Up to date overview on wizard class

Ursa - Dreamweaver
Ursa - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,634 Arc User
edited August 2011 in Wizard
EDIT: ON Hold until ppl stop fooling around with guides, lol

What this aims to be: an up to date overview on wizard class. This post, and the ones that will follow, will not give you tips about PvP or PvE tactics. There is enough information on those already, and the best thing you can do anyway is to try a lot and die a bunch until you figure out timings, skills efects, strengths and weaknesses.
This is aimed at the ones who want to have a good wizard at endgame. If you're playing PWI just for socializing and getting along with friends creating your little sandbox that's good. If you want to do something at server scale, you need to know some things. And at the moment, there is no coherent guides/topics that will teach you what you need to know.

No disrespect to any of the previous guides, they all have a lot of good advices in them but at the same time, those guides were written back when there were no Tideborns and except Seraphim's guide, back when there were no genies either. These two expansions completely changed the way this class needs to be played and the way this class needs to be built. I will intentionally leave out references to rank9 gear/weapon as of now, because everyone, their mother, cat and pet pig knows: rank9 is overpowered compared to anything else before it. There is just no competition.

What you , as newly spawned wizard in PWI, should know is: this class is only good in this game for two instances: Rebirth(RB) and Territory Wars(TW). This is the pure hard truth. Don't expect anyone to get you in squads for anything else in PvE, there are other classes that replace you there and do a much, much better job than you could ever do. Yeah, sounds stupid. Ask GMs why.

Another advice: don't roll this as your main class. NEVER. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ROLL A WIZARD AS YOUR FIRST OR MAIN CHAR ON PWI. You will regret it. This class is like a luxury wh*re: takes a lot of cash just to get a good one, and when you have it you find out that any "extra" stuff you want to do with it will cost you more and more cash. Don't laugh, that's the way it is.

What you should also know is that to be good in Rebirth takes some decent gear, but to be good in TW it takes quite an effort to acquire what it is basically the best possible gear available in game: weapon, ornaments, armors. Naysayers will flame this trying to prove (with words, not much else) that they are awesome wizards without the gear I will talk about. Yeah, some of them might be or were a while back. Since then, they all re-rolled a aps class and most of them never looked back.

The game starts from lvl 1 but you become a player when you hit 100. Up until then you're just another toon creating lag in PW. You don't count in any kind of PvP instance or open world PvP, and even if you try you're going to get your **** whooped like there's no tomorrow. The reason behind this statement? Well, rank8 gear is as widely available now as it was TT90 gear at the time of Seraphim's, Pandora and Dtone's time. The difference in damage/defenses between the two is sky high though. An year ago having a lvl 95 +10 refined lunar weapon was an extraordinary achievement. Now, a rank8 weapon at +5 refine will outdamage that lvl 95 +10 lunar, and rank8 comes with additional armor, pants, ring and belt. All these armor pieces are better than their TT counterparts, are basically at a fraction of the cost, and can be 4 sockets (takes 1 million coins to buy a piece of armor once a day, with a chance of getting 3 or 4 sockets) .

Because of this jump in overall stats at 100, everything below is pretty much irrelevant. There are a lot of opinions about how a char should be raised, but really, right now there is just no point of wasting time below lvl 100, because really, there is nothing there to do. Yes, you can do quests, grind solo, waste months and months to level up. What will this teach you? Well,maybe a few basic stuff on how to kite what skills to use. I'm not going to say that's useless, but what I'm going to say is whatever you learned in PvE questing won't help you much in PvP/TW. Things are happening on another scale in there.

First, as wizard , you need physical defense. There is a never ending discussion about what cultivation path you should choose as a wizard. Demon and Sage are both good. Some ppl will argue demon is better than sage, some the other way around. What always seems to pop up in these discussions are 2 skills: Earth Barrier and Black Ice Dragon Strike. Two awesome skills in the wizard's arsenal. The first gives advantage to demon, as it gives an increase of 150% pdef from the gear you already have. A sage wizard will have 120% increase only.

