Aggro mechanics different now?

Options
Evanera - Heavens Tear
Evanera - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,423 Arc User
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
As of late, I've noticed aggro status has seemingly been changed around. What I mean by this is certain things that happen with aggro, shouldn't be happening at all. An example of this is: doing an SoT BH earlier today, and a veno in squad has 2 melee mobs aggro her herc. I select her herc and it has reflect on it. So, by common logic based on how aggro works on this game, the 2 mobs should have aggroed onto her when she put the herc away right? But instead, when she put the herc away, both mobs aggroed on the cleric who had just been walking by not doing anything, then after the cleric died, that's when the mobs went to the veno.

A similar situation also happened a few weeks ago.

So my question is, has the way random aggro or whatever, been changed recently? I've been playing this game since the start and have never noticed this happening until recently. Every person that I have mentioned this to, with the incident a few weeks ago and the one today, has said that it makes no sense, so I'm quite sure that it isn't just me being silly.
Post edited by Evanera - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear
    X_trigger_X - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,301 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Maybe they upped the mobs AI. Where's the patch notes b:chuckle
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    aggro mechanics changed since i removed my aggro mechanics guide

(yes, what i WRITE is THAT powerful)

(btw game is dead and you should quit it)

oh, i almost forgot: mobs 'reset' can be buggy sometimes. i.e. when you rush and mobs go yellow, sometimes they do additional 'aggro check' and attack closest person in aggro range.
    solution: never stay in mob aggro range (standard was 10 or 15m - cant remember now)
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    If the cleric heals the veno while the veno is on the mob's hate list then the cleric will have more aggro when the herc is put away. The veno is added to the hate list when the herc damages the mobs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • TigerLily - Lost City
    TigerLily - Lost City Posts: 1,209 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    As of late, I've noticed aggro status has seemingly been changed around. What I mean by this is certain things that happen with aggro, shouldn't be happening at all. An example of this is: doing an SoT BH earlier today, and a veno in squad has 2 melee mobs aggro her herc. I select her herc and it has reflect on it. So, by common logic based on how aggro works on this game, the 2 mobs should have aggroed onto her when she put the herc away right? But instead, when she put the herc away, both mobs aggroed on the cleric who had just been walking by not doing anything, then after the cleric died, that's when the mobs went to the veno.

A similar situation also happened a few weeks ago.

So my question is, has the way random aggro or whatever, been changed recently? I've been playing this game since the start and have never noticed this happening until recently. Every person that I have mentioned this to, with the incident a few weeks ago and the one today, has said that it makes no sense, so I'm quite sure that it isn't just me being silly.

Sounds really weird and it never happened to me. Must be a a bug since mobs can act pretty weird inside instances. Are you sure that the cleric was just standing there doing nothing during the entire pull?

If the cleric was healing someone else (not the veno) that was fighting another mob in SOT, he could also have gotten aggro that way. If you lure a mob it will often loose interest in you and go for someone else, if that person is fighting a mob close by.

I died that way a few times. Like if im fighting some mob/boss inside TT, than someone in party just rushed and comes running with 5 mobs chasing him and he passes by me... Than all the 5 mobs will aggro me instead, even tho i never touched them. Just someone being in attack mode is enough for mobs to switch aggro sometimes.
  • Xoria - Sanctuary
    Xoria - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    If the cleric heals the veno while the veno is on the mob's hate list then the cleric will have more aggro when the herc is put away. The veno is added to the hate list when the herc damages the mobs.

This. Heal aggro is actually pretty high up there on the hate generation. All cleric skills build aggro aside from wings of protection. For the cleric to gain aggro, he or she had to have done something- the herc attacking/ reflecting damage already canceled out aggro- on- sight.
    [In a distorted place and time][The knife that stabbed me in the back grants me wings]
    [I keep looking to the sky][In order to flee from the memories]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [The world that expands inside of your arms is][///the last secret garden///]
    [If you've already forgotten me, don't forget...]
    [The things that we once embraced]
  • Clandore - Lost City
    Clandore - Lost City Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Could also be lag on the part of the observer x_x
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    What everyone else said. Also, if the mobs start to go for the veno and the cleric then heals - sometimes even THAT is enough hate for the monsters to swerve and go for the cleric (blue bubble will do it almost every time, other heals not so often)

Also also - not all mobs have quite the same aggro settings. Nothing I have fought has changed recently, but things I have not fought before do sometimes turn out to fight differently to old things. (I thnk what I'm trying to say is that those mobs may have been set to be guards of a another mob. That does really nasty things.)
  • Evanera - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Nono, I was watching. The cleric was just walking by. We had just killed the Torturess Venerator (spell check) boss and ran by the 2 blackhole look-a-like mobs, we went around but the herc ran between them and got aggro from them. The mobs even hit the herc, both of them did. The cleric did absolutely nothing to get aggro except walk.

Again, there was no healing involved whatsoever.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Then that's really freaking weird. I can think of a few ways that could happen:

Most likely - lots of lag, pure and simple. The mobs thought they'd go for the cleric, but you saw them go for the herc.

