suggestion

FatalPulse - Raging Tide
FatalPulse - Raging Tide Posts: 43 Arc User
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
people may think this is a stupid idea but i think pwi would be alot better and easier to play if the had the aut quest trackert that went around obcsticles instead of running into them that has made FW so enjoyable
I live amung the shadows O_e
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. b:coolb:sin
Post edited by FatalPulse - Raging Tide on

Comments

• Atreyuthus - Sanctuary
    Atreyuthus - Sanctuary Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Yea, so you can just fly at max height and run into nothing.

/endofthread
  • FatalPulse - Raging Tide
    FatalPulse - Raging Tide Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Yea, so you can just fly at max height and run into nothing.

/endofthread

i mean for lvl 1-30
    I live amung the shadows O_e
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. b:coolb:sin
  • BarbLord - Raging Tide
    BarbLord - Raging Tide Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    This game just has to much rubberbanding so it wouldn't work either way
  • Atreyuthus - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    i mean for lvl 1-30

I think you can get a mount at like lvl 10 (20?)

Before that, you could tele or run. Or just grind out a few lvls; the single digit levels go tragically fast
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    i thought of this along time ago.

now i really just wish they put auto-pathing to instances back in, that was a stupid thing to remove.
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Atreyuthus - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011

now i really just wish they put auto-pathing to instances back in, that was a stupid thing to remove.

Yea, so pissed when that went away >.<
  • Lesthar - Heavens Tear
    Lesthar - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,045 Arc User
    edited February 2011

That seems to be a good idea.
    Maintenance time. Please choose a line:
    - When is it over? OMG I need my fix!! *super spazzing*
    - Fix the damn bugs, dammit! I'm so angry! I'll quit!!
    - New codes out there? I like free stuff~ *wink*
    - When will we get new content? QQ
    - Will we get sales? I got a ton of gold to spend.
    - I'm bored, I'll create a useless thread to annoy Opkorock.
    - *Incessant poking on Sweetiebot* Fun~
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Auto path to the boutique as well please b:cute Sometimes I have a little trouble navigating there b:surrender
  • Omgpie - Lost City
    Omgpie - Lost City Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    pathfinding in the pwi world (which does not consist of discrete grids) is much more computationally intensive than just drawing a straight line. If many people were to request pathfinding at the same time it would probably put significant load on the server.
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    pathfinding in the pwi world (which does not consist of discrete grids) is much more computationally intensive than just drawing a straight line. If many people were to request pathfinding at the same time it would probably put significant load on the server.

Oh cmon, other games by the same company has it.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited February 2011

why on earth would pathfinding have to be a server-side function? the client knows the world map grid, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Twil - Lost City
    Twil - Lost City Posts: 109 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    What exactly is an aut quest trackert?

b:sweat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Twilight Temple = HH. All the cool kids are saying it.
    Perfect World International is Schrodinger's game - it may or may not be dead. b:laugh
    If the game is dead, then YOU JUST LOST IT b:mischievous
    Calvin - Lost City: Nothing is cooking except I am putting 3 eggs on Elayne's boiling bald head and making some scramble eggs.
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    A different MMORPG has a nice autopath feature in the minimap. When you click on the minimap, your character will try its best to get there, and will go around objects like tables/walls (if there is a door, your character will go through that when autopathing).

But that's in java coding. Pretty sure it'll be a lot more complex in a system like PWI's
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    It's true, this would be awesome, but don't forget-- back when PWI launched there was no autopathing at all. So yeah, baby steps :)
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    A different MMORPG has a nice autopath feature in the minimap. When you click on the minimap, your character will try its best to get there, and will go around objects like tables/walls (if there is a door, your character will go through that when autopathing).

