Secret Diary of a Callgir- Newbie Cleric

Options
ihera
ihera Posts: 11 Arc User
edited February 2011 in Cleric
Riiiight. I reached level 40 lately, and my heals are generally pretty good- they keep the tank alive, anyway. I haven't put anything on seals, and do die occasionally cos I'm only putting vit in every five levels.

My problem is that I tend to go and run out of quests before I level, and even the slightest death takes a while to rectify.

Sooooo, mes amies, I'm currently grinding on fishies beneath the sea, such as Giant Piranhas, Bigmouth Piranhas and Vampiric Thresher Lords for about 0.2% of EXP a kill. 0.3% if I kill Sacrificial Assault variants, 0.4% if I kill any other increased stat variants, and 0.1% if I kill the weak kind.

I'm wondering is this a decent grinding spot? I don't get aggroed often, and if I do, IH helps, but is there anywhere I can grind for better EXP without a massive risk of dying more than necessary? Thanks in advance for responding and or reading. You rock.
Post edited by ihera on

Comments

• Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    at lvl 40 BH helps , BH 29 is easy to do and + u can dump the EXP to ur genies , take the spirit and lvl ur skills ( that's what i did anyway ). As for decent spots , any1 wood mobs that do stacking dmg , Vipions above 3 main cities for example are ncie things to kill for drops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Fishys and flying mobs are indeed awesome grind targets, as they give alot more exp than land mobs.

But you being a cleric, your attacks do metal dmg. Wood element mobs have weak defences against metal.
    You may wanna look for wood element mobs instead of fishys (which are water).
    If I'm not mistaken, most flying mobs are wood element.

Also while in the air, you can drop down to the ground to get away from the mob fast, incase you need to run. Something you can't do in the water
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Ankiel - Raging Tide
    Ankiel - Raging Tide Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i would keep to the piranhas, as if i remember correctly, they have a nice drop rate for rough fur, which is always a nice bonus
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The vipions above Swiftwinds and Sumor (aggro, cast poison DoT and manadrain at range), the araneids west of Swiftwinds (non-aggro, cast poison at range, mixed in with aggro cats) and the two types of flowers in that area (one south and east of Swiftwinds, the other north and west of Sumor) are all viable grind targets for level ~40 clerics, with low risk of death. Though with the Goshiki quest string available to you at 40 which can get you to 45 in an hour, and BH available to get you most of the rest of the way to 51 (and the next part of the Goshiki string) in just a few days, you're likely to be backlogged on quests unless you feed XP to your genie and try to max your skills.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • Vorken - Archosaur
    Vorken - Archosaur Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    If you are level 40:
    a) Start doing the Goshiki Quest Chain (http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=623592 ). The first section will give you 5 levels.
    b) Starting doing BHs. Even better, start stacking BHs.
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You get new quests every time you level so at 41 you will get some new ones and don't forget to use quest finder.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver
    PotatoHeadQR - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,507 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    he he yeah, i did fishes and the vipions on my psy. i thought that bh starts at 50 xd
    so now, i always get lost in SP and ppl might think i'm a noob b:chuckle

OP, goshiki quests and bh.

on the other hand, if u want to grind, pwidatabase lists the exp/mob, wood mobs will be good

something i did: when i had to go from place A to B (flying) and i didnt want/ couldnt go afk, i grinded while flying to my destination.
    you only purge once #yopo
  • Sagien - Lost City
    Sagien - Lost City Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    If you are level 40:
    a) Start doing the Goshiki Quest Chain (http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=623592 ). The first section will give you 5 levels.
    b) Starting doing BHs. Even better, start stacking BHs.

I recommend NOT doing it until level 50 .. because BH39 is much more a pain the BH29.

Also, what heal are you using. I hope you aren't using blessed of the purehearted. Because that is a worthless skill. IH is your main, wellspring is your backup.

Seal wise, I have all my seals and will use phys and mag seal (depending who we have more of in squad) just to make the time go faster due to lowering a bosses defense, however, it's not required. Just a cute little feature you can do on the side (at least at lower levels) the chromatic seal is nice cause you can freeze mobs and run (like all them exploding ones in 39 b:chuckle)

At level 40, it is cheaper to do Oracles for the wicked pirates over doing hypers if you were considering that. (use lifepowder or have a friend cleric heal you) and make up the lost exp that way. They're only like 20-25k each from players. Grinding in the air is my preferred, there are vipons right over the are where the wicked pirates are and that's where I did some grinding. But any time you grind in the air or water you get x1.5 exp versus fighting on the ground.

