New Archer

albertodelrio666
albertodelrio666 Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2011 in Archer
Hi,

I'm new to PWI. But I'm playing Archer, so that, automatically, makes me imba/cool.

Any tips for a fresh Archer? I'm lvl 10 atm.

( I've put, by mistake, 2 points into Vitality, is there a way to reset them? )

Is there an algoritm to put the points? I've seen 1str/4dex as an advice.

Thank you,

Albertodel
Post edited by albertodelrio666 on

Comments

• Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    The best tip is to look at the stickies.
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    ( I've put, by mistake, 2 points into Vitality, is there a way to reset them? )

yes; you can buy a reset scroll. but for two measly points, the price of one of those wouldn't even begin to be worth it. don't worry about mistakes that small --- if it had been twenty or thirty points, then maybe, but...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Albertodel - Harshlands
    Albertodel - Harshlands Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    The best tip is to look at the stickies.

Was thinking in general, I've read some of the stickies :)

Thx LenieClarke.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Was thinking in general, I've read some of the stickies :)

Thx LenieClarke.

Ok, that sounds plausible, but we do not know how much you got out of the stickies.

Anyways, for general advice: try to be observant. There are things you can do which are not covered in the stickies, or where the stickies might even be misleading, and the only good way to discover them involves being aware of how things work for you.

Also, personally, I would try to avoid taking big losses to gain small efficiencies, but efficiencies make some things possible, and some thresholds can only be crossed by venturing heavily into regions of diminishing returns.

And, finally: this game is full of little secrets, and full of people that know everything even when they are wrong. They can be your best customers.
  • tehiro
    tehiro Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Fleuri, I award you ma'am one internets for valuable insite and speaking truth

+1
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    Best advice I can give is to echo what Fleuri said. Make this game your own, and make your character your own. Reading the stickies and such is useful to see what others do, but then you need to supplement that with what you want to do - otherwise you'll just be comparing yourself to others all the time.

Aside from that, may I ask why you rolled on Harshlands? Not to knock the server itself, but PVP in this game has been vastly unbalanced in favor of those who spend way too much time/money on this game, for quite a while now. While I commend you if you intend to be "competitive" on such a server, you may ultimately find it fruitless.

If it were me, I'd reroll on a PVE server. Heaven's Tear, for example has a large active population resulting in more resources and cheaper prices for things (its PVP equivalent would probably be Lost City). Archosaur, by contrast, has a smaller population and no single faction in dominance over the TW map (yet), but prices are often higher there (as an educated guess, I'd say Harshlands is probably populated about the same).

But again, it's all up to you. If you're having fun, you're doing it right... end of discussion. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
    edited February 2011
    Another thing:

I am lvl 21 atm, with decent gear ( rank 3 or 4, bow is 4 for example ).

I'm spending huge amounts of time meditating. I can't kill more than 2 mobs without being forced to meditate ( or I'll die at the 3rd mob ).

We must rely on potions? Or am I just noob.
    edited February 2011
    edited February 2011

thx but the amount of dmg im receiving is quite staggering.

my bow is lvl 5 btw, missread earlier.

im drinking health pots like crazy, spending a fortune on them.

ive been told in game that this is normal, other classes drink non stop mana pots.
    edited February 2011
    The idea is that you should be able to kill them before they reach you.

- Are you moving to max distance.
    - Are you using the Trial Crossbow that you received as a quest reward.
    - Is Blazing Arrow always on?
    - Are you following the combo suggested in the link I gave you?
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    my bow is lvl 5 btw, missread earlier.

im drinking health pots like crazy, spending a fortune on them.

I would suggest:

(1) Visit the elder of your city, and learn apothecary, level 1 (you will need to get a pickaxe to accomplish this and will have to complete a small quest, but level 1 of the skill itself will be free).
    (2) Go out and dig 150 nectars and 100 golden herbs (this will take a few hours).
    (3) Go to an apothecary and make 10 batches of life powder.

When you are grinding and you need health, use one of those life powders. Apothecaries share a two minute cooldown (which you should not care about now but may care about later) and last for 10 minutes and during that 10 minutes they heal you for 12.5 health per second when you are in combat, 50 health/second when you are not in combat, 100 health per second when you are meditating (except if you meditate immediately after you leave combat for the first approximately 10 seconds you will get 25 health per second).

This kind of healing will be relatively minor when you are high level, but for a starting character it can be very handy.

And, after making 10 batches, you will be eligible to learn level 2 apothecary (which will let you make a mana restoration powder that you can use when you reach level 30).

