3.0aps+ equals frustrated barb.

Options
Bearleeable - Lost City
Bearleeable - Lost City Posts: 445 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Barbarