Who else thinks exp loss is the most cruel way to die?

Options
2»

Comments

• WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    That approach involves him playing the economy. He hasn't found the benefits of crafting apoth yet, even...
    That seems somewhat patronizing, though. Why give poor financial advice and justify it with, "Well, he's too much of a noob to handle good advice, so I'll dumb it down for him and let him pay the extra"?

Granted, I totally will concede that a huge segment of the game population constantly makes bad financial decisions and would rather take the loss than use their brains. After all, as a merchant I earn my billions by picking up the money they are throwing away. But I'd rather give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they'd prefer the best advice possible.

Whether they then go on to use it is up to them.
    And I checked West Arch a few minutes ago. Tokens are going for 23K or so in vends and gold was at 875K. So at this moment, on Lost City, it's 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
    Actually, at those prices, it would be 6 of one, 7.6 of the other.
    The basic utility of the item was my point. And you did nothing to refute it. ;)
    Yeah, I wasn't arguing against the utility, hence why I did nothing to refute it.

But I have a soft spot for pointing out when people are wasting their money needlessly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Fintan - Lost City
    Fintan - Lost City Posts: 1,245 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    That seems somewhat patronizing, though. Why give poor financial advice and justify it with, "Well, he's too much of a noob to handle good advice, so I'll dumb it down for him and let him pay the extra"?

Granted, I totally will concede that a huge segment of the game population constantly makes bad financial decisions and would rather take the loss than use their brains. After all, as a merchant I earn my billions by picking up the money they are throwing away. But I'd rather give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they'd prefer the best advice possible.

Whether they then go on to use it is up to them.

Actually, at those prices, it would be 6 of one, 7.6 of the other.

Yeah, I wasn't arguing against the utility, hence why I did nothing to refute it.

But I have a soft spot for pointing out when people are wasting their money needlessly.

While it may be patronizing, it's also the reality. Figuring out the in-game economy mechanics when all you want to do is survive your mobs is mixing up priorities. At that level, I can assume he doesn't have the coin to go and buy a bunch of gold and/or tokens. So CS is the obvious answer.

Whether he wants to take the time to deal with the conversion of the gold to coin then find a good deal on tokens and then make scrolls, that's up to him. Considering I know lots of people who would rather just buy from the Boutique straight up than figure out tokens for what's often a fairly minor difference in price, I can't imagine it being a high priority for a new 3x player to do yet.

I do agree that, long term, he may want to figure out better ways of obtaining them. But hitting up the "I need stuff nao!" page is by far the easiest approach for someone new to the game. And, as I pointed out, at this moment, it's not that different in price.

You can feel free to explain the market's economics to him. In the mean time, I'll try to give simple answers to simple questions. b:chuckle
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    MuSHRooMS - Lost City (currently inviting new members) b:victory
    WeAreMuSHRooMS.com
  • storehammy
    storehammy Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    O.o what kind of Mmo does perma-death. That sounds intense.

But dear Op, when you die you maybe lose 7%? when I die I lose less than 1% but if for some reason I decide to grind it (which I wouldn't, I'd just do bh or cs) it would take several times longer for me to get it back than for you to lvl.

Just saying :D

If done right, a really fun MMO does.
    hemoglobin: idk how the hell you can turn the word burrito into something sexual. perversion at its finest
    b:shocked
    Nastassiya - Sanctuary
    A clone of MagicHamsta... wow. He's original but you're not.

Me are hibernating. *poof*
  • GenericBrand - Archosaur
    GenericBrand - Archosaur Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i came from another MMO game where exp loss was normal and you even deleveled.

lol yes~ Such fun memories from that game b:laugh

"Hey I just dinged!"
    *get aggro and die*
    "...dong -_-"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FoxRunning - Heavens Tear
    FoxRunning - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,048 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i always keep an HP charm on, and carry guardian scrolls, and keep a close watch on my HP meter, always ready to jump up in the air on my air mount, to get away from whatever is beating me up too much.

its harder when you are lower level, and dont have an air mount, so using the life powder you can make early on really helps, even if farming the herbs does slow your leveling some. its worth the time.

