Interesting Discovery: Absorb Soul

Comments

• Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited March 2011

Oh cool. Let's see here. See if you can test it against the invincible buff for starters. Absolute Domain, Sparking, Feral Concentration, and see if anyone's willing to blow an IG powder (or a lesser version of it) for a test. Please and thank you. b:thanks

OK, today wont be possible, I'll try tomorrow and I'll keep a note :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • Derressh - Dreamweaver
    Derressh - Dreamweaver Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    OK, today wont be possible, I'll try tomorrow and I'll keep a note :)

Sounds good. Thanks again. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I main a 97 Psy named /\bra. The forums don't like his name.
    So I post on my Barb.
    [On possibly-permanent hiatus]
  • windblow64
    windblow64 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Sounds good. Thanks again. b:cute

Such a mature and pleasant conversation. I have been longing for this to appear in the harsh world of PWI forum.

Back to the topic, this skill also deals full damage Air -> Ground, which is quite interesting.

Another thing that would be worth to test, is whether Absorb Soul can keep target on stealthed sin. (bad english, sorry). Example : Mystic managed to get a lock-on to a Sin, pressed the shortcut key to initiate Absorb Soul channeling. Then, halfway through the channeling, the Sin dissapear. What would happen then ?

Let's see if this skill can break through stealth ...

Edit: Forgot to mention, my personal thanks for OP and Derressh for the effort.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    EDIT: Just tested it against Mrs. Zoologist and the Invisible lake beast in the center of Arch. Both of them resisted it and took no damage. :x

The screenshot is of the Mrs Zoologist mob. My friend was able to damage it at first but then was unsuccessful when she tried again with a different buff. I didn't catch the specifics but the screenshot shows the potential to hurt Damage Immune mobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • KittyTaco - Lost City
    KittyTaco - Lost City Posts: 295 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    windblow64 wrote: »
    Such a mature and pleasant conversation. I have been longing for this to appear in the harsh world of PWI forum.

Back to the topic, this skill also deals full damage Air -> Ground, which is quite interesting.

Another thing that would be worth to test, is whether Absorb Soul can keep target on stealthed sin. (bad english, sorry). Example : Mystic managed to get a lock-on to a Sin, pressed the shortcut key to initiate Absorb Soul channeling. Then, halfway through the channeling, the Sin dissapear. What would happen then ?

Every skill keeps channeling and casts if an assassin stealths half way through the channeling
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Derressh - Dreamweaver
    Derressh - Dreamweaver Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    The screenshot is of the Mrs Zoologist mob. My friend was able to damage it at first but then was unsuccessful when she tried again with a different buff. I didn't catch the specifics but the screenshot shows the potential to hurt Damage Immune mobs.

Interesting. I'll have to keep testing, then. But until I can actually damage one myself, I'll leave it off the list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I main a 97 Psy named /\bra. The forums don't like his name.
    So I post on my Barb.
    [On possibly-permanent hiatus]
  • Hthor - Raging Tide
    Hthor - Raging Tide Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Not entirely relevant, or irrelevant for that matter. Use Lysing on a Punishing Sting and it doesn't affect elemental immune mobs either, even though the Punishing Sting's normal attack does. Weird - no way that can be intended b:puzzled
  • RedsRose - Lost City
    RedsRose - Lost City Posts: 12,354 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Tested so far in OPEN Pk:

1 - Does NOT work through IG

2 - Does NOT break Archers shell. Same damage was done with it both on and off.

3 - Does NOT work through AD

4 - Does NOT work through spark

^ only thing I have tested thus far...but will continue to do so on my baby b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    RoidAbuse is awesome, only he would sell his sperm for gear!!

"Toughest monster? ..... RedsRose b:surrender" - Kantorek
    Where is my 1 v 1 Kan? b:mischievous
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    windblow64 wrote: »

It works for my wiz too, when I'm casting Pyrogram, Divine Pyrogram, or w/e it deals domages to the sin even if he's in stealth
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    Caterpie - Dreamweaver Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Tested so far in OPEN Pk:

1 - Does NOT work through IG

2 - Does NOT break Archers shell. Same damage was done with it both on and off.

