Game crashes on startup

Options
Seinaru - Dreamweaver
Seinaru - Dreamweaver Posts: 31 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Support Desk
HUGE UPDATE: OFFICIAL FIX!
See http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=12478201&postcount=5 for the official fix!!!

After the Genesis patch, when I start the game one of the new genesis loading pics comes up, it loads 99% of the way but right before it would normally take me to the login screen the game just crashes and it gives me the error "elementclient.exe has stopped working."

I tried reinstalling, manual patch, verifying, EVERYTHING, and nothing's worked. I'm on Vista with onboard video and sound cards, but that's never been a problem for me. And yes my directx is up to date.
UPDATE -- POSSIBLE FIXES

Many people have posted things that worked for them to fix it. It seems like some things work only for certain people... you can give them a shot and try them out yourself.

*Put game into windowed mode and optimize graphics. - Worked for axl900
*Clean reinstall Windows - Worked for HimeJunsei
*Upgrade Windows (this is basically reinstalling but you get to keep everything installed) - Worked for Dratsu (upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7)
*Update video codec - Worked for Raclette (updated from Satsuki to K-lite full pack)
*Press Esc after the loading image - Worked for caritoangel
*Follow instructions in this thread - Worked for Pro_Lion
*Update Internet Explorer - Worked for netoperusnovo (updated to IE8)

*Install Virtual PC and run PW on that - Suggested by Seinaru. Not tested yet, but theoretically if reinstalling / upgrading Windows fixes it, running it on Virtual PC should work too, without even affecting your OS.

If you have / had this problem and fix / fixed it, post here saying how and I'll add it to the list of possible fixes!
Post edited by Seinaru - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• darkdreams2012
    darkdreams2012 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Hi, have same problem but on Windows XP.
    At startup try to go get new update and freezes, the appears message to send error to Microsoft. If I disconnect internet dosent happens.
    I try to patch manually, but game when try to check if is updated, freezes again.
    Uninstall and install again, press in patches, and already appears the new design from genesis, but freezes again in checking the version. I am Working with Wireless, new laptop, with XP, chrome and IE installed and the game, nothing else..,

will try by Ethernet cable, in 1 hour since I am Downloading again the game, and will change post to see if is
    wireless card the problem.

Ok, Since I download, and Install again, but with wirelless off, and Ethernet cable direct to Router, the game advance a litlle more... it pass the test of server, verify all, and begins the start of the game.
    when game loads it appears a loading Bar (in the botton appears a bar increading) it begins to increase and stop on last inch!!! dosent start the game HELP!!!!
  • SamKemmer - Dreamweaver
    SamKemmer - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options

UPDATE -- POSSIBLE FIXES

I did what was suggested by Seinaru (less a clean install) and all what was sugested by the support and nothing fixed my problem... I can load the game to the "selection char window", where no one of my chars appear... when I try to start one of them the game crashes!!! More than a week without play, what you guys are doing to solve the problem???
    SamKemmer - Assassin.
  • Seinaru - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Well, I sent a ticket. Guess there's not much else to do but wait for a response.
  • Death_Scar - Raging Tide
    Death_Scar - Raging Tide Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Verified your update to see if you misses any updates XD
  • mylii
    mylii Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i have the same problem and all files is already verifyed , problem still here
  • stinks
    stinks Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    GM Help same problem here sending ticket
  • Seinaru - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I got this reply from the ticket I sent. (I'm really quite surprised that they responded in less than 3 hours...)
    Have you tried the Verify option in the front end (beginning game launcher - smaller menu) of the game?

1) First, shut down your PC and wait a few minutes. Then restart your PC.

2) Start the game, click on the Verify button on the game launcher menu, click on Yes, and let the game verify that your game client's files match the server-side versions of the files. It will also redownload any files that don't match.

3) This will take some time. Please be patient.

4) After this process is done, try to get into the game again and see if the same issue(s) occur.

If this does not help, you may need to uninstall, and then re-install and freshly patch the game.

At your own risk, you can also try disabling/turning off your antivirus/firewall software before starting the game launcher and before running Verify. Once Verify has finished, and you can login and play the game, then turn your AV software back on.
    I already tried verifying but I'll try it now without antivirus / firewall...

