Tanking advice.

Options
AellaAsteria - Archosaur
AellaAsteria - Archosaur Posts: 40 Arc User
edited February 2011 in Blademaster
My Blademaster is 26 now, and I know that once I start doing BH39 and higher, I may occasionally be the tank if a Barb can't be found. I'm wondering though if anyone can give some advice on how an axe Blademaster can semi-easily hold aggro. Am I just going to be spamming my strongest skills to try to out DD others? Will throwing Stream Strike (still level 1 because it is pretty much useless) into the mix every so often do any good to increase my aggro more than just doing DD with skill spamming?

Note, I am not going to go fist/claw. I know it is easier to keep aggro by just auto attacking with fists and sparking, but I am going axe for the extra Vit I can put in, as well as to get away from the spark>auto I do all the time on my Assassin. I also know I can use Alpha Male to get aggro, but I'd rather avoid using up my genie's stamina so quickly, as well as keep some energy in case I need to use Second Wind.
Post edited by AellaAsteria - Archosaur on

Comments

• TheDan - Sanctuary
    TheDan - Sanctuary Posts: 3,495 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You can't possibly expect to hold aggro being full vit axe build without any damage. Stream strike does not pull aggro like flesh ream would on a barb.

Only barbs are meant to hold aggro at the lower levels being full vit.
    BM PvP Guide: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1320761

YouTube channels: youtube.com/TheDan912 and youtube.com/TheDanPWI
  • Fewry - Dreamweaver
    Fewry - Dreamweaver Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    your only hope is to have the others hold back on their attacks (timed) so you can build aggro, but if u bh with any fish or moderatly higher leveled players than yourself, you have no chance of holing that aggro... been there tried that failedb:cry
  • AellaAsteria - Archosaur
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I've done several BH's in 5x levels where an axe Blademaster was tanking and holding aggro, granted I was also holding back on my Assassin because I would easily steal aggro. I know that Stream Strike does not have an aggro effect nearly as good as Flesh Ream. I'm not asking if it does as good or better, because I know it's no where close, and it is not what I asked to begin with. What I asked is if it would pull more aggro than one of my main skills, such as Drake's Bash when I get it.

Can a Blademaster hold aggro at lower-mid levels? Yes, I've seen it done. Obviously all the DD's have to hold back, but I'm already aware of that. I'm asking what is the most effective ways to hold aggro when I will have to tank because a Barb can't be found. I will of course tell them to wait till the boss is at xx% HP just to be safe, but I want to make sure I can hold aggro when I need to so that I may keep the squad alive.

I can appreciate you giving your opinion on this, but I'm not asking if I should tank or not, or if I can hold aggro against a squad of DD's going all out. I'm asking what the most effective way to hold aggro. If it would work better for you to answer, then I'll ask what is the most effective way to maximize my aggro.
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Stream strike is nearly worthless, even at level 10. It also eats through chi at 30 chi per cast, eliminating the potential of sparking for more damage or using higher damage skills like Drake Bash. At 1.2 seconds a cast it's only slightly better than just auto attacking.

Alpha Male resets aggro, plus gives a tiny bit of aggro. Barbs use it then start spamming Flesh Ream, but as a bm if you have already lost aggro once you had a head start then reseting aggro isn't really going to do much good.

Stream Strike is basically our only aggro skill and basically worthless so BMs tank with damage ouput. Vit/Axe BMs have the lowest damage output of almost any standard build and class except vit barbs. My cleric could pull aggro from most axe BMs.

The tank build for BMs is a fist build with high strength. Namely 3str/2dex build. Vit/Axe BMs have their strong points, namely aoeing, stun locking, and endgame pvp, but tanking isn't one of them. The only way an axe bm tank is if everyone else in their squad has died. Most squads will not wait for you to solo a boss down to 1/2 health so they can avoid over aggroing.

Also, anytime you ask a fish to hold back you are slightly lowering their survivability because the more DD they do the more hp they get returned. For this reason fish often over aggro simply to keep themselves alive from aoes or random aggro.

