Challenge 1 P(WI)NTM 2011

2»

Comments

• Myralis - Sanctuary
    Myralis - Sanctuary Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    If its any help to you so you could still make it, LLux:

In like 2hours 30 minutes from now on you should be able to snap a sunset.

Gonna try myself to take another session today and then pick the one Im gonna submit. But I guess I gotta run home again so I wont be late... Hard to get that timing if youre out of house the half day, the rest of it doing some homework and somewhen have to sleep too b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ -- Wolves - Alpha | Hurt me, I'll bite back. Hurt my pack, I'll snap your neck. -- ]
  • Llux - Sanctuary
    Llux - Sanctuary Posts: 798 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Nope that's smack dab in the middle of my class time. b:surrender I have class allllll day today.

But thanks Myralis. <3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~My Screenshot Tumblr~
    insanitymogit.tumblr.com
  • Estiah - Dreamweaver
    Estiah - Dreamweaver Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    they is harder than i thought b:surrender iv taken about 50 shots and only one or two are ok-ish... T_T

gahh..lol

btw, are the entries due at exactly the END of thursday or is the entry submission closed at the begining of the day?

b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Siggy By Belle~
  • Dorset - Heavens Tear
    Dorset - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,690 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    im gonna say thursday morning Crys and su may dissagree but they shall have to say if im wrong neither are onlien atm

Llux its a shame you dont feel you can continue in the contest. me and the other two judges are gonna have to talk btou what to do next because obviously somebody else lost their place in the contest so that you could go through. Double shame cause your char really is prety awsome and you are very talented at screenshots. please let us know if you reconsider
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <sig by me

yup guys imma back!

I LOVE making sigs. go to Fanatics section "Dorset's Thread of Interesting Things". u request ill create!
    b:shyI LOVE MY HUBBY my best friend HeartandSoulb:heart
  • Xxdistance - Heavens Tear
    Xxdistance - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Llux its a shame you dont feel you can continue in the contest. me and the other two judges are gonna have to talk btou what to do next because obviously somebody else lost their place in the contest so that you could go through.

I've watched a lot of competition shows and if someone decides to drop out they usually just don't eliminate anyone in that round, let the person that wants to drop out to drop out, but they let the person who they would originially eliminate that they are barely passing to the next round and such.
    So it would be like 10 contestants, 9 of them go on and 1 of them is eliminated. But since Llux dropped out (And we'll face it; she would definitely move on to the next round with her amazing screenshot skills), the 1 person that was getting eliminated would swap spots with Llux. Not only does this keep everything in line, but it gives that 1 person a second chance to redeem themselves, because... let's face it, this is a hard challenge. xD Timing (You have to be in or around the spot you want in at sunrise) and trying to incorporate the sunrise into the picture is very tough to do.
    But that doesn't mean you guys have to do it that way. It was just merely a suggestion. b:pleased
    And I agree with Estiah, it is so much harder than I thought. xD I've taken over 50 pictures myself and I narrowed them down to 2, and since the deadline is approaching and I'm out of ideas for this challenge, I just gave them the one I felt had more potential... Although the other choice I had, she was just standing there with her hand on her hip sooo... b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " you gave up the fight; you left me behind . "

credit for the picture goes to Susylu, of course. b:cute
  • Tearle - Dreamweaver
    Tearle - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I am itching to see these screenshots o,o
  • Yanami - Heavens Tear
    Yanami - Heavens Tear Posts: 289 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I am itching to see these screenshots o,o

xD Me, too. I'm really excited and nervous.

Sucks you decide to go, Llux. :( I'm a big fan of your awesome screenshot abilities...

maybeyou'llsecretlysomehowgetascreenshotinandstilltrytobeinthecontestyes?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Just got done with my last set lol But I got soo many good motives x__x
    Holy ****, picking my fav wont get easy lol

Also... blooper attack lol Im being hunted by genie and pets.. grr
    [ -- Wolves - Alpha | Hurt me, I'll bite back. Hurt my pack, I'll snap your neck. -- ]
  • Susylu - Heavens Tear
    Susylu - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,786 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    A quick insert before I have to go to class:

Llux...! Really sad that you'll have to drop out for the contest, but I know how that can get. Maybe you can just log in a couple times for 5 min during the day and see if it's sunrise? xD Sneak a laptop into class? b:avoid

The decision of whether to disqualify someone else in addition to the drop out contestant, as well as the deadline for the contest is going to be official's our manager - crystalynnex's decision.