3 - Does NOT work through AD

4 - Does NOT work through spark

^ only thing I have tested thus far...but will continue to do so on my baby b:surrender

Thanks a lot. :D

I'll add them to the list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heavy Cash Shopping is the difference between understanding simple game mechanics at level 30, or level 101.
  • Fenrina - Heavens Tear
    Fenrina - Heavens Tear Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    - Has almost 0 aggro-pulling capability (Probably the only time you'll aggro a mob with Absorb Soul is if it hasn't been hit yet)

I've noticed this too. Pretty nice since it lets my summon finish off the monster.

This might be an odd question, but can we use absorb soul to pull? Like how we use zeal's earthflame to pull. If it behaves weird on aggro, maybe it'd work for this. Sadly, I can't test it atm. :/

Edit: Finally able to test. It does not work well for pulling.
  • Mistook - Harshlands
    Mistook - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    This skill is resisted by Boss mobs in City of Abominations. (Not a phys resist boss. hit the Wood resist worm guy in the northeastern part of the city, with no effect. Cragglord lvl 1 was slapping wuth his single target skill for 17k though XD)

Loving this class btw
  • Mystflower - Dreamweaver
    Mystflower - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I use this skill often since I like to 1 shot mobs. But I find the long channeling time to be a drawback if there are a bunch of aggro mobs that re-spawn quickly.
  • Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    This skill is resisted by Boss mobs in City of Abominations. (Not a phys resist boss. hit the Wood resist worm guy in the northeastern part of the city, with no effect. Cragglord lvl 1 was slapping wuth his single target skill for 17k though XD)

Loving this class btw

Interesting. o.o I'll add a little bit about it under the element immune section

If someone could test the skill against bosses with immunities to different elements, we'd be able to determine whether or not it uses specifically wood element to determine if the skill does damage or not. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heavy Cash Shopping is the difference between understanding simple game mechanics at level 30, or level 101.
  • Pingfu - Archosaur
    Pingfu - Archosaur Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    - doesn't show in log, no atk levels -> dot damage
    - doesn't work on magic immun -> magic attack(probably wood element test it on mountainfinger in abadon pls)

so its a non damage wood(?) magic attack with a single tick physical(?) dot yay

sounds like pw gets screwed more and more...b:avoid

tested it against players anddd...hens.

The results:

PvE:
    lvl1 AS - lvl1 wood mastery 1038 dmg

lvl1 AS - lvl3 wood mastery 1038 dmg

conclusion:
    1. wood mastery does not increase AS dmg

PvP:
    lvl1 AS VS unbuffed bm74 dmg

lvl1 AS VS active demon belled BM 45 dmg

lvl1 AS VS demon belled BM 56 dmg

lvl1 AS VS TE 56 dmg

lvl1 AS VS nulify poision 56 dmg

lvl1 AS VS expel 56 dmg

lvl1 AS vs sutra power orb resist

lvl1 AS vs Kun Kun resist

Conclusion:
    1. absorb souls dmg is affected by targets physical deffence
    2. absorb soul is not affected by magic resistance
    2. Absorb soul will still deal dmg if target is immune to physical attacks
    3. absorb soul will not deal dmg if target gains immunity status
    4. again AS does not deal wood dmg
    5. Target must not be immune to magic dmg for AS to hit

too much time on my handsb:surrender
  • Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011

The damage dealt has been confirmed time and time again as physical damage. What we're trying to figure out is if the skill counts as a wood attack when determining whether or not the skill does damage at all.

And yes, yes you do have too much time on your hands. But what does that say about me? b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ivory - Harshlands
    Ivory - Harshlands Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    tested it against players anddd...hens.