So, the most effective way to maximize your aggro is increase your dps. Highland cleave cd is 6 seconds, Drake Bash cd is 15, and Fissure is 8 seconds. Put Stream Strike in the middle to fill cd time and for extra dd/aggro. Have someone feed you chi, or use genie/pots for more chi. Using your HF normally would be a good thing but would only cause you to lose aggro. Fan of Flames cast time is only 1 second so is quicker than auto attack and has bonus dmg. Use that when you can. Same with Drake's Ray. Be prepared to dump mana pots like crazy. Get a good headstart and ask no one to debuff the boss because that will help real DDs more than it'd help skill spamming vit/axe bms. Your BHs may take forever.

Or, stat for fists. I could tank every BH I had with base vitality until level 80, then I needed two clerics to tank pole safely, then again no problem through the 90's. You'll prolly want to restat for fists around level 80 anyways to find squads because alot of squads don't want axe bm because they don't help the squad as much as other classes.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Stream strike is nearly worthless, even at level 10. It also eats through chi at 30 chi per cast, eliminating the potential of sparking for more damage or using higher damage skills like Drake Bash. At 1.2 seconds a cast it's only slightly better than just auto attacking.

Alpha Male resets aggro, plus gives a tiny bit of aggro. Barbs use it then start spamming Flesh Ream, but as a bm if you have already lost aggro once you had a head start then reseting aggro isn't really going to do much good.

Stream Strike is basically our only aggro skill and basically worthless so BMs tank with damage ouput. Vit/Axe BMs have the lowest damage output of almost any standard build and class except vit barbs. My cleric could pull aggro from most axe BMs.

The tank build for BMs is a fist build with high strength. Namely 3str/2dex build. Vit/Axe BMs have their strong points, namely aoeing, stun locking, and endgame pvp, but tanking isn't one of them. The only way an axe bm tank is if everyone else in their squad has died. Most squads will not wait for you to solo a boss down to 1/2 health so they can avoid over aggroing.

Also, anytime you ask a fish to hold back you are slightly lowering their survivability because the more DD they do the more hp they get returned. For this reason fish often over aggro simply to keep themselves alive from aoes or random aggro.

So, the most effective way to maximize your aggro is increase your dps. Highland cleave cd is 6 seconds, Drake Bash cd is 15, and Fissure is 8 seconds. Put Stream Strike in the middle to fill cd time and for extra dd/aggro. Have someone feed you chi, or use genie/pots for more chi. Using your HF normally would be a good thing but would only cause you to lose aggro. Fan of Flames cast time is only 1 second so is quicker than auto attack and has bonus dmg. Use that when you can. Same with Drake's Ray. Be prepared to dump mana pots like crazy. Get a good headstart and ask no one to debuff the boss because that will help real DDs more than it'd help skill spamming vit/axe bms. Your BHs may take forever.

Or, stat for fists. I could tank every BH I had with base vitality until level 80, then I needed two clerics to tank pole safely, then again no problem through the 90's. You'll prolly want to restat for fists around level 80 anyways to find squads because alot of squads don't want axe bm because they don't help the squad as much as other classes.

Thank you for actually answering the question.

I probably will get my Dex to near 120 just so I can use Annihilators on bosses to get sparks for HF, but I will stick to axe build just because if I want to DPS, I'll just go on my Assassin. I may change my mind, but getting full interval gear for one character will be enough for me.

As for Assassins, having played one, you don't use your daggers when you have a Blademaster tanking unless he is -interval and is a higher level than you. The bosses that AoE in BH's all deal damage based on distance, so as long as they use their bow, they will be fairly safe.

I know it's going to be hard to tank, but that is why I am only going to do it if there isn't a Barb at all that can be found for it. Thanks for the advice as well on Alpha, I did not know it reset aggro, I've mostly only used it on my Assassin as a way to save the Cleric when it has a bunch of mobs chasing it, and no one is able to save it aside from me, and as a Cleric when the Barb died and all that was left were squishy classes. At least with Wings and Plume, I can survive several hits.