Ugh, I'm mad when I should be lv 38 by now but dying happens to frequently and easily to squishy characters. I have to rely solely on crazy stone to lvl up. One death = 20-30 monsters to kill to get that exp back. Out of all the mmos I've played, I hardly complained about dying but exp loss definitely pushes my buttons >.<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (and hugs to Flauschkatze for the sig!)
    "Thanks for writing me-- it's always great to hear from a vet.

-FrankieRaye"
    Playing here since '08b:heart
  • LShattered - Heavens Tear
    LShattered - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,365 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Get over it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ☆Heavy Armor Venomancer since level 1☆
    Previously known as _Surreal_b:avoid

Sig by me.

[=>theempire.ucoz.com<=]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i always keep an HP charm on, and carry guardian scrolls, and keep a close watch on my HP meter, always ready to jump up in the air on my air mount, to get away from whatever is beating me up too much.

its harder when you are lower level, and dont have an air mount, so using the life powder you can make early on really helps, even if farming the herbs does slow your leveling some. its worth the time.

My BM's first death was at level 46, because I made a mistake and underestimated a magic damage mob.

I spam died in secret passage trying to help someone kill Dismal Shade. Having Silver Frost aggro me 4 times didn't really help. I was level 28. Dismal kept running over into Silver, and I didn't cancel auto-attack. :p

My Archer didn't die until 59, during a FAIL as can be FB59. Sin and Cleric didn't get along, and the sin caused an intentional squad wipe. I actually RageUnpluggedMyComputer at 3 am because I was tired of listening to the Cleric QQ for 30 minutes about not going to town, and blah blah blah this "it'll cost me 300k exp to go to town". Irony... I got a -3% channeling ring off Ofo, which is the last boss we did, and I didn't even see that until 3 weeks later when I got back on that char. b:laugh (I'm not counting the ever-necessary suicide for culti that you have to do before this... Just to stop someone from QQing. since, you know, you actually run INTO mobs, and have them kill you, it's not really what this thread is about.)

My veno spam died at level 3 because it was open beta and I ran out and attacked the nearest level 10 mob and got oneshotted repeatedly (actually, I can't remember first death on that char). And my Barb has yet to die, at 23. :p

The secret to not dieing... Is to use good gear, use the right skills, and not attack 12 mobs at the same time (use a FREAKING ZEAL if you aren't a veno).
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Samaela - Dreamweaver
    Samaela - Dreamweaver Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Quit dying. Problem solved.

Really though, I don't think the exp loss in PWi is a bad punishment. I might think that because I'm a fan of the previous mentioned Blizzard game, but really, even at my level losing 5% isn't really worth crying over.

Learn how to play and the tricks to stay alive, pots is your friend, level your apoth skill and farm life powder and at your level it shouldn't be too hard to find a cleric to squad with. When I was at 3x there was nothing I liked more than squadding with others, they didn't die because of my heals and I died less because my squishy butt didn't get hit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Samaela[demon cleric]||Nanimee[mystic]||aquaelle[psychic]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Uh, you know, thinking back...

What's wrong with losing exp? Do you lose spirit? No...

Think of it as a little extra spirit for those skills you don't use, or for those genie skills you use instead.

Heh, I'm almost tempted to get to 99%, and spam die down to 0%. Might be better to just dump it all into a Genie... b:chuckle
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • EchoFae - Archosaur
    EchoFae - Archosaur Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    maybe it's because I'm a low level still but when I die it doesn't seem like I lose that much experience. I don't die much anymore since I started stacking about 4 ironheart blessing before and during battle that someone showed me. I never played any online games or a game to much like this before, on the games I've played, when you die, you have to start a quest all over again so maybe this isn't that bad..lol b:chuckle
    !*LOL*! b:chuckle
  • Xarathox - Dreamweaver
    Xarathox - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,657 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Well I'm sorry if I seem to sound like a newbie but I'm not that knowledgeable on this game and everything that helps to get more exp is EXPENSIVE. I don't know any money making techniques and this game is quite different than other games I've played. Plus some of us don't have the time and energy like some other people to play for hours and hours. I chose to play to ease off some steam and it was recommended from a friend.