For ilustration purposes, I will add a few links

1. Unbuffed http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=d4ae6e022a798af7
2. Sage http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=df8e4caec94a8dab
3. Demon http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=f531a4af2315dbdb
4. Demon full buffed http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=cb4ad0ba1c89fcb0
5. Sage full buffed http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=b6b5eefbf90c0fad

As you can see, there is a 1% phys dmg reduction (77% sage, 78% demon) between the full buffed builds. Sure , the demon has the advantage self buffed, but in large scale PvP and RB the only places where a wizard still has its use the defense is pretty much the same, so it comes down to preference: have more chi as Sage wizard or more control skills as Demon.

The second thing you need as a wizard: damage. A ton of it. The more the better. Wizards are not a fast hitting class, well, not consistently fast hitting class. We can become one, but we have to trade defenses for it, and being already a low HP class wearing Arcane Armors, giving up on defense is not a good idea. So, damage. A lot of it, where do it get it?

1. Magic points
2. weapon
3. rings
4. refines
The general aim is to have 500 magic points at lvl 100. Why? Because all the + attk or mag attk bonuses you get from weapon and rings actually multiplies by 5.

Weapon : up to 100 use whatever cheapstake you can get. You will be leveling in frost and do some aditional questing, so you can live with whatever. At 100 you have the choice of a nirvana weapon or r8 weapon. Chose what you can afford, but R8 is on par with nirvana and about 5 times less expensive.

Rings : by 95 you need to acquire at least 1 lunar ring. I would say get 2, but for goodnes's sake, get at least one. Second ring can be the rank ring, but arguably the most benefits you will get out of the lunar one. Since we're talking to some extent about ornaments, Cube necklace and warsong belt are a must. Warsong belt can be replaced to some extent with OHT map4 belt, but that is only 95+ and still slightly worse than warsong. Plus, cube and warsong ornaments can be worn from lvl 80. A lot of benefits: HP, pdef, refine as you go up in lvl. The higher the refines on ornaments, the better our survivability. We have the highest bonuses ingame for pdef refines, so that should be a priority.

Refines : well, now we get o the bit.ching part of being a wizard. The higher the refine on weapon, the higher the dmg.

Sharding : at 100 a wizard sould have only one type of shards: HP. Refining your ornaments will give you enough pdef self buffed to survive a lot of **** thrown at you. Around 8k pdef self buffed having pdef shards in your gear is pretty much a bad investment. At around 8k HP, having HP shards in your equipment becomes actually a bad investment since having +2 def lvl shards will give you more benefits. Jurry is still out on this one and there are a lot of math related topics with our archer friends when and what is recomended. Trust me on thins one though: refine your ornaments as much as you can and shard your gear with HP for starters, you won't regret it.

Now to talk on facts, here's a build for a lvl 100 wizard:

http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=723b57f56e3942d4

4 pieces of gear refined to +10 and you'll say yeah, that's expensive. Exactly, but look at stats, it's self buffed. Full buffed, we can get to this:
http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=bb603013b3ef69c2

Don't get this and end all be all builds. As you can see pdef is sky high because of refined ornaments. Decrease the refines to +6/7 and you will still have over 11k pdef full buffed with a build that costs about 150 milion less. Put that cash into getting the weapon at +11 if you feel like it, or just into refining other pieces of gear for more HP.
Of course the above "standard" builds can be tweaked by restat to improve dex (for more crit).
"Prof" had posted one insane build if you look at the stats buffed - read his post for details here http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=12101372&postcount=8. This build is insanely expensive of course, and it's a wizard build on a 4 year span as he declares. The shards on the build however are not available at the moment in the PWI version of the game as of now. Whatever the Genesis expansion will bring is still to be seen.

At this point each can go build his wizard his way. Some prefer more pdef, some more hp, some just straight out more dmg. Either one of these paths are good, but you need to branch off for them from a common point. There is nothing good in having a +10 rank8 weapon with 7k pdef and 5k hp full buffed. Your no good to anyone. You can do damage, sure, but no one can do damage while dead. As I always say to my newbs in warsong squad when we do snake "Don't die. There's this simple concept: You can't do dmg while dead and we need to kill this boss fast". It's actually amazing how well things go if everyone tries to just survive before doing dmg, such a simple concept can be the diff between a wipe and a successful kill at snake.