Anyways, thanks again for answering the question. b:victory
  • ArchSaber - Sanctuary
    ArchSaber - Sanctuary Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    If you actually max out Stream Strike, then I am speechless.

Eventually you will go fist. I have seen the future.
    AP classes are a real butt pounding...
    edited February 2011
    Options
    If you actually max out Stream Strike, then I am speechless.

I have never had any intention of leveling it at all, and just leaving it at 1. Unlike some people in these forums, I actually read the guides and found that neither recommends it, as well as it does not increase aggro gain with additional levels.
    Eventually you will go fist. I have seen the future.

Going Sage, so no need to go fists. I know it will make it next to impossible to find Nirvana squads and will make it so I can't go 5 APS, but honestly, I don't really care to go 5 APS on my Blademaster. I just want something completely different from my Assassin to hit mobs with. I will of course get at least Annihilator fists just for the extra DPS on bosses and to get chi quickly for HF, but otherwise I will just ignore them.

So, your prediction is only partially true, and what is true you could already tell from my posts above. You are a Blademaster, not a Psychic, SO DON'T FORCE YOUR PRECOGNITIVE SKILLS ON ME! b:laugh
  • Mythsoul - Heavens Tear
    Mythsoul - Heavens Tear Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    My Blademaster is 26 now, and I know that once I start doing BH39 and higher, I may occasionally be the tank if a Barb can't be found. I'm wondering though if anyone can give some advice on how an axe Blademaster can semi-easily hold aggro. Am I just going to be spamming my strongest skills to try to out DD others? Will throwing Stream Strike (still level 1 because it is pretty much useless) into the mix every so often do any good to increase my aggro more than just doing DD with skill spamming?

Note, I am not going to go fist/claw. I know it is easier to keep aggro by just auto attacking with fists and sparking, but I am going axe for the extra Vit I can put in, as well as to get away from the spark>auto I do all the time on my Assassin. I also know I can use Alpha Male to get aggro, but I'd rather avoid using up my genie's stamina so quickly, as well as keep some energy in case I need to use Second Wind.

Get fists, that's the only way. You can still have vit with axes as it is easy to get dex from gear. b:pleased
    All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.
  • Kaste - Sanctuary
    Kaste - Sanctuary Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Even a single sword would deal nice dps on single target PvE, if you are so against fists. TT70 single sword has the "Quicken" proc on it, making it potentially nice to DD with, if you won't go with fists. One thing you have to know as a BM tank though:
    Your agro is based on your damage. There is NO WAY you will be able to tank something instantly. You will always need to tank the boss alone for a few seconds. Having an Archer or Wizard in squad, will result in agro loss and death if they attack to early.
    Feel free to PM me for help.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mistress Myra forced me to use her sigpic ↑
    With PWI since Dec 21st '08
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=922912
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Get fists, that's the only way. You can still have vit with axes as it is easy to get dex from gear. b:pleased

At 80, I plan to have enough Dex with gears to use Annihilators. My gear will look something like this with any luck, making it fairly easy to find gears to make up the rest of the Dex I need for it. If I find enough, I'll be replacing the chest with TT80. Of course I will be sharding it with Flawless Citrines and refining all of my gear to +2 at least, but I'm too lazy to add those in there.

Kaste, it's not that I'm against fists. I just simply want a different experience from the spark>auto that I do on my Assassin.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    Joshcja - Sanctuary Posts: 3,502 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=e1f5625a9121eebd <- level 80 tank build that actually works

tt 80 gold chest costs less than a mill after a 2x event. you still have enough str for calams (best axes in game till 90 with massive hp adds to make you happy) rest of the gear is all 500k-2mill (just scanned ah and picked 2 3*'s i saw) with the exeption of bracers of blood moon....these will cost you about 10-15 mill but you can always use a set of -.05 bracers (tt 80 gold ora cheap 3*) still has more than enough hp to tank and has almost 2.5x more dps than your old build for aggro
    Gifs are hard to make work here
    edited February 2011
    Options
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=e1f5625a9121eebd <- level 80 tank build that actually works

