More players vs potential lag

redblossom
redblossom Posts: 12 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
Dear players,

I've been thinking about coming back to perfect world when the new update arrives. And I was planning on making a char on a pvp server. For what I know, the lost city server is the oldest and thus has the most players, making me prefer choosing to play on the lost city server. Now the problem is that its a west server, and seeing as I live in europe (netherlands) an east server would probably be better for me (in theory).

Now the reason for my thread was to ask you players if you actually notice a difference between playing on the server closest to your country or the one further away from it? As in, is it worth going to the harshlands for the reason of it being an east server, or is the difference so small that I could play normally on the lost city server (personal preference) instead?
Thank you all in advance for any information possible!
Post edited by redblossom on

Comments

• TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Easiest way to find out is to compare your ping across each server.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • redblossom
    edited February 2011
    Yes I know about the ping, and its lower (as I expected) on east servers. However I was wondering if it makes an actual ingame difference to you players, as the difference in pings (atleast for me) isn't much.
  • TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Unless you can tell the difference between a delay of like .1 seconds, it shouldn't really matter. I can't tell the difference between 100-200 ping.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Firefeng - Dreamweaver
    Firefeng - Dreamweaver Posts: 421 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Eh, the reported ping you see in-game is questionable, but servers closest to you will almost always have a better ping as a matter of pure physics. (Unless you get routed through a crappy server node en route to the game servers.)

And yes, in a PVP game requiring twitch skills to avoid an untimely death at the hands of a high-APS assassin who's just come out of stealth to stab your face, a higher ping is necessary for survival.
  • redblossom
    edited February 2011
    the ping (for me) on the west pvp server (lost city) is about 172, and the ping on the east pvp server (harshlands) is about 93. Now the ping difference is quite small, and for what i've seen, the ping I have at lost city doesnt really exceed 300. Would this mean I won't notice much of an ingame difference even in higher populated areas? or have you players noticed a clear difference even with such pings? I don't really see a difference ingame (between the two servers) for me yet, but im only around the starting zone.
    Again, thanks for any information possible!
  • lmaonade1xp
    lmaonade1xp Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    redblossom wrote: »
    the ping (for me) on the west pvp server (lost city) is about 172, and the ping on the east pvp server (harshlands) is about 93. Now the ping difference is quite small, and for what i've seen, the ping I have at lost city doesnt really exceed 300. Would this mean I won't notice much of an ingame difference even in higher populated areas? or have you players noticed a clear difference even with such pings? I don't really see a difference ingame (between the two servers) for me yet, but im only around the starting zone.
    Again, thanks for any information possible!

If it doesn't exceed 300, then you're perfectly fine, you don't really get hindered by lag until 500's 700's of ping.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    redblossom wrote: »
    Now the reason for my thread was to ask you players if you actually notice a difference between playing on the server closest to your country or the one further away from it? As in, is it worth going to the harshlands for the reason of it being an east server, or is the difference so small that I could play normally on the lost city server (personal preference) instead?

do you actually notice a difference in ping based on where the servers are located? as in, larger than the difference you get from the wind blowing your ISP's cables around on the telephone poles? you lucky, lucky sonofasomething.

i live pretty much in the middle of Nowhere, U.S. Midwest. my ping is wildly variable --- from sometimes in the mid-100 ms range (when i'm lucky!) to past 1,000 ms and beyond. it'll vary across that range within a single gaming session, often enough. and yeah, i notice these variations, very keenly and acutely.

if playing on some specific server would give me a constant and predictable ping, i might switch to it almost no matter what that ping was. the variability annoys me at least as much as the lag. however, it's got very little to do with where the servers are, and a lot more to do with where i am --- so, no luck there for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • zizoun
    zizoun Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I got chars in archosaur and in harshlands and I can tell you that it's pretty noticiable (I'm european aswell).
    Ping between the two servers change a lot (between 150-200 less sometimes) and if I have to make an average between the peak laggy moments in one and the other I can tell you it really does make a difference.
    I'm waiting to see if they open a new east server, don't care if it's pvp or pve, but i know that I won't reroll never again in a west server... I get longer rubberbanding and even lags of 2 seconds in some instances.
  • redblossom
    edited March 2011
    Thank you all kindly, I guess I will be going to harshlands to make sure I get the best performance.
  • Tiageos - Sanctuary
    Tiageos - Sanctuary Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    As I've posted before, appoximately 80% of the 'percieved' lag isn't actually lag. It's **** on your system, or your system itself. of the remaining 20%, it's the connection between you and the server, NOT the server itself.

I keep hoping that someday you guys will get smart and realize this, or start using the search function to find stuff out before making a stupid post, but that's just a pipe dream.
  • zizoun
    zizoun Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    As I've posted before, appoximately 80% of the 'percieved' lag isn't actually lag. It's **** on your system, or your system itself. of the remaining 20%, it's the connection between you and the server, NOT the server itself.

I keep hoping that someday you guys will get smart and realize this, or start using the search function to find stuff out before making a stupid post, but that's just a pipe dream.

Sorry, oh smart godlike person for our stupidity, come here redeem us with your pro knowledge about the internet and help us find the difference of the "connections between us and the server" and NOT the server itself, to learn to difference the "percieved" lag.

Now we know why we get more ping in a western server than in an eastern server.
    Thanks god you were here to save us.
  • Llux - Sanctuary
    Llux - Sanctuary Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Rude rude. Everyones sooooo rude. b:bye

The issue, I think, is wondering if this difference really exists all across the board?? It would take a survey of a very large number of PW users across all servers to figure it out if it even exists as opposed to some players' specific internet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~My Screenshot Tumblr~
    insanitymogit.tumblr.com
  • redblossom
    edited March 2011

1. Thank you for acting like a not-so-kind-person, I appreciate it dearly!

2. I know that there are other factors that cause lag. However as I have a fairly new system, and not much '****' on it aswell, I just wondered if others noticed difference in lag with the shown pings on the sever list. Whom I got helpful answers from.

3. To be honest I did not think about using the search option before I made this thread. For which I apologize. We should keep the threads on a forum to a minimum.
  • Tiageos - Sanctuary
    Tiageos - Sanctuary Posts: 266 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Just stating the blatantly obvious to all the kids that are too lazy to use their brains. (which is mostly why the forum looks like hell now, and will for the next several days.)
  • ugysekell
    ugysekell Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I live in Europe (Hungary) and play on a West coast server (Sanctuary) and I don't even lag in West Archo. xD I have a friend from Texas who lags like hell, no matter where she is. So I say it all depends on your computer and connection. I have 120 MB/s internet speed and brand new computer made especially for 2011 PC games and **** like that because I'm such a nerd. :P My friend has slow net and old laptop.
  • redblossom
    edited March 2011
    I've checked out west archo in both lost city and harshlands and I don't notice much difference yet. So I'm wondering, is there a big difference between the amount of people in the lost city and harshlands servers? As the lost city server is the oldest of the two. Seeing if I were to go to the harshlands server, would I still come across fellow players when killing monsters, or is it somewhat empty in comparison to the lost city server?
    Again, thanks in advance!