What's up with Token prices?

LBunny - Sanctuary
LBunny - Sanctuary Posts: 5 Arc User
edited February 2011 in General Discussion
On Sanctuary, Tokens used to be around 11k, now 16-17k each. =/ I'm not a cash shopper, so I feel the difference. My main is a Cleric and I liked the cheap mana food I got for tokens, but it's getting ridiculously expensive... I got some for 14k yesterday, today I'm lucky if I can find some for 16k! WTF?
Post edited by LBunny - Sanctuary on

Comments

• DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    packs aren't on sale anymore.

They are still being sold, but not at a cheap enough price for people to want to buy them.
    The price of packs has gone back to normal, so the price of tokens naturally raises back up.
  • LBunny - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    My bad, I didn't even notice that. =/ *sighs* I guess I'll lvl my Veno now, she doesn't need any potions...
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    packs aren't on sale anymore.

They are still being sold, but not at a cheap enough price for people to want to buy them.
    The price of packs has gone back to normal, so the price of tokens naturally raises back up.

that would make perfect since if the tokens were not 11k back when the packs were not on sale.

before sale = 11k tokens
    sale = 11k tokens
    after sale = 17k tokens

im sorry but the OP has a point. the prices are messed...
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Those prices mean pack merchants are currently investing their coins elsewhere.
  • Brigid - Harshlands
    Brigid - Harshlands Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    In other words, there's a competing sale that's far, far more attractive. Specifically, rep and mysterious chips. +10 orbs too, now that I think about it.
  • Chadric - Heavens Tear
    Chadric - Heavens Tear Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    In other words, people are being greedy as usual. Like Furries said packs have gone on and off sale 50 fracking times, gold's gone from 500k to 800 to 1 mil to 800.. blah blah blah.... tokens stayed at 10-11k...

There's no reason for this honestly. btw tokens are the same on HT, 16-17k now. I know i'm not the only one not buying a single one.
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Packs are now pretty much at a constant price of at most 70 silver, no one wants to pay more since everyone knows that another pack sale is never far off, so they just save their gold
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • kepi117
    kepi117 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Its easy

When pack sales ended previously, they were back within 2 weeks. Tokens saved from the sale kept prices low

Its been more than two weeks and no sale. No one has left over tokens and very few people are buying packs, thus almost no tokens for sale and higher prices
  • LBunny - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    I hope there will be another pack sale. :s
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    _Skai_ - Raging Tide Posts: 3,407 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Actually..

Before sale: 50 Tiger packs = 33.75 gold
    Sale: 50 Tiger packs = 22.5 gold
    After sale: 50 Tiger packs = 45 gold

With the current sale and gold prices, tokens shot up like crazy..

The last time 50 Tiger packs cost 45 gold, gold was around 450k each.. That's why before sale Token prices were 10-11k each, and during the sale (on my server) they were 9.5-10k each, and now after sale they're rising slowly but consistently.

Where are the pack sales D:
    [SIGPIC]Octavia is best pony[/SIGPIC]
    Vicious's Brony. Brohoof!
    youtube.com/user/SkaiPW - Assassin PvE/PvP Videos!
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    that would make perfect since if the tokens were not 11k back when the packs were not on sale.

before sale = 11k tokens
    sale = 11k tokens
    after sale = 17k tokens

im sorry but the OP has a point. the prices are messed...
    Up until this month, Packs have been on-sale virtually non-stop for a year. I'd buy up a stack of ~1000 of them, then barely be able to sell them all at ~15% above sale price before they'd go on-sale again.

Between myself and maybe 3 other merchants we've been able to supply nearly a non-stop supply of cheap Packs (~350-450k) to everybody who wanted them, sale or no sale.

However, there hasn't been a decent Pack sale for over a month, and all of our Pack reserves were sold out a long time ago. Tokens are 18k+ because nobody has been buying Packs for over 3 weeks because they currently cost ~750k.

This is very simple, straight-forward supply and demand in action. There's absolutely nothing sneaky or mysterious going on.