tt 80 gold chest costs less than a mill after a 2x event. you still have enough str for calams (best axes in game till 90 with massive hp adds to make you happy) rest of the gear is all 500k-2mill (just scanned ah and picked 2 3*'s i saw) with the exeption of bracers of blood moon....these will cost you about 10-15 mill but you can always use a set of -.05 bracers (tt 80 gold ora cheap 3*) still has more than enough hp to tank and has almost 2.5x more dps than your old build for aggro

I guess I should have made it clearer. I'm going with the gear in the one I made because I'm looking to get the Annihilator fists for DPS only on bosses such as in TT and FC, so that I may do a little more damage while getting HF faster. I'm trying to keep the minimal amount of Dex possible to still be able to use them. I'm not looking to use fists except when doing DPS on bosses, and then I only plan to do so at 80+. Yes, I know it is much harder on the bosses I might be tanking to keep aggro with axes. I know fists are easier, but I am not looking to have an HA version of my Assassin, I'm looking for a different play style, hence axe/hammer build.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I guess I should have made it clearer. I'm going with the gear in the one I made because I'm looking to get the Annihilator fists for DPS only on bosses such as in TT and FC, so that I may do a little more damage while getting HF faster. I'm trying to keep the minimal amount of Dex possible to still be able to use them. I'm not looking to use fists except when doing DPS on bosses, and then I only plan to do so at 80+. Yes, I know it is much harder on the bosses I might be tanking to keep aggro with axes. I know fists are easier, but I am not looking to have an HA version of my Assassin, I'm looking for a different play style, hence axe/hammer build.

your kinda slow arent you?

"hey i want to use fists to do high damage per second on bosses but i dont want to do high DPS"

really?

if you want vit axe go full vit and run around with 8k hp

if you want to DPS and tank go min stat for the best weapons you can get and dump the rest to vit

gimping yourself because "well it feels like playing a sin" is almost as bad as odessawolfs LA "challenge" build
    edited February 2011
    Options

"hey i want to use fists to do high damage per second on bosses but i dont want to do high DPS"

really?

if you want vit axe go full vit and run around with 8k hp

if you want to DPS and tank go min stat for the best weapons you can get and dump the rest to vit

gimping yourself because "well it feels like playing a sin" is almost as bad as odessawolfs LA "challenge" build

No, you simply didn't understand. By using fists on bosses, I am able to get sparks for HF faster to make the boss go down quicker. In turn, I happen to get more DPS from it as well. I'm doing that because it will make things easier for the squad. Regardless of which order I put them in, higher DPS or getting HF faster, the point is I am keeping a focus on axes, not fists, and plan to keep it that way. If I wanted to go for 5 APS, then I would go for fists. However, I don't plan on trying for it.

When you are in a squad, you do what is best for everyone, not yourself. While it slows down an Assassin's DPS, you should always keep Rib Strike up on a boss so that the boss hits less often, making healing easier for the Cleric and repairs less for the Barb. You do not stop in the middle of a dungeon as a Cleric and say, "wait, I need to meditate to recover MP." You use pots and get moving. As a Blademaster, you should be using HF whenever you can to increase the squad's DPS. I do the same with Subsea on my Assassin, partially to help keep my aggro low enough to not steal from the Barb, as well as to make everyone else do higher damage. HF and Subsea work very well together after all.

I want to use axes because it is something different. I don't want to go play the same basic gameplay again with a different class and weapon. I want a new experience from it, so I am going with axe/hammer. I'm not stupid enough to not realize though that at times I will have to put what I want aside and do what is best for everyone. However, seeing as it will probably take me until about level 80 to get the necessary gears with good enough stats to use Annihilators and still maintain my build, for the most part.

