AOE defense

Options
Kuddadar - Sanctuary
Kuddadar - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
edited February 2011 in Cleric
I have a low 60'ish CLERIC wearing robes and resist gear with mostly a Magic stats build.

What would be my options in building up for AOE defense, for example, against Rankar in Secret Frostcover Grounds?

Should I add gems to my gear slots to increase Physical Defense, or add gems to increase HP?

Thanks!
Post edited by Kuddadar - Sanctuary on

Comments

• MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Stand back and use chromatic healing beam and possibly add some citrines to increase you hps as well as ornaments.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    First off, stop using vendor trash for armor. b:shocked I see a lot of clerics get killed in BH51 right through BB even by Rankar, I peek at their gear, and it all came straight from the Tailor.

get Blue gear, purple gear or legendary. Citrines are okay, but if your PDef still sucks, shard with some Garnets.

It's expensive, but being unable to heal the tank due to dieing from AOE on a boss in BH51 is worse. And the AOE doesn't stop in BH51, there are AOE bosses in 69, TT, and after. So either add in more Vit, get good gear and shard it with a few garnets and cits, or get used to dieing a lot and because yelled at for causing squad wipes. =\

And... yeah, I had this problem on my cleric. I fixed it with Legendary gear sharded with Garnets.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Flying_Flash - Sanctuary
    Flying_Flash - Sanctuary Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    I don't think I sharded my gear until the later 80's and early 90's. Though I'm a 100 vit cleric lol

The best tip for Rankar like stated above is to just stay as far back as possible. That AoE will destroy you up close even if you are in BB. I've seen clerics can one shot in it lol. At a distance it does much less damage and you can either AoE Heal or use IH + Wellspring on everyone else.

Wyvern there, well, depends on the squad. If you've got a lot of ranged DD you can sit back and just IH the tank and purify. If you have a lot of up close melee classes, perhaps BB up close ;)
  • Styx_Phoenix - Sanctuary
    Styx_Phoenix - Sanctuary Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    get Blue gear, purple gear or legendary. Citrines are okay, but if your PDef still sucks, shard with some Garnets.

._. personally i dislike garnets on clerics. i shard all with citrine. when a cleric has enough hp to last one hit, he can always heal the rest... plus bb can half damage, it's usually not the phys def that's the only problem. but that's personal preference i guess.

as for rankar. OMG NEVER BB AT RANKAR.
    rankar breaks bb, if you bb, most likely you'll get squad wiped...

but i do agree that you should use at least blue gear, and pick nice ones that gives +def or +hp, +vit, +mag or something useful.....

but referring back on topic... best thing against aoes is just bb... when you can't bb, stand far far far away and use chromatic heal + stack IH on the tank...
  • Clandore - Lost City
    Clandore - Lost City Posts: 180 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    ._. personally i dislike garnets on clerics. i shard all with citrine. when a cleric has enough hp to last one hit, he can always heal the rest... plus bb can half damage, it's usually not the phys def that's the only problem. but that's personal preference i guess.

Or, for a more objective decision, pull up PWCalc and experiment with citrine/garnet sharding combinations until you get the highest tankable damage when dividing HP by (1 - pdef percentage)
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Because clerics have their own defense buffs, I shard 1 or 2 of my armor pieces entirely with garnets, giving me 1/4 garnets and 3/4 citrine. We will never be unbuffed because its our own buff, so I don't feel a huge need to add citrines for pdef but I also realize they become multiplied by our buff for more than the just the "Add +xx amount of physical defense" from the shard.

As for aoes. I can't remember if its Rankar or Wyvern (I think Wyvern) but one of them had a long range magic aoe and a short range physical aoe. Many bosses are like this. The magic aoe is entirely tankable but avoid being close enough you catch the physical aoe. Heal from max range since once your IH is maxed its longer than most boss aoes. Also, have the barb between you and the boss so the boss is that much farther away.

If it is a physical aoe you can use Plume Shell every 30 seconds for 20 seconds of protection, and Plume Shell can be maxed by level 54. Later levels you will have Wings of Protection you can use once, although since its hp based it doesn't do a whole lot for clerics, and I prefer to save it for "tagging" a person when aggro change as I WS and save them. It also has a 3 minute cooldown.

