The way of the seeker

Venoblaster - Dreamweaver
Venoblaster - Dreamweaver Posts: 77 Arc User
edited July 2013 in Seeker
This guide is no longer maintained. Anyone is invited to take it over, republish it or just to use part of this info to create another guide.

Source code is available on pastebin.

The nature of the seeker

Discussion about seeker roles and play style.

Seekers are melee characters that wear heavy armor. They put themselves in harm's way and also use buffs and debuffs to support the squad, especially the casters. They mostly deal physical damage but also have skills that inflict magical damage.

Their roles include support, damage dealing, AOE and secondary tank.

Strengths and weaknesses

This section will be speculative until more information and experience is available.

PROS

⊲ Good survivability.
⊲ Rewards focus and reflexes.
⊲ Enhances the squad's performance (especially of casters).
⊲ Great visual effects.

CONS

⊲ Not the highest DPS.
⊲ May not be able to hold aggro for tanking.

Builds

Discussion about armor, weapons and stats.

Seeker Builds Spreadsheet

Heavy armor build for survivability

The standard seeker wears heavy armor and wields a sword or blade. This build requires 5 STR and 3 DEX every 2 levels. The remaining stat points can be invested in VIT for survivability until endgame gear is available, at which point they can be transferred to STR for damage.

On even levels add 3 STR, 2 DEX.
On odd levels add 2 STR, 1 DEX, 2 VIT.

Seekers get 15 HP for each VIT point.

Heavy armor build for damage dealing

On this build no or very little VIT would be added (e.g. capped at 20 VIT).

On even levels add 3 STR, 2 DEX.
On odd levels add 4 STR, 1 DEX.

This build would do extra damage at AOEs but would require refining the equipment for extra HP.

Light armor build

More information required.

Other proposed builds

⊲ A slightly altered sword bm build - something like capping vit at 50 then 3 str 2 dex every level.

⊲ A LA variant is also possible post 74, when the defense level buff maxes and you have that to make up for your lost phys defense.

⊲ 5 str 5 dex: kinda squishy with high accuracy and crit

⊲ 5 str 4 dex 1 vit: less squishy with good crit and high accuracy

⊲ 5 str 3 dex 2 vit (my build): good HP, ok crit, good accuracy

⊲ 4 str 4 dex 2 vit: good HP, light armor, good crit, high accuracy

⊲ 4 str 5 dex 1 vit: decent HP, light armor, great crit, great accuracy

⊲ 4 str 6 dex: very squishy, low HP, light armor, even greater crit, awesome accuracy but kinda dumb

Skills

Description of skills and recommendations on priorities.

For detailed information see the ecatomb skill database.

All seeker skills require a sword to be equipped.

Priorities:
⊲ High priority: Get it and raise it as soon it's available.
⊲ Medium priority: Get it and raise it when you have free spirit/coin and no other high priority skills to get.
⊲ Low priority: Don't bother, only raise its level at endgame. Only get level 1 if it is required to get another skill.
⊲ Keep at level 1: Get it as soon as available but don't raise its level because it's effective at level 1.

Level 1+

Rock Splitting Cleave
Melee attack. Deals physical damage. Keep at level 1

Level 9+

Staggering Strike
Melee attack. Deals physical damage. When the enemy has the Eye of Northern Sky status, deals extra damage, immobilizes the target and reduces the target's defense. High priority

Unfetter
Self-buff. Improves your movement speed for a short time. Low priority

Level 13+

Northern Sky Waltz
Self-buff. Lasts 10 minutes. Gives each attack a chance to add the Eye of the Northern Sky status on the enemy. Using Staggering Strike while the status is active will deal extra damage, immobilize the target and decrease its defense level. High priority

Level 19+

Bladed Fervor
Active blessing. Increases critical rate, attack level and defense level. Low priority

Battousai
Ranged attack. Deals physical and metal damage. Medium priority

Blade Affinity
Self-buff. Decreases chanelling time for a short time. Low priority

Level 24+

Heart Shatter
Mob debuff. Lowers target's metal and physical resistance. Medium priority

Level 29+

Parchedblade Dance
Self-buff. Lasts 10 minutes. Gives each attack a chance to add the Bloodlet status on the enemy. Using Stalagstrike while the status is active will deal extra damage and immobilize the target. High priority

Blade and Sword Mastery
Passive Effect. Increases damage. High priority

Ion Spike
Ranged AOE attack. Deals metal damage. Reduces enemies' metal resistance. Consumes 1 spark. Medium priority

Stalagstrike
AOE attack. Deals physical damage. When the enemy has the Bloodlet status, deals extra damage and stuns the target. High priority

Adrenal Numbness
Self-buff. Increases defense level. Medium priority

Level 39+

Saber Rattle
Squad buff. Increases attack level. Consumes 1 Mirage Celestone. Low priority

Mind Shatter
Mob debuff. Lowers target's wood and water resistance. Low priority

Heartseeker
Ranged attack. Deals metal damage. Has a chance to immobilize the target. High priority