I'm thinking that we might just disqualify another person, and the the deadline would be 11:59 PM Thursday server time, given the fact that 3 days is rather a short amount of time to take and decide on what to submit compared to 4, for upcoming challenges as well that MAY require more time (and we'd like to give the same amount of time for each challenge).

Ingame notices to those who haven't submitted will be sent later tonight. To be safe though, like Dorset said, the remaining 4 contestants might want to consider handing in by server reset to Thursday (later tonight) if possible unless crystal posts saying otherwise beforehand.
  • B_K - Sanctuary
    B_K - Sanctuary Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I've watched a lot of competition shows and if someone decides to drop out they usually just don't eliminate anyone in that round, let the person that wants to drop out to drop out, but they let the person who they would originially eliminate that they are barely passing to the next round and such.
    So it would be like 10 contestants, 9 of them go on and 1 of them is eliminated. But since Llux dropped out (And we'll face it; she would definitely move on to the next round with her amazing screenshot skills), the 1 person that was getting eliminated would swap spots with Llux. Not only does this keep everything in line, but it gives that 1 person a second chance to redeem themselves, because... let's face it, this is a hard challenge. xD Timing (You have to be in or around the spot you want in at sunrise) and trying to incorporate the sunrise into the picture is very tough to do.
    But that doesn't mean you guys have to do it that way. It was just merely a suggestion. b:pleased
    And I agree with Estiah, it is so much harder than I thought. xD I've taken over 50 pictures myself and I narrowed them down to 2, and since the deadline is approaching and I'm out of ideas for this challenge, I just gave them the one I felt had more potential... Although the other choice I had, she was just standing there with her hand on her hip sooo... b:surrender

oh wow i didnt even think of that you are right, but what ever is decided im happy with.

and deff ive got maybe 10 shots per attempt and at least 13-15 attempts, and trying one more before i pick. Q.Q atm im stuck on 8 different ones to chose from.
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Sooo damn hard to choose, I got so many good shots ><

But I sent one thats got the most atmoshpere with it I think.. we will see~
  • queenblade
    queenblade Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    You know lol, I never really paid attention to what time it was ingame until now x_x. I think I got a few decent shots, gotta pick just one tho, that's the hardest part.
  • pwicontest
    pwicontest Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Just waiting on two more entries from the contestants before we post all of them on this thread. Great submissions so far!
  • pwicontest
    edited February 2011
    Deadline will be Thursday at 11.59 pm, and it'll be the same for every challenge. So remember, get your submissions in before 11.59 pm on Thursday!

As for Llux, I'm sorry that you dropped out. There are others that would've loved to be in the Top 10, and I'm upset and somewhat disappointed. However, I do understand where you're coming from and I wish you all the best. Don't get swallowed up in work and school o.o

Deadline's coming up fast guys so send those submissions in!
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    You might wanna specify... Thursdays midnight, which time zone? Server?
    Cause I bet my midnight is noon for someone xD

So curious to see the other entries :3
  • Susylu - Heavens Tear
    Susylu - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,786 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    You might wanna specify... Thursdays midnight, which time zone? Server?
    Cause I bet my midnight is noon for someone xD

So curious to see the other entries :3

Everything will be west coast server time :)

So by Midnight tomorrow, 11:59 PST.

We have all but one entry - will be posting a sample preview of the entries before the rankings are posted when we receive it.
  • Llux - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Sorry for the confusion and complications I caused guys. D: I should have realized before I entered the contest that I wouldn't have time. b:surrender

( I'll be keeping an eye out for more contests though, especially during the summer. *hinthint* b:laugh )

@Susy

"Llux...! Really sad that you'll have to drop out for the contest, but I know how that can get. Maybe you can just log in a couple times for 5 min during the day and see if it's sunrise? xD Sneak a laptop into class? "

LOL I actually have done this before, though we're allowed to have laptops in class. However I have a Mac book pro, which PW can't run on unless you use Bootcamp that lets you have a Windows Processing System on half of the hardrive. It's a bit of a hassle to go back and forth. Aka: Major distraction from work. Heheheh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~My Screenshot Tumblr~
    insanitymogit.tumblr.com
  • pwicontest
    edited February 2011
    All entries for this challenge have been received!

Click here for a preview of the submissions!

Stay tuned for the results! And feel free to share your blooper shots while you were doing this challenge :)

Thanks for your submissions!
  • B_K - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    so excited! i cant wait

personally im gunna wait till im out of the contest to share all of mine in case i can use one for another challenge xD. Though my faction has seen them all, poor things have been spamed all week by me
  • Xxdistance - Heavens Tear
    Xxdistance - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I love your submission, B_K. So cute b:cute
    And Yanami's is cool looking, also :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " you gave up the fight; you left me behind . "

credit for the picture goes to Susylu, of course. b:cute
  • pwicontest
    edited February 2011
    33vkygo.png

And the results are officially in!

