I agree
    Prior to the expansion my ping would rarely spike above 400. My ping would always stay around 70-200.

Now 400 is my average. I'm constantly hitting 2k-3k pings then being disconnected

I'm getting sreen freezing all the time. No one moves. I move around but can't attack. 5 minutes later everything zooms by and either kicked out of the squad for not responding or far away from everyone.
    edited March 2011
    I agree
    Prior to the expansion my ping would rarely spike above 400. My ping would always stay around 70-200.

Now 400 is my average. I'm constantly hitting 2k-3k pings then being disconnected

I'm getting sreen freezing all the time. No one moves. I move around but can't attack. 5 minutes later everything zooms by and either kicked out of the squad for not responding or far away from everyone.

I'm familiar with that kind of lag. It's different than what Tailia and I are experiencing, but it might be caused by the expansion as well, I'm not sure.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    It seem has something to do with the recent tsunami mayagi . . . (b:surrender)
    My ping also jumped 3x times the usual (b:shutup)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
    edited March 2011
    I agree

Yup indeed, frozen screens, and it's very annoying if i'm soloing a TT and have to heal herc >.>

We're taking our case to Washington yo.

You submit a ticket? Cause if you haven't, toss my name in it when you do, cause I'm too lazy to submit my own b:avoid

Btw, have your graphics been acting up? Mine will occasionally get really bad, where all animations are white cubes, then PWI will shut down on me and the "report an issue" page will come up.

Rofl, the problem is, if i submit a ticket there will be 2 options:
    1. They don't answer me >.>
    2. They answer but say that they will take care of it (wich will never happen if it's "only me and you" :p)
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I agree

this is happeneing to me too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • BravestBarb - Heavens Tear
    BravestBarb - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I agree

This is happening to me too. I can sometimes see everyone moving around but I cannot move or use skill. For example, during FFC today I was pulling mobs as barb and then all of a sudden i see cleric running forward of me and other BM running forward and my hp falling down fast. I try to invoke but wouldn't let me and I die and squad wipe ...b:angry
    BravestBarb (Main)- Level 75
    BraverVeno (active...cant wait for mystics) - Level 72
    BrutalSinNer (semi-active) - Level 48
    edited March 2011
    But everyone is agree with me if I say that there is really more lag since the expension Genesis and that's it's not only me who's complaining?

PS: I'm really hoping they will lower the lag one of the following maintenances.
  • Tiageos - Sanctuary
    Tiageos - Sanctuary Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    1. The lag is in between you and the servers.

2. No update is going to fix the lag because of reason number 1.

3. Many people, (myself included), have NOT experience ANY change in network lag since the expansion.

I HAVE however, experience graphical lag. There's a big difference between the two.

Today I've even experienced processor lag, which looks similar to Network lag, but it's not lag.

When are you guys going to get a clue? It's not PWE or the servers. It may not even be your internet connection. It's most likely a spike on one of the many routers between you and PWI.

Remember, it could also be because you insist on playing on that noob little laptop that wasn't designed to play games.
  • KrimsonTears - Sanctuary
    KrimsonTears - Sanctuary Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Tiageos has hit it on the nail there. My average ping before the expansion was around 175ms. Now it's running closer to 158ms on average.
    I have been experiencing a drop in framerate and a delayed response from my system though from all the added data being processed. (It helps a little to set the processor affinity to 1.)

Also I turn off Indexing on my gaming system and have disabled most of the active scans and defragging that typically happens in the background. Running a Core2-Quad 6600 @2.4GHz with 4GB ram and a 8800GT with 512MB. I average 18FPS in West arch and 40ish out in the world. Without killing the background processes, I get about 4 and 26 respectively.

It's also pretty easy to tell the difference when you've been playing/GMing/hosting MMO's since Meridian 59, and have a reasonable amount of computer knowledge and common sense.

