Almost feeling some guilt playing for free

Squallrogue - Sanctuary
Squallrogue - Sanctuary Posts: 11 Arc User
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
I almost feel some guilt that I'm playing their fine game for free. I know creating a game like this takes a lot of work and by all rights the game creators should be compensated for it. But at the same time I'm unemployed and not getting any income myself, being i'm an adult. So I can't feel much sympathy for the game creators that I'd want to give them money when I'm not making any money myself. I'm playing the video game only to pass the time while I'm not working. When I will be working then more likely I won't be playing this game or any game at all because I will be preoccupied with my job.
Post edited by Squallrogue - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Roseary - Sanctuary
    Roseary - Sanctuary Posts: 978 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I'd feel guilt to if the devs actually fixed stuff in the game instead of just add.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • breeziez
    breeziez Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Trust me they make more money from the cash shops than they would if this game had a monthly price tag....So I feel no guilt... and I'm sure they aren't when watching their money stack in the stock market.
  • XXKimikoXx - Heavens Tear
    XXKimikoXx - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,569 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I almost feel guilty using my own money to buy virtual itemsb:chuckle
    Thanks for the siggy Dorset
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Once upon a time I had a dirty little secret but then I took it to the dry cleanersb:laugh

-Currently residing in the real world-
  • ZeaKuro - Raging Tide
    ZeaKuro - Raging Tide Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I do feel guilty that if I was playing a P2P game I would of spent far less than I have. And the amount I plan on spending [wish list items] I could host my own server. b:surrender
    as-sas-sin
    /əˈsasin/
    n.
    1. One who murders by surprise attack, especially one who carries out a plot to kill a prominent person.
    synonyms: murderer, killer, gunman, executioner, informalhitman, hired gun.
    Latin assassnus; Greek δολοφόνος
  • Samaela - Dreamweaver
    Samaela - Dreamweaver Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I almost feel guilty over the fact that I really don't give a damn. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Samaela[demon cleric]||Nanimee[mystic]||aquaelle[psychic]
  • Gorwulf - Sanctuary
    Gorwulf - Sanctuary Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    i dont feel guilty at all, cash shoppers pay for me to play for free hehehehe b:chuckle
  • YingXiaolong - Raging Tide
    YingXiaolong - Raging Tide Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    i dont feel guilty at all, cash shoppers pay for me to play for free hehehehe b:chuckle

Amen, lol.
  • Skulla - Dreamweaver
    Skulla - Dreamweaver Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Why feel guilty for playing a F2P game?

The designers changed the orientation of the game from P2P to F2P because they knew they could earn more in the long run by offering a game to the widest possible audience and allowing THEM to choose what to pay.

The design of the game incorporates a low(no)-cost, time intensive method of acquiring nearly everything you could want in game.

The Boutique was designed to allow you to choose to save time by spending more.

Had the licensees of the franchise in the US kept this in mind they wouldn't be gouging the players of the game for short-term revenue with perpetual sales that unbalance the F2P/P2P sides of the game at the expense of long-term revenue provided by normal population growth.

Since they didn't, you now have an in-game economy that is so far out of balance that the ONLY reason to play F2P anymore is because you still enjoy the game for it's aesthetics and the pleasure you derive on your own or with friends.

There is no realistic place for F2P players in PvP anymore. Even though the game design provides for factions large enough to allow groups of mixed F2P/P2P groups that could be competitive, the (mis) management of the game has exploited the greed of the player community and spurred such a spending frenzy that any hope for balance now lies in the hands of the player community alone.

The best attempt from the franchisees to redress the balance of the game is probably the DQ rewards. Although this appears to be an honest attempt to restore F2P players to a more competitive footing, it falls hopelessly short due to the natural inclination of players banding together for personal gain rather than long-term balance.

In other words, the players are almost as guilty of unbalancing the game as the franchisees. If players would realize the intangible reward of long, difficult battles where the outcome is in question rather than instantaneous routes of enemies by factions with lopsided gear/wallet advantages they might discover that this really IS the best game on the market... bar none.

Either way, I'll play PW as long as I derive some pleasure from it. I will play for free or choose to spend a few dollars based on my own assessment of whether it's 'worth it' or not.

And I will feel no guilt one way or the other.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    There are better things to feel guilty of than an online game >_>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Mooy - Heavens Tear
    Mooy - Heavens Tear Posts: 404 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    If you lose control of your self and start paying, they are going to drain all money from you. Don't feel guilt about it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    visit jd-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=393891 to read the translated chapters of Zhu Xian.
    Forum Translator of Jade Dynasty, pm me if you need to translate anything. Can be any PWE game.
    Mystic's skill list updated. Final version of lvl11 skills and lvl79, 100 skills.
  • YingXiaolong - Raging Tide
    YingXiaolong - Raging Tide Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Meh, only things I ever spent cash on in this game were a couple of aerogears because the low flying speed was driving me mad (helped me save something on teleportation >.>)

There's no point in feeling guilty. There are plenty of people who will gladly spend their monies here just to pwn everyone else. =3
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    theres no reason to feel guilty buy some gold from the AH and you contributed becus where does tht gold come from "cash shoppers" which makes them wnt to buy more to sell more
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • threepointone
    threepointone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Meh, only things I ever spent cash on in this game were a couple of aerogears because the low flying speed was driving me mad (helped me save something on teleportation >.>)

There's no point in feeling guilty. There are plenty of people who will gladly spend their monies here just to pwn everyone else. =3

Stupid font colour is stupid.
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    It's a free to play game. Don't feel bad playing the game as it's marketed.

