The lack of barbs probem.

Negreiros - Sanctuary
Negreiros - Sanctuary Posts: 113 Arc User
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
in short:
There is not enought barbs to cover the need of ppl doing instances,they have to wait long time to do FCC or whatever.Sometimes ppl give up trying to make the squad and go doing something they didn't wanna to.

Whats the solution?
Tell your SOLUTION OPINIONS here.

QQ somewhere else.
if you are going to tell someones solution is bad, say why and then post your own solution and tell why yours is better.

Example:
Reducing prices of Charms by 80% !!

This way a good number of BMs could also pull mobs on FCC and then we would have more barbs avaliable.
Edit:btw the charms are just for taking large amount of mobs(cleric cant heal).tanking bosses is easy even for sins...just get a good(minded,not equiped) cleric.
(i gave up a lvl90 veno in raging tide cus i didnt like killing mobs or TT when what i rly wanted was lvling up)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] i have seen PW alive...it was awesome xD
Post edited by Negreiros - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Example:

This way a good number of BMs could also pull mobs on FCC and then we would have more barbs avaliable.

economy wouldn't get any crazier.packs were implemented and our character are alive =).

Reduce the price of charms and you will have a 6 man sin squad (or way less) running fcc`s more often than now b:chuckle
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    If you ask me, the problem is less about too few barbs, and more about too many DD alts (particularly BMs and sins) who care about nothing except hypering to 100 ASAP so they can grind Nirvana or god knows what. And guess who isn't counted in that equation? Barbs (real barbs, anyway - clawbarians can die in a fire). So as long as there are incentives to powerlevel yourself beyond all semblance of dignity, the problem will not be solved.

I like to try to be optimistic and all, but that's the truth of it. Best thing to do is friend as many Barbs/BMs/Clerics as possible, offer DD spots primarily to people who bring a Barb/BM/Cleric with them, and if that fails, offer to pay your barb's repair bill in WC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
  • Conavar - Heavens Tear
    Conavar - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    in short:
    There is not enought barbs to cover the need of ppl doing instances,they have to wait long time to do FCC or whatever.Sometimes ppl give up trying to make the squad and go doing something they didn't wanna to.

Whats the solution?
    Tell your SOLUTION OPINIONS here.

QQ somewhere else.
    if you are going to tell someones solution is bad, say why and then post your own solution and tell why yours is better.

Example:

economy wouldn't get any crazier.packs were implemented and our character are alive =).

Bm's should be able to Pull in FF anyway without hardly if any charm ticks .. Use marrows take the Mag mob corridor in 2 pulls rather than one etc.

One thing I did notice when running FF on my Archer though was lack of Cleric help for the pulls. The amount that failed to stack heal and plume shell the BM before the lure was ridiculous .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Amencat - Sanctuary
    Amencat - Sanctuary Posts: 484 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    actually the solution is easy, a lot of high-lvl-non barbs who are able to tank anything ;)

aks friends or make one high lvl on another account which will solo everything for you

higher problem is the lack of clerics, but mystic-help will come with that soon

and you ppl are just to dependable of barbs, a lot of same lvl range bms and sins can tank easy as well bhs or stuff
    Some Rules each PWI Gamer should know
    1. Dont break this rules & no matter what: DONT TRUST ANYONE!
    2. Dont pay wine or heads fee (like to get kicked after that?) b:chuckle
    3. Dont borrow items (since when return gms scammed stuff?) b:embarrass
    4. Dont use your password in faction-forums (like hacks?) b:fatb
    5. Dont give your mats to the tt-banker (obvious, not?) b:beg
    6. Dont wait for help, or heals, or any other miracles,... (for more examples just play pwi and you will hate the whole humanity) b:bye
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Yup - all the APS people killed the barbs, because a great many of them ARE the barbs.

Without solving that problem, you're not going to bring the barbs back.

Also - there's a lack of true new players at the lower levels, and barbs especially are a pain to level up at the lower levels solo.
  • Ruxal - Harshlands
    Ruxal - Harshlands Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    We are ingame almost if not everyday. We give you the GMs/developers/whoever constant feedback on what is happening and yet we continue to be ignored:

Finding a barb is a severe problem in game and the reasons have all been duly noted. The main reason is the existance of sins, another is the op of 4/5 aps, yet another is the inability of barbs to hold agro properly etc etc.