After much deliberation, caffeine, sleepless nights, early mornings and slight digressions... We are happy to announce the results and rankings for the Daybreak challenge!

Before we get to that though, I'd like to explain the "point rank" system we're using. Here's how it goes; each of the judges would rank the submissions from top to bottom, in this case, 9 to 1. So the top screenshot would get 9 points and the 2nd top, 8 points and so on and so forth. After that, I, Crystalynnex, will tally the points together and get a total! For this challenge, the total is out of 27 points.

Some general comments about the submissions; the challenge was executed well, although for a few things here and there, like non-symmetrical (dead space on one side, lively on the other) and even somewhat dull, empty backgrounds. The incorporation of the sun is definitely there, and combining it with skills and even some complex stances was well done! Overall, good job guys!

Now without further ado, here's our Top 9! (In order from 1st to 9th)

Each judge will post their comments about each picture... Please bare with us as some of our internet connections are very, very naughty...

estiah1.png

Dorset- Estiah I love this screenshot. It's beautifully composed and I love how your char is just reaching on up and grabbing the sun. The fashion compliments the picture nicely and the tranquility of the right side of the screenshot compliments the shininess of the left side. One suggestion for next week? Let us see a bit more of your chars face! She's pretty!

Crystalynnex - This was one of my favourite submissions. The whole screenshot reminds me of your char itself; all bright and sunny! Even though we can't see her face, which is a shame... I also love her reaching upwards to grab the sun! It's really cute :)

Susylu - My top pick for this week. I like how it seems like she's merging in with the sun, very ethereal and heavenly. Next time, try looking within the range of the screenshot so that nothing gets cut off, like the tree to the right, and your dress at the bottom.

queenblade1.png

Dorset- Kyna i really loved your submission. Love the Pose of the character and I love the fashion. Also your character really pulls off this tideborn hair and how the colours are coordinated. I also like the contrast between the dark colours of the fashion and the brightness of the sun. Thumbs up from me!

Crystalynnex - I love this picture. The pose, the setting, the sun, the fashion, it all just perfectly fell into place. You made the contrast between your toon and the sun work to your advantage. Loves!

Susylu - Another great entry, one that captured a little softer side of her while still giving a sense of her "majesty" (yes I am being very creative with words atm...?) The landscape and sunrise was captured beautifully, the only thing that put yours behind the 1st place for me was the placing of your character being too centralized for the idea of the shot.

xxdistance1.png

Dorset- Distance your screenshot is wonderfully composed. I like the way your char is centered and how the sun glances past her like that. Only thing is I wish that you had waited just a FRACTION longer before taking the screenshot so her arms are just a tiny bit higher? Also for next week, Your char looks a little oddly proportioned in this position. Like her waist is almost non existant, whereas when you first submitted her I didn't realise. Maybe its the angle.

Crystalynnex - I like how you made it look like she was waking up in the morning! Very smart! The mob on the side added a nice touch, although I reckon that wasn't intentional xD I'm not fond of not being able to see more of your toon... But I suppose sacrifices must be made ^_^

Susylu - Great pose and capture, the whole screenshots reminds me of a island resort commercial of sorts. The mob on the right is distracting because there's only one, and the grass texture is a little annoying xD.

• pwicontest
    edited February 2011
    cynzia1.png

Dorset- Cynzia I LOVE the colours of your screenshot and the tideborn area is one of my favourites. I also wish that more of the contestants had used water as the main attraction like you did. Also the fashion is amazing and the eye is drawn to your character as she seems to almost replace the sunrise. Lovely pic very serene. Only suggestion for next week is that on this screenshot the sides (particularly the left side) was kind of empty. Perhaps more elements next time.

Crystalynnex - I love the background and the colours! You showed creativity in not directly incorporating the sun in the shot, but instead you were the sun... o_o Smart! This shot has my stamp of approval!