References
This section is basically a pointer to "must read" stuff before you even think of rolling a wizard.

For a good overview of the class and for what I consider one of the best wizard guides written on this forum, check this http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=2846362&postcount=1 . The guide is a bit biased towards Demon wizards, but with good points. I had endless discussions with Seraphim (the author of the guide, at that time my guild master) about cultivation paths, pros and cons.

For a good description of the skills go here:
http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=1114851&postcount=2

A good overview of genie skills endgame mages use:
http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=992692
I hope the topic lives a long life because there is some pretty good info in it with some youtube support.

Suggestions/posts with stuff I could add would be welcome, credit will be given where due.

STILL IN THE WORKS, NEW ADDITIONS ARE ON THE WAY

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Ursa - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    reserved for future updates

~I listen to hardcore FIGHT songs when I visit the forum, just to get into the proper mood~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    another reservation

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur
    BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur Posts: 1,842 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    another reservation

ooooo, boy, in b4 all the lvl 95 wizards come tell their betters how wrong we all are.
    "And as for bragging, I don't need to brag. I am famous, yo. My accomplishments are legendary. I am BLOODMYSTIC, speaker of truth, bane of the Barbarians of Impulse, slayer of the **** of Narla, liberator of all the free peoples of the Archosaur server, former master propagandist for our leader in freedom, Proski, and Archtroll of the PWI Forums. And now? Amiable pve wizard, beloved by all, aka BLUEMYSTIC. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
  • Mizuoni - Dreamweaver
    Mizuoni - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,533 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    ooooo, boy, in b4 all the lvl 95 wizards come tell their betters how wrong we all are.

b:cryI'm not level 95
    Sins are Scissors. Psychics are Rocks.
    Archers, Venos, Barbs, Wizards, BMs, Mystics, Seekers are Paper.
    ...and Clerics are Mushrooms.
    Paper beats Rock. Scissors beats Paper. Scissors also happens to beat Rock...until Rock gets 50k+ soulforce at which point Rock becomes an unstoppable killing machine that beats Paper... and would beat Scissors but it can't find Scissors, because Scissors are invisible.
    So Scissors beat Paper and avoids Rock, and that is called BALANCE. -cheze
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    booo as you say it it looks like wizad sucks and its not worth rolling at all

im not gonna roll a wizard now!

70mil ence scar
    70mil rank8
    70mil heavenrage boots
    70mil cube necky
    60mil cloudcharger
    50mil warsong badge
    30mil lunar ring
    30mil lunar ring
    300mil scroll of tome <- a bit out of scale? - if my memory of prices is correct xd
    i like potato
  • HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver
    HarmOwnie - Dreamweaver Posts: 574 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    there are also some points in the other guids or common stereotypes about the wiz which are wrong and might misslead new wiz players:

a) wiz isnt the hardest hitting magical DD not in DPH and also not in DPS since psychics +att lvls from black voodoo give them more dmg and they are also faster.

b) wizards even if they in theory have the most powerfull AOEs are no AOE grinding class except you use your zhen skill Dragon's Breath with expel on your genie

c) wizards can 1 hit other squishies - most of the other endgame characters who you will meet will have high refined equipement which sharply reduces your magic dmg. So unless you crit you wont be able to oneshot any class and even then it's no guarantee that the wiz dmg is sufficient

greetz harm0wnie

PS: Hex you could also rephrase Ursas Words and say - unless you got the best possible stuff you will always lose because either your hp or def will be too low to be able to stand a chance
  • prof
    prof Posts: 1,111
    edited February 2011
    Sharding : at 100 a wizard sould have only one type of shards: HP. Refining your ornaments will give you enough pdef self buffed to survive a lot of **** thrown at you. Around 8k pdef self buffed having pdef shards in your gear is pretty much a bad investment. At around 8k HP, having HP shards in your equipment becomes actually a bad investment since having +2 def lvl shards will give you more benefits. Jurry is still out on this one and there are a lot of math related topics with our archer friends when and what is recomended. Trust me on thins one though: refine your orname