But no one listens, no one even has the decency to at least say well they understand there is an issue and we are looking into it. All we get is nothings and "no maintenance this week" or "minor localisations". I recognise there is a major update coming but even then nothing has been said as to how this update may address any of our issues. To me this section serves no purpose because there is 0 feedback on issues of real concern.

Instead be sure to read the next question of the week "so who likes bunnies".....

Game is slowly going to lose players as less feedback is given and less/no action is taken to adress imbalances and blatantly op classes along with year old+ bugs.
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2011
    IMO Nerfing APS is the only real solution. Nerfing the power-leveling as well. I basically quit playing my barb because it's not worth getting in squads and solo-barbing sucks donkey balls.
    It's rare to find a squad that appreciates a barb, knows not to control their aggro, or knows what skills to use when and where and when NOT to use them.

As a result, I pretty much only log my barb on to do WQ, Help my buds do their BH69, (because they actually know how to play their class in a group instance with bosses like Pole and Nob), and when I do FCC training runs.

What would make me play my barb more? Intelligent players, and more people that will actually show the tank and the cleric some decent respect. I'm not saying fork over 100k for me to join a FCC run. (Because hell, I do 4-hour FCC training runs with heavy abuse and still haven't spent more than 60k in repairs in one instance.)

BTW, when I'm on the cleric and you show you're just too stupid to control your aggro, you'll likely just lay there dead till the boss is at 10%hp. More clerics should do this for the idiots. I can understand a lower level nuker not understanding aggro mechanics, but by the 80's and 90's there's no reason not to.

People also need to learn that there are times when it's better for someone not all furry to tank, like in 59 when it's better to have an arcane tank, or similarly in 79 on any boss but Styg and Loon. Hell I've even seen archers do better than barbs on Krimson, and I personally have soloed Mantavip, (or whatever it's called now), since the mid-70's. (although a wiz/Psy would likely be a better choice than a cleric for tanking Vip)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary
    Angel_Spawn - Sanctuary Posts: 3,034 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    IMO Nerfing APS is the only real solution. Nerfing the power-leveling as well. I basically quit playing my barb because it's not worth getting in squads and solo-barbing sucks donkey balls.
    It's rare to find a squad that appreciates a barb, knows not to control their aggro, or knows what skills to use when and where and when NOT to use them.

As a result, I pretty much only log my barb on to do WQ, Help my buds do their BH69, (because they actually know how to play their class in a group instance with bosses like Pole and Nob), and when I do FCC training runs.

What would make me play my barb more? Intelligent players, and more people that will actually show the tank and the cleric some decent respect. I'm not saying fork over 100k for me to join a FCC run. (Because hell, I do 4-hour FCC training runs with heavy abuse and still haven't spent more than 60k in repairs in one instance.)

BTW, when I'm on the cleric and you show you're just too stupid to control your aggro, you'll likely just lay there dead till the boss is at 10%hp. More clerics should do this for the idiots. I can understand a lower level nuker not understanding aggro mechanics, but by the 80's and 90's there's no reason not to.

Yes it is how it`s suppose to be, let a barb tank for example and try not to get aggro, but it takes way longer to accomplish things, and harder on the tank and cler to receive dmg or heal, for example, when i do b hole with only a veno, i spam skills in order not to take aggro, but with a cler and bb it`s a lot faster.
  • Yishuin - Sanctuary
    Yishuin - Sanctuary Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I will give you some hints why there is no barb (or almost none who wanna go with random squads)

1/ go make a barb and lvl it... you will see how it is fun to do almost no DD, to take hits, to pay pots/repairs/charms/etc... for some newbs saying "omfg you are a fail barb go quit"

2/ if you reach high lvls, will you go with people you trust (good experience early lvl? they have teached you some nice tips?) or with random people and you take the risk to be flamed like in 1/ ?

3/ woot you are lvl 100 very gratz! omfg you have spent a lot of money to have awesome gear! and lol nobody wants you in squad cause all the game is about aps aps aps aps mooooore aps and omg you cant tank from this freeky DPS!

Note : i have a barb I try to lvl its hard and to be honest ppl are not very "kind" so i go back very fast on my sin to have fun with people i know etc... same goes for high lvl barb :).

So why is there no barb : there are barbs, they just don't squad with people they don't know. New ppl don't make barbs cause its annoying to lvl and stuff and etc etc etc... and expensive without any reward (not even a ty did a great job or anything else).