- EDIT -

Oh, and just to clarify something:

Why, you might ask, didn't Gold follow the same pattern it had been doing all year and drop back down to ~400k after the most recent Pack sale ended? That would have made Packs reasonably still affordable and kept Token prices low.

Well, for some reason, merchants who had billions of coins lying around felt that ~800k Gold was actually still "cheap", even though nothing was on-sale. Perhaps they believed that another General Summer's Sale would soon return, and thus they bought Gold like crazy and kept the prices high, which made Packs too pricey for most people.

Would you call such merchants, "Greedy?" Perhaps, but I'd also call them "~150 million richer".
    In other words, people are being greedy as usual. Like Furries said packs have gone on and off sale 50 fracking times, gold's gone from 500k to 800 to 1 mil to 800.. blah blah blah.... tokens stayed at 10-11k...

There's no reason for this honestly. btw tokens are the same on HT, 16-17k now. I know i'm not the only one not buying a single one.
    Who's being greedy? The merchants who ran out of cheap Packs 3 weeks ago?

Are you expecting us to reach into some sort of magic bag and pull out more Packs?

Yeah, sorry, but we can't do that. We sold them a long time ago, because we expected another sale, and lo and behold it hasn't arrived yet.

I admit, though, that I recently did check an alt and discovered I had 75 Packs I'd forgotten about, but they were gone in less than an hour. I'm sorry that wasn't enough to offset the entire server's demand for Tokens over the past couple of weeks and keep the prices magically lower.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • RouxLouka - Dreamweaver
    RouxLouka - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I'm more concerned about actual gold prices. Dragon orb and rep on massive sales, yet gold barely rose up. What's going to happen when packs are on sale again? 1.6m gold?
    /quit.

</3 All packs/Awful community.
    edited February 2011
    I'm more concerned about actual gold prices. Dragon orb and rep on massive sales, yet gold barely rose up. What's going to happen when packs are on sale again? 1.6m gold?
    That's doubtful. At the moment Rep Badges are setting the price of Gold, not Packs.

My prediction is that as months pass and people get their Rank 8/9 the Rep Badges will start to slide in popularity and the focus will shift back to Packs. But for now it's General Summer's Sale(s) that are primarily setting Gold prices.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    edited February 2011
    I agree with Warren. Prices were slowly dropping on my server (albeit VERY slowly), but gradually enough to be noticeable when packs went off sale.

Then this sale came out.
  • Chadric - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2011
    lol Warren, so... no one's got enough tokens around to keep the price low? EVERY SHOP in HT this morning had over 5 thousand tokens..... I'm only using em for BH wines lately but still at these prices.. i'd rather go farm mats for half an hour b4 BH. b:surrender

Edit: I agree with everything you said... but considering the supply still (not to mention i still saw like 15 different shops with "packs" in the title).... it doesnt' make sense.
  • Tenronth - Lost City
    Tenronth - Lost City Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Tokens 19-23k in LC.
  • Chadric - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2011
    Tokens 19-23k in LC.

Holy **** :O
  • Flyingkea - Dreamweaver
    Flyingkea - Dreamweaver Posts: 158 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Tokens 19-23k in LC.

wow and I thought ~16k on DW was bad b:surrender
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    edited February 2011
    Tokens reaching 20k in RT..

And @ Chadric, 1 answer. Merchanters.

People who use them don't have many of them all the time. Merchanters hoard them all in, and don't sell until demand is really high. Then they can set their prices a lot higher, and profit.
  • WnbTank - Archosaur
    WnbTank - Archosaur Posts: 1,472 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Tokens reaching 20k in RT..

And @ Chadric, 1 answer. Merchanters.

People who use them don't have many of them all the time. Merchanters hoard them all in, and don't sell until demand is really high. Then they can set their prices a lot higher, and profit.

