Let's take this one slow.

Miugre - Heavens Tear
Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
So. What's everyone going to do first when we finish the painfully-massive download?

I'd like you to think about something while you're watching that bar move. I'd like you to take a moment and compare this game, as it was when you joined it, with the game in its current state. Ask yourself, "how much has changed?" This is especially true of you stubborn few who, like myself, have been hanging on since 2008 and have witnessed firsthand all the hits our once-beautiful game has taken.

Think back to when you made your first character (for those of you who played a version before PWI, think in terms of THAT version). What was your first day or two in-game like? Maybe you remember doing your starter quests, figuring out the control system and your skills. Maybe you remember seeing someone in your capital city and wondering what their weapon is. Maybe you remember the novelty of seeing snow in Timberfield, or looking off the edge of the huge cliff near Dreaming Stronghold. Maybe you remember how useless you felt in your fb19, and then forgiving that experience when you realized that, hey, you've got a glowing weapon now. Maybe you remember taking to the air for the first time.

Or, maybe you remember when "the grind" first became tedious for you. I guess maybe everyone becomes impatient at different times. Those of us who play a lot of MMORPGs probably hit that threshold before the rest of us - to them, the first whiff of grinding is a sign of a downward spiral. For me, PWI was my first fully-featured MMO (I've played similar games, but not of this style). And yeah, the quests and the crafting and the instances were fun and all, but I got much more enjoyment out of just exploring the map, looking at what visual detail the devs could pack into its nooks and crannies (even if some areas are far more boring).

My point in all this is, I want you to ask yourself something. Are you going to take the time to stop and smell the proverbial roses? Or are you going to rush your new character to 100 in a month and call him/her "complete" when you buy them R8 gear?

Yes, obviously everyone has their own definition of fun - and maybe buying hundreds of hypers only to spend $70 on R8 and pat yourself on the back for a character "well done" is yours. Frankly, I don't see it. What is there to do in endgame? What do you do when you have your rank or aps gear? Farm Nirvana? For what, money? What do you use the money for? Do you try to grind to 105 (lol)? There's a consensus that there's nothing to do PVE-wise in endgame.

So I suppose for some of you, PVP has become your only way to alleviate the boredom. And on the newer servers, perhaps it isn't all bad yet. But I've played on one of the starter servers since 2008, and on my server it's clear that PK is functionally dead. Dueling and PK "parties" outside of populated areas (e.g. west outskirts of arch) are really the only surviving methods, outside of TW. No one roams the map in PK mode (but then again, no one roams the map at all anymore).

I've heard many people in top facs on my server say that they love a good fight... and so TW is their outlet. But what's a "good fight" anymore? The TW map was owned by one, and only one, faction on my server. There's no intrigue in TW anymore, and even those top facs know it. And then there are the people who cause trouble for others when there's no reason to warrant it. I can't tell you how much I love standing in room 32 of the Cube, minding my own business, and five seconds later having been sent to room 1 by a 5aps sin, with gear that hopelessly outclasses my own. I never retaliate to these people. I don't give them the pleasure. And yet, evidently, there are people who consider this a "good fight." o.O

Occasionally, I talk to them. A few try to defend their actions or say I should've fought back, as if my non-rank, non-int, +3'd behind had any chance at all. But more often, they're glad to hear the people they kill talk back, as if they'd been trolled. Apparently, any attention is good attention, and any response indicates a successful troll. o.O

Is this really what we've come to? These kinds of people should have quit the game a long time ago. It's clear that they no longer find fun in it. And in the meantime, they watch PWE make trainwreck after trainwreck of bad decisions, slowly becoming more and more cynical. The result is this kind of "troll culture" we see here today. Virtually none of that existed when Rising Tide came out.

Oh trust me, I've got a lot to say about PWE's management. But most of it is nothing that you guys haven't said a million times. And you have to hand it to the chinese devs - they know how to build a beautiful and immersive game world. Remember when Rising Tide came out? Sure, the Tideborn areas were a major thematic shift, but they were beautiful in their own right. From what we've seen, it's clear that Genesis will deliver this same stunning quality.

So let me just leave you with this idea: take this one slow. Give yourself time to really drink in the new content before you make gear builds and stock up on hypers. Trust me, some no-lifer is gonna reach full r9 gear with +10 before you do. Why waste your time with that arms race? Reconnect with what's good about this game, instead of embracing what's bad about it. Who knows - this may be the last chance you get to do so.

