Is vit worth it?

theinsectking
theinsectking Posts: 3 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Mystic
Im currently at lvl 39 and have gone full mag (9mag, 1 str per 2 lvls) to now, though i have 40 stat points spare because, well i dont know whats best to do with them?

My attacks and heals seem more than adequate but will the game get harder soon so ill need the extra magic? On the other hand...I find that when i do get hit, it hurts! Alot! So im wondering how many people have bothered with vit and if it does make that much difference considering the low pdef we have? Am i best staying pure mag? and if i do would pdef or hp shards be best?

Thanks in advance for any and all help :)
Post edited by theinsectking on

Comments

• rgog
    rgog Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I've been doing 2 vit 8 magic and str just as needed for arcane equip. I think high magic will give you the most powerful build at high levels but I find you do need a bit of vit just to take some poison and a few hits. I will be focusing on some hp gear and shards down-the-road
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    the more mag you have, the quicker your MP bar refills after you deplete it, as well as you having more MP in that bar to begin with. and mystics on these forums all seem to complain about using up their mana too quickly, so i'd guess a pure mag build would be to their benefit.

vit might be worth it if you take damage often. how much dying are you doing? if it's "too much" (whatever that means to you) then vit might be useful; if not, then i'd say not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • rgog
    rgog Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    the more mag you have, the quicker your MP bar refills after you deplete it

it regens faster?
  • kreap
    kreap Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    For the Vit build it'd be best to keep most skills 1 or 2 lower levels than they should be(pace them slowly even if they have to be maxed and even if you have tons for spr), this helps your skills cost to adapt with the lower mp pool. unless you are willing to spend on charms and pots which IMO ruins the idea of why some people choose this build, it's cheaper than Mag(no need for refines/easy going gold on your skills).

So if you did already level your skills to the max they can, just go pure mag.

If you're a "casual gamer" Vit build is for you, if you're a "heavy gamer" go full mag with little to worry about!
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    rgog wrote: »
    it regens faster?

yes .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Vixter - Harshlands
    Vixter - Harshlands Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    yep. true that mag makes u regen faster. but i have been putting points to health, and have noticed myself not dieing as quickly as a lot of other people ive been playing with (like in BH). i wont tell u VIT doesnt help, even if its only 10 health, i love my VIT and im going to continue to put points into VIT until its at least 100 points base.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    vixter (101 Heavy Veno) ~ TT farmer
    Peachie (102 Mystic) ~ Main character
  • theinsectking
    edited March 2011
    Still dont know what to do lol, guess il just keep all points i get spare until i need them because a) i cant heal or attack well enough or b) i get killed in 1 or 2 shots. Then ill know where i need them :)
  • Yhumy - Dreamweaver
    Yhumy - Dreamweaver Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I wasn't sure about vit at first as well, then I started remembering certain bosses with aoes and did some testing for stats. According to one of the other threads, your summon's hp is based off your hp.

Anyways, vit seems useful for the future to avoid getting aoe ganked, otherwise, go glass cannon. But remember, we really dont have that many non pet related skills so that extra magic isn't as useful as it sounds.
  • Ephemera - Raging Tide
    Ephemera - Raging Tide Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I plan on just getting more hp through shards, and when I'm higher level, refines. Mystics go through mana so fast, it doesn't really seem worth it to put points into vit. Heals will be worse, mana will run out faster, and regen slower. I can always add points into vit later in the game if it seems an absolute must, but considering how much easier it is to build hp than it is to build mag/matk, I'll likely stay pure mag.
  • Derressh - Dreamweaver
    Derressh - Dreamweaver Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I wasn't sure about vit at first as well, then I started remembering certain bosses with aoes and did some testing for stats. According to one of the other threads, your summon's hp is based off your hp.

Anyways, vit seems useful for the future to avoid getting aoe ganked, otherwise, go glass cannon. But remember, we really dont have that many non pet related skills so that extra magic isn't as useful as it sounds.