Beware though: life powder is said to be a gateway drug for the hard stuff (like Ironguard Powder).

b:faint
  • Sint - Harshlands
    Sint - Harshlands Posts: 579 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I would suggest:

(1) Visit the elder of your city, and learn apothecary, level 1 (you will need to get a pickaxe to accomplish this and will have to complete a small quest, but level 1 of the skill itself will be free).
    (2) Go out and dig 150 nectars and 100 golden herbs (this will take a few hours).
    (3) Go to an apothecary and make 10 batches of life powder.

When you are grinding and you need health, use one of those life powders. Apothecaries share a two minute cooldown (which you should not care about now but may care about later) and last for 10 minutes and during that 10 minutes they heal you for 12.5 health per second when you are in combat, 50 health/second when you are not in combat, 100 health per second when you are meditating (except if you meditate immediately after you leave combat for the first approximately 10 seconds you will get 25 health per second).

This kind of healing will be relatively minor when you are high level, but for a starting character it can be very handy.

And, after making 10 batches, you will be eligible to learn level 2 apothecary (which will let you make a mana restoration powder that you can use when you reach level 30).

Beware though: life powder is said to be a gateway drug for the hard stuff (like Ironguard Powder).

b:faint

i'm really happy for you, and i'm gonna let you finish, but FLEURI, YOU'RE MY HERO. HUG ME! if you'd posted this a few(15) months ago, that would have been useful to me.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    edited February 2011
    i'm really happy for you, and i'm gonna let you finish, but FLEURI, YOU'RE MY HERO. HUG ME! if you'd posted this a few(15) months ago, that would have been useful to me.

Oops, I am sorry I was being so slow there.

b:cute

And you had me looking to see if this thread was a necro!?! b:chuckle
    edited February 2011
    The idea is that you should be able to kill them before they reach you.

- Are you moving to max distance.
    - Are you using the Trial Crossbow that you received as a quest reward.
    - Is Blazing Arrow always on?
    - Are you following the combo suggested in the link I gave you?

I'm using a longbow, 158 - 294 dmg.

I'm staying at max distance.

Blazing Arrow and dodge buff.

My combo is: Take Aim / Frost Arrow / Auto Attacks

It's better now, I'm lvl 25. I think the problem was that at lvl 21, I was killing mobs lvls 22/23/24.
  • Galliteya - Raging Tide
    Galliteya - Raging Tide Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    I have a 26 archer. I don't hardly drink potions at all. I tend to buy more than I use ><. Why are you not using knock back arrow. b:shocked You shouldn't be getting hit hardly at all at that level. Are you using winged shell every time it's off cooldown. That can protect you from alot of damge. I use it to refill my mana a little bit.

That crossbow you get from your fb19 is what you should be using with 2 +Physical damage gems. I pretty much 2 shot things.

Where are you puting your points at each level. Should be 4dex 1str. Here is my combo for my archer:

If I have full chi bar I use Frost arrow>Normal Attack>Normal Attack>(We do most of our damage with normal shots)>Knockback Arrow>Finish with normal.

I used to start with take aim but now I use it just for a quick bit of chi. Frost arrow is your best friend. You will grind much faster. If Winged Shell if off cool down before a fight. Cast it first. Good luck and happy gaming! b:victory
  • Alkaia - Harshlands
    Alkaia - Harshlands Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited February 2011

If it were me, I'd reroll on a PVE server.

What else you got to do at end game besides pvp? Farm all day long?

careb:pleased
    edited February 2011
    I have a 26 archer. I don't hardly drink potions at all. I tend to buy more than I use ><. Why are you not using knock back arrow. b:shocked You shouldn't be getting hit hardly at all at that level. Are you using winged shell every time it's off cooldown. That can protect you from alot of damge. I use it to refill my mana a little bit.

That crossbow you get from your fb19 is what you should be using with 2 +Physical damage gems. I pretty much 2 shot things.

Where are you puting your points at each level. Should be 4dex 1str. Here is my combo for my archer:

If I have full chi bar I use Frost arrow>Normal Attack>Normal Attack>(We do most of our damage with normal shots)>Knockback Arrow>Finish with normal.

I used to start with take aim but now I use it just for a quick bit of chi. Frost arrow is your best friend. You will grind much faster. If Winged Shell if off cool down before a fight. Cast it first. Good luck and happy gaming! b:victory

what does fb19 mean?

im getting knockback arrow, didnt have enough for it.

im putting 4dex1str
  • Miugre - Heavens Tear
    Miugre - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited February 2011
    fb19 is a dungeon that you should have done six levels ago. ._. a general rule of thumb is that whenever there is a yellow-named or purple-named quest, you should try to do it before anything else. Also, anything that says "Call to Duty" is related to an fb.

As for the matter of taking damage... you should know that this is very, very normal for your level. The 20s are often fairly hard for archers. Look into the Apothecary skill and make yourself some Life Powder (+50 HP recovery/second for 10 mins) and Chaos Powder (2000 HP / 30 seconds). Then at level 30, look into Focus Powder and Jade Powder for your MP. This will make a pretty big difference.