But for those of you who insist on being "the best" and "the fastest" at any cost... I'll have one of my alts down there selling Scarlet Fruits at ridiculous prices. Buy them off me, won't you? ;]

See you in game. :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
Post edited by Miugre - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• XXKimikoXx - Heavens Tear
    XXKimikoXx - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,569 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I already know what im going to do, make a mystic check out a bit of the expansion then go to bedb:laugh
    Thanks for the siggy Dorset
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Once upon a time I had a dirty little secret but then I took it to the dry cleanersb:laugh

-Currently residing in the real world-
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I'll log in and ride my big black horse through the Earthguard cities and hopefully trample everyone in my way. b:chuckle
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • YingXiaolong - Raging Tide
    YingXiaolong - Raging Tide Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I'm not competitive, and even if I were, I'd be too poor IRL to be competitive. So yea, I'll just roll a mystic and try to have some f2p fun. b:chuckle

And occasionally QQ. Because that's what wizzies do best. b:laugh
  • Daialura - Heavens Tear
    Daialura - Heavens Tear Posts: 134 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I think after finishing the download, I'll post this reply. b:chuckle Then wait till maintenance is over and immediately log in and check out the new areas. b:victory

http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1009252
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And still too squishy...
  • Meatbunz - Archosaur
    Meatbunz - Archosaur Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    +1 to everything you said.

Takes the fun out of the game when you can reach end-game status < 1 month with a r8/r9 gear +10

Gotta gives props to PWI tho, they sure know how to make a buck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Escorian - Dreamweaver
    Escorian - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    what do you mean watch the bar download? i already did it lol b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ty Nowitsawn

Everything has its beginnings, but it doesn't start at one. It starts long before that... The world is born From zero. The moment zero becomes one is the moment the world springs to life. One becomes 2. 2 becomes 10. 10 becomes 100. taking it all back to one solves nothing. so long as zero remains... One.. Will eventually grow to 100 again.
  • YuniBlood - Raging Tide
    YuniBlood - Raging Tide Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    :D i plan to take my time, and level up tailor and new manufacture. :). Till my assingments are done, then i will speed up a bit. So i will level up faster later lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Blademaster level 8x not active!!
    Seeker :D level 2x active and going to be main!
    Perfect world international Album all ready and set up Check it out. Use the link below or click on my username for link
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I will most definitely explore the new area and take some time to admire the view. I agree with your point of view Miugre, but at this point you KNOW you're...unfortunately just fighting the windmills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • Shevanel - Sanctuary
    Shevanel - Sanctuary Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Well written miugre. You took the words right out of my.mouth. I often wonder the point.of hypering to 100. All it breeds is people who fail at theirclass. The balance has been ruined, the people in charge have constantly disappointed with catering to those who did use those hypers.

I'm still gonna play my wizard. Try and have as much fun with the expansion and what it brings for me.
    Koiz - omfg my life is now complete
    Shevanel - haha oh?
    ~~~
    Koiz - i took this massive dump
    Koiz - while listening to im on a boat hahahah
    Shevanel - hahahahaha
    Shevanel - haha
    Shevanel - Oh wow

Certain levels of Boredom..
    ThaMessiah: I'd rather endlessly wack it till I shot a load that hits my ceiling than do a 3-2
  • Namidatears - Harshlands
    Namidatears - Harshlands Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    +100 to all...very good speech,but sadly useless.....why?no-lifers are everywhere...they only wabt to play an op char,kill fast smashing brainless only a button.
    Like you,Im play in old severs too,so,the fun of the game was ripped long time ago...lame,but true.
    =Palynzer= b:bye
  • PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear
    PunkinKatt - Heavens Tear Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I've been with PWI since it's beginning (not day one, but close enough to it). When I first started this game back in 2008 (it was still called Rise of the Empire, or something like that), my first character was a Blade Master. I got her to level 5, I believe, but didn't really get into the job. I deleted her and created Misty_Munroe, a Winged Elf Archer. I played that character until she was about level 50 or so, but wanted to try out veno, mostly because I love animals and I thought it would be fun to fight side by side with a pet. I fell in love with veno and eventually deleted Misty_Munroe, since I no longer played the character. Misty had a knack for getting into trouble when soloing, PunkinKatt is a natural loner... all she requires, outside of dungeons and mega-bosses, is her pet by her side. I took a break from the game for about 6 months in 2009 to play another game and then came back to a different economy... packs had been introduced during my absence. I saw the economy go from very good to very bad. Then quit last year and came back last week to find the economy even worse. I've seen the player base when it was just bunch of good 'ol boys (and girls), who just wanted to have fun and were willing to help out each other... friend or stranger. There's not a whole lot of that now. I've seen the the implementation of new features and expansions, including a new race (Tideborn), but no new storylines to go with those changes and expansions.
    I am hoping that tonights update brings something excitingly new. But even if it is a disappointment, content wise, I am eager to see the new areas. The one thing that I can give truly give the dev's credit for is the artistic beauty of Perfect World. I have stood on the top of that cliff near Dreaming and I have wondered at the beauty below while flying. I took the time to sight see and acquire all of my waypoints completely through exploration... even the areas that, at level 70, I am still too low level for.