EDIT: Didn't work. So the problem isn't antivirus / firewall...
  • screwthisname
    screwthisname Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    So tried all the basic stuff, AV, Firewalls, reinstalling, reinstalling yet again and so on. If anyone else is having this problem could they be a little more specific on their system specs. I believe it might be some sort of hardware/driver issue due to the new graphics added to the game (This was an issue in a game I previously played that just needed a driver updated to the games standards. This issue was also fixed within a week of release)

HP Pavilion
    Nvidia 7150M GeForce /NForce 630M
    Driver Version 7.15.11.7967
    AMD Turion 64 X2 2.1 GHz Mobile TI 62
    4GB DDR 2
    Currently Running Windows 7 Ultimate
  • icau
    icau Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'm having to same problem. Just after the first Genesis loading screen the game shuts down and I'm prompted to report the error. I'm certain that this will be taken care of soon, but I am curious as to what is causing it..
  • axl900
    axl900 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i was having the same problem, and i fixed it somehow im not sure if this will work, but i put it into windowed mode, and optimized graphics and it worked. dont know if it will help anyone but its all i changed to make it work for me.
  • Seinaru - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    axl900 wrote: »
    i was having the same problem, and i fixed it somehow im not sure if this will work, but i put it into windowed mode, and optimized graphics and it worked. dont know if it will help anyone but its all i changed to make it work for me.
    I've tried that too to no avail b:surrender
    So tried all the basic stuff, AV, Firewalls, reinstalling, reinstalling yet again and so on. If anyone else is having this problem could they be a little more specific on their system specs. I believe it might be some sort of hardware/driver issue due to the new graphics added to the game (This was an issue in a game I previously played that just needed a driver updated to the games standards. This issue was also fixed within a week of release)

HP Pavilion
    Nvidia 7150M GeForce /NForce 630M
    Driver Version 7.15.11.7967
    AMD Turion 64 X2 2.1 GHz Mobile TI 62
    4GB DDR 2
    Currently Running Windows 7 Ultimate
    Dell Inspiron 518
    Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, version 7.15.10.1472 (crappy onboard)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 @ 2.66 GHz 2.67 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Running Windows Vista 64-bit

I'm seeing few similarities in our computers lol...

My AV is Microsoft Security Essentials
    And um, I use xfire. But I highly doubt that would be causing a problem.
  • imanatsu
    imanatsu Posts: 9
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I have the same problem. starts, gets to the first loading screen before the login screen, and crashes with the following error(something like this):
    ElementClient.exe-error
    The instruction on "0x30b5a9e0" referenced to the memory on "0x00000000". The memory could not be read.
    Click ok to terminate the program.

Sorry, but i had to translate from my language "portuguese". Well, i really wanna play and dunno what to do. Reinstalled, tried both manual and auto updates. disabled anti virus, changed graphcis options, etc.
    I really hope they'll have a fix by this weekend cos im gonna have 3 days of holiday, and wanna spend some time on the new PWI Genesisb:cry
  • madragi
    madragi Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    After the patch, when I start the game one of the new genesis loading pics comes up, but right before it would normally take me to the login screen the game just crashes and it gives me the error "elementclient.exe has stopped working."

I tried reinstalling and manual patch, neither worked. I'm on Vista with onboard video and sound cards, but that's never been a problem for me. And yes my directx is up to date.
    I'm having the same problem. I tried to windowed and full screen mode as well. After start the loading picture appears, the cursor changed and when the loading line is full the game crashes and I get a ReportBugs window where I can fill my user name, role name, e-mail and description.
    I don't know who made the ReportBugs program cause there is no any information about it. :(
    I have:
    Time of this report: 3/3/2011, 17:39:34
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) SP 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 11/06/03 17:38:10 Ver: 08.00.09
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 406MB used, 3490MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Display Tab 1: No problems found. DirectDraw test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 7 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 8 test results: All tests were successful. Direct3D 9 test results: All tests were successful.

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 6200
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0221&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 512.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 4/3/2010 21:55:32, 10232128 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4161-11CF-A145-0B2000C2CB35}
    Vendor ID: 0x10DE
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Enabled
    DDraw Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D7 Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D8 Test Result: All tests were successful.
    D3D9 Test Result: All tests were successful.
  • SickKiller - Dreamweaver
    SickKiller - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I get the same problem, now after 5 delete and re installs of the game. I verify, changed all settings or resolution. I immediately get an error report, shown belowb:angry

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m493/ImortalSolider/

I have updated all drivers, programs on my comp, any ideas?

I have a Dell Inspiron M5010
    Amd Athlon II P320 Dual-core Processor 2.10 GHz
    3 GB on board
    ATI Mobility Raedon HD 4250 with advanced 3D business, gaming and graphics
    Currently running Windows Professional (64-bit)
  • SamKemmer - Dreamweaver
    SamKemmer - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Where is the solution PWI? Are 2 day passed and no one answer HOW we can back to play....
    SamKemmer - Assassin.
  • Seinaru - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Well, the way I see it, there are so many bugs in this patch that they have to have an emergency bug fix patch pretty soon...

It seriously sucks that we're all missing out on 2x b:cry
  • lissajane
    lissajane Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i have similar problem...my game started but i tried to load a mystic and game crashes as soon as i try to start. Tried with a seeker and it works..but not a mystic.

even worse though ..i fly my existing veno to new area..and same thing happens!!! she felew deep into new area but when she gets to starting area the game crashed, AND I CAN'T GET BACK IN on this character.

