Farming with a barb

Options
JohnnyTank - Sanctuary
JohnnyTank - Sanctuary Posts: 9 Arc User
edited February 2011 in Barbarian
I am wondering how hard it is to farm with a barb. Do you use more resources than you should? Does a lone barb take too long to kill mobs? Any advantages? I remeber reading somewhere that a barb is able to farm some something earlier than the other classes. Thanks for advice.
Post edited by JohnnyTank - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    Baalbak - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,624 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    at your level its generally going to cost you more to farm dq drops etc than other classes because you will be killing slower if you are building as a "tank" barb. you may be able to get faster kills however if you stat for more strength and dex though.

towards end game however, a good vit / high hp build will be very nice for farming Old Valley of the Scarred where you can pretty much one hit a ton of mobs with armageddon, where as other classes take longer to do the same, use more potions, etc. armageddon is FTW at aoe farming in OVS
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • BlaZinBoy - Heavens Tear
    BlaZinBoy - Heavens Tear Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Grinding is the worse possible way for income in this game and as a barb.Grind only when u have mob quest to grind on so its worth the beat down and repair.If you wanna play free to play style then go farm herbs/mats on routes to make some coin...i make a mill+ a day jsut on herbs and i farm for about a hour so thats good income for a hour of work.Farm mid mats to make ultimate subs to sell or sel lto highest cat shop.Merchanting is the best skill to learn here in perfect world trust me your going to need itb:chuckleb:victory
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    at your level its generally going to cost you more to farm dq drops etc than other classes because you will be killing slower if you are building as a "tank" barb. you may be able to get faster kills however if you stat for more strength and dex though.

towards end game however, a good vit / high hp build will be very nice for farming Old Valley of the Scarred where you can pretty much one hit a ton of mobs with armageddon, where as other classes take longer to do the same, use more potions, etc. armageddon is FTW at aoe farming in OVS

Speaking of which... as a pure tiger barb i haven't lvled Armageddon
    i like to grind in OVS but i uslly demon spark, surf impact sunder, and surf impact again that that kills about 85% of them
    gear reapirs take up about 95% of my profit from dropped coin. but i still get to keep 5% and all the money from the drops i sell
    do u think i can 1 shot them with my current gear with Armageddon if i bring it to lvl 10

gear is here: http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=ecca85c88ce98355
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    Options
    every once in a while after doing my normal "combo" everything will be dead. I don't go for a one shot kill with armageddon honestly. due to the spark cost of it, if I do kill things faster than normal I have to rebuild chi in one way or another, which in the long run if I'm hypering can slow me down significantly.

check the video below to see what I do:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXhoSahhDiw&feature=youtube_gdata
    (just uploaded, may still be processing)

btw, if you just get a basic pair of Calamities - even if they aren't max stat/2 socket - you'll get more HP for a higher base to work with on armageddon, add in the possibility of a "zerk" as well and you're looking at smexyness.

starting at level 97 I would actually go in there for 1 hour a day on hypers (12x) with no 2x events going. My pulling method would be just as you saw in the video above, continuously. Even with stopping to pick up drops I would make about 18-20% exp in one hour each day. The drops I got were able to pay my repairs, buy a new set of hypers for the next day, replace whatever potions I used, and still have some coin left over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    GohRaL - Sanctuary Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yeah, as other have already said grinding is profitable just at high level (or with the right mobs)...

@Baalbak: i like how you grind in OVS, i just have a question for you...

Why do you lure the mobs with the mount instead of going with tiger form ?

i mean, its just 1m/s slower than the anni mount but you dont have to waiste time for unsummon it and switch to tiger to start the combo...

my usual grind session in OVS is almost the same as yours except that i dont have all that demon skills b:shedtear

btw, good job and nice video !!! b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yeah, as other have already said grinding is profitable just at high level (or with the right mobs)...

@Baalbak: i like how you grind in OVS, i just have a question for you...

Why do you lure the mobs with the mount instead of going with tiger form ?

i mean, its just 1m/s slower than the anni mount but you dont have to waiste time for unsummon it and switch to tiger to start the combo...

my usual grind session in OVS is almost the same as yours except that i dont have all that demon skills b:shedtear

btw, good job and nice video !!! b:pleased

tiger barb demon version with no speed bonus gear or archer buff = 8.8 m/sec
    anni mount at max level = 11 m/sec

2.2 meters /sec makes a huge difference IMO. on the occasion that I get knocked off my mount while pulling, I end up loosing mobs during the pull unless i do some sort of skills here and there to keep aggro on them all. and again... it takes longer that way :(

sage barb OTOH goes faster in tiger than demon barb b:angry (my guess is so they can run away faster b:chuckle)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yeah, probably the difference is noticeable. since i think you run 1hour straight without pausing the hyper, if you have to get the drops and have the occasional stop to get chi/free the inventory and all that stuff, then you might lose some good time for an additional pull...

But IMO (just my thought cuz im not so used in OVS, just few levels), once you can gather them all without the risk of losing the aggro on the mobs, then demon tiger suits the role just fine...