Next most - they went for the herc, got aggro as normal, but then reset (very short chase range? random aggro mechanic?) and went for the cleric instead.

Least likely is the cleric triggered something - one of the invisible placeholder mobs perhaps - and the mobs were set as guards for it - that would cause them to go for the cleric. But that seems kind of unlikely, such a trap would be a well known thing by now.
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i just explained it

b:sleep
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

• Synta - Dreamweaver
    Synta - Dreamweaver Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Proximity builds aggro. Somehow, the cleric was close enough to build more aggro than the reflect...

Either that or it's what para said, and the mobs actually reset - there may well have been lag and the herc was stowed by the time the mobs hit the herc
    b:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Proximity builds aggro. Somehow, the cleric was close enough to build more aggro than the reflect...

Either that or it's what para said, and the mobs actually reset - there may well have been lag and the herc was stowed by the time the mobs hit the herc

exatly,
    something made mobs to do 'reset + aggro check' (it didnt happen w/o reason, veno was stowing herc, there might be lag or just bug).

aggro reseting mechanism can be quite buggy. rush 3-3 few times and you will notice abnormalities.

easiest way to avoid unwanted aggro is it keep yourself away from mob aggro range

• Evanera - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Yea..and something like that should be fixed lol. This wasn't always like this, quite sure of it.
    If it's a bug..which it likely is, then shouldn't the GM's look into this? Or better yet..how about respond to this thread please? Or..are you too..nvm
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited February 2011
    Options
    if it was just pet doing damage and the veno never DD'ed, then yes, Aggro would have gone to veno, then straight to cleric on heal aggro.

If the veno had DD'ed a little, but the cleric is spamming heals, cleric could still have gotten heal aggo if the heals are significantly more than the damage dealt.

Helping low level toons I can even steal aggro just sealing the mobs.

Although I don't think anything has changed. well a year or so ago they did nerf the aggro-building of hercs, but aside from that, it's the same as it ever was.

Also, Paramedic, I loved your aggro mechanics guide. I still have it on my guide site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Thehate - Heavens Tear
    Thehate - Heavens Tear Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Hm to clarify here, since i was the veno. What I exactly did was send herc to take aggro on 2 melee mobs off BM, but it failed since there was AOE already, but after noob BMs death herc definitely had aggro on boss+2 mobs, and with my venos matk I instead decided to play it safe and recall it after few pet heals (taking the mobs+boss away). I agree, if cleric really hadnt done healing, there shouldnt have been danger from melee mobs at least.
  • Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ah - right, that's a completely different kettle of fish.

When the pet hits something, the pet gains a lot of hate on the monsters it hits, a bit of hate on the monsters nearby, and the veno (as owner of the pet) also takes a little hate from the mobs the pet hit.

When you recall the pet, all the aggro to that pet goes away.
    And lures then work because the only remianing aggro is on the veno.

However - in your situation - the cleric also had aggro (from fighting, and being nearby, and trying to keep the BM alive presumably) and the veno did not have nearly enough to steal it. The aggro on the pet does not transfer to the venomancer when you stow the pet.

Edit: If it helps any, you would probably have had aggro on you after the cleric went down :)
  • Evanera - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2011
    Options
    What thehate said was the other incident I was talking about a few weeks prior. He had aggro from his herc directly hitting the mobs/boss, and after he put the herc away the mobs had aggroed onto the cleric. However the original in-depth situation I gave was with someone else thehate, but they are the same type of events happening so no matter. Kind of odd though, both of these incidents happen in the same area.
  • Kinjeto - Raging Tide
    Kinjeto - Raging Tide Posts: 564 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    aggro mechanics changed since i removed my aggro mechanics guide

(yes, what i WRITE is THAT powerful)

(btw game is dead and you should quit it)

oh, i almost forgot: mobs 'reset' can be buggy sometimes. i.e. when you rush and mobs go yellow, sometimes they do additional 'aggro check' and attack closest person in aggro range.
    solution: never stay in mob aggro range (standard was 10 or 15m - cant remember now)

By the way what are you still doin' posting here? They see ya trollin?
    Time won't wake/make you wiser, but it will definitely wound you.
    b i t . l y /
    I was a man of ideas and action, but at the same time a gentleman. -- S a Z T u R
    Subtly is never my strong point, but I like to find the gaps in walls and the cracks in bricks.
    Are you kind of seeing what I'm saying. b:bye
    edited February 2011
    Options
    By the way what are you still doin' posting here? They see ya trollin?

what are you doin' posting here?

• Thehate - Heavens Tear
    Thehate - Heavens Tear Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    What thehate said was the other incident I was talking about a few weeks prior. He had aggro from his herc directly hitting the mobs/boss, and after he put the herc away the mobs had aggroed onto the cleric. However the original in-depth situation I gave was with someone else thehate, but they are the same type of events happening so no matter. Kind of odd though, both of these incidents happen in the same area.

Yeah, have to say i didn't notice difference in the story tbh, also pet heals do count as healing aggro, just to note on the comment about veno gaining aggro. Anyhow, proximity probably gives VERY small amount of aggro, something like count of 1 compared to possible 10000 from a spell, so most likely all aggro have to be clear for that to count.