I'm an assassin and I use light armor and my daggers are reasonable for my level.

Charms and pots are pretty much your only friends 'til higher lvls on a sin. I used a platinum charm on mine when I rolled it. Lasted a whole 3 weeks before I had to replace it, though the sin hit mid 70's by that time.
    Some people risk to employ me

Some people live to destroy me

Either way they die
  • sig1043a
    sig1043a Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Ugh, I'm mad when I should be lv 38 by now but dying happens to frequently and easily to squishy characters. I have to rely solely on crazy stone to lvl up. One death = 20-30 monsters to kill to get that exp back. Out of all the mmos I've played, I hardly complained about dying but exp loss definitely pushes my buttons >.<

Assasins are probably the slowest/hardest class to level at the lower levels.

Things that you can reasonably do as a new player would be to level up your apothecary skill and make some HP/MP items. Get Second Wind on your genie, it will save you a lot of potions. You should also try to get a zeal genie, it will let you lure enemies without aggroing other enemies. And of course use bloodpaint.

If you still have problems dying, go in the city and beg for some cleric buffs or try to team up with other players doing the same quest as you.
  • Atria - Heavens Tear
    Atria - Heavens Tear Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    How many times I have ranted endlessly about this on Faction chat. xD
  • flamingahole
    flamingahole Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    O.o what kind of Mmo does perma-death. That sounds intense.

It's hardcore yo. The company who made the game was careful to say that they're not responsible for the death of your character due to any reason though so it's all good ("any reason" being lag, acts of god, little sisters, etc). Fun times.

As for OP. There has to be some penalty for death and I for one prefer losing some exp rather than gear. Honestly though, the exp you lose at your level isn't much at all and a few minutes of grinding get you back to where you were. If you're really having trouble staying alive then take some time to farm golden herbs and nectars to make life powder. It's like god mode for lower levels. It was still useful even in my 60s but not so much after 70 but bloodpaint really starts to shine by that point.
    You have three chances to guess the reason for the post above.
  • Lady_of_rage - Lost City
    Lady_of_rage - Lost City Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Just be greatful we don't loose Spirit too b:shocked
    We are Death, destroyer of Worlds
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    @OP: Who else thinks exp loss is the most cruel way to die?

matter of perspective. ask my friend, who i drop on sword tammer sometimes.
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • XSheLioNx - Heavens Tear
    XSheLioNx - Heavens Tear Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I don't think it's cruel, I just think of it as something to avoid(meaning:play a little more carefully).
  • Tearle - Dreamweaver
    Tearle - Dreamweaver Posts: 511 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Paramedic that made me b:chuckle

Are the forums not quoting properly for anyone else? Or do they just dislike me as of late?
  • Sirrobert - Dreamweaver
    Sirrobert - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,395 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    You mean there are actually MMO's out there where you don't lose anything when you die?
    9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm not crazy... the 10th is singing the music of tetris
  • Mrs_kasshu - Dreamweaver
    Mrs_kasshu - Dreamweaver Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Losing experience when dying at low levels is nothing. You just lose even more at high levels, even though you can still just gain it back. I don't even think losing experience is the cruelest way to die. I used to play this one game, where if you died, you could only keep 3 items on you, and that basically took up your armor and weapon. So if you were out grinding and died, you would lose all your coins and items in your bag. That's much worse than losing experience.
    Current main: Mrs_Kasshu, Dreamweaver (actively pew-pewing)
    Current alt: Ms_HopToIt, Sanctuary (semi-retired)