Another thing that id like to underline is that i always ask for every kind of buff before starting an intense AOE grinding session. (and ofc i think you do the same b:chuckle)

Btw i really like your video, cuz its hard to find some good barb video at end-game and you as a demon barb make me want to push it even more b:victory

Again, GREAT JOB !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ...i guarantee you, YOUR CHILDREN WILL NOT SEE THE DAY OF YOUR WHITE HAIRS...GOODBYE BLUE SKY (and PW too)

>RETIRED<
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yeah, probably the difference is noticeable. since i think you run 1hour straight without pausing the hyper, if you have to get the drops and have the occasional stop to get chi/free the inventory and all that stuff, then you might lose some good time for an additional pull...

But IMO (just my thought cuz im not so used in OVS, just few levels), once you can gather them all without the risk of losing the aggro on the mobs, then demon tiger suits the role just fine...

Another thing that id like to underline is that i always ask for every kind of buff before starting an intense AOE grinding session. (and ofc i think you do the same b:chuckle)

Btw i really like your video, cuz its hard to find some good barb video at end-game and you as a demon barb make me want to push it even more b:victory

Again, GREAT JOB !!!

imo the most important buffs to get are archer's Wings of protection and assasin's bloodpaint. the extra evasion will make you get hit less for less reapirs. while bloodpaint is absurdly OP heal when ur hitting 20+ mobs at once even if they are taking 1/4th damage from being lvl ?

if i can get those I'm good to go
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    Options
    im also thinking of getting a genie for tangling mire i have one on my bm and ill probly just account stash it to by barb to see if it time saves me a few seconds on the mobs.

mire may cost genie stamina. but i think gear damaging from getting hit 50+ more times will be much more than the cost 300 coin its cost per mire use from chi stones.
  • GohRaL - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Options
    im also thinking of getting a genie for tangling mire i have one on my bm and ill probly just account stash it to by barb to see if it time saves me a few seconds on the mobs.

mire may cost genie stamina. but i think gear damaging from getting hit 50+ more times will be much more than the cost 300 coin its cost per mire use from chi stones.

Yeah, those are good buffs ofc, but even the cler's 1hour buffs are great (def and regen) and to be honest ive never find myself alone on OHT portal...

The genie is a lil issue in OVS...That's cuz when you mass AOE you'll have to built a method.

What i mean is you can just use 1 genie skill while killing cuz of the slow energy regeneration of the genie. So you either use Tangling mire to fasten the kills or use ToP to cover your ***...

Tangling mire works wonder with Armageddon, but after that you'll find yourself with 1/2 HP, and if you havent done the things right you may get some trouble in there...Thats why you need a good pattern. Sunder and food will help you there tho.

ToP is the best thing you could use IMO (for a charmless oriented run) cuz it works wonder both with Armageddon and with your survival, which is the most important thing.

There's even cloud eruption to use but it would be silly to use it while killing, cuz of bestial rage. If your really chi empty then use it before gathering, kill something or start bestial rage as soon as you start the lure so when you stop to kill it's already ready to use.

I dont remember now the genie i have to grind in OVS, but it should be like this:

ToP, Tangling Mire, Cloud Eruption, Holy Path

more skills are welcome ofc b:chuckle

just my 2cents, hope they were usefull b:kiss
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

>RETIRED<
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    Options
    well my point is when i grind there i bestail rage, tripple spark, surf impact, sunder, surf impact, that kills about 80% of the mobs, 15 of the reaming percent die in 5 more seconds from sunder DOT, and the remaining mobs all have either increase def or increased life. and those stupid mobs that ran away and then ran back for some absurd reason.

its those increased stat mobs im hopeing mire will let me kill.
  • Esteven - Heavens Tear
    Esteven - Heavens Tear Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I guess I'm diff, I don't hp pot or sunder and still get the job done easy. Gather (throw in a roar midway to keep them from reseting) beastial rage, triple spark, surf, firestorm, swell, slam, and surf again if needed. Pick up all the loot and by then the natural regen has me to at least human health to pull again. No real need to get to full hp in tiger if you are going to jump into human form anyway. Rinse and repeat.
  • Baalbak - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    Options
    on the note of ToP vs Tangling Mire when using armageddon uncharmed..

from my own experience testing the differences on a genie with 85 str and 3 dex:

the HP boost from ToP gives me more HP to base my armageddon damage from = harder hits + when timed properly, full health afterwards

tangling mire lvl 10 with 85 str = 50% armor break = harder hit than without, but less than by using ToP to boost your max hp to work with. hp will be at 50% or less without a charm, but your other attacks will hit harder. however you may have to repot your hp if things go wrong (such as you get sealed before you can manage to kill most of the mobs).

TM can possibly be a better choice if charmed or if you have blood paint on, since all your attacks will deal more damage during its duration.

---

I always go in uncharmed and only self buffed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Retired..
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    Options
    well i met a rank 9 barb from Eq today and i watched him. i learned that if you roar halfway u can prevent the mobs from getting reset. i also learned that bloodpaint make life easy when grinding there.

it was scary to see a sage barb 1 shot all the mob with sunder XD
    (course he had a +10 rank 9 wep)

but still.... scary

i mean imagine a demon barb with rank 9 and demon sunder when its a guaranteed crit b:shocked.

hell i can already almost 1 shot the mobs with my +3 tt 90 when i get a crit on tripple sparked sunder.
    but that was just scary to watch