Darkcloud Bolt
AOE attack. Deals physical damage. Low priority

Voidstep
Ranged attack. Warps you to your target. Stuns the target. Unavailable in certain areas. Consumes 1 Spark. Medium priority

Level 49+

Soulsever Minuet
Self-buff. Lasts 10 minutes. Gives each attack a chance to add the Spirit Bore status on the enemy. Using Gemini Slash while the status is active will deal extra damage and reduce the target's attack and defense level. High priority

Gemini Slash
Ranged AOE attack. Deals physical damage. When the enemy has the Spirit Bore status, deals extra metal damage and and reduces the target's attack and defense level. High priority

Level 59+

Krav Maga
Squad buff. Increases defense level. Consumes 1 Mirage Celestone. Keep at level 1

Soul Shatter
Mob debuff. Lowers target's fire and earth resistance. Medium priority

Edged Blur
AOE attack. Deals physical and metal damage. Damages stealthed assassins and reveals them. Consumes 2 sparks. Medium priority

Yataghan Vortex
AOE attack. Deals constant physical damage. Consumes 2 sparks. Medium priority

Quid Pro Quo
Debuff. Transfers debuffs to the target and silences the target. Low priority

Stances

Discussion of seeker combat stances.

Combos

Review/guide of seeker attack combos.

Genies

Suggested genie skills:

⊲ Tree of Protection
⊲ Absolute Domain
⊲ Tangling Mire
⊲ Occult Ice
⊲ Cloud Eruption
⊲ Holy Path

(STR-based genie)

Tactics

Discussion of situational tactics, hints.

AOE

Seeker's zhen should have higher damage output at lvl 90+ thanks to higher crit rate and usage of TT90 gold swords which have zerk.

Sage and Demon

Review of strength/weaknesses and play styles of sage and demon choices.

Instance running

Specific advices for roles in BHs, TT, FC and higher level instances.

PVP

On 1v1 PVP, the lack of solid DPS, no reliable source of stuns, and the lack of any anti-stun put them at a very difficult position against 5.0 melee fighters.

Territory Wars

Gemini Slash and heavy armor make seekers very dangerous opponents in TW. They can deal heavy AOE damage at no chi cost with a 15 seconds cooldown and with a survivability edge over wizards and psychics due to heavy harmor.

Endgame

Information specific to choices at endgame: alternate builds, preferred equipments, etc.

Supply Stash

⊲ Level 5: Perfect Military Claymore - PATK 45-65, req. STR 16 DEX 13.

⊲ Level 10: 10 x Teleport Incense - teleports you to the nearest city.

⊲ Level 15: Aileron Kite - aerogear +0.50 m/s.

⊲ Level 20: 100 Medium Healing Potion, 100 Medium Mana Potion, Perfect Officer's Claymore - PATK 132-196, PATK +10, HP+65, req. STR 43 DEX 33.

⊲ Level 25: Raw Shard, 2 Resurrection Scrolls.

FAQ

Questions and answers:

⊲ Can they use claws or fists? No, they can only use swords, dual swords, blades and dual blades.

⊲ Can they get 5 APS? No.

⊲ Do they require points in MAG? No, even their metal-based AOEs are based on physical damage.

⊲ Can they be buffed with bloodpaint? Yes.

⊲ When they use that lord of sword thing do they get healed from ALL the mobs? Yes.

⊲ What does the third eye do? It's called "God's Eye" and it's purely cosmetic.
Post edited by Venoblaster - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Venoblaster - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    reserved...
    edited February 2011
    space reserved for expansion...
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    ZoanoAce - Lost City Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    This will become a promisingly good guide in the future, I post to approve of this!b:victory
    ●Barb - The "natural" leader. Cool and collected, slow to anger, and typically jovial. Swift to act when friends' lives are in danger, and prepared to lay down his life if the situation calls for it.

End of lvling, starting of the unimaginableb:laughb:victoryb:coolb:cool
    edited February 2011
    This will become a promisingly good guide in the future, I post to approve of this!b:victory

Thank you for your support, Ace. Help me put it together as we learn how to play a seeker.
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    edited February 2011
    Will do! ;D

I'm so psyched for their release on PWI!b:laugh
    ●Barb - The "natural" leader. Cool and collected, slow to anger, and typically jovial. Swift to act when friends' lives are in danger, and prepared to lay down his life if the situation calls for it.

• heavenskies
    heavenskies Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    so Lord of Sword will replace Wizard's Dragon's Breath....sighb:cryb:cryb:cry
  • Zyhark - Lost City
    Zyhark - Lost City Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    so Lord of Sword will replace Wizard's Dragon's Breath....sighb:cryb:cryb:cry

No it won't. it will be a physical timed aoe. so actually, it will compliment the Wizards dragon's breath, making wizards wanted more.
    At Your Service,
    Zyhark, Director of Dhara
  • Animal_Pein - Dreamweaver
    Animal_Pein - Dreamweaver Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    No it won't. it will be a physical timed aoe. so actually, it will compliment the Wizards dragon's breath, making wizards wanted more.