And just so you know... pure cleric is the recommended way to go. I have 5 vit and that's it. And I survive just fine. You heal more and hit harder with a pure build (mag does effect your healing abilities) And just so you know a duel between Pure Cleric VS Vit Cleric = Pure Cleric Wins because you hit twice as hard.

I know I hit a friend with level 8 plume shot for 800. She hit me with level 10 plume for 500. She was vit, I was pure. Within two shots, I basically gained a whole attack over her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mightily - Dreamweaver
    Mightily - Dreamweaver Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I recommend NOT doing it until level 50 .. because BH39 is much more a pain the BH29.

Don't do it because it's easier? I'm confused. And you tell them to buy Oracles, because they're cheap? How is doing Oracle II cheaper than doing BH29, in terms of coins? Could you elaborate your reasoning a little more, because you're seeming more than a bit contradictory.
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Don't do it because it's easier? I'm confused. And you tell them to buy Oracles, because they're cheap? How is doing Oracle II cheaper than doing BH29, in terms of coins? Could you elaborate your reasoning a little more, because you're seeming more than a bit contradictory.

First of all , BURN THE ORACLES b:angry , seriously ur coin can be spent for skills .
    I think he means leave the goshiki chain fr the 5xs , because BH 29 is easy to do = lvling is easier. BH 39 ( which u get at 50-59) is a bit harder to get a squad for, so at that time , doing the TB chain quest can lvl u faster.

As a personal advice , i always say to people to complete their quests first , before they do BH or TB . Quests give exp / spirit / coin / reputation , and help u understand the strong points of ur character as well as ur weaknesses. After u finish all of them , ( if u havent lvled yet ) do the heavy exp giving quests.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Mightily - Dreamweaver
    Mightily - Dreamweaver Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I think he means leave the goshiki chain fr the 5xs , because BH 29 is easy to do = lvling is easier.

Ah yes, that makes a little more sense.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ihera wrote: »
    Riiiight. I reached level 40 lately, and my heals are generally pretty

My problem is that I tend to go and run out of quests before I level, and even the slightest death takes a while to rectify.
    Your doing it wrong.

You should be OVERWHELMED with quests until your about 60. When your in the 40s you should be scrambling to keep up with getting all the quests because you level faster than you can finish them all (this is back in 2008-2009), even moreso now because of the daily bounty hunter quests (2010-2011).

that or your dying so many times in one day that not even your BH quests and normal quests cant keep your exp up..............ive never heard of such a situation but if thats so, you need to start another class in all seriousness
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Sthenith - Dreamweaver
    Sthenith - Dreamweaver Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I never used Hypers on my cleric with the exception of 1x on AoEing butterflies (lvl 80). And the only oracles i used were those you get for free at one point (2 books i think).

Still, up until now i NEVER run out of quests (lvl 95+), hell, i can't even do em all, would take me a week to finish em all playing all day long.

If you run out of quests by the time you're 40, you're indeed doing something wrong. IF that is the case, try this : keep GRINDING on the same mob you have a quest for and you feel comfortable killing.

For example : if you need to kill magic mobs that don't hurt you that much and which you can kill reasonnably fast (for a quest), keep killing them for a few hours instead of moving on to the next quest.

Not only do you gain exp, you "move up" your quests to a higher lvl, meaning you should kill them more easily AND have quests left over.

Also, once you hit 40+, try running the cube of Fate.

http://pwi-wiki.perfectworld.com/index.php/Cube_of_Fate

you get 220K exp at lvl 40+, and this my friend is worth several quests.... read the "guide" above (write pointers down for easy following), and go do that. Even if you die 4x in there, it's worth it since you do NOT lose exp.

AND : by doing the cube you learn to do it. Once you hit lvl 90 : it's 1 mill exp....every single day. And that is worth a LOT of quests.

p.s. : forget about the BS about recommended lvl 70. that's only valid when you run into pk rooms...and even then you don't always get those or get pk'd.
  • Evonmin - Raging Tide
    Evonmin - Raging Tide Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    What I do when I ran out of quest?....I do the one-man army quest instead of pure grind.

You are grinding on mobs at the same time gain rep pts and collecting drops from them gives money.

AT lv 71 now, I already have 13376 rep pts :D