Oh yea... I am so going to roll a Mystic. I love playing mage type jobs.
    There's no such thing as a "Perfect World" full of Jade, diamonds, gold, and other riches and treasures. There is only an imperfect world, with an imperfect society, full of imperfect people, with imperfect idea's about how to be perfectly rich and perfectly perfect. No one cares about being perfectly kind, perfectly fair, or perfectly content.
    It's a perfectly sad world.
  • I_Love_Pets - Heavens Tear
    I_Love_Pets - Heavens Tear Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Can't agree more miug. This is the best post about how things have come to pass. It sums it up susinctly and it IS accurate.

When pwi was new (new as in the version not the game itself) It was fun there was a lot to do and learn. (I remember when people practicly fought over darkness stamps) <= epic lol times to look back on.
    Even when the people would get rank8 the server would say it an people would seriously mean grats when you got it( the same when somebody hit lv89 and became demon or sage it was a BIG DEAL now its a joke)

There is no skill needed anymore. You use to value skill above a lvl because people who had skill WERE a higher lvl it took EFFORT to hit 90 or higher you had to LEARN your class. Oh my! What a concept.

That aside pwi is still a ok game but they DO NEED TO FIX THE **** WITH IT

That is just the truth. Make the game fixed to the old version during the old times. That means no tide born,nix,hurc,5aps, and packs etc. On a new server with it like the pw-cn version was with things farmable or buyable but not like it is now at all. No hypers, mass oracles,no Rank buying, NO buying hurc/nix,No genie No lunar insigs etc.

That kind of **** You would farm every piece of gear. The AH would have mounts/flyers
    Training esotericas&zhen squads (WTF are these again? oh yea...)
    The bid hall would be there but the items would be like a flyer ticket or maybe a set of (5)pwi packs with slightly higher ratios. Instead of lunar insig weps or such you could maybe get a fragment (type specific) towards a lunar insig rather then the full thing. This would mean that if you got it it would be both valuable but tradable to if you aquired a few(possibly) The lunar wep etc all that being farmable (warsong being there yes as well cube badges ofc being made in cube etc) The only difference being the insignia weapon versions would be different both in look and power. It would be more powerful but not overly. It would also look IMPRESSIVE with YOUR name on it (none tradable and bound etc) this is of course where people like the cash shopping parts can get their fix.

TW would be fixed as well. No TW coin payment for just (owning it) you would be paid mirages if you did not defend it or win it. Should you defend the territory you get TW pay for it in coins or win it of course. This would fix a lot of the problems. The first being that You do not have a large coin influx to the server ever! Mirages would be based for (maintaining the land) this way the coins will be roughly stable and gold price to an extent.
    TW bids would be required at 1M start bid(the reason is that it would have to be a serious bid or intent to bid.) No refund on a failed bid. Same reason as before. The Teritory map would have a set date to reset. No if's ands or but's. One full year(this is because it takes roughly one year to take the entire map)
    There would be no complaint about it you know the reset is coming a long time in advance.
    This also encourages more people to TW because if there is a "dominent" faction that always holds territory people do not feel a wish to deal with that. Why refine your gear or work on it like that for a TW that does not last or is not fun? The reset also gives reason to TW for the territory against the monsters to! People who may miss it would get to later on. It gives a reason to look forward to the "new year" new TW chances all sortd of fun.