The results:

PvE:
    lvl1 AS - lvl1 wood mastery 1038 dmg

lvl1 AS - lvl3 wood mastery 1038 dmg

conclusion:
    1. wood mastery does not increase AS dmg

PvP:
    lvl1 AS VS unbuffed bm74 dmg

lvl1 AS VS active demon belled BM 45 dmg

lvl1 AS VS demon belled BM 56 dmg

lvl1 AS VS TE 56 dmg

lvl1 AS VS nulify poision 56 dmg

lvl1 AS VS expel 56 dmg

lvl1 AS vs sutra power orb resist

lvl1 AS vs Kun Kun resist

Conclusion:
    1. absorb souls dmg is affected by targets physical deffence
    2. absorb soul is not affected by magic resistance
    2. Absorb soul will still deal dmg if target is immune to physical attacks
    3. absorb soul will not deal dmg if target gains immunity status
    5. Target must not be immune to magic dmg for AS to hit

too much time on my handsb:surrender

Let me add that for soul absorb to deal heavy damage it should be combine with nature vengeance some mobs and players will resist to get this buff spammed and then using soul absorb will deal a lot of damage
  • Vorken - Archosaur
    Vorken - Archosaur Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    If two mystics are attacking the same mob and mystic #1 casts nature vengeance and mystic #2 casts soul absorb, does the soul absorb do the extra damage?
  • Selvyn - Raging Tide
    Selvyn - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    If two mystics are attacking the same mob and mystic #1 casts nature vengeance and mystic #2 casts soul absorb, does the soul absorb do the extra damage?

Yes ^^.

me and my mystic friend do it in BHs all the time on mobs.
    Also Known as Wylo.
  • xxxdsmer
    xxxdsmer Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    well there is a venomancer petskill called pierce that does a flat amount of damage regardless of buffs (and maybe even armor defense values)... so perhaps this skill was meant to work in a similar fashion. it does, after all, have quite nerfed stats for players whereas its skill description looks totally painful to mobs/bosses.
    i'm pro all classes, and against none in particular..
    but the age old QQ about venos is just that. OLD.
    QQ'd about a nix lately? check out this thread n tell me who's "OP" lol..
    (copy and paste this to address bar):
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=102172
  • Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    xxxdsmer wrote: »
    well there is a venomancer petskill called pierce that does a flat amount of damage regardless of buffs (and maybe even armor defense values)... so perhaps this skill was meant to work in a similar fashion. it does, after all, have quite nerfed stats for players whereas its skill description looks totally painful to mobs/bosses.

Sounds like an interesting viewpoint on the skill.

I do know that Absorb Soul does take armor defense values into account when dealing damage, but other than that, they sound pretty similar.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KareszPsych - Heavens Tear
    KareszPsych - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Well, this skill is definitely very strange...

While killing the 49 culti bosses around FB51, I noticed that the nature's vengeance effect didn't actually tick, so basically I wasn't able to inflict double damage. I'm not sure if this is the case with other bosses as well?

I wanted to test my damage on Farng using spark + RG + nature's vengeance + absorb soul, and to my surprise, Farng just resisted the hit...

This bugs me a little bit, seeing how this is pretty much the only single target high damage spell (that the mystic can cast and not their summons) the mystic has, so the skill being this unreliable isn't very positive for me.
  • Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Well, this skill is definitely very strange...

While killing the 49 culti bosses around FB51, I noticed that the nature's vengeance effect didn't actually tick, so basically I wasn't able to inflict double damage. I'm not sure if this is the case with other bosses as well?

I wanted to test my damage on Farng using spark + RG + nature's vengeance + absorb soul, and to my surprise, Farng just resisted the hit...

This bugs me a little bit, seeing how this is pretty much the only single target high damage spell (that the mystic can cast and not their summons) the mystic has, so the skill being this unreliable isn't very positive for me.

Yeah, quite a few mobs (and most bosses) resist the nature's vengeance amp, which is bothersome.

And I've also noticed that seemingly random mobs resist the skill completely (some mobs when I was doing my fb51 for instance). I'll add that little tidbit to the list.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    Well, FB39 bosses do the same thing with Nature's vengeance. This pretty much renders absorb soul useless imo...if this is not how it was intended, then this has to be fixed asap.