Susylu - Unfortunately I didn't feel that much towards this screenshot, the background is very beautiful, and the colors you captured in the sky is great. The fashion is very cute, but unlike the other two who saw it as a plus, I think the yellow was a shade too intense to make it work perfectly. I actually like the pose and position of your character on the right and looking off into the audience's distance - just wish there was more to it.

yanami1.png

Dorset- Yanami, your screenshot is nice and shiny and yoru character is wearing very nice fash for the screenshot, however i felt that the Skill you were using overshadowed the sunrise rather than complimenting it, giving it a very reddish glow. Still looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Crystalynnex - I like the colours and the proportion of the screenie. I like how your char isn't centered but she was still the subject of the shot. The colours like I said are nice, but it does not feel like daybreak to me. It would be a great sunset shot though!

Susylu - Very skilled shot of her skil with great atmosphere. The glare/stare she has on her face is brilliant. However, it does feel more like showing off a great skill than creating an atmosphere of sunrise.

xainou1.png

Dorset- Ok this is my main problem with this screenshot. it didnt say sunrise to me. It kinda said late afternoon to me cause although the sun was low in the sky it still looked kind of far off to me. also (and this point is not your fault other than purhaps you might have chosen a better rock to stand on) shabby pwi graphics means that the rock you were standing on has a completly straight edge to it. Good try though lookign foreward to seeing what ideas you have next week

rystalynnex - I like how you sent in the shot and the URL said "Queen of Pride Rock" and the picture totally fit that description! xD I liked the overall picture, however, like Dors pointed out, the sun looked a bit off, also the dead space on the left throws things off as well. And the too angular rock. Otherwise, it's pretty good.

Susylu - It's a good scenery, and the whole composition reminded me of Lion King. I feel although there is a balance between the busy-ness on the right and the emptiness to the left, it was almost too contrasted to make it seem real (I know it's a game, but it really took out the realistic-ness aspect to the background). The sun's position is a little iffy sure, but I still do get the whole concept of sunrise from the shot, good job.

bk1y.png

Dorset- Hey B_K :) OK your screenshot... Your char is pretty and I liked the hair you used on her but I thought that I would have liked to have seen a bit more of your char. I would have loved to see a bit more colour variety in the scenery however it does show that you put some effort into the composition and bravo for trying something different.

Crystalynnex - I loved how simple this shot is, yet I hated it being TOO simple xD Also I didn't like that too little of your toon is showing. But, I did like your timing of this shot cause your fairy looked like it was waving to the sun! So that added a nice touch.

Susylu - It was a very cute idea. I wish somehow her eyes were turned more towards the sun (although realistically she should be looking away). The pose and position didn't bother me, I thought it was cute, but the background did. The lack there of in color and scenery detail made what would be to be funny shot into a rather dull one.
  • pwicontest
    edited February 2011
    temara1.png

Dorset- I know from experience that pose is EXTREMELY hard to capture...Darn sins and their fast movements. Love the fashion and in all she looks pretty neat! However I dislike the scenery. its Bleh. Green and Grey. There are so many places that are gorgeous to choose from why did you choose this one? Good try though cant wait till next week

Crystalynnex - Yeah, I agree with Dors on the overall colour... Grey and green is just... Un-daybreak-ish... And that really brought your picture down. However, the stance is great. Really complex so kudos on your timing!

Susylu - I liked how you captured the skill, and how she's encircling the sun doing it. What brought this picture down was that it was just a cool skill picture rather than a daybreak atmosphere one (which was what I was personally looking for) given the fact she is very centered with else to be seen. You do have great skill in taking them, hopefully next time you'll use a little more imagination in creating a mood as well.

casey1.png

Dorset- Ok Casey I i was quite critical when looking at your screenshot because i think you can do better. Several reasons. First your char is neat looking dont hide her in a screenshot so bright show her off! Second i feel that you relied too much on shiny wings + shiny skill to make your screenshot impressive. Next week maybe concentrate on the natural light that the pwi environment provides and try making sure the glare doesnt cover your char.

Crystalynnex - This shot is just far too glarey and bright and pink imo. With the skill, and the sun, and the wings, it was far too much shine and sparkle. I did expect more from you, and you shouldn't rely too much on skills to add sparkle to your shots. Plus, we can't see your toons face and I personally love her look. I hope you can and will step it up next week!

Susylu - There was just too much glare making it look like a sunset. The overall showing-off-skill shot once again was nicely centered and taken, but it didn't capture much interest (I mean how many times have we seen clerics RB or BB in screenshots before?)

Final note from Dorset- NONE of you provided bad screenshots but obviously our job in this contest is to rate and provide feedback. Its obvious we have some people in this contest with real aptitude for taking screenshots and i cant wait to see what each and every one of you come up with next week. im very glad that this week we didnt have to disqualify anyone. You all did a great job!

