Trend Micro Antivirus Located Trojan Horse

Options
mobytheminnow
mobytheminnow Posts: 3 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Support Desk
While downloading the patch Trned Micro found Trojan Horse at this location at the point of an .stck file download C:\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International\config\element\tempfile.dat b:angry b:angry b:angry What to do from here?
Post edited by mobytheminnow on

Comments

• ozimov
    ozimov Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    This is likely to be a false positive. Our game includes certain security features which some pieces of anti-virus software misflag as malware. These security features exist to help prevent players from having their passwords stolen, for example by keyloggers in internet cafes. Some antivirus programs will also automatically block new pieces of software when you try to download them, install them, update them (also called patching), or play them. This happens because the antivirus software maker doesn't have the game files in their own exceptions list, and is simply blocking it "just in case." Antivirus programs can sometimes also block it when game files get changed, like with what often happens during patching a game, because it's different now.

Alternatively, your computer may have previously been infected with a real virus. Some pieces of malware are sophisticated enough to latch onto new downloads and installations. Please also be sure that you are downloading from our website and not a third party site. You might want to run several scans with multiple anti spyware, malware and antivirus programs to help protect your computer from potential threats.

Antivirus programs and the like (firewalls and other security programs), are great for keeping your computer safe from many bad things that are floating around on the Internet. However, antivirus programs can also cause some frustration or mild discomfort when trying to play computer games. The information we provide here is to help you try to make the process of getting your games running on your computer with as little hassle as possible. These tips and links are to help you troubleshoot your issues :)

* Add exceptions (adds file(s) to an exclusion list) for the game's file(s) into your antivirus software.
    * Temporarily disable (please note that you do this AT YOUR OWN RISK) your antivirus software long enough to get the game installed and playing, then re-enable your antivirus software. Note: By disabling your antivirus, you do so at your own risk, and PWE is not responsible for any damages that could occur to your system hardware or software, or any loss of data that could occur.

Thank you!
  • mobytheminnow
    mobytheminnow Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I added 3 of the 4 programs you have in the list to my exceptions couldnt find the other and too lazy to look, I believe that was the login screen. But Trend Micro gives you a warning in the bottom right corner of the screen. I could only get the game to work by downloading the manual patch and turning off my antivirus. I know there is no program spewing trojans on my machine except that patcher.

But since the manual patch works, and afterwards I didnt get the trojan message I am happy with that.
  • FartsALot - Harshlands
    FartsALot - Harshlands Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I reported the Trojan to customer-no-service, here is a copy and paste of my report and their reply. I did research on Trojan.Win32.Generic.pak!cobra and it has been in the top 10 nasty viruses for over a year, yet PWI is trying to say that is not a threat, to turn off the antivirus, or to allow it. This same virus crashed my fiance's old computer, and my brother's computer, but PWI said it is nothing to worry about. b:angryb:angryb:angryb:angryb:angry I guess they do not want people playing the game or they would look into Trojan.Win32.Generic.pak!cobra themselves, and clear it up. I run Vipre by SunbeltSecurities, and it has never failed me, the customer service there is researching the Trojan.Win32.Generic.pak!cobra virus, they are even having their department install the game and look into the virus. Till then I am not going to be playing PWI.

TROJAN found in your program
    Details: I ran a my anti-virus and it found 2 trojan viruses in the patcher and element client files for PWI, I have not had such issues until this massive update, my fiance Demon_Hnter also had the same trojans attached to the same files.

Risk name: Trojan.Win32.Generic.pak!cobra
    Source: Scanner
    Risk level: High
    Risk category: Trojan

Description: Trojan is a general term for malicious software that is installed under false or deceptive pretenses or is installed without the user's full knowledge and consent. Most Trojans exhibit some form of malicious, hostile, or harmful functionality or behavior.

Advice: This is a high risk and should be removed immediately as it may compromise your privacy and security, make dangerous changes to your computer's settings without your knowledge and consent, or severely degrade your computer's performance and stability.

Found in my desktop PWI link
    progam files\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International\element\elementclient.exe

progam files\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International\launcher\Launcher.exe

progam files\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International\patcher\patcher.exe

my fiance and I are careful about where we go online and PWI files on both of our computers were the only ones affected.
    Where did you experience this issue? (If available in game, please note the coordinate numbers.):
    Which character(s), NPC(s), item(s), skill(s), or quest(s) were involved?:
    What exactly happened? Please be as detailed as possible.:
    What do you believe should have happened?:
    Attachment:

Solution
    Solved:
    (3/10/2011 6:49 PM PDT) It could be flagging the game as a false positive.
    Add exceptions for the game's file(s) into your antivirus software. You can do this by including the game folder in the exception list.

Example: Include the folder for C:\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International into the exception list for your antivirus software. Then restart your PC and try again.

You can also try temporarily disabling your antivirus software long enough to get the game installed and playing, then re-enabling your antivirus software.

Here are some links to some antivirus manufacturers' websites, to help you use their software if needed.
  • darthpanda16
    darthpanda16 Posts: 9,471 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Please note that we showed in a ticket how other antivirus vendors like Lavasoft also said it was possibly a false positive.

We also told you in a reply this morning in your ticket that one of your toolbars or plugins in your browser could be piggybacking files onto everything that you download and because the game is an executable, find the files prime for sneaking into your system with.

PWE would not be putting viruses and such into our games, other wise we'd have tens of millions of players that would be complaining and would stop playing our games. It is not a good business practice at all.

You SHOULD take great care and run multiple scans with multiple programs to see what is causing the problem.

It is up to you, the end user, to determine what is best for your system, it isn't up to us.

You can reply back in your ticket with a hijackthis log and let us try to help you more in depth.

We understand your frustration at such things, and gaming on PC, especially online, can cause all types of conflicts preventing you from playing a certain game. Please do not take it out on those who are trying to help you! b:surrender

Please also note that sharing private communications publicly between PWE employees and you violates the terms of service, and is a bannable offense. Please take this as your warning to please paraphrase your issues and problems with communications with PWE, not to copy and paste private communications. b:victory
    Do you need help learning about patching the game, installing it, changing antivirus/firewall settings, changing network settings, learn how to use a computer, keeping your PC maintained and more?
    Visit our BRAND NEW Knowledge Base & Support Website! - Tech Support Flowchart - Panda Caught on Camera