I disagree, but stones has been one of the biggest conflicts in the mage scene - right next to culti. yes, refining your accessories does benefit your defense greatly - it's still not enough, imo. in my time experimenting, I've never found full hp/vit stones to be enough defense to survive most of what gets thrown at mages, ie: sins, archers, perdition. same goes for full pdef. pdef stones mixed with hp/vit have made my life a helluva lot easier, and I personally believe the best way to stone a mage is half hp/half defense.

this is, of course, before +2 defense stones existed. I've never tried them, nor does anyone left in myen cash shop enough for these to be loaded into the economy. though, even on just one piece of gear, 8 defense levels sounds a bit better than 4 drakes. this is just an assumption, and my experience with pdef is that you gain a lot more defense from them as we're mages - barrier does amazing things to those stones.

an example being my mage:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=a0c24f7ebe958b88

you're probably going to say something about 'that's too expensive' etc., it's just an example. this mage is 4 years old, of course it looks expensive. now the point of it is that, if I removed all 12 of my pdef stones, I go down to 12,009 pdef self buffed. if I replace them, then un-refine my accessories to +0, I have 11,021 pdef self buffed. that means 12 pdef stones is almost equivalent to 2 +11 pdef accessories(g13, g14). I don't recall what I spent on my 4-11* orbs, but it cost a helluva lot more than my stones.

b:bye
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    prof wrote: »
    this is, of course, before +2 defense stones existed. I've never tried them, nor does anyone left in myen cash shop enough for these to be loaded into the economy. though, even on just one piece of gear, 8 defense levels sounds a bit better than 4 drakes. this is just an assumption, and my experience with pdef is that you gain a lot more defense from them as we're mages - barrier does amazing things to those stones.

With everyone sporting Jones' Blessings and getting +30 atk lvls, the +2 def lvl stones are nice in helping cancel out some of the bonus they get from the blessing.
  • skysing
    skysing Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Now to talk on facts, here's a build for a lvl 100 wizard:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=723b57f56e3942d4
    4 pieces of gear refined to +10 and you'll say yeah, that's expensive. Exactly, but look at stats, it's self buffed. Full buffed, we can get to this:
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=bb603013b3ef69c2

Nice guide, if you dont mind, I would like to point out a thing or 2.
    I feel that if u ditch the 2 points from vit or magic and put them into dex, dex will add up to 20 points and that will give you 1% bonus in critical hit. That will be a big boost in damage.

I agree with you on 8-10k physical defence is enough. As for HP, I feel that the more should be better. However the moment you have around 10k HP, sharding your armor with some -2% defence stone will greatly increase your overall survival.
  • thedominoeffect
    thedominoeffect Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    No mention of attack level stones. Great for PvE (lolmagepve) and good for PvP, though sins will destroy you (no kiting there, although, sins will destroy you with pdef/hp/deflvl too)
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    you mention that this guide was made because there's no other more recent guide after genies and TB...

but you fail to mention any tactics to fight TB, or how to build/use a genie.

As far as I'm concerned, you're just trying (failing) to mimic the edginess of Pandora's guide.

All you did was tell me I'm a waste of time until r8, which isn't true. A 9x wiz is still fine in TW. Nobodies saying we're as good as r8 100 wizzies, but a 9x lvl 10 BIDS can still do decent damage.

Btw if you're going to undertake writing a guide, then you need to reference what's still credible in the old guides for the sake of new wizzies.

And you also need to completely redo the PvP section for wizzies since PvP is absolutely nothing like it was before genies and tideborn.
  • skysing
    skysing Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    you mention that this guide was made because there's no other more recent guide after genies and TB...

As far as I'm concerned, you're just trying (failing) to mimic the edginess of Pandora's guide.

All you did was tell me I'm a waste of time until r8, which isn't true. A 9x wiz is still fine in TW. Nobodies saying we're as good as r8 100 wizzies, but a 9x lvl 10 BIDS can still do decent damage.

Btw if you're going to undertake writing a guide, then you need to reference what's still credible in the old guides for the sake of new wizzies.

And you also need to completely redo the PvP section for wizzies since PvP is absolutely nothing like it was before genies and tideborn.