This SUX so bad .....
  • ossuminna
    ossuminna Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. The loading screen and the loading bar fills up......and then it freezes. I can't even get to the login screen. T^T I thought the problem might be because I'm using a mac, but it seems that even windows users are having issues. I hope they patch soon!
  • Seinaru - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Could it be because of the new font? Maybe we don't have the font installed? What is the new font anyways?
  • imanatsu
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Could it be because of the new font? Maybe we don't have the font installed? What is the new font anyways?

i dont think it has anything to do with the font cos i've heard its changeable. the onnly thing i've heard from the changes done to the font is the size, its bigger i guess.. so i dont think its from there. Guys, this is probably a code problem, cos of the new expansion. lets see, many people are having problems, many of them ARE the same problems, and it all happened cos of the Genesis update. If i recall correctly, this also happened for the Tideborn release. I guess we have to wait for a fix patch update.. shouldn't take to long.. BU I WANNA PLAY b:sadb:angry
  • Death_Scar - Raging Tide
    Death_Scar - Raging Tide Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    >.> I've talk to the GM but no help. I even Live Chat with a GM and they was also no help. Please fix this soon QQ I want to see my faction Guildbase
  • lissajane
    lissajane Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    In answer to my own problem a few posts back...i have fixed it so i'll tell you what i did.

i changed to windowed mode then zeroed all graphical effects. i was able to play my veno and so flew her northwards out of the area.

While still in windowed mode and graphics off i then tried to load a mystic ...and it worked!!

Curious, i then went to graphics again and turned each effect on one at a time to see if game crashed.
    Amazingly it didnt..so i am now playing mystic at my usual high graphix settings.

It seems game does not like the shock of new area ... it has to get used to it gradually LOLZ

i hope this may help someone with same problem i had :)
  • darkdreams2012
    darkdreams2012 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    as I posted before, I stop using wireless and use with ethernet cable, and I pass the update, start the loading screen (before the choose of player) and the loading bar starts to fills up but it stop on last millimeter...

I WANT TO PLAY AND TEST NEW RACE!!! PLEASE WE NEED HELP!!b:cryb:cry
  • h4wk3
    h4wk3 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Ok check this i had issue with update like all the cagillion ppl have, if you interchange patch server 1 then 2 it seems to get through some time outs and server problems, so thats the way i updated, so im happy, i logon , make a mystic and seeker, still happy, got them both to lvl 7, and then i get prompted to go to the tele platform to go to Telus city so im still happy, i get a load screen all is well, the out of no where game crashes with some latin characters and Error. So i restart pc, get back in pwi, login, double click on seeker and it crashes if i choose that alt my main and other alts that are in the same old areas are ok,any tips or opinions
  • Ereis - Raging Tide
    Ereis - Raging Tide Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    My game was working just fine up until today, I had already created and played a mystic with no problems with the game, now suddenly the game crashes almost as soon I click start. Tried windowing it and lowing all the graphics but it didn't do any good u_u
  • Seinaru - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Wow this is stupid. The game works on the old computer in the storage room but not on my new one. Guess I'll live in the storage room till it's fixed >.>
  • Pness - Raging Tide
    Pness - Raging Tide Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    i posted a new thread becasue i dint knwo this one existed but im having the same problem my game crashes at teh frist loading screen when its almost done the screen flickers a minutes and then it forces my computer to reboot ive also noticed theres no gm reply on this thread at all -.- youd think with as much as ive spent and eveyone else as well they have some damned support for this game >.<
  • Seinaru - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Since it works on one of my computers I tried copy+pasting the files on the working one to the one that doesn't work, but that didn't fix it b:surrender

This makes me think that it's a hardware problem... does anyone else having this problem also have a crappy video card? Mine's 128mb...
  • imanatsu
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Since it works on one of my computers I tried copy+pasting the files on the working one to the one that doesn't work, but that didn't fix it b:surrender

This makes me think that it's a hardware problem... does anyone else having this problem also have a crappy video card? Mine's 128mb...

i also have a crappy vid card, but its not a hardware problem, im sure of it. it's probably a code problem from the expansion. If we were able to play before, we have to be able to play now, since they didnt even update the graphics, maybe they just fixed minor graphic glitches, nothing else. So it has to be a code problem. I've submitted a ticket 2 days ago and it's now at "work in progress status", PM'd a GM, i'll be waiting for his response. We'll have to wait, they should be working on a fix as we speak(i hope b:shockedb:shutup)

I WANNA PLAY!! COME ON PWI!! SAVE US!
  • Seinaru - Dreamweaver
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I'm just thinking that it might be a graphics card problem because the new login screen seems to use a lot of resources. It has a bunch of dancing green midgets (btw, wtf?). Out of the two computers I have the one that can run it is the one that has a decent graphics card (yet everything else sucks on it), yet the login screen is pretty laggy on it.

But idk, I'm just speculating in case a GM comes in the thread and gets an epiphany from reading the speculations, lol