But that's in java coding. Pretty sure it'll be a lot more complex in a system like PWI's

i know the game you speak of, and it's only simpler (if it is) because its maps are purely 2D with no real height differences.

pathfinding in general is a nontrivial computer science problem; there have probably been books written on it. on the other hand, it's a fairly well understood problem, and a video game needs no perfect solution --- PW's existing pathfinding routines already give up if they walk themselves into a corner and can't find a way to proceed in a given amount of time, and i see no reason that would have to change.

besides, PW already HAS an obstacle-avoiding path finder. mobs use it to find their way to you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • MasterOfHell - Dreamweaver
    MasterOfHell - Dreamweaver Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    what the point of implementing this feature if basically you can fly over the objects? if your not an elf and below lvl 30 it might be somewhat useful but when you hit 30 its absolutely useless so what the point of implementing this idea if you will have no use for it in the future? plus, if theres no option to turn it off, people with flight ability wont go in a strait line, and if you have common sense then you will know that a strait line is shorter than a zigzagged one. all the other games have it because (im not sure, i haven't played all the pwe games) they don't have flying abilities so the path-finding would be very useful since your on foot.
    download to claim you play,
    play a god forsaken amount to win,
    pay to cheat legally.
  • VenusArmani - Dreamweaver
    VenusArmani - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,009 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    what the point of implementing this feature if basically you can fly over the objects? if your not an elf and below lvl 30 it might be somewhat useful but when you hit 30 its absolutely useless so what the point of implementing this idea if you will have no use for it in the future? plus, if theres no option to turn it off, people with flight ability wont go in a strait line, and if you have common sense then you will know that a strait line is shorter than a zigzagged one. all the other games have it because (im not sure, i haven't played all the pwe games) they don't have flying abilities so the path-finding would be very useful since your on foot.

Ever heard of a mount? They are a lot faster than flying if you could run around obstacles. A lot more dangerous too, but the game shouldn't play itself. :\
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks Silvy for the superb sig <3

VenusArmani's word of the moment: Expand your Vocabulary, Expand your horizons!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=17992481&postcount=189
    Pusillanimous:
    1) lacking courage or resolution; cowardly; faint-hearted
    2) Proceeding from or indicating a cowardly spirit
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    It's true, this would be awesome, but don't forget-- back when PWI launched there was no autopathing at all. So yeah, baby steps :)
    I hated that, you would get a quest that would tell you to kill a mob/boss and it would give an extremely vague description of where it was.

I remember spending half an hour once looking for a boss in an area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
    edited February 2011
    Ever heard of a mount? They are a lot faster than flying if you could run around obstacles. A lot more dangerous too, but the game shouldn't play itself. :\

unfortunately, some people do not cash shop. but i do agree that the game shouldn't play itself. i say if your to lazy to go to the quest checkpoint/mob area on foot at the low levels, you would end up being to lazy to grind to complete the quest.
    pay to cheat legally.
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Actually, it shouldn't put any load on the server at all, since the path could be calculated client-side.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited March 2011

And when autopathing came out, it... sucked. To be kind to it. While it'd be nice if it worked "better", compared to the original incarnation, it's awesome.

"OK. I'll autopath there. I'll try again, it randomly stopped flying. OK it did it again, and I landed on a bunch of higher-level mobs. **** it. I'm going to fly the old fashioned way by clicking the distance in the direction I want to go." b:surrender
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • CandyCorn - Raging Tide
    CandyCorn - Raging Tide Posts: 1,547 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    doesn't this belong in the suggestion forums, ijs.

Auto pathing leads to
    > i want that auto attack feature like in jd Q_Q
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Move along..move along
  • zizoun
    zizoun Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    doesn't this belong in the suggestion forums, ijs.

Auto pathing leads to
    > i want that auto attack feature like in jd Q_Q

hmmm good idea, autopath quest, click on it, you will get there, buff up, kill mobs and when you're back with your coffee, quest is finished.

I think is good as it is now... or soon we won't even have to play the game, just press O
  • davidmathewb777
    davidmathewb777 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    just checking the time, if myne is right
  • sikozu
    sikozu Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I would rather see a HUGE update to the map system :( the maps in PWI are kinda horrible in comparison to FFXIV's (so easy to read and understand!).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ★ :Sikozu :: Venomancer: ★ :Nebira :: Cleric: ★
    edited March 2011
    zizoun wrote: »
    hmmm good idea, autopath quest, click on it, you will get there, buff up, kill mobs and when you're back with your coffee, quest is finished.

I think is good as it is now... or soon we won't even have to play the game, just press O

i think that well wont even have to download the game... all you have to do is turn on the computer an leave it and in the next hour you will be lvl 105 b:shocked

well thats as long as you pay the game $100,000 worth of money
    pay to cheat legally.