I wouldnt consider it fail since it gonna be reserve for the future as the game progress. Overall I agree with 1 thing that Ursa mention, we do need an update on the wizard. Not saying that the Pandora guide and others guide are useless, but of course an update is always better. We didnt get any update on wizard guide since TB expansion and soon Genesis expansion will come.
  • prof
    edited February 2011
    I will write a guide!

..right after I play a level 100 one in pwi.
  • Adroit - Lost City
    Adroit - Lost City Posts: 4,628 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    prof wrote: »
    I will write a guide!

..right after I play a level 100 one in pwi.

Lol that'd be hilarious. I can imagine.. Go demon, **** your pants over -channeling.. Get a farming alt (must be a DEMON bm) and become a pve ***** to farm gear.. Then pretend you know something about pvp because your outgear your opponents.

Well hey, guess I wrote it for you b:cute

Edit: oh ya.. kiting is for newbs (my personal favorite from you)
    Youtube Channel: youtube.com/user/D2VeT/videos?flow=grid&view=0
    Current gear: pwcalc.com/6ab2893fbfb080a8
    [SIGPIC]http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=684hgk&s=5[/SIGPIC]
  • Korrok - Harshlands
    Korrok - Harshlands Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    but a 9x lvl 10 BIDS can still do decent damage.

Ahahahahahahahahahhahaha no.
  • Ivy_ - Dreamweaver
    Ivy_ - Dreamweaver Posts: 246 Arc User
    edited February 2011

In his defense, he didn't say that the guide is complete. So we gotta see how it looks when he finishes.

/inb4getoutofwizzyforumyoutraitorfish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Better known as Destini, also known as _Yvi.

ty Nowitsawn. :D

I dunno if I'm coming or going some days...b:shocked
  • Toliman - Raging Tide
    Toliman - Raging Tide Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited February 2011

The game starts from lvl 1 but you become a player when you hit 100. Up until then you're just another toon creating lag in PW. You don't count in any kind of PvP instance or open world PvP, and even if you try you're going to get your **** whooped like there's no tomorrow. The reason behind this statement? Well, rank8 gear is as widely available now as it was TT90 gear at the time of Seraphim's, Pandora and Dtone's time. The difference in damage/defenses between the two is sky high though. An year ago having a lvl 95 +10 refined lunar weapon was an extraordinary achievement. Now, a rank8 weapon at +5 refine will outdamage that lvl 95 +10 lunar, and rank8 comes with additional armor, pants, ring and belt. All these armor pieces are better than their TT counterparts, are basically at a fraction of the cost, and can be 4 sockets (takes 1 million coins to buy a piece of armor once a day, with a chance of getting 3 or 4 sockets) .

Because of this jump in overall stats at 100, everything below is pretty much irrelevant. There are a lot of opinions about how a char should be raised, but really, right now there is just no point of wasting time below lvl 100, because really, there is nothing there to do. Yes, you can do quests, grind solo, waste months and months to level up. What will this teach you? Well,maybe a few basic stuff on how to kite what skills to use. I'm not going to say that's useless, but what I'm going to say is whatever you learned in PvE questing won't help you much in PvP/TW. Things are happening on another scale in there.

Resume:
    Quests are not related with PWI.
    PWI is PvP/TW game and must be started with characters level 100 (why not 105 ?).
    PvE server are not playable, because there is so small chance to PvP.
  • Mrvate - Heavens Tear
    Mrvate - Heavens Tear Posts: 406 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    but a 9x lvl 10 BIDS can still do decent damage.

Sorry just to mock you abit more, but no... thats the kind or dmg that is only useful in bringing down hp so the next "true" wizard can bypass my charm.

Edit: oh and to add I pretty well agree with the OP.
  • prof
    edited February 2011
    Lol that'd be hilarious. I can imagine.. Go demon, **** your pants over -channeling.. Get a farming alt (must be a DEMON bm) and become a pve ***** to farm gear.. Then pretend you know something about pvp because your outgear your opponents.

Well hey, guess I wrote it for you b:cute

Edit: oh ya.. kiting is for newbs (my personal favorite from you)

if you take nothing else correctly from me, and I don't think you have yet, try this:

you are as blunt as yulk and and whine as much as deity.

b:victory

I never said 'go demon', I said it has more positive points that holy. go figure, it does. the biggest and bad-*** thing holy gets becomes less and less of a factor as people keep refining.

-channeling is useful for both cultivations, as well as every caster class. you got something against that? b:surrender

farm alt is extremely useful for this 'mages don't do pve' **** you spew. why would you even whine about this?

if your opponent has better gear, stop being a lazy whiner and work on your own. you've been sporting that hh90 for as long as i've known you exist. g13 nirvana sword? come on, rank 8 is so cheap.
  • HexOmega - Dreamweaver
    HexOmega - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,342 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    i dislike rank stuff only for one thing: you cant account stash, nor sell them

Adroit might have a cleric that shares the gear, and the additional HP on the weapon is a benefit in a time where everyone hits hard, he is even vit hybrid- so it makes perfectly sense to go for a defensive weapon

also the nirvana sword has a nice look :)

and you can never tell what further updates bring,
    g16 nirvana gear? good to have g13 already ready for decompose

what can you do with outdated rank gear? :P, cant even move it on a alt cleric/mystic/(psy -weap)
    i like potato
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011

lol, 9x wizzies.
    9x wizzies are useless for a lead kill in TW , as leachers of course, they can add dmg to a kill, can't really have the HP/def to stand a Delta (well, they can, but no one is stupid enough to invest so mouch in a gear that in less than 10 lvls will be severely outdated).

And no, I'm not going to redo the PvP section. It's not the point of this overview. This overview will not teach you how to play the wizard class (unless someone will make a post that I can link to - and even in that case I still think it outside the object of what I'm trying to do. However if it's a good one, no good thig will be overlooked.
    Resume:
    Quests are not related with PWI.
    PWI is PvP/TW game and must be started with characters level 100 (why not 105 ?).
    PvE server are not playable, because there is so small chance to PvP.

yup, that pretty much sums it up at a very simplified level.
    You can spend 1 year getting a char up to lvl 100. What will you gain out of it? wasted time.
    Or you can spend 1-3 months in getting it up to 100, equip it with rank8 gear and try to do something with it where it really matters: Endgame

i dislike rank stuff only for one thing: you cant account stash, nor sell them

Adroit might have a cleric that shares the gear, and the additional HP on the weapon is a benefit in a time where everyone hits hard, he is even vit hybrid- so it makes perfectly sense to go for a defensive weapon

also the nirvana sword has a nice look :)

and you can never tell what further updates bring,
    g16 nirvana gear? good to have g13 already ready for decompose

what can you do with outdated rank gear? :P, cant even move it on a alt cleric/mystic/(psy -weap)

true, rank8 is bind to one char.
    But it's cheap, comes with great stats and a kick-as.s weapon. Just a TT99 gold top costs more in mats than the whole rank8 gear.
    Once you have that r8 as a starting point, you can work towards better stuff. Nirvana, Rank9, no one stops you. It's your choince, and once at 100-101 and you're smart enough to look around at other wizards gear, you pretty much get an idea what's the direction you need to head on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    there are also some points in the other guids or common stereotypes about the wiz which are wrong and might misslead new wiz players:

a) wiz isnt the hardest hitting magical DD not in DPH and also not in DPS since psychics +att lvls from black voodoo give them more dmg and they are also faster.
    yes, that's with pretty much no defense. While trying to outdamage a wiz they are a lol1shot to almost anyone.
    b) wizards even if they in theory have the most powerfull AOEs are no AOE grinding class except you use your zhen skill Dragon's Breath with expel on your genie
    well, I guess everyone knows by about lvl 30 that if you get more than 2 mobs on you your death sentence is not revocable anymore.
    c) wizards can 1 hit other squishies - most of the other endgame characters who you will meet will have high refined equipement which sharply reduces your magic dmg. So unless you crit you wont be able to oneshot any class and even then it's no guarantee that the wiz dmg is sufficient
    not really. Even the beefy builds can die to a well thought combo. Problem is those beefy builds are usually 5 aps, and a well thought combo is exactly that: a combo which implies some time to get it off. While a 5 aps will just stun-roflpwn you.

LE: gah, double post

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    yes, that's with pretty much no defense. While trying to outdamage a wiz they are a lol1shot to almost anyone.