Quit being idiots and blaming PWI when really you don't have a clue at all.
  • FailHardCore - Raging Tide
    FailHardCore - Raging Tide Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Get Alienwear laptop like me no lag on high quality in west arch or citys i win GG have a nice day
    The base of anyones power comes from their knowledge and patience if u do not have those qualitys u have power over noone b:angry

Fail has struck again!!
  • Vixter - Harshlands
    Vixter - Harshlands Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    lag-wise, like connection, ive been fine. but i think the game has an even bigger memory leak now, because i have to restart my game every now and then to put the memory back down. my game gets up to 1.1 mil K memory usage sometimes lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vixter (101 Heavy Veno) ~ TT farmer
    Peachie (102 Mystic) ~ Main character
  • Emer - Lost City
    Emer - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    It seems that they turned up the graphics quality in the expansion. One thing I have advised a few people to do (and it's worked for most) is to hit U to get into the settings and turn down the Textures slider one notch.

Also, if you have an nVidia video card, update your drivers at nvidia.com. A couple months back, they brought out a driver version that loves PWI more. b:pleased
    PancaKes: Deadly, and good with syrup. b:sin
  • Djoulz - Lost City
    Djoulz - Lost City Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    it's not the expansion, dude, it's the amount of packs opened by the minute... ijs
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Also, keep in mind that some "older" graphics cards will do better than the latest and greatest.

The game engine that PWI uses is about a decade old and uses the graphics technology from back then (DirectX 8), which is XP era. The latest cards are optimized for DirectX 10 and 11 and don't necessarily do quite as well on the advanced-back-then methods used for higher-end graphics. The newer DirectX versions are far better about optimization, and the cards are designed with this in mind. Overhauling the graphics engine is probably not an easy task, else we'd likely have seen them do it already.

So, yeah. Having a brand new top of the line graphics card isn't necessarily a fix for graphics lag. But keep your drivers up to date and don't be afraid to turn down a few settings when they do expansions that bring better graphics quality. Overall, it'll still look better! b:victory
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    One of the servers went completely offline earlier (crashed). Now, PWI may not be very open or forthcoming about... Well... ANYTHING, EVER. But, it was shared in the thread where Frankie stated the server crashed, and had been restarted, that the world map is on one piece of hardware, and the instances (FB/BH, FCC, I'm guessing OHT, Nirvana, etc.) are on separate hardware. So... I have noticed that when in instances, especially BH59, and especially when on Ofo, there is a noticeable lag. It's not graphical. It's not network. It's not my computer. It's SERVER side. How do I know? For one, I have FRAPS running, so I can see my hardware is not suffering and is spitting out 60-80 FPS at Ofo. It's not network, because there is NO slowdown at all until Ofo has been pulled, and the very first hit goes out against him. Then, my ping goes to hell, and suddenly, 3-4 people in the BH group (including myself) are fighting Ofo with lag that is in the 2,000 to 6,000 ms range. AS SOON AS HE DIES, it goes right back to normal.

This suggests to me that the lag is server side. The internet doesn't care that I'm fighting Ofo, the packets look the same. My computer doesn't care, Ofo looks the same fighting as he does standing. And it still is giving me really good FPS. The only thing that really could cause a consistent, very event specific lag like that is the server.

I actually have a screen cap of me in BH69, fighting Nob. On the FIRST HIT, I swore I DCed. I was in limbo for a very long time. 13,600 or so m/s worth of time. My ping stayed in that range, and everything was EXTREMELY jerky, until he died (thank GOD there was a 101 sin helping out!). The INSTANT he died, my ping went straight to 120 m/s.

So... Sometimes, it really is the server. If it's the wrong time of day, and everyone is in an instance, and apparently killing the same boss, the server is gonna shank you.

Now, that rant is done, I have a piece of advice. If you are concerned where your lag is coming from, and you suspect it is network related, you can post in the Troubleshooting forum and an admin or mod may give you instructions to tracert the server whiel you're lagging to see which piece of internet hardware is causing the lag.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Chadric - Heavens Tear
    Chadric - Heavens Tear Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    1. The lag is in between you and the servers.

2. No update is going to fix the lag because of reason number 1.

3. Many people, (myself included), have NOT experience ANY change in network lag since the expansion.

I HAVE however, experience graphical lag. There's a big difference between the two.