Barbs are not enough attrative to players, barbs are pissed with hypernoobs, barbs are pissed with high aps squads.

Here is my impression and i will be very honest saying im very sad about this. Barbs are useful but the game is definitely not for them (strange isnt it?)
  • Roseary - Sanctuary
    Roseary - Sanctuary Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Nerf aps, so many barbs I knew stoped being barbs so they can get a good aps character going.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2011
    And here I thought I was the only person who still practiced damage moderation... >_>

Seriously, **** 4/5 APS. Why would I want to be 4/5 APS if I'm just going to steal aggro more? Because I can pretend I'm a barb in an endgame instance? Pass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    edited February 2011
    Yes it is how it`s suppose to be, let a barb tank for example and try not to get aggro, but it takes way longer to accomplish things, and harder on the tank and cler to receive dmg or heal, for example, when i do b hole with only a veno, i spam skills in order not to take aggro, but with a cler and bb it`s a lot faster.

It doesn't take that much longer. Just give me the first 5 or 10% and after that you can typically go nuts. The problem is that people don't seem to know how to hold back when it's necessary. It will always take forever if you have a veno tank with the herc, which is why I am still so confused about people expecting them to tank in FCC.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    why dont you roll a barb then?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Korsov - Heavens Tear
    Korsov - Heavens Tear Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I love it that no barbs have posted. Well, now one has b:surrender
  • Conavar - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2011
    Nerf aps, so many barbs I knew stoped being barbs so they can get a good aps character going.

Aps plays a part granted but it's not the only problem.
    The gear available to all classes in general has vastly improved allowing more than just Barb's to tank while for the most part the bosses are still Version2008. The players have moved on but the game hasn't kept up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Look at your tank.

Now look at me.

Now back to him

Now back to me.

Sadly, he isn't me, but if he stopped using lady's dual axes and switched to 5 aps w/ claws he could tank like me.

Look down, back up, where are you? You're in a FC instance with the tank your tank could tank like.

What's in your hand? Back at me, I have is an inventory with those nirvana crystals you love. Look back, the crystals are now gold mats.

Anything is possible when your tank tanks like a man and not a lady, I'm on a boat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2011
    Aps plays a part granted but it's not the only problem.
    The gear available to all classes in general has vastly improved allowing more than just Barb's to tank while for the most part the bosses are still Version2008. The players have moved on but the game hasn't kept up.
    Or rather, the game has always had the potential to be abused this way, and it just hasn't been fixed.

APS gear is largely "version 2008" as well - or "version 2009" at worst. It's partly the devs' fault for not fixing this, and partly the players' fault for willingly exploiting such a system when there are so many more interesting gear choices that are overlooked in favor of this broken pseudo-perfection.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Other Active Characters:
    edited February 2011
    I love it that no barbs have posted. Well, now one has b:surrender

Technically I count as a barb, just not posting from my barb =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Conavar - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2011
    Or rather, the game has always had the potential to be abused this way, and it just hasn't been fixed.

APS gear is largely "version 2008" as well - or "version 2009" at worst. It's partly the devs' fault for not fixing this, and partly the players' fault for willingly exploiting such a system when there are so many more interesting gear choices that are overlooked in favor of this broken pseudo-perfection.

It's not just Aps though .. I know many non aps Archers, Wizzies etc that can easily tank many bosses solely due to the gear which wasn't possible in the past.
    When you get to the point where Clerics/Archers etc can pull in FF or Tank bosses then who needs a Barb and that has nothing to do with aps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    IMO, the reason is the (sad) overabundance of moronic people who care about nothing else than doing FC and BH to powerlvl and care for nothing else than getting EXP.

Then they come up with stupid reasons to call you fail, for instance:

*Person A runs into a group of mobs while the rest of the squad rests for MP, and of course dies*

Person A: "Fail!!!!"

Barb: "Why the **** did you run into them when you clearly saw we're sitting here?"

Person A: "Because on my barb I don't rest for MP, I use pots!! Fail!!!!"

Meanwhile 1 person in the squad keeps asking; "weres expp room"

And the occasional "No hablo ingles" or "Я не говорю по английски", both meaning "I don't speak English".

And every other 'mishap' that may happen during a run.
  • RedDay - Archosaur
    RedDay - Archosaur Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Also - there's a lack of true new players at the lower levels, and barbs especially are a pain to level up at the lower levels solo.

This...
  • Dpicic - Harshlands
    Dpicic - Harshlands Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Meanwhile 1 person in the squad keeps asking; "weres expp room"

And the occasional "No hablo ingles" or "Я не говорю по английски", both meaning "I don't speak English".

ahahahahahahhaahahhahaahahahahaahahahahahah
    b:laugh
    b:shutup
    b:laugh

the one with "where is exp room" its not problem when ppl listen but "no hablo ingles" can be big problem, especially when they dont know what is their job ...
    there is not problem with ppl on they first FC run when they listen...problem is mostly with ppl who wants to do it fast and with ppl which dont care bout squadmates

me: wait sec, need chi...
    "puller runs and pulls mob..dead."

puller: WHY YOU DIDNT ZHEN HERE????
    me: cause I didnt have ****** chi...read bloody chat -.-
    puller: u r ****** fail...go swipe momie credit card..

fyi I have sooo fail gear for my lvl so last statement was like " LOOOOL"
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."
  • Sirsmokealot - Raging Tide
    Sirsmokealot - Raging Tide Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Everyone and his mother is a tank

Everyone has there own special way to run FC and expect the tank to do it there way. Everyone has an ego the size of russia FC now gives me a headache so I dont do it. TT got so dull I dont do it and BH is like banging your head of a brickwall I stick to the cube now as its simple and over and done with without having to come across players that drive you mental unless its in a PK room and the good times outweigh the bad in them.

Whats that I hear you say?...Get some fists 0.o Never I dont see the enjoyment out of point and click and wait if thats the only path to keep me usefull I prefer to not be usefull and retire my barb

My barb is dead for normal runs im waiting to see what these new classes are like in Genisis if they are no good I will be out for good.
    02/07/2011 - Lost paitence with PWI sold all my gear bought packs and wasted my coin till it was gone... goodbye PWI b:bye
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    eh, FC. at ur lvl everyone and their grandmas should be able to pull/tank fc.
    with the exception of the 7th boss perhaps

plus no "qq my repairs, i want 500k per run"
  • G_ree_n - Sanctuary
    G_ree_n - Sanctuary Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Every game I've ever played suffers from a lack of tanks. With rare exceptions, most people do not find tanking much fun. This can be because they don't like the mechanics of it or because people expect too much from them in groups.

In another game I play, a lot of former tanks described tanking as "work" whereas damage is "fun." I would imagine that most people who read the forums know how to play right and make an instance "fun" for any tank, but only a small portion of players actually read the forums and care about playing their class properly.

Tl;dr: If everybody else didn't suck so badly, there would be more tanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Roll a barb on Sanctuary for hot cleric action. b:kiss
  • Must - Lost City
    Must - Lost City Posts: 555 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Besides some of the reasons ppl posted above......

I think ppl fists/aps are the highlight on pwi and every person wants it...

Whats is sad is most of them dont have the money/time to get it and even then they sadly make bms/sins hoping on day to get it(wich will never happen).....

the other reason is everyone roll sin cause its easy to pvp and even though they suck hard they(bd geared etc) they still can kill many ppl on pvp....

APS/sins are the "thing" now,,,,,,,,

Im making a alt cleric atmm and every bh i do theres always two sins who go to, althout i always manage to get a barb wich is pricless...

If this lack of barbs continues over and over i will charge to do gvs.....

Call me whatever you want but well its ppl fault,,,,,
  • XTrigger - Archosaur
    XTrigger - Archosaur Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I personally enjoyed leveling my 2 barbs, my main is 101, didn't touch a hyper or oracle. Barbs aren't needed endgame, but the issue is everything upto endgame. This is the only game I've ever played where 1 aspect of a game, 1 build, makes everything else obsolete.

I don't see why I should switch to claws if I wanna keep on tanking though. I enjoy using axes, I enjoy using skills. What is so fun about spark > auto att > repeat?

Call me old fashioned, but I'd rather spend 3 hours in a tt with a squad of friends, none of whom are 5aps, and struggle and have a laugh over it, than have a 20 minute tt where nothing is challenging, and everything is the same.. over and over and over and over again.

I wish I had a time machine b:cry I'm so 2008
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Every game I've ever played suffers from a lack of tanks. With rare exceptions, most people do not find tanking much fun. This can be because they don't like the mechanics of it or because people expect too much from them in groups.