From what I have heard, it will outdamage the wizards AoE, due to the fact it has +%weapon damage, so the wizard's AoE will be inferior, and the wizard (being squishier) will become even more obsolete than it already is.
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    edited February 2011
    From what I have heard, it will outdamage the wizards AoE, due to the fact it has +%weapon damage, so the wizard's AoE will be inferior, and the wizard (being squishier) will become even more obsolete than it already is.
    Just that alone made me not take your post seriously, among other things of course.b:bye

• Zheromus - Archosaur
    Zheromus - Archosaur Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I Think you should add to the build section another option of Heavy Build:

DD Heavy Build:
    3 Str, 2 Dex
    and 4Str,1 Dex at each odd level.
  • skyepersona
    skyepersona Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011

DD Heavy Build:
    3 Str, 2 Dex

You need vit bro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Zheromus - Archosaur
    Zheromus - Archosaur Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    You need vit bro.

Not precisely... except when soloing or for PVP the Seeker will almost never tank anything... i can see more benefit on extra Str for the AoE damage, and refining the Equip for extra HP
  • lighttheflame
    lighttheflame Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited February 2011

DD Heavy Build:
    3 Str, 2 Dex

Most likely what my build will be, pure DD, just get hp from gear.
    IGN: Akshot
    Class: Berserker
    Level: 65
    Guild: Legends

IGN: Infamous
    Class: Heretic
    Level: 60
    Guild: Asuras
  • Daizengar - Sanctuary
    Daizengar - Sanctuary Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2011

If I remember correctly, the damage formula was base physical + % of weapon + extra damage. At level ten, the % of weapon is 100, but the second number is higher then archer's Barrage.

Wrong. It works exactly like Dragon's Breath. Use until canceled or run out of MP.

And yes, they get Bloodpaint.
    edited February 2011
    I'm adding the suggested build to the guide. Ty.
    edited February 2011
    And yes, they get Bloodpaint.

TY!.............
  • Ibbies - Lost City
    Ibbies - Lost City Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    well lol, wizards got more base dmg nuff said.

also...if seekers can get buffed with BP does that mean when they use that lord of sword thing do they get healed from ALL the mobs?

if so i could see lotsa farmers :P
  • ZoanoAce - Lost City
    edited February 2011

also...if seekers can get buffed with BP does that mean when they use that lord of sword thing do they get healed from ALL the mobs?

b:sinb:dirty

• skyepersona
    skyepersona Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2011

:O That'd be awesome b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • /Groovy/ - Harshlands
    /Groovy/ - Harshlands Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited February 2011

Yeah, they will get heals from all the mobs. It works on all physical AoEs, try it on your BM.

Seeker's zhen should have higher damage output at lvl 90+ thanks to higher crit rate and usage of TT90 gold swords which have zerk.

I doubt it will make wizards obsolete though, as of now we have to drop our zhen in GV quite often due to taking more aggro than we can survive. If Seeker will be able to hold and survive aggro, wizards won't have to be that careful and deal a lot of damage while still being safe.
    Packs World International
  • YuniBlood - Raging Tide
    YuniBlood - Raging Tide Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Nice guide.b:chuckle Will be looking at this during my time as seeker :). b:pleasedb:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Blademaster level 8x not active!!
    Seeker :D level 2x active and going to be main!
    Perfect world international Album all ready and set up Check it out. Use the link below or click on my username for link
  • Ibbies - Lost City
    Ibbies - Lost City Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    ugh.....march the 3rd 2011 will be the day the QQ train rolls out once again....
  • heavenskies
    heavenskies Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    ugh.....march the 3rd 2011 will be the day the QQ train rolls out once again....

Undoutable...
  • ALL_STAR_X - Sanctuary
    ALL_STAR_X - Sanctuary Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Do you guys think the update will be early on wednesday?
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    The update should be during maintenance tonight (usually 11pm-1am Pacific Tuesday night-Wednesday morning)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
    edited March 2011
    Thank you everyone for your support and your contributions to this guide. Keep them coming as you find stuff out and I'll be updating this. b:victory
  • Vorken - Archosaur
    Vorken - Archosaur Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Since seeker's aren't putting stats in to MAG, they will have small MP pools (compared to Wizards). Don't you think maintaining the AOE for long durations will be a problem?
  • /Groovy/ - Harshlands
    /Groovy/ - Harshlands Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    Just use extra MP regen pots which last 10 minutes.
    Packs World International
  • Derressh - Dreamweaver
    Derressh - Dreamweaver Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    I also hear there's this really cool item called Herb Yuanxiao that could possibly help with your MP problems.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I main a 97 Psy named /\bra. The forums don't like his name.
    So I post on my Barb.
    [On possibly-permanent hiatus]
  • Feynira - Sanctuary
    Feynira - Sanctuary Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    So, uh, how would a 6 Str, 3 Dex, 1 Vit build look? Or would the Vit just sort of be more redundant in a build like that than, say, 2 Vit? Like, "if you're going that low, might as well just throw it into Str"
This discussion has been closed.