No, merchants keep the prices steady. W/o merchanters you`d see tokens, instead of kinda steady under 11k, to be lots more after sale is over. actually just where we are right now. This situation is simply due merchants are out of tokens and well, it`s pointless for you to sell too much under price ppl are willing to pay, why? If you do that, other merchanter just buys you out and sells them for what ppl are willing to pay.
    Trolling Sid since So Hot :o
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Don't worry, packs will be back, well....the discounts will. They listen to our demands apparently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • _Skai_ - Raging Tide
    edited February 2011
    @Wnb I agree with you here. I guess it's logical :(

And @Knownase As long as the demands have to do with them making money, they'll listen.
  • Michael_Dark - Lost City
    Michael_Dark - Lost City Posts: 9,091 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    The simple solution?

Next time packs are on sale and you see tokens for cheap. Make a couple thousand pots. They'll last you long enough until the next sale. xP
    I post in forums. This one and others. That's why I post.
  • Tearle - Dreamweaver
    Tearle - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I think it's funny that people used to rage when they went on sale and now we're demanding they go on sale. It seems we're addicted to the useful things you can get with tokens :c
  • Dralighte - Harshlands
    Dralighte - Harshlands Posts: 1,540 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Tokens 19-23k in LC.

22-25k on HL b:shocked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kylin: thrashtalk everyone, win TWs, serious faction -Dralighte
  • Hunnybunney - Harshlands
    Hunnybunney - Harshlands Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    If the prices go much higher itl be cheaper to buy NPC pots....... b:shocked
  • Leolin - Dreamweaver
    Leolin - Dreamweaver Posts: 103 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    lol...they'd have to go a lot more expensive for that to happen hunnybunney hehehe, and potions arent as good anyway. At current prices I can still npc mana pots for better effect herb food. I would shutter to think what buying them would cost.
  • Kupuntu - Sanctuary
    Kupuntu - Sanctuary Posts: 3,008 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    15.7k buy 16.7k sell on my shop. b:chuckle
    100% F2P player. Started PW: March 2007, Quit PW: March 2011.
    pwcalc.com/e7016929e7b204ae "Pure axe" 8k HP multipath BM, last one of my kind.
    edited February 2011
    lol Warren, so... no one's got enough tokens around to keep the price low? EVERY SHOP in HT this morning had over 5 thousand tokens..... I'm only using em for BH wines lately but still at these prices.. i'd rather go farm mats for half an hour b4 BH. b:surrender

Edit: I agree with everything you said... but considering the supply still (not to mention i still saw like 15 different shops with "packs" in the title).... it doesnt' make sense.
    Yeah, there are still a lot of hoarders left, and there always will be, but they're hoarders at heart, not merchants. They don't actually like selling their stuff, but as prices go up they get enticed into selling anyway.

Meanwhile, if you think like a merchant, you've probably already sold.

For example, my gf had ~135,000 Tokens she bought with the intention of merchanting. When prices were at ~13.5k Packs had been off-sale for 3 weeks, which for PWI meant about a 80% chance they'd be going back on-sale, so she decided it was time to sell for 35% profit, and thus she earned herself ~47.25 million.

Had Packs gone back on-sale, like they normally do, she'd have lost that 47.25 million, so it just wasn't worth the risk. Granted, if she had taken the long-shot and held onto them she'd now be able to sell them for ~18.5k, for an additional 37% profit, but frankly in my opinion that would have been a bad merchanting strategy based upon PWI cash-shop history.

- EDIT -

Kupuntu reminds me that I've been forgetting/omitting the buy/sell merchants from my analysis. They're always going to have Tokens, of course, since they're skimming their profits off of the price shift itself, rather than the long-term investment potential of the Tokens. They're both "supply" and "demand" at the same time, though. Right now true suppliers are investment merchants (most of which have sold-out), hoarders (who are only selling reluctantly), and a few random Pack addicts who just can't wait for the next sale.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Packs are still the same price in gold, but the coin value of gold has gone up by about two-fold due to this rep/orb sale. This makes packs less desirable until they...readjust the gold price of packs.
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty