Death Throes

Options
2»

Comments

• Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Nothing new... I've seen this since I started playing here and really noticed it wasn't just lag after BH was introduced (I was in the level range to start BH51 once a day; triple BH got introduced later). I noticed that ranged physical attackers always get a last shot in on death regarldess of the time from last shot before death.

Let's say an archer is on a cycle where he hits you once every 2 seconds and that you kill him just after he's made a shot. Realistically, the "last" shot shouldn't occur since it takes 2 seconds to "reload," but it's like cancelling the Runewolf boss in FCC... instead of having 4-5 seconds before his wicked AoE, cancelling with Alacrity of the Beast makes the AoE instant. Well killing a ranged archer gives them an instant "reload and shoot."

I'll agree with most others that this is pretty annoying.
  • sangodoc
    sangodoc Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it's not lag. My spells will hit monsters that my pets have already killed. I've had pets take damage from a monster after they leveled from killing it.
    Technically, both of those can be explained by lag:

Example #1-
    1) Pet lands killing blow, message sent to server
    2) Killing blow message received at server, death message sent to client
    3) Your attack spell goes off, message sent to server
    4) Client receives death message, mob dies
    5) Server gets attack spell message, replies to client
    6) Client now shows damage on dead mob

The lag between events, 1, 2, and 4, means that other messages can slip in-between, and weird results appear. Other slight variations between the order of those steps I gave can produce the same results.

Example #2-
    1) Pet lands killing blow, message sent to server
    2) Server has mob attack pet, message sent to client
    3) Killing blow message received at server, death message sent to client
    4) Client receives death message, mob dies, pet levels
    5) Client receives mob attack message, pet takes damage from dead mob

In this case lag on one message but not the other caused the messages to be received out of order, resulting in the damage by the dead mob. The client can't ignore that damage, since from the server's point of view, the mob attacked before it was killed, even if it didn't appear that way on the client.

Things like this are why it's really hard to write these kinds of games well. Messages can be received late, out of order, or not at all, and the client has to not only respond "intelligently", but in a way that makes it hard for the client to be ****. Things like these are why we have most rubberbanding problems and the like.
    I've also seen what the op describes happen too.

I'm pretty sure the desync is in the code, not lag. Some of the death throes I've seen don't make sense otherwise...
    The "death throes" seems to be a special attack feature that some mobs have. At least, that's how I interpret it.

Annoying, but it does keep you on your toes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the PWI wiki for the useful information. Stay at the PWI wiki for the pie. ;-)
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Sangodoc wrote: »
    Annoying, but it does keep you on your toes.

it also can keep your face in the dirtb:cryb:angry
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I always figured it is due to the way the game rolls hits.

I've noticed on a lag-free connection (this was a long time ago before tons of people joined, when there were fewer people playing on ALL of PWI than there are now on just Sanctuary), that after the mob dies, hits still get registered. Personal opinion... The dice were rolled, so to speak, hit totals calculated, and it's giving them to you.

So, you reduce a mob's life to 32 hp, the game rolls that the mob is going to do an attack on you that will hit for 150 damage. You kill the mob. The mob still takes it's turn, even though it's dead, because the silly devs don't know what else to do with those HP they've calculated.

Having 2, 3, or 5 attacks come from an obviously dead mob is evidence of massive lag. Usually, the client just holds until it gets data, but sometimes it tries to compensate by guessing what the server will do, and then you get weird disconnects like that, where you're fighting a dead mob. It's pretty sad, it takes the 'seamless' feeling out of the game, and makes it feel like fail.

I suspect the "it has no idea what to do with rolls" theory is pretty close because sometimes I'll shoot a dead mob after it's dead, or punch it. Doesn't effect casters, since they have channel that the server can interrupt. it'll also use arrows on my archer for those phantom shots, too.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • hetra987
    hetra987 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    The 'death throes' thing can actually work for the player as well. When I was lvl 9 or so, a mob and I managed to kill each other somehow, was funny then, but really irritating now :(
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    Laranda - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Sangodoc wrote: »
    Technically, both of those can be explained by lag:

I'd believe you except for one detail I did not mention. It happens so frequently that I'm almost certain it's reproducible on command and I have adjusted my playstyle around it to avoid burning up mp. This is with a Smooth connection and no other signs of lag.

I've never known lag to be that consistent.