Pretty sure I got a cleric buffed full r9 wiz with a +12 r9 sword with icebournes in my guild to BT me yesterday before Celestial Tigers event. It only hit me 8.3k while I was in black voodoo and I only had cleric buffs. If I had barb buff or maybe even a BM buff, that wouldn't even be a oneshot. ijs.
  • Satchiko - Dreamweaver
    Satchiko - Dreamweaver Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I'm confused. The introduction states "This post, and the ones that will follow, will not give you tips about PvP or PvE tactics". So it seems to me like this is only an equipment guide. That is an entirely valid thing to write, after all anniversary packs and reputation sales completely changed the way people equip their characters. However the first post only mentions what to use at level 100. So who was this guide made for then? I assume with the line "don't roll this as your main class" this is designed for people who have been playing for a while and just want to make a wizard alt for funsies. Those are people who already know things like rank gear and cube necklace are worth buying. I suppose I could be over thinking that one statement but it still takes a few months to get to level 100 on your first character and by that time people have a pretty good idea of what gear they want to use.

Obviously the guide is still a work in progress and I hope it continues to get improved upon because at the moment it isn't so much an "overview" as "what gear to use at 100+".
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    well, yeah, there is still to add to it, and I will touch the sub 100 gear issue too. It's just a question of how much time I have to write/document on stuff. I'll try to get it 99% finished in the next 2-3 days, but all depends on RL workload and other stuff. Feel free to add your thoughts though, I'll add them to main posts with the credit they deserve. I actually welcome and incourage posts like that, your or others point of view might be very valid and could contribute a lot to writting something that's up to date and useful.

And yeah, as I see it now, rolling a wiz as main char is not a good idea. One of the most expensive classes and the less desired in every Coin making instance.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Galox - Heavens Tear
    Galox - Heavens Tear Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Hmm, Some Nice Points haha, I was actually going to ask You/Adroit/Other Pro Wizzies if you would be interested in making a new sorta guide earlier,

I've really enjoyed Wizard as my main So Far, Sure, I'm not Endgame yet, but it is a real fun class to play really. I think the main reason I still play PWI is for my friends and to have fun and stuff, I don't really do BH/FF all that often, (*Slaps Self*) It's just too bad there's hardly any Wizzies left.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] b:victory
  • Ruxal - Harshlands
    Ruxal - Harshlands Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Alas, after 98 levels with only 1 level and 12% to go to level 100, after almost all my quest, after rolling on a pvp server and taking part in all forms of pvp on harshlands after hours upon hours of "playing" the game, it seems I have not started to be a player yet.

Well thanks for making all the hours I have put into this character sound so wasted. However I will not allow the likes of Ursa, Adroit and Mumitroll to stuff their beliefs down my throat. I started playing at lvl 1 and every level since has brought me much experience, fun, friends and lots of "play" time with my wizard. I know my class well and am proud to be one of the wizards that once other players get to know recognise as being good at handling their class.

On that quip regarding -chan, excuse me if I found an aspect of my wizard fun for me. Yes, fun for me. It does not matter if it is not pro enough to be considered an elite build, its fun for me and when its time to get serious ala pvp I hold my own quite well ty. Why? Because pvp is usually not a 1v1 affair and not everyone on the server is rich and has uber gear X as outlined for being the bare minimum for being considered to be a real player. Ignoring that I already have the rep and most of my lvl 11 skills I actually have a solid understanding of my class and how to help my friends and defeat my enemies in pvp.

Even against members of the servers most elite factions I more than hold my own and am quite capable to taking down many established players boasting uber X gear.

BUT alas the lords of the Wizard section ala Ursa and Adroit have spoken.

Don't get me wrong, I actually followed your advice, and some of your build ideas especially the pvp genie build (courage/fortify etc) but I differ in my approach slightly. Does that make me less pro? I suppose. Does it make me noob, NOPE!

So here is to those who like life on the wild side and don't mind a little -chan on their wiz. Here is those who can make a demon wiz work despite every authority in wizardom making it seem like sage is the only correct choice. Here is to every wizard who thinks that they have played their way to what ever level they have achieved. Here is to us who do not fit the uber X gear mold but still kick major a-- in pvp.

