Wizzies role in FF

XEmpressX - Heavens Tear
XEmpressX - Heavens Tear Posts: 373 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Wizard
Hi there
starting to do more and more FF runs and just feeling a bit useless in there. Any other Wizzies feel the same?
for example, on a big pull, i find the only spell that comes close to being useful is Hailstorm to AOE the whole lot and make the kill a bit faster.
If i was to throw up DB (and use up a spark), if i do it too early, then i will aggro the whole pull = me dead. Likewise if i had 2 sparks and was to drop BT on them all, good chance of aggroing a lot of them with that also.
Just wondering what others use in this instance to be a useful member of the squad?

Only thing i have found is that i can put DB up in the big room when the pull is about 1/2 HP and hopefully i wont take aggy, but also means that im just standing there looking like im doing nothing. No-one has said anything, but just want to feel more useful in there.
Post edited by XEmpressX - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Your main role is AOE's. Do an ulti on group pulls or do dragons breath + expel. You aren't taken to the squad because of your damage on bosses -- that's what sins, archers, and BM's are for.

Some people also bring you to heal the cleric during Shocktrooper, or in case of a dumb cleric (Fragrance) or dumb barb to be backup heals with Morning Dew.

Nonetheless, it's up to you on how to time your AOE's so you don't get plastered. Your safest bet is with dragons breath + expel, or doing bids+WOP+hailstorm and expel if necessary, due to your level.

You'll begin wondering more when you reach 100 and find you have to rely more on friends to do Nirvana as random squads tend not to take wizards. Wizards are mostly relegated to PVP and TW which is why most people roll a wizard nowadays. Just know what your uses and limitations are, and have fun with what the class can do.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    pretty much what Janus said..

Few things you could also consider though, as you level up you should be able to one shot the mobs (big pull and the others), I can one shot them with just my own debuffs.. so it isn't much of a stretch for you to be able to one shot them with dragons soon. Make sure to keep your ultis leveled.. and I actually found MS to be very useful in frost.. because even if you don't one shot them, that 6 second stun is obviously a nice perk. I don't know what your genie looks like, but skills like holy path, frenzy, cloud eruption, expel could all really help you out in there :P Make sure to keep your ultis leveled and have a decent weapon so you are at least useful for killing the mobs through 9x frost, because you really will be useless at 10x when the int classes (bm/sin etc) will be one shotting the mobs as well as killing the bosses in seconds. If you were at least useful for a while, hopefully you'll have made some friends that'll take you along to get you to 100+ (they won't need you at all lol)
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Expel is ganna be your core genie skill in fros, along with Dragons Breath as your own skill.

Obviusly your job is to aoe the mobs, and if they kill you you'r useless. If you don't do **** to avoid being killed your just as useles.
    The tric is to kill and stay alive.

You could either:
    Wait till the mobs are halfway dead before set up dragon's breat, which is still kinda useles.
    The best way is to stand abit away from the group of mobs (max range you need to set up DB), and hold your mouse over expel button (or shortkey).
    Than, as soon as the mobs turn around and start moving towards you, you hit expel (if you wait even half a second, you'r still dead, cause lag can mean that it takes a full second for the invinciblilty to activate).

Once you get higher and expel lasts longer (higher lvl genie) and your dmg is higher, you can just set up DB and expel directly, and the mobs will be long dead by the time expel has ended.
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • XEmpressX - Heavens Tear
    XEmpressX - Heavens Tear Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Great, thanks for the tactics. Think i might remove second wind from my genie to replace with expel. Never use it now that im perma charmed.
    Weapon is Aquadash ATM, armour is Frost AA set.
    BIDS is lvl9, BT lvl7, MS lvl1 :(
    Dragons Breath lvl10. I remember someone saying not to max DB until higher levels in a guide somewhere and thought to myself, why? now i kinda get it, does massive damage and gets aggro really fast.
  • TrueDMG - Sanctuary
    TrueDMG - Sanctuary Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Maybee something to add, try to avoid using phonix cause melees will hate you for pushing thier target around.
    edited February 2011
    Great, thanks for the tactics. Think i might remove second wind from my genie to replace with expel. Never use it now that im perma charmed.
    Weapon is Aquadash ATM, armour is Frost AA set.
    BIDS is lvl9, BT lvl7, MS lvl1 :(
    Dragons Breath lvl10. I remember someone saying not to max DB until higher levels in a guide somewhere and thought to myself, why? now i kinda get it, does massive damage and gets aggro really fast.

Yea, it's deff not your gear that's the problem XD
    When those mobs all decide to hit you, you'r dead, not even a barb of your lvl can survive it. The only way is being invicible
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I had the same problem as you when I was your level, so let me see if I can help.

1- at your level, your squads probably don't kill mobs too fast, which means you need to make sure you time DB right. By rule of thumb, count to 3 after the mobs have been pulled and then start using DB. This will mean that when you do draw aggro, most mobs will be dead, and your chances of survival shoot up.

2- expel is your friend. Same rules as #1, except after casting DB, use expel as soon as it's done channeling. Even at your level all/most mobs will be dead before expel wears out.

3- when you're 89+ (which should be soon I hope b:pleased), I recommend that you get max chi for the last room. Just as the barb brings all the mobs for the final pull, you triple spark, cast a hailstorm into crowd of mobs to get 1 more spark, then use DB. A triple sparked DB will kill mobs insanely fast. Chained with expel and frenzy, the mobs won't even have time to kill/aggro onto you.
  • Nurfed_You - Harshlands
    Nurfed_You - Harshlands Posts: 754 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I always uesd Mountain Sieze + Frenzy > Hailstorm > WotP

Whichever mobs hailstorm procs on wont be moved by WotP and if you time the ulti right you will stun them anyways. With an aquadash tht combo should work nicely
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ssapintrayas - Dreamweaver
    Ssapintrayas - Dreamweaver Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Ehm...
    Maybe im beeing a Noob here but doesnt Expel silence you? So if you wanted to use it after DB to not get damage wouldnt it interrupt your DB because of the silence? Or do you need to use a "silence immunity" skill first to prevent the expel from silencing you?
    Wouldnt it be easyer to just use absolute domain then?
    b:surrender
  • Eden - Raging Tide
    Eden - Raging Tide Posts: 301 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Ehm...
    Maybe im beeing a Noob here but doesnt Expel silence you? So if you wanted to use it after DB to not get damage wouldnt it interrupt your DB because of the silence? Or do you need to use a "silence immunity" skill first to prevent the expel from silencing you?
    Wouldnt it be easyer to just use absolute domain then?
    b:surrender
    it would not interrupt dragon breath... certainly everybody would not be giving this advise for mage to use expel if it actually did

it would only silence u and prevent u from casting anything if u did not have dragon breath up already or any constant channeling spell

ep also use this skill to prevent from dying to phys mobs while sitting in bb for pulls.... likewise it does not drop bb
  • nemeritz
    nemeritz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    At lvl 80's u should use mountain seize 1st before you DB( I died 50% of the times in pulls 80-90) then at 90+ u can just DB after the BM stuns then when the stun icon is gone click domain asap most times there will be enough damage before domain wears out.
    edited March 2011
    nemeritz wrote: »
    At lvl 80's u should use mountain seize 1st before you DB( I died 50% of the times in pulls 80-90) then at 90+ u can just DB after the BM stuns then when the stun icon is gone click domain asap most times there will be enough damage before domain wears out.

Or instead you use expel like everyone suggested, which lasts 3 times as long

@Ssapintrayas:
    It's not strage that you thing it does interupt, as our own FoW silences and interupts (thus not hard to put 1 and 1 tougether)
    However the interupt part of FoW is a whole effect on it's own, seal itself ONLY prevents you from taking any new actions, it will not interupt you (also there is no anti seal skil, that's the beauty of FoW. you can't possibly resit it)

You may be confused with stun effects. However stun (anti movement skills) are a different catogory than seal (which is why anti stun doesn't prevent being sealed, which is why it's aweseme against BM's and stuns)
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    stand behind and look pretty while seeker solo the pulls

...sorry I had to say that b:surrender
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited March 2011
    Or instead you use expel like everyone suggested, which lasts 3 times as long

@Ssapintrayas:
    It's not strage that you thing it does interupt, as our own FoW silences and interupts (thus not hard to put 1 and 1 tougether)
    However the interupt part of FoW is a whole effect on it's own, seal itself ONLY prevents you from taking any new actions, it will not interupt you (also there is no anti seal skil, that's the beauty of FoW. you can't possibly resit it)

You may be confused with stun effects. However stun (anti movement skills) are a different catogory than seal (which is why anti stun doesn't prevent being sealed, which is why it's aweseme against BM's and stuns)

genie skill will surge resists seal. Lawbreaker has a chance to remove seal. And immune such as domain/ironguard will resist seal. Although yes.. seal goes right through the anti stun skills that everyone uses :P
    edited March 2011
    genie skill will surge resists seal. Lawbreaker has a chance to remove seal. And immune such as domain/ironguard will resist seal. Although yes.. seal goes right through the anti stun skills that everyone uses :P

Right forgot about those XD (just like almost everyone else probably)
  • Sint - Harshlands
    Sint - Harshlands Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    that's the beauty of FoW.

indeed it is.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    edited March 2011

haha ya, although I can tell you that someone with an anti seal genie skill is really scary. Calvin was the first one that I fought that really used it (lawbreaker).. and it really changes the way you have to play lol. I have a number of friends that relatively recently either got an anti seal genie skill or are now planning on it. I don't mind as long as they are on my side b:chuckle
This discussion has been closed.