Today I've even experienced processor lag, which looks similar to Network lag, but it's not lag.

When are you guys going to get a clue? It's not PWE or the servers. It may not even be your internet connection. It's most likely a spike on one of the many routers between you and PWI.

Remember, it could also be because you insist on playing on that noob little laptop that wasn't designed to play games.
    Tiageos has hit it on the nail there. My average ping before the expansion was around 175ms. Now it's running closer to 158ms on average.
    I have been experiencing a drop in framerate and a delayed response from my system though from all the added data being processed. (It helps a little to set the processor affinity to 1.)

Also I turn off Indexing on my gaming system and have disabled most of the active scans and defragging that typically happens in the background. Running a Core2-Quad 6600 @2.4GHz with 4GB ram and a 8800GT with 512MB. I average 18FPS in West arch and 40ish out in the world. Without killing the background processes, I get about 4 and 26 respectively.

It's also pretty easy to tell the difference when you've been playing/GMing/hosting MMO's since Meridian 59, and have a reasonable amount of computer knowledge and common sense.

Quit being idiots and blaming PWI when really you don't have a clue at all.

Bingo! No one else gets it still... lol If it WAS the GAME (their servers or w/e, EVERYONE would be lagging) and that just isnt' the case. I NEVER lag (or d/c, unless you count trying to switch toons and poof you're dc'ed), except in West arch (but that's because there's 5000 people in one place). I also lag in Raging tides and now Tellus too.. but it's not too bad. And guess what, if I'm going to THOSE cities I turn the distance down in the first main UI settings tab and it goes away. It's all that flashing **** and stuff they put in those two cities. Funny thing though, I can run Crysis on FULL setting on this pc. but meh

As for what Serra said above, that makes sense if half the server's hitting the same instance at once. I've hit Ofo a few times as well (literally hitting him from behind) and it looks like my sin's attackign in slow motion. Odd part is when that happens I immediately move to the side of Ofo and my speed goes back to normal. b:puzzled
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Funny thing though, I can run Crysis on FULL setting on this pc. but meh

I'm willing to bet you have a relatively recent graphics card, though. Re-read my post. Crysis is made for modern video cards, PWI is made for older video cards. (Don't believe me? Look at the system requirements of both games again...)

Considering the age of the graphics engine in Perfect World, the game has stunning graphics. b:cool
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • Chadric - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2011
    if you count like 4 years as recent... had to replace it when my board got got fried in a freak surge. And i built this pc in like 2001 lol... Btw i had spare MOBO's, so it's just as old as the one that got fried lol.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Bingo! No one else gets it still... lol If it WAS the GAME (their servers or w/e, EVERYONE would be lagging) and that just isnt' the case. I NEVER lag (or d/c, unless you count trying to switch toons and poof you're dc'ed), except in West arch (but that's because there's 5000 people in one place). I also lag in Raging tides and now Tellus too.. but it's not too bad. And guess what, if I'm going to THOSE cities I turn the distance down in the first main UI settings tab and it goes away. It's all that flashing **** and stuff they put in those two cities. Funny thing though, I can run Crysis on FULL setting on this pc. but meh

As for what Serra said above, that makes sense if half the server's hitting the same instance at once. I've hit Ofo a few times as well (literally hitting him from behind) and it looks like my sin's attackign in slow motion. Odd part is when that happens I immediately move to the side of Ofo and my speed goes back to normal. b:puzzled

Well... The server has to handle everything you see, including the mobs, and all of the connections, manage the overhead, etc.

So, it is not quite logical to say "If I'm not lagging, and you are, then it CANNOT be the server lagging", because guess what, it most certainly can. Good grief, before they upgraded the RAM, it was pretty bad.

IMO, Pay to Play MMOs do it better, they set a max number of connections to the server, and if that number is met, you have to wait to connect. They also tend to have a lot more servers than PWI, and can spread the load over more hardware more effectively. 2 or 3 servers in the Midwest would spread the load nicely. Or even 4 servers in Europe, and give those poor blokes some events and such that aren't in the middle of the night!