This skill is only fully useful in squad runs when you are casting it on mobs with high hp - or bosses. Regular dungeon mobs just die too fast with a squad, for you to cast vengeance and absorb soul for full damage. And absorb soul's damage is mediocre at most without the nature's vengeance amp, in fact I might as well just keep spamming nature's vengeance for better damage.

Edit: I have to agree with your explanation in the opening post. I also think it probably has something to do with the mobs / bosses resisting the buff due to its slowing effect.
  • Solarnaru - Harshlands
    Solarnaru - Harshlands Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I also think it probably has something to do with the mobs / bosses resisting the buff due to its slowing effect.

NV- Nature's vengeance. AS-Absorb soul.

Another thing to test would be skills/pots that make players immune to movement debuffs, and see if the NV debuff will affect them and allow AS to do 2x dmg (even if it doesnt apply the slow effect as well).

My guess is no.

However given the current unpredictability of AS, it is worth testing in both duels/pvp.

One more thing, not really super important for daily gameplay but worth mentioning: TW.

Currently only a select few debuffs work on towers and crystals in TW, while others are useless(i.e. veno's soul degen works, yet amp doesnt.).

I'm curious whether NV will work here, and if it would count these things as mobs in regard to damage dealt by AS. If the debuff does work, maybe some 6 mystic tower-killing parties will be seen. :P

Anywho anyone willing to test this would be appreciated.
  • Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Another thing to test would be skills/pots that make players immune to movement debuffs, and see if the NV debuff will affect them and allow AS to do 2x dmg (even if it doesnt apply the slow effect as well).

Hmm. I'll get this tested and confirmed soon. :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Gwenwyn - Raging Tide
    Gwenwyn - Raging Tide Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    In PQ on my mystic I noticed that bit about aggro, I'd send in my pet, fire off Natures Vengeance which does around 3K, then Absorb Soul which does 14-15K, though its a longer channel, I should of pulled aggro but I did not. Unless the devil pet has some sort of +% modifier of damage to threat generation. As far as ignoring all defenses from other player skills and stuff, it could be just a bug, or it might be intended. As Absorb Soul cannot crit, and its damage to players is reduced compared to mobs. EG. "Does 1500 damage to players, does 3000 to monster" I think it said in tooltip. Otherwise if its "pierce" abilities are intended, the damage to players was reduced, and its not able to crit, otherwise with channeling gear, Absorb Soul would be one heck of an OP nuke if it could crit and if it hit for the same base damage as monsters and go through other players damage reduction skills as well. Everyone would be screaming on forums, NERF MYSTICS!!!

I noticed the immunity of elemental resistant mobs when using Absorb Soul back when I was level 40 doing the Coming of Age: Dexterity quest. Where you have to kill 5 Staunch Worms. Even though the spell is supposed to do physical damage, I got a big red RESIST where the damage should of been. Had to let my devil pet go at them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    Might have been mentioned before, but Undead Officers (timed Goshiki quest) also resist AS, but not the debuff. It worked fine on Undead Soldiers.

To be honest this is rather annoying now...I hope this gets fixed / changed.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Does AS wake someone up who has been slept? I bet not...

Really AS seems like a 0 damage wood attack that applies a physical DoT that only ticks once. This is how they implemented it to never crit since DoT damage also never crits and bypasses several reductions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Might have been mentioned before, but Undead Officers (timed Goshiki quest) also resist AS, but not the debuff. It worked fine on Undead Soldiers.

To be honest this is rather annoying now...I hope this gets fixed / changed.

Yeah, that got really annoying. Especially since that part is timed. QQ
    Does AS wake someone up who has been slept? I bet not...

Really AS seems like a 0 damage wood attack that applies a physical DoT that only ticks once. This is how they implemented it to never crit since DoT damage also never crits and bypasses several reductions.

o-o I'll have to test the sleep. And as for the description of the skill, I've heard the same from other people, and honestly, I'm starting to heavily agree with it. It goes and makes a lot of these glitches/effects make more sense. I'll add it to the OP until someone can prove 100% that it's not correct.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.