TT would be back to the way it was before. No problem with that if anybody even remembers how it "used to be" other then the select few.
    TW = fun again
    Fun instances
    Decent gold prices
    Cash shoppers have their fix to=Bid hall for exclusive items etc
    PvE and PvP have meaning again
    You could play free or pay up to you.
    Venomancer has to farm hurc and nix with the original lvl req = a skilled venomancer to have it (it IS a status symbol)
    Squads would be a lot more diverse
    5aps is not a need for that sort of game play 3aps tops. since it still works just fine
    -channeling being caped at a -50% channeling with gear to prevent problems and complaints between classes and such
    (in honestly you dont need more then 40 as it is even as a wizz)
    Sage and Demon skills for cleric res give a 1 time an hour self res
    (cleric at this lvl should not die more then this since it does take skill to do that and the skill is expensive and such with no effect at lower lvls but gives incentive to get it maxed)
    ALL books are farmable and in the lvl required dungeons
    (meaning 89- 89 skill books 99-99etc)

The 79 skill books are farmable with the pages in TT and 89 and OHT(this was avaliable long before rising tide came out not a lot did it though before then)
    Bh- removed no need for it because it makes the game a lot easier and less skill required
    (you do not need it to lvl or play at all, and no you don't do not say you do even IF you work etc because there are PLUNTY of ways to get exp it can be boring but that is expected because that is what it is END GAMEit IS harder to lvl at that point for a reason.

This aside I know it wont happen for those of us who loved it the way it was. That does not mean the few of us who do remember would not dream for it even if it was not going to happen.
    A server for those who love the F2P option and value fun,skill, and commitment to something that basis. I would PAY to play a server that way like the old but with proper fixes and such a good 30$ to that per month for the playing on a sever like that with the option for a bit extra is fine by me. I would love it and I know full well there are many who would. Even P2P with things based both in the boutique to earn or buy with ingame coins etc or such like that stated above. I honestly think that pwi would make a lot of people both happy and glade. They would get sales etc to so that would not hurt as well
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dont be fooled by looks.
    Even beauty can kill.

also wish they would fix the dam prob with my "join date" its way off>_>
  • Lolotte - Lost City
    Lolotte - Lost City Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Very well written.
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Wow, usually when I make a thread, it has at least half a dozen trolls posting in it by the time I wake up the next morning. o.o Maybe they're all out getting their Sin mains to solo FF for them? -_-

At any rate, yeah I know I'm not gonna fix everything. We make what dents we can, and then we accept that some people are going to continue to be stupid. Case in point: I've sold 3/7 of my Scarlets already. XD (EDIT: Make that 4) I knew that posting this thread wasn't gonna hurt my little business today... if only because most of the impatient idiots don't even read the forums.

I currently have a lv8 Mystic (holding off on playing him for a few hours right now), and my only real complaint so far is that they power you through those first levels WAY too fast. Makes me think about how I had to friggin work for my exp as an Archer, by comparison. XD

I am, however, pleasantly surprised with the Mystic's apparent lack of OP-ness. My fight with the Devil mob to get the first summon nearly ended with me dying, and several uses of my heal skill (though it'd have probably helped if I remembered to upgrade it and the attack to lv2). And that wasn't the only mob who made me heal. Actually having to heal myself against lv5 mobs suggests that this class may actually be a bit of a challenge to play (as opposed to the "hey, let's hit it with this insanely OP bleed skill and then move on to the next mob" style of a lv5 Sin).

I haven't had much of a chance to explore yet, but this will be done in short order. ;]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • I_Love_Pets - Heavens Tear
    I_Love_Pets - Heavens Tear Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Um I went exploreing an am gonna Q_Q no tamable pets FTW!b:angry
    Bleh that aside, You would think that pwi would know people would be 100+ in a few days from the rising tide exp. So yea.... no 79+ skills yet it seems, no weps either (at npcs) Music missing (in certain areas) o.O
    No actual fixes to current problems
    New Tip page on loading screen not sure if any1 else saw it but um ya... Do not stand on an npc's head you wont like it. Says what? they know you rubber band an wont fix it or?...
    No new dailies or decent instances(guilde base &TWnot included)
    That aside anybody else see a half *** job about the update for the most part copy a bit of this class that class an presto um yea not going for it. Jus saying
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dont be fooled by looks.
    Even beauty can kill.

also wish they would fix the dam prob with my "join date" its way off>_>
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I just return here after awhile. b:bye
    Going to find out is the expansion able to amuse me . . b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...