I just want the rubberbanding fixed... It got better after the expansion, but I still run into it. :(
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • XxZavxX - Raging Tide
    XxZavxX - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    My old laptop lags more since expansion... it's a POS

My new laptop doesn't lag...

Pretty sure most of peoples' problems is the hardware in their computers/laptops. Or network bottlenecks...

Though on the rare occassion it is server side... like when you see 90% of your friends disappear on your FL.
  • Chadric - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2011
    That makes no sense. If the server actually was the lag problem (and I really hope these people arent' talkign about in West arch... cause lag there's a given even on the best servers for any game) and it was slow in sending out the info to Person A..... wouldn't person B be gettign the information slowly too? The ONYL time i've seen lag or dc's actually be the server's problem was on FFXI once. Idk what happened to the servers anymore.... btu everyone, and i mean EVERYONE, was dc'ign once or twice an hour. Took awhile for Square Enix to realize it actually was them..... but when they did they shut the game down, tested everything, and found faulty equip. Been fine since then.
  • Tojop - Dreamweaver
    Tojop - Dreamweaver Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I also enjoyed 80-160 ping regularly before expansion; my average is now 400+, along with screen freezes and the odd disconnect. Fix it b:angry
  • Chadric - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2011
    ermmmm ok this is the person always saying it's not the servers, i never lag... ever.... yada yada yada..... LOL i retract that for NOW. For the first time EVER on here i'm lagging like a b****h...... Been on my mystic all morning doing quests...... I'd say 50 times (and that's prolly a understatement) the game froze up for a sec to even 10 seconds while fighting. Hell it even did it while i was trying ot kill Jumang for the Divine Contract. And I was ALONE. PWI..... me thinks it's time to upgrade/test the servers (and equip like ram, maybe some sticks went bad?)......

Edit: ya i just loaded 15 different sites.... tried another game..... ran speed tests on 3 different sites, multiple times all over the planet, including to Los Angeles (i'm in FL). My connection and everything between was steady and full speed.... so... idk

EDIT 2: holy ****..... this is a first. I was just FLYING..... and bug report... game crashed.... >.<

Edit 3: jesus... i just fought shade eido...... and did NOTHIGN but hold down pet heal (on mystic), cause the GAME froze halfway through the fight till Eido was dead...... EVERY other online game i have on here.... web pages... everythings fine (cept THESE forums "freeze up" and dont' laod completely quite a bit lately) except THIS game. I've never seen anythign like this before except when i was on dialup at grandma's lol..... but I'm at home on 18mbs High speed. >.< PW has NEVER lagged like THIS, not since i first instaleld it like .. idk 2 years ago? Most I've ever had was the West Arch lag but that's kinda a given...
  • Chadric - Heavens Tear
    edited March 2011
    bumping.... just to point out there really IS a problem this time. Mods, might wanna sticky this for a bit, try to see just how many peopel are having problems. And please dont' try to say it's on our end...... I havent' had a SINGLE problem in this game until now.
  • scarfaceclaw
    scarfaceclaw Posts: 443 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    PWI need to take their millions and invest in some better hardware for hosting the game.

I do LOL at the people who drop hundreds, if not thousands of dollars on a game that is full of bugs and lag.
    What kind of fool pays for a free game.
  • Terasgift - Heavens Tear
    Terasgift - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    new to me also: ping of 276 and FPS of 6?b:shocked

ping of 1356 and FPS of 33

either way it's freeze or lag i quit doing BH's due to it till something hapens to fix it on my side or thier side.b:surrender
  • Ephemera - Raging Tide
    Ephemera - Raging Tide Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I've been lagging off and on a little more than I did before the expansion, but nothing terrible. Tonight, though, I've been jumping around anywhere from 200-1300 ping randomly, and then it goes back down to normal...then shoots back up again. It's not my internet, as I've tested it repeatedly and all ping tests are coming back within normal range--but in-game, my ping has been repeatedly spiking for no reason.

I almost wasn't able to finish the BH I was just in because I couldn't even see what I was doing half the time. b:sad I've never lagged this much in PWI before.