Final note from Susylu - I was very excited about receiving and seeing all the entries. I make negative comments here and there but really, you all took some great keepers. I hope next time you all would consider the challenge themes to be just that - Themes to create, not to just utilize into taking a fancy skill shot.

Now due to Llux pulling out, there will be no disqualifications this week.

However! Next week one girl will have to leave, and 8 will remain, so be prepared ladies!
  • pwicontest
    edited February 2011
    Just for fun, here are the judges' attempt at the challenge :)

20110204150645.png

-Crystalynnex

Dorset11-1.png

-Dorset
  • Twelve/am - Heavens Tear
    Twelve/am - Heavens Tear Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Wow, I made third place. o.o I'm really surprised, I thought my screenshot was horrible and I would definitely have been eliminated. xD

Uhm comments on the comments made:

Dorset: Thank you. n_n I'm not really good at timing things, and if I mash the print screen button too much the computer will just freeze and it will keep taking pictures of the screen it froze on instead of taking frame by frame pictures, so I can't do it that way either. b:surrender As for the porportions, it might be her skirt. I didn't change any proportions when I made her over for this contest, I left her the way she was. I can say that the skirt goes up high on the sides and gives the appearance of not having a waist, but she is there. I attempted to give her an "Hourglass figure" when I created her like this, so don't be shocked to see a thin waist and bigger hips/chest.

Crystalynnex: Haha that is exactly what I was going for. xD And no the mob was not intentional, but I shall call him Hermy b:cute And like I said to Dorset, if I could time better I would have showed her face. x3

Susylu: I didn't even think of an island resort, although TB area does look like one from the future x3 Now I'mma call it Fishie Island Getaway~~ *u* And don't hurt Hermy's feelings, he just wanted in the glory too~ D| And lol, actually, I was so happy that I was on when the sunrise was up, that I forgot to max out the graphics (I always have textures on medium, water on high, and everything else is at 0), but it was getting late into Wednesday and I thought a bad storm was coming so I had to log out and submit what I had because I didn't want my computer to crash and die like my other one :(

Thank you guys b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Siggie by Susylu, ofc. :)

I'mma girl barb... because we are gonna need barbs when the new expansion comes out. b:cute
  • B_K - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    thank you :D

the action i was going for with the shot was actually like i had been sleeping there all night, woke up and found this thing floating above me, and it was blocking out the sun to see what it was.

i had gone up there in hopes of clouds in the background but alas that didnt happen Q.Q

and Xainou where did you take that shot D: theres some things in your picture i had been searching for all over the map
  • Myralis - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Lol tbh I didnt even notice how ugly that rock is. Shame on me b:chuckle

I didnt even plan that one by the way. I just stood there, looked around, thought 'Oh a rock, lets jump on there', changed camera angle, blinked twice. 'Pride rock!!! O__O'
    I like the atmosphere it got, kinda... facing the new dawn with pride and honor^^
    But youre right, it doesnt really look like sunset lol Its taken in that time tho, so strange stuff :p

Yay, someone got my theme I was going for :D

Love the other entries too :) But it seems its hard to screen a sunset without it going eye blinding cause of too much shiny shiny haha

Edit: @B_K This is somewhere near fb39 actually. Next to the entrance of the valley the fb is in, just on the cliffs lol I didnt take a screen with UI so hard to tell coords x_x

• Tearle - Dreamweaver
    Tearle - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Gorgeous *o* love love love love THEM. All of them are wonderful.

Estiah looks like a spring sprite bringing in the season
    Agrona looks like Eos chaperoning in the dawn
    Distance is like a beach gal waking up to some stretches with a smile
    THe blue water and the Cynzia's yellow fashion are gorgeous together for the morning scene
    Yanani looks like a pirate queen about to kick some *** :D
    Xainou looks like a tribal leader glancing over her domain
    B_K looks like she's looking for a lover during sunet ;~; its so sweet and sad
    Temara looks like she's about to go to war and taking one last bathe in the morning
    Casey looks like an angel blessing the morning

Woo! I need moar coffee! But lovely all of them D: I wish mah screens skillz were even CLOSE to those.

Gorgeous!
  • Llux - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    Good job everyone! Very pretty shots~~

My favorite is Kyna's and Yanami's, just something about both of them. b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~My Screenshot Tumblr~
    insanitymogit.tumblr.com
  • Estiah - Dreamweaver
    Estiah - Dreamweaver Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    -chokes on Pepsi-
    holy Sh** i got 1st? O.o
    woot~
    the other entries were awesome btw, i especially like B_K's its really cute in a way >w<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Siggy By Belle~