Honestly at end-game, with the build and gear I plan to get, I'll still be able to use both Nirvana fists and axes with 100 or more base Vit. I'll have the option of using fists or axes still, and have just as good of a selection of both. Obviously, any Blademaster will want to be able to use all weapons, and I will be able to at end-game, so I'm obviously not gimping myself, just going about getting there in a different way.

Also, last I checked, a person was allowed to play a character the way they want, regardless of whether you like it or not. Personally, I don't agree with Odessa's goals either, but she wants to do it, so let her do it in peace and hope she makes it work well. Instead of attempting to tell me what I should do, how about just answering the topic question?

I've already asked, in a revised version, how to maximize aggro. Several people in here have already answered the question for me though, so unless your input, while staying on topic and within its constraints, will be any different, I think now would be a good time for me to say thanks for your suggestions, but it is not what I am looking for. Had you been one of the first few people to answer, I could understand. However, I have been saying throughout this thread that I am sticking to axes. Telling me to go grab a pair of fists/claws and DPS the **** out of a boss does not answer the question except to regurgitate what others have said, which I have repeatedly said is not what I want to do.

Quite honestly, I could make a pretty mean remark about this towards you. However, unlike others who would take what you are saying in offense, I am assuming you are trying to help me. So, no, I am not slow, I simply am trying things a different way than you (and many others) would, and people don't seem to understand that, or understand why.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Options
    No, you simply didn't understand. By using fists on bosses, I am able to get sparks for HF faster to make the boss go down quicker. In turn, I happen to get more DPS from it as well. I'm doing that because it will make things easier for the squad. Regardless of which order I put them in, higher DPS or getting HF faster, the point is I am keeping a focus on axes, not fists, and plan to keep it that way. If I wanted to go for 5 APS, then I would go for fists. However, I don't plan on trying for it.

When you are in a squad, you do what is best for everyone, not yourself. While it slows down an Assassin's DPS, you should always keep Rib Strike up on a boss so that the boss hits less often, making healing easier for the Cleric and repairs less for the Barb. You do not stop in the middle of a dungeon as a Cleric and say, "wait, I need to meditate to recover MP." You use pots and get moving. As a Blademaster, you should be using HF whenever you can to increase the squad's DPS. I do the same with Subsea on my Assassin, partially to help keep my aggro low enough to not steal from the Barb, as well as to make everyone else do higher damage. HF and Subsea work very well together after all.

I want to use axes because it is something different. I don't want to go play the same basic gameplay again with a different class and weapon. I want a new experience from it, so I am going with axe/hammer. I'm not stupid enough to not realize though that at times I will have to put what I want aside and do what is best for everyone. However, seeing as it will probably take me until about level 80 to get the necessary gears with good enough stats to use Annihilators and still maintain my build, for the most part.

Honestly at end-game, with the build and gear I plan to get, I'll still be able to use both Nirvana fists and axes with 100 or more base Vit. I'll have the option of using fists or axes still, and have just as good of a selection of both. Obviously, any Blademaster will want to be able to use all weapons, and I will be able to at end-game, so I'm obviously not gimping myself, just going about getting there in a different way.

Also, last I checked, a person was allowed to play a character the way they want, regardless of whether you like it or not. Personally, I don't agree with Odessa's goals either, but she wants to do it, so let her do it in peace and hope she makes it work well. Instead of attempting to tell me what I should do, how about just answering the topic question?

I've already asked, in a revised version, how to maximize aggro. Several people in here have already answered the question for me though, so unless your input, while staying on topic and within its constraints, will be any different, I think now would be a good time for me to say thanks for your suggestions, but it is not what I am looking for. Had you been one of the first few people to answer, I could understand. However, I have been saying throughout this thread that I am sticking to axes. Telling me to go grab a pair of fists/claws and DPS the **** out of a boss does not answer the question except to regurgitate what others have said, which I have repeatedly said is not what I want to do.

