My review of Forsaken World

Options
Amarant_ - Lost City
Amarant_ - Lost City Posts: 5 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Off-Topic Discussion
Alright. I was on the World Chat channel expressing my dissatisfaction with Forsaken World and I had a couple PMs asking me to explain it. I didn't want to waste the teles so, here we go (For the record, I realize I'm unpopular on my server so I don't really care if you value my opinion or not. This is just posted for those who asked. I don't intend to ever read it again so if you have questions, ask me in game):

Let me start by saying that I only played Forsaken World on closed beta yesterday for about 4.5 hours. Granted, I was pretty taken with PWI after about an hour of gameplay. I just want to go ahead and specify that so that you'll realize it could possibly get better with more game hours after beta testing.

I found Forsaken World's character customization to be terribly bland, which really started me off on the wrong foot. I don't want to see every character looking the same when I play a game. It makes the whole thing feel very generic and boring. I also found the game itself clumsy and awkward to interface with. I was able to clutch onto PWI's gameplay fairly quickly within the first hour of playing, which is one reason I was so apt to continue playing.

As far as game features, I obviously didn't experience many because I didn't play for very long (if I'm not impressed after 4.5 hours, I don't want a program taking up space on my hard drive). What I did experience, however, was... hard to explain. It honestly felt like the developers put too effort into trying to make the gameplay more advanced than other games. It just resulted in being very confusing. Too much was going on at once and, being new to a game, it was very unsettling and distracted me from really being able to immerse myself in starter gameplay (which is kind of important considering that's the fundamentals of end-game prowess). I also didn't like the battle system, but I won't get too into that because I'm getting frustrated just recalling this experience.

Obviously every product will have a few people who don't slap it with a seal of approval so, if you want to play (and submitted a beta key to do so) you can go try it. It'll distract you from PWI and give me some time to level my alts b:victory If you don't have a beta key... well, you'll just have to wait until the game is fully launched. Maybe it'll be a better experience then. As for me, It was a was of 3GB off my hard drive.
I know how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong.
Post edited by Amarant_ - Lost City on

Comments

• Echolight - Dreamweaver
    Echolight - Dreamweaver Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    forsaken world wasnt that bad... its just the slow running that sucks DX
  • Jellytoast - Sanctuary
    Jellytoast - Sanctuary Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Hey, you realize there's a suggestion forum on the FW site right? It's barely opened, of course there will be some things they haven't quite worked out yet. -.-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    jellytoast - Demon Cleric
    Wizzypop - Demon Wizard

"We cannot solve our problems with the same
    thinking we used when we created them." -Albert Einstein
  • _blood_rain - Sanctuary
    _blood_rain - Sanctuary Posts: 2,532 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I too found FW to be a dissapointment, and hell i didnt even give it 4 hours.
    I agree with what was said about the interface and and the character customization
    Being someone who's played many of pwe's games, and found them all dissapointing(besides pwi), I decided this would be more of the same after about 1 hour.
    With the exception of PWI, all pwe games Ive played have had nothing to bring to the table. They seem to be lacking in graphic quality, overall quality, and are hard to get into with their impersonal,confusing, generic, and cluttered interfaces. The vastly limited character customizations also make the games far less appealing.
    I had hoped PWE would do us a favor and at least give us an interface more like PWI's
    But I logged on and it was more of the same ****
    Im tired of seeing more of the same unplayable steaming piles coming from pwe
    When the clear indicators that FW would fit that category showed up, I just put it down.
    I agree, waste of comp space.
    Next time PWE turns up another game, I dont think I will even bother.
  • RainbowVidel - Sanctuary
    RainbowVidel - Sanctuary Posts: 1,316 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Wrong forum, Amarant_

[begins countdown to eventual thread closing]
  • MasterOfHell - Dreamweaver
    MasterOfHell - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i thought this was going to be an awesome game, but when i played it looked like a clone of BOI which is a clone of JD and so on and so on.
    download to claim you play,
    play a god forsaken amount to win,
    pay to cheat legally.
  • pwicontest
    pwicontest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i thought this was going to be an awesome game, but when i played it looked like a clone of BOI which is a clone of JD and so on and so on.

It's very similar to other popular pay-to-play titles which I can't name but it's a decent game overall I think. The having a lot to do is somewhat confusing - but once you get the hang of it and understand what to do there's lots to work on and keeps you occupied, at least more than it does here. The interface is a little messy I admit and I found the text a little hard to read at times. Who knows what it'll be like in open beta tho.
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    Thanks Amarant_ for the short but insightful review. Since the day I tried JD, I felt rather cautious at trying other PWE games.

I must admit that PWI set the bar quite high with its features (the vastness of the world, many classes, very nice graphics, the very rich option of customization being some of them)

It is also true that PWE tries to avoid making clones for each of their games... Imagine if all subsequent games were templates of PWI, would not the playerbase look somewhere else (another company, probably)?
    (That said, MMORPGs all have a common base)

Reviewing a fresh game really can lead to disappointment at times, especially these days, as people expect and most only focus beautiful graphics, breathtaking music, originality and long-term enjoyment (the HD effect)

As I grew up in the golden era of videogames, I only would focus on playability and class balance, but also the fighting system and the boredom rate. The game story would be a bonus.
    I would also add that I would not really want to try a MMO and create a character in it because I could end attached to him/her, but even with that, if it's all bland and confusing, I'd rather leave.

And so, I have become rather picky in my choosing and wait for good, unbiased reviews from other people.

And that is why I gave interest in your thread.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Drazo - Dreamweaver
    Drazo - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,187 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    FW is good in it's own way, but I still (much) prefer PWI. b:victory
    Non-mule characters:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]....and Drazomyst.
  • sikozu
    sikozu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I would have to say I did not enjoy FW either. With the bland character creation aside, the gameplay was just a bit too easy for me and you could level within hours. I just didn't like the way the elf stand and bard was the only class that stood out for me. I cant really comment on any of the content as I did not get too far. If one thing puts me off about the game I tend to put off with the whole thing in general.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ★ :Sikozu :: Venomancer: ★ :Nebira :: Cleric: ★
  • pwimagicgame
    pwimagicgame Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    The whole game feels nerfed to me. Far to many controls, restrictions and manipulation going on. I'm also old school, I want killing mobs to mean something rather than endless repetitive and above all ultra unchallenging and safe running about town quests being the way to level. And what's with not a single instance for the lone adventurer ? That sux. Not all of us want to play with other smelly players.

No, if you asked me for one word to sum up this game, 'nerfed' would be it. They are lucky Vindictus is only open to N/Americans otherwise the EU server would be as empty as the American servers.
  • Denze - Lost City
    Denze - Lost City Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Options
    I posted it on the PWI forum because I was asked by PWI players for my review of the game. I wasn't actually intending to look at this thread again, so whether or not it gets removed makes no difference to me. I was actually on just now looking for an explanation of the River-Cross Captain's existence in PWI b:pleased