The extra magic helps your pet do more damage, which helps with our "lack of skills"
    The extra magic also helps us do more damage with out "lack of skills"

Personally I don't see any reason to put vit in at all on a mystic. There's 2 choices, vit or mag.

Vit: You can take a little bit more damage, but you missed out on some magic points so it might take you 1 or 2 more hits to kill off each mob, meaning they probably get to hit you.

Mag: You can't take quite as much damage as a vit build, but you have all spare points in magic, so you should kill stuff before it hits you anyway. And even if it does hit you, your extra magic points help increase the amount of HP your Break in the Clouds heals.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I main a 97 Psy named /\bra. The forums don't like his name.
    So I post on my Barb.
    [On possibly-permanent hiatus]
  • Yhumy - Dreamweaver
    Yhumy - Dreamweaver Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Pet uses vit as well, also not everyone can afford big shards or high lvl refines.

I understand the viewpoint of both arguments but the biggest problem ppl have is mp.

It takes 25 mag to gain 1pip of regen while there are items and gear that flat out give energy regen.

Pet tanking gets easier as well since its obvious our pets suck compared to hercs but we are still a nice hp devil would be interesting off tank.
  • Ivory - Harshlands
    Ivory - Harshlands Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    well I put 15 points on vit to resist a little more also having a tome helps a lot not to mention the normal wing trophy and lunar wing trophy.... Mystics need a lot of mag so putting high defense shards like DoD and GARNET gems are the best, if u need more vit refine at least to +5 but do it on lvl 90 dont waste money on doing it low lvls.... First try to reach lvl 90 then refine shard and enjoy...
  • Killercows - Sanctuary
    Killercows - Sanctuary Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    To me it is kinda a conundrum. The more vit you have the more vit you will need as the weaker attacks means you risk getting hit more.

I would go pure magic until level 80 or so where you can start reevaluate.
  • Daltia - Sanctuary
    Daltia - Sanctuary Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    given the sheer amount of mana that the Mystic class burns through, coupled with the fact that a smart mystic never has to take a hit from a normal monster, there isn't much reason to go for any build other than a pure magic. in essence, build it like a pure wizzy from the start: 1 str, 9 mag every two levels, use Pdef based ornaments, and shard HP/Pdef with refines.

this gives you a large mana pool, high MP regen, along with decent PDef and HP (in later levels as you invest more in gear). as a pure you'll save money on pots/charms without sacrificing any damage/heal ability.

It all comes down to what you enjoy. there are LA/Vit builds that work perfectly well for other magic classes. but for every build decision, there is a sacrifice that must be made in other areas....as our pets can take our place in a "fist fight" and we can self-rez survivability isn't a huge issue for this class.
  • Mistook - Harshlands
    Mistook - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I have a 102 Cleric that benefits greatly by having a VIT/MAG build, and I recommend this to anyone. Durability is necessary for AA, and I do not think pure magic to be very reliable in PvP or PvE. You are bound to be hit, and you dont want to drop in 2 or 3 hits. I am a big promoter of the VIT/MAG over pure magic.

Also, seeing as Mystics have a self phys resist buff similiar to Wizards, would you shard for HP and rely on buff for added phys resist? I feel that a balance between HP and Phys Resist shards would be most beneficial too, and maybe Def Lvl shards at higher grade gear.
  • Daltia - Sanctuary
    Daltia - Sanctuary Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    well, a mystic's mana cost is about 2-3x what a cleric's is on similar skills, the larger manapool and higher mana regen would certainly be a large boon to the mystic class.

I know several clerics that go LA/Vit builds and do it successfully in high levels, but personally I think varying away from a pure build robs some classes of certain ability.

as far as sharding, it definitely would be a mix of Pdef and HP, however, I tend to lean more towards Pdef, because you can always get some HP from refining your gear.
  • necrowind
    necrowind Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    well, idk abt u guys, but i does just "go with the flow" and right now im 58 and i have like 40 vit 220 something mag and 34 str and i rarely use my pet, i coulda even beat qingzi, but i ran out of pots >.>, and with no pet. So, even if u do regain mp faster and stuff, if ur rly dependant on ur pet, if it dies, ur dead. even if u can summon ur pet again, its does cost some mana, and its hp bar would only be at half, plus, if the mobs hp is down by a decent amount, it'll keep followin u for a while, and if u dont have no mp ur dead, atleast with some vit u can take more hits
  • Mistook - Harshlands
    Mistook - Harshlands Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Maybe the fact that we do have a p def increasinf skill implies that sonr Mystic and not pet tanking should be expected. Pull out Salvation and have her shield you. XD
  • Ephemera - Raging Tide
    Ephemera - Raging Tide Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    At higher levels, I know that more hp is needed, but honestly I think it's better to get it from shards/refines. You can't really compare a cleric build to a mystic and say that because clerics should be built this way, mystics should too, because they're not the same. Mystics have much higher mana costs, and rely much more on large mp pools/high regen. Not only that, our pets improve with our stats, so higher mag = more pet mp, and higher pet patk. If the resurrect skill takes half my mp right now, I wouldn't want to see how much worse it'd be if I wasn't a pure mag mystic.

@ Necrowind - The mystic tank summon isn't as strong as a Glacial, from what I've seen, and doesn't hold aggro as well, either. Certain bosses, a mystic can tank easily, without any pet at all, whereas the pets themselves would be torn to shreds by them. We may have summons, but we're not completely reliant on them like a veno is with their pets, since we can also heal ourselves, and have a nice pdef/wood/water res buff. I've soloed several bosses my level, and I'm strictly pure mag.
  • Makseleren - Heavens Tear
    Makseleren - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I went 3 vit 1 str 6 mag every 2 lvls but only until I get good gear. Then I'll restat to full mag. I don't regret it though. I still 2-3 shop mobs and getting ganked by them isn't a problem.
  • Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    Caterpie - Dreamweaver Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I honestly don't see the point in a vit build.

I'm a pure magic build with roughly 1.4k hp and mobs almost never hit me for more than 200 at a time (if I ever get hit in the first place). So I really don't see where all this "OMFGWTFBBQ joo will die relly fast if you dn't has vit!" comes from. Considering 1 BitC (...wow...that acronym could have ended up badly...) heals me about half my HP, I never find myself close to dying.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heavy Cash Shopping is the difference between understanding simple game mechanics at level 30, or level 101.
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I guess it's because the pet / summon user vit build.
    Many venomancer before feel like vit build is needed for their survivability.
    Because mystic is also using summons that behave like pets, people might think the same build apply.

And forget mystic has skill to " heal when get hit " and " auto revive " . . . (b:chuckle)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Caterpie - Dreamweaver
    Caterpie - Dreamweaver Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I guess it's because the pet / summon user vit build.
    Many venomancer before feel like vit build is needed for their survivability.
    Because mystic is also using summons that behave like pets, people might think the same build apply.

And forget mystic has skill to " heal when get hit " and " auto revive " . . . (b:chuckle)

Yes, but a vit build works better on a veno than any of the other magic classes.

Venos get much more HP/vit, and their skills have a relatively low % weapon damage modifier overall, so putting their extra points into vit (or even dex for LA or str/dex for HA) works out better for them in comparison.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Heavy Cash Shopping is the difference between understanding simple game mechanics at level 30, or level 101.
  • theinsectking
    edited March 2011
    I bit the bullet and went full mag, my spare 40 attribute points are now gone lol.

I suppose it does make more sense given the insane mp usage, and i guess i can always change it later if it isnt working.

Thanks for everyones perspective.
  • AegisGray - Heavens Tear
    AegisGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    *shrugs* Personally I've always liked a bit of Vit. I'm on my feet a bit longer then most and it usually means the difference between my surviving (what then becomes) a near party wipe.

Really its whatever you find works best for you. You can always adjust it later if you feel you want to go another route.
    Finding Solutions to many of your problems starts by looking in the mirror and accepting a small measure of responsibility