Quite honestly, I could make a pretty mean remark about this towards you. However, unlike others who would take what you are saying in offense, I am assuming you are trying to help me. So, no, I am not slow, I simply am trying things a different way than you (and many others) would, and people don't seem to understand that, or understand why.

and not doign the most damage you can and holding the most aggro because you want to play a different way is not puttign the squad first

no my 1st post was helpfull now i'm just mocking you openly for beign an idiot, special bm is special
  • Kaste - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Options
    and not doign the most damage you can and holding the most aggro because you want to play a different way is not puttign the squad first

no my 1st post was helpfull now i'm just mocking you openly for beign an idiot, special bm is special

Chill Josh, she (or probably he) is playing on Arch. That explains everything. . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    *sigh* Why is it that you always have to argue with people who know the most to get some info out of them?

No offence, Josh...
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Joshcja - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Options
    because it amuses me why else?
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    By using fists on bosses, I am able to get sparks for HF faster to make the boss go down quicker. In turn, I happen to get more DPS from it as well.

^^This is a fist BM^^

Also, if your goal is a vit build that uses axes, are you opposed to just making a barb? That's different from a sin.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
    edited February 2011
    Options

You obviously just don't get it then. I'm asking for advice on tanking with axes because with the build I am doing, I won't be using fists until 80+. I can't very well put Vit in as much as I want if I am going to use fists from the start can I? Not to mention that at the level I was when I started this character, I would have either had to start using fists 20 levels lower, or I would have to work on building Dex back up to the point I could use them, putting myself to using axes of a lower level. Even after several levels, the only way I can use fists and axes of the same level is if I were to have a lot of +Str or +Dex gear, or buy a reset scroll, take back all of my Vit, and go with a 3 Str, 2 Dex build.

However, none of those options work with the build I am making for this char. You apparently just don't get it that some people will do things a different way than you. Instead of answering the question, you take it off the rail and into another direction. So, I'm guessing it means either you don't know how to tank as an axe Blademaster (my guess), or you are part of this new generation of players who think every has to use fists. In the not so distant past, fists used to be considered fail you know. Blademasters still tanked with axes back then, and still do today. After all, I've seen an axe Blademaster tank everything in FC even with a couple Assassins sparking like crazy. However, now I'm going off on a tangent.

Your first post was helpful, for a person planning to use fists from the start and axes later. What you don't get is I am building this character the opposite of that. Now though, all you are doing is leading me to believe how much of an idiot you are, so much so that you got up to your level without ever learning to tank without fists, or that it could be done. So, it seems since you couldn't answer the question, you must just be one of the newer generation of players who thinks fists are the only way for a Blademaster to go. People like you make me wish I could go back to 2008, when you could have any of the weapon builds and people wouldn't tell you what you have to do. Well, most people that is.

Since you wish to attempt a mockery, please do. If you wish to actually be helpful, then do so. Either way is fine with me, I love a good troll now and then, helps me refine and learn new trolling skills myself.

By the way...

A slow person wouldn't realize that if a person says he/she is going with an axe build and using some lower fists at level 80+, that person is doing that, especially when he/she is 40+ already.

So now, Josh, it's time to get you trolling.

Ready...
    Set...
    TROLL! b:angry

And Saku, I've tried Barb, I just can't get into it. I've made at least 20 different Barbs, but yet I always delete them because I just get bored with them so quickly, and the same with Wizards. It might take a while longer still to get into them now considering the new classes are coming out, and after I get this character to 60+ I will be working on a Mystic.

Chill Josh, she (or probably he) is playing on Arch. That explains everything. . .

Sorry, I almost forgot about you Kaste. I'm originally from Lost City server, back when BLT and CQ were making their drama over WC and BLT being pissed off because CQ was landlocking them in the south. Every time there is a new server, I move to it because it is a fresh start, and there is nothing more fun than starting from scratch and getting back all those items the old fashion way, rather than just trading stuff on one server for stuff on another.
  • Kaste - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Options
    But if you restarted your BM over, and over again, you should know, that a BM can not tank with axes. Neither can he with VIT. You NEED Fists to tank, if you go demon + fists, HF in not necessary anymore. Axes are actually made for thrashing mobs and PvP, not tanking. If you want to tank with axes, roll a barb.