In another game I play, a lot of former tanks described tanking as "work" whereas damage is "fun." I would imagine that most people who read the forums know how to play right and make an instance "fun" for any tank, but only a small portion of players actually read the forums and care about playing their class properly.

Tl;dr: If everybody else didn't suck so badly, there would be more tanks.

It`s simply lots more to do playing barb than DD. You need to time cancels, you need to make sure you got chi, you need to fr on every cd, you cant afk at all... It`s honestly a work at times and then there`s idiots... I should make list of bs I`ve gone trough simply being a barb.

3. Wizzie with lunar +(8-10) QQ`d to me after he 1shot aggro on him in FC, appareantly it`s my fault our aggro skills aren`t that good. Had there not been kitty`s friends in squad, he had dropped squad, it was simply ridiculous trashing. Dunno, you drop bids with one of the best wizzie weps on server during that time, wtf you expect?

2. Cleric, yes, cleric. He asked me to buff him for that TB chain quest, the one where you get thrown into instance and goshikin dies. I wouldn`t stop grinding on sanctuary, to fly to archo to buff, I told him to come to me if he wanted buffs. After some serious QQ from his part he came to me for buffs... After 30mins, I get pms QQing how it`s my fault that he failed the quest cause buffs ended. I did apologise for buffing him in the first place, it was obviously mistake on my part.

1.(Best for last). It was a beautiful day, it was time for BH51. This cleric, he ***** my charm for some reason, I asked if it would be possible for him to heal enough that my charm wouldnt tick all the time. He says he needs to save mana cause he doesnt use manapots. I drop some for him cause constant, pointless, charm ticks started to **** me off. "It`s not about pots, I got those", it was myriadtail already, I did that too, after all most of it was already suffered. But I decided to never do BH51(Or any bh for that matter) again, unless it was with ppl I knew. Nowdays I do BHs if I can bother, bh100 is ridiculously easy with the current average gear ppl got, counters serious failing quite well.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    It`s simply lots more to do playing barb than DD. You need to time cancels, you need to make sure you got chi, you need to fr on every cd, you cant afk at all... It`s honestly a work at times and then there`s idiots... I should make list of bs I`ve gone trough simply being a barb.

3. Wizzie with lunar +(8-10) QQ`d to me after he 1shot aggro on him in FC, appareantly it`s my fault our aggro skills aren`t that good. Had there not been kitty`s friends in squad, he had dropped squad, it was simply ridiculous trashing. Dunno, you drop bids with one of the best wizzie weps on server during that time, wtf you expect?

2. Cleric, yes, cleric. He asked me to buff him for that TB chain quest, the one where you get thrown into instance and goshikin dies. I wouldn`t stop grinding on sanctuary, to fly to archo to buff, I told him to come to me if he wanted buffs. After some serious QQ from his part he came to me for buffs... After 30mins, I get pms QQing how it`s my fault that he failed the quest cause buffs ended. I did apologise for buffing him in the first place, it was obviously mistake on my part.

1.(Best for last). It was a beautiful day, it was time for BH51. This cleric, he ***** my charm for some reason, I asked if it would be possible for him to heal enough that my charm wouldnt tick all the time. He says he needs to save mana cause he doesnt use manapots. I drop some for him cause constant, pointless, charm ticks started to **** me off. "It`s not about pots, I got those", it was myriadtail already, I did that too, after all most of it was already suffered. But I decided to never do BH51(Or any bh for that matter) again, unless it was with ppl I knew. Nowdays I do BHs if I can bother, bh100 is ridiculously easy with the current average gear ppl got, counters serious failing quite well.

roflb:laugh
  • SeaCrit_Sin - Harshlands
    SeaCrit_Sin - Harshlands Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    If Barbs' aggro skills were boosted and they were able to HOLD aggro better, do you think there would be an incline in the number of Barbs actively playing? Lack of aggro = lack of barbs?
    (Note that I am not claiming this would fix all or even any problems this game has.)

I do recall a petition in which many members of the PWI community supported strengthening Barbarian aggro skills. No GM response or acknowledgment there.

Instead?

A dragon orb and dragon orb +10 sale. It is safe to say, that in more cases than not, this sale made it even more difficult for Barbs to hold and maintain aggro.
    (Note that I am not “QQing about said sale or arguing that it is a bad thing.)

I would say that the problem here is not so much a lack of barbs, as it is a lack of balance, and a lack of PWE employees addressing the issue of balance.

It is - what it is.