In fact, you'd be more like China making surplus of RL cash and playing MMORPG for free, instead of American spending self into countless debt.
  • Serrinity - Sanctuary
    Serrinity - Sanctuary Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I almost feel some guilt that I'm playing their fine game for free. I know creating a game like this takes a lot of work and by all rights the game creators should be compensated for it.

Agreed. Despite all the QQers on the forum, this is something I mention to friends/guildies actually. Sometimes I have a sort of guilty feeling, but it's more appreciation. People complain about pwi not fixing bugs, etc etc and non cash shoppers complain about how they can't be as strong as someone playing for free. Really? All F2P mmos are like that.

That aside, rather than insulting cash shoppers, I thank them. lol It is because of their willingness to pay, be it for fun, wanting to be the best, etc the point is I can play this game that I absolutely love for free because of those people.
    anwynd wrote: »
    theres no reason to feel guilty buy some gold from the AH and you contributed becus where does tht gold come from "cash shoppers" which makes them wnt to buy more to sell more

Again, agreed. I'm just thankful that unlike some games cash shop stuff is buy able by non cash shoppers via gold in auction or other players. I'm sure pwi makes a lot of money off of this feature. People want to pay real money and sell 1 gold for up to 1mil? Better than having no cash shop access at all.

I see people complain about gold being so high (about 850k on sanc atm) but there is something people should remember. For only 850k coins you can buy $1 of irl money to spend in game. Seriously guys? You complain about gold being "high" at 850k. The thing is, this is A GAME. It is GAME money. $1 is worth much more. If you think about it rationally, $1 is worth more than 1 billion coins in game. It will always be worth more considering that it's REAL money. This is why games that have bot problems often have scammers selling in game currency for real money. The one that comes to mind first would be a game where getting 3mil coin takes about 30mins to grind. Less than 30mins lvl 60+. Bot farmers were very common. They would also make noob chars to advertise their sites before they got banned. Most sold about 10mil coin for $1. They made lots of money off these before they would get banned. As I said, $1 of REAL money will ALWAYS be worth more than ANY amount of coin you could make.
    Leader of EdensStar
  • MystiMonk - Sanctuary
    MystiMonk - Sanctuary Posts: 4,286 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    breeziez wrote: »
    Trust me they make more money from the cash shops than they would if this game had a monthly price tag....So I feel no guilt... and I'm sure they aren't when watching their money stack in the stock market.

Do you have any proof of this that p2p game earn less or more.I would say more.

To the OP I am sure you will find some time to play games just think of it as saving money spending a little to support this one.
    Looking for a decent casual understanding Faction.
  • Diverse - Harshlands
    Diverse - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    no guilt felt here, i am merely using the service that they provide for free, with the option of paying for things through the boutique :)
  • CandyCorn - Raging Tide
    CandyCorn - Raging Tide Posts: 1,547 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    play a little while longer and you'll be feeling regret
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Move along..move along
  • ZeaKuro - Raging Tide
    edited January 2011
    play a little while longer and you'll be feeling regret

Only regrets I have is in my wallet.

1. Sell body.
    2. Buy gold in PWI.
    3. Repeat.
    as-sas-sin
    /əˈsasin/
    n.
    1. One who murders by surprise attack, especially one who carries out a plot to kill a prominent person.
  • CandyCorn - Raging Tide
    CandyCorn - Raging Tide Posts: 1,547 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Only regrets I have is in my wallet.

1. Sell body.
    2. Buy gold in PWI.
    3. Repeat.

I better not be seeing you at my corner. I work those streets
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Move along..move along
  • ZeaKuro - Raging Tide
    edited January 2011
    I better not be seeing you at my corner. I work those streets

Don't take my corner from me. b:cry
    as-sas-sin
    /əˈsasin/
    n.
  • Abstractive - Archosaur
    Abstractive - Archosaur Posts: 1,232 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Feeling guilty ? One word: Rubberband. That is all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Bodyguard for Secret Passage at your service, now accepting daily installments of just 2.5m for your leisure.
  • Lingzi - Lost City
    Lingzi - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    i feel guilty selling my body inorder to CS n be competitive.
  • Lingzi - Lost City
    Lingzi - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    n i feel guilty for trafficking human for salavery.
  • ZeaKuro - Raging Tide
    edited January 2011
    Has anyone else other than me ever skipped a meal with the idea: If I don't eat I can use the money to buy PWI cards.

One lunch at work = $5
    Two days=1 $10 card
    So in one week of not eating lunch I can buy 3 PWI cards (the last $5 coming from taxes or other various expenses I save on by not eating.)

Logic.... b:surrender
    as-sas-sin
    /əˈsasin/
    n.