/kthxbaiclosenoobthreadgeez b:bye
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
    edited February 2011
    Options
    But if you restarted your BM over, and over again, you should know, that a BM can not tank with axes. Neither can he with VIT. You NEED Fists to tank, if you go demon + fists, HF in not necessary anymore. Axes are actually made for thrashing mobs and PvP, not tanking. If you want to tank with axes, roll a barb.

/kthxbaiclosenoobthreadgeez b:bye

Hmm, if I remember right, I said I made several Barbs over and over, not Blademasters. The last Blademaster I played was, well, a long time ago, and it was a pole Blademaster at that.

/fail

And you obviously aren't too old a player either, since Blademasters tanked before for fist craze with axes, and as I said before, apparently still do.
  • AuroraLucia - Archosaur
    AuroraLucia - Archosaur Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'm surprised no one realized this is a troll by now. b:chuckle
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    However, none of those options work with the build I am making for this char. You apparently just don't get it that some people will do things a different way than you. Instead of answering the question, you take it off the rail and into another direction. So, I'm guessing it means either you don't know how to tank as an axe Blademaster (my guess), or you are part of this new generation of players who think every has to use fists. In the not so distant past, fists used to be considered fail you know. Blademasters still tanked with axes back then, and still do today. After all, I've seen an axe Blademaster tank everything in FC even with a couple Assassins sparking like crazy. However, now I'm going off on a tangent.

I was pure axe on my old BM till 90. I did tank quite a lot of stuff but I have to admit, it was serious waste of time. As long as everyone didn't go all out, it worked out somewhat fine. Back then everyone's gears sucked and there were no sins though... I can understand the "fun" of being an pure axe BM but I also do understand the hate towards it.

Red text: Only in PWI and (probably) in MY-EN. In China and ex-MS fists were always a decent choice and in fact, most people were all path BMs at endgame.
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
  • Taleon - Heavens Tear
    Taleon - Heavens Tear Posts: 392 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    As many have pointed out to you already, tanking with axes and/or vit is going to make it so the squad has to hold back. Yes, in the past some BMs where able to tank instances equal to today's BHs. But, with out the squad being able to go all out. It was a seldom case where you had a squad that could, unless severly under geared compared to the tanking BM.

With the fishes, this just made it more difficult. With Rank gear and weapons, this is going to make it more difficult. With packs and people far more able to min max their toons at earlier levels, this is going to make it more difficult.

Many people in the last few pages have tried to give you their opinion, but seems you would rather bash them for trying to point some things out to you. Troll if you like, say that you are an old school player, but if that is true, you should be one to be able to say that the BM class was much more a utility class back then in front of any sort of tank. They off tanked more then they ever tanked. They protected the squishes as their primary job, then added in utility like stuns and HF. A BM did not become any form of a tank till they used fists. Which at the time was deamed fail, and did not become normal style till after Anni packs.

Prior to packs, very few even knew about the capability of a BM tanking with fists. So, to answer your question completely kindly as you have asked people to do.
    If you want to tank as a BM axe/vit build, plan on tanking instances far below you. aka peoples FBs in faction. Find a way to out dmg the rest of your party. aka refine way above you should for gear that will be outleveled in a short amount of time. Or be prepared to ask your party to hold back while you build aggro.
    edited February 2011
    Options

Quiet you!b:quiet
  • Kaste - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Hmm, if I remember right, I said I made several Barbs over and over, not Blademasters. The last Blademaster I played was, well, a long time ago, and it was a pole Blademaster at that.

/fail

And you obviously aren't too old a player either, since Blademasters tanked before for fist craze with axes, and as I said before, apparently still do.

Too bad you can't read, else you would have noticed my join date in my sig. I do very well know that a BMs build WAS vit-axe to tank. I do very well know that fists WERE useless. My dear troll, things change and so does PWI. I remember the 100k gold times and I do remember the times where there was no BH/Hypers/Oracles/Fishes. I do remember how we leveled by doing FB19 over and over again. I do remember how every BM without axes + vit was fail, it was the only choice. I restatted my 63 VIT I had to DEX only a few weeks ago. I have a 79 BM alt that is still using the old build.