Once you get to 60, most things won't get within melee range of you - if anything, they'll cast magic. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Yes, I'm still a stubborn holdout in favor of the old game. Haters gonna hate. ;]

Other Active Characters:
    LigerKing (Barb), Girasole (BM), Shamsheer (Sin), ArborSoul (Mystic).
    edited February 2011
    fb19 is a dungeon that you should have done six levels ago. ._. a general rule of thumb is that whenever there is a yellow-named or purple-named quest, you should try to do it before anything else. Also, anything that says "Call to Duty" is related to an fb.

As for the matter of taking damage... you should know that this is very, very normal for your level. The 20s are often fairly hard for archers. Look into the Apothecary skill and make yourself some Life Powder (+50 HP recovery/second for 10 mins) and Chaos Powder (2000 HP / 30 seconds). Then at level 30, look into Focus Powder and Jade Powder for your MP. This will make a pretty big difference.

Once you get to 60, most things won't get within melee range of you - if anything, they'll cast magic. :P

Ok, didnt know of the dungeon. On my server, many are very high lvl, cant beg in guild for help.

About taking dmg, what u say ( As for the matter of taking damage... you should know that this is very, very normal for your level. ) its the exact oposite of what the other said ( which said im a noob basically b:laugh ).
    edited February 2011
    Ok, didnt know of the dungeon. On my server, many are very high lvl, cant beg in guild for help.

About taking dmg, what u say ( As for the matter of taking damage... you should know that this is very, very normal for your level. ) its the exact oposite of what the other said ( which said im a noob basically b:laugh ).

You can "kite" the mobs if they get too close. Just run away and after you have achieved some measure of distance, start shooting the target again.

Or do apothecary, that works as well.
    edited February 2011
    Did the dungeon last night, got the xbow, socketed it with 9 physical and 12 physical.

Got Knockback Arrow, works great.

Thank you very much for the help!

b:victory
    edited March 2011
    Got to lvl 29 today, as I took a small break from gaming.

I'm still drinking potions, but less than before b:cute

My question is: where can I get a better ranged weapon? I'm still using the one from fb19. Which is still quite decent.

Thank you.
    edited March 2011
    Auction House, really.
    edited March 2011
    Auction House, really.

Multumesc b:kiss
    edited March 2011
    searched the AH and nothing, only high lvl weapons.

any other tips?

im 32 atm, probably 33/34 tonight.
    edited March 2011
    So my diary continues.

I'm 35 atm, probably 36 very soon.

Got a white xbow from the Blacksmith, better dmg than my fb19 xbow.

Started making small amounts of cash selling stuff in the ah.

Question: is it worth it to buy, with irl cash, an inventory extension?

Question: is it worth it to buy, with irl cash, some better wings?

Thank you.
    edited March 2011
    You can play this game without paying real life money. I have yet to put a single cent into this game.

That being said, I think the Super Inventory Stone and Super Bank Extension are fairly important.

Wings are not that important. You can upgrade the wing skill for speed, or just obtain some faster wings when you level up.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    edited March 2011
    You can play this game without paying real life money. I have yet to put a single cent into this game.

That being said, I think the Super Inventory Stone and Super Bank Extension are fairly important.

Wings are not that important. You can upgrade the wing skill for speed, or just obtain some faster wings when you level up.

And the level 1 wings just look better than any other wings, in my opinion. Though even with level 10 flight mastery, they are noticably slower than boutique wings.

I am still waiting for the "winged god" set to be available here. (We have the ones that look like that with a mist effect, but the mist effect interacts badly with so many other effects and the wings look awful when that happens.)

Cupboard stones are also useful (and the boutique agent can make them for you, if you have tokens for her -- in essence, each square in your cupboard costs you five tokens, though you have to get them in full rows).
    edited March 2011
    Thank you for your input.

I think I'll buy the inventory upgrade vs irl cash, it's quite cheap.

About the wings, I'll wait a bit :P I have now something called like Lion Wings, +0.5 metters speed, you can actually see the increase.
  • Sereneai - Dreamweaver
    Sereneai - Dreamweaver Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited March 2011
    and the boutique agent can make them for you, if you have tokens for her -- in essence, each square in your cupboard costs you five tokens, though you have to get them in full rows).

*blink* hey, i learned something new! tokens i can get XD just refuse to spend real money in game.
    Things said during a Twizted faction PK session:
    Slayer_of_Souls: you guys are such suck ups. none of you have attacked twid.
    Twiddzly(fac leader): no, sere killed me already.
    Slayer_of_Souls: he's out there waiting for us, isn't he. i'm gonna die.
    Sereneai: b:sin why don't you come find out.
    Kinglkaruga: you go first dule.