/Another Wall of Text.
  • Ursa - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    I feel your pain, and you can play your wiz however you see it fit for yourself. However, for maximizing the potential of the class in given conditions there isn't much place too fool around.

Wizard is pretty much a useless class now. Does it hurts? hell ya. I love my wiz. Problem is my 5aps BM is better in every aspect of the game 99.5% of the time. And my BM isn't even a godly equipped one, and my skills with BM class suck. Still, I'm 10x better on making money with it than with my wiz. Yeah, yadda yadda, you play for fun, ppl play for fun, so on and so forth. I have fun when I can make a difference with the char I play, not blend in the croud or try to be different because I can't do anything else better than the rest of the wizards on my server.

I know, two very different points of view yours and mine. I respect yours, I'm not trying to shove down your throat anything. What me and Adroit and Mummin and MageFizban and some other old timers are saying is just the truth spoken through the mouth of experience. Learning from the experience and the mistakes of the ones before you will make you better. Ignore it and you'll make the same mistakes again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Mumintroll - Heavens Tear
    Mumintroll - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,393 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Alas, after 98 levels with only 1 level and 12% to go to level 100, after almost all my quest, after rolling on a pvp server and taking part in all forms of pvp on harshlands after hours upon hours of "playing" the game, it seems I have not started to be a player yet.

Well thanks for making all the hours I have put into this character sound so wasted. However I will not allow the likes of Ursa, Adroit and Mumitroll to stuff their beliefs down my throat. I started playing at lvl 1 and every level since has brought me much experience, fun, friends and lots of "play" time with my wizard. I know my class well and am proud to be one of the wizards that once other players get to know recognise as being good at handling their class.

On that quip regarding -chan, excuse me if I found an aspect of my wizard fun for me. Yes, fun for me. It does not matter if it is not pro enough to be considered an elite build, its fun for me and when its time to get serious ala pvp I hold my own quite well ty. Why? Because pvp is usually not a 1v1 affair and not everyone on the server is rich and has uber gear X as outlined for being the bare minimum for being considered to be a real player. Ignoring that I already have the rep and most of my lvl 11 skills I actually have a solid understanding of my class and how to help my friends and defeat my enemies in pvp.

Even against members of the servers most elite factions I more than hold my own and am quite capable to taking down many established players boasting uber X gear.

BUT alas the lords of the Wizard section ala Ursa and Adroit have spoken.

Don't get me wrong, I actually followed your advice, and some of your build ideas especially the pvp genie build (courage/fortify etc) but I differ in my approach slightly. Does that make me less pro? I suppose. Does it make me noob, NOPE!

So here is to those who like life on the wild side and don't mind a little -chan on their wiz. Here is those who can make a demon wiz work despite every authority in wizardom making it seem like sage is the only correct choice. Here is to every wizard who thinks that they have played their way to what ever level they have achieved. Here is to us who do not fit the uber X gear mold but still kick major a-- in pvp.

/Another Wall of Text.
    Np. Enjoy your playing. Fyi I also did every quest possible. I Miss maybe 2-3 quests in all game. I know my character also very well.

Just wait till you be killed even without chance to respond. Then you will realize how wrong have you been. If you don't mind be killed roughly in 80% of fights, ok np for me. b:pleased
    BTW. I have no idea how it's pvp now with rank 8. Maybe for wizards is little bit better now.
    But the most problem what I see, is useless class. We have no chance to make money without alt. char. And no money = even weaker class= faster killed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur
    BLOODMYSTIC - Archosaur Posts: 1,842 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Noone is saying not to play your wiz.

Noone is saying playing a wiz isn't fun.

Read what Ursa is saying, and stop replying to what he is not saying.
    "And as for bragging, I don't need to brag. I am famous, yo. My accomplishments are legendary. I am BLOODMYSTIC, speaker of truth, bane of the Barbarians of Impulse, slayer of the **** of Narla, liberator of all the free peoples of the Archosaur server, former master propagandist for our leader in freedom, Proski, and Archtroll of the PWI Forums. And now? Amiable pve wizard, beloved by all, aka BLUEMYSTIC. Pleased to make your acquaintance."
This discussion has been closed.