And gear. Grind for better gear. Don't level till you have it. I am a base 5 vit cleric and didn't have problems with Rankars aoe. I only had mediocre 3 stars gears, sharded (hp) and refined +1-2.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
    edited February 2011
    Options

as for rankar. OMG NEVER BB AT RANKAR.
    rankar breaks bb, if you bb, most likely you'll get squad wiped...

but i do agree that you should use at least blue gear, and pick nice ones that gives +def or +hp, +vit, +mag or something useful.....

but referring back on topic... best thing against aoes is just bb... when you can't bb, stand far far far away and use chromatic heal + stack IH on the tank...

I've heard Rank breaks BB, but the last 3~4 runs I've done on BM, a cleric BBed at Ranky and he didn't break BB. We had two fist BM's and we were both spamming shadowless punch, so there may have NOT BEEN any AOE though.

As for Garnets... If I ran Cits in my Cleric... her PDef is 650 without them. Even with Cits, Soulbanisher oneshots her through BB, and for WELL more than her Sage Barb Buffed HP (I mean, last time it happened, I thought I glitched back to a hand and got The Clap). 600 PDef at level 72 is really, really, really, way too low. 1.2 to 1.5k is like, minimum you should have, and that's with pdef ornaments. otherwise, physical AOE will oneshot you. Drummer in 1-1 will hit me very hard. In 1-3, his AOE ticks my charm. So I shard Garnets.

And this is especially true if you do runs and you aren't guaranteed to have a BM in your squad, or BM buffs.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    focused on any gear or any dropped gear with bonuses that had phy defense. from Lv50 to present. (refine at least +3) Never ever had any problems surviving with aoe's with my build in any pve instances past or present except harpy wraith sometimes >_>, and ive ran through every boss and quest in the game.

STALK THE AUCTION
    you will find superb deals and 2-3 star gear than are better than molds or TT sometimes, and for a cheaper price!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Nitefoxy - Sanctuary
    Nitefoxy - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Good information here. I had the same question on my mind too.
  • Kuddadar - Sanctuary
    Kuddadar - Sanctuary Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the tips from all of you. Lots of good discussion here. I think I was standing too close to Rankar while healing the tank. I'll remember to heal from max distance next time.

It seems like I am changing gear less often now, so I like to improve what I have on. I am wearing the better Rank gear. Good advise in Refining and adding Garnets and Citrine to the open slots. I'll throw some points into Vit too.

Got to make more coins so I could 'stalk the auction' for better gear too. Appreciate all of the advise so I could bring my cleric up to play at a higher level.

THANKS !!!
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Rankar does interupt bb, but its less common at higher levels. Pretty much once you hit about lvl 70 you can bb without it being interupted, or interupts very rarely. Target the tank and be prepared to heal like mad just in case it drops. No afk fapping in bb on rankar, soz.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Rankar does interupt bb, but its less common at higher levels. Pretty much once you hit about lvl 70 you can bb without it being interupted, or interupts very rarely. Target the tank and be prepared to heal like mad just in case it drops. No afk fapping in bb on rankar, soz.

Hahaha. I'll have to get some vendor trash for my BM then, because I steal aggro from almost every barb in there on Rank, each time I hit. >_> joy.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Kahurangi - Sanctuary
    Kahurangi - Sanctuary Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone, very helpful :) Sarrafeline, do you use all garnets in your gear? Or a mix of vit/garnet gems?
  • ManeK - Harshlands
    ManeK - Harshlands Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Options
    i see lots of clerics around that level range with magic ornaments and thats probably one of the reasons why they die so easily at aoe bosses.

i suggest checking the Auction House on a daily basis to find any cheap bargains :)
    Level 100 Blademaster - Diverse (Harshlands)
    Level 97 Cleric - ManeK (Harshlands)
    Level 91 Wizard - lnnocent (Harshlands)
    Level 86 Archer - AimLow (Harshlands)

May The Force Not Be With You!! b:victoryb:laugh