TRUE, this build used to be the ultimate BM build, NOW IT IS NOT. Why don't you simply accept the fact that a BM can only tank with fists, can only be good with all weapons and be as every other BM?
    If you can't do that, ok, fine. Do whatever. But don't come and spam the forums with your pointless bullcrap.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    youtube.com/user/kasPWI
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Too bad you can't read, else you would have noticed my join date in my sig. I do very well know that a BMs build WAS vit-axe to tank. I do very well know that fists WERE useless. My dear troll, things change and so does PWI. I remember the 100k gold times and I do remember the times where there was no BH/Hypers/Oracles/Fishes. I do remember how we leveled by doing FB19 over and over again. I do remember how every BM without axes + vit was fail, it was the only choice. I restatted my 63 VIT I had to DEX only a few weeks ago. I have a 79 BM alt that is still using the old build.

TRUE, this build used to be the ultimate BM build, NOW IT IS NOT. Why don't you simply accept the fact that a BM can only tank with fists, can only be good with all weapons and be as every other BM?
    If you can't do that, ok, fine. Do whatever. But don't come and spam the forums with your pointless bullcrap.

So, first you give two contrary statements, the first of which, though past tense, still applies to the present, and the second which says the first is false in the present. If it could tank then, it still can now. You phail at logic.

In a world where I do not actually get worse (as in affected by illness, age, etc.), only better, if I can do something in the past, I can do it in the present and future in the same situations. A Blademaster, which the class has only been improved (however little that may be), if it could tank in the past, it can tank in the present. Take a while to think about that, and while you are at it, in your next response to me, keep with what is relevant to what I say to you, not others, as well as do not mistake every time I say Blademaster as me saying Barb. b:chuckle

And, so long as a mod doesn't decide to close this thread, I do have the right to discuss (not spam) this thread. After all, I am not the one in here flaming. Okay, well maybe I did a few times, but they were well deserved if so.

P.S. If I say my join date is xxx, does that mean that it necessarily is? What if I'm lying? What if you are lying about yours? Just food for thought.
  • AuroraLucia - Archosaur
    AuroraLucia - Archosaur Posts: 279 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I warn them, yet they keep on feeding. And people wonder why trolls keep on trolling. Might as well enjoy the show.

*grabs popcorn*
  • Admante - Dreamweaver
    Admante - Dreamweaver Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    So, first you give two contrary statements, the first of which, though past tense, still applies to the present, and the second which says the first is false in the present. If it could tank then, it still can now. You phail at logic.

In a world where I do not actually get worse (as in affected by illness, age, etc.), only better, if I can do something in the past, I can do it in the present and future in the same situations. A Blademaster, which the class has only been improved (however little that may be), if it could tank in the past, it can tank in the present. Take a while to think about that, and while you are at it, in your next response to me, keep with what is relevant to what I say to you, not others, as well as do not mistake every time I say Blademaster as me saying Barb. b:chuckle

And, so long as a mod doesn't decide to close this thread, I do have the right to discuss (not spam) this thread. After all, I am not the one in here flaming. Okay, well maybe I did a few times, but they were well deserved if so.

P.S. If I say my join date is xxx, does that mean that it necessarily is? What if I'm lying? What if you are lying about yours? Just food for thought.

The point has already been made. Back then people's damage wasn't that great. Now it's through the roof. If you're going to try to tank with axes nowadays, you'll have to find people who can put up with the horrible waste of time first.

Axe dps = ****, which means DD chars have to keep their damage BELOW ****. What the hell is the point of you tanking if its faster to wait for a barb or a fist user before starting.
    In a world where I do not actually get worse (as in affected by illness, age, etc.), only better, if I can do something in the past, I can do it in the present and future in the same situations.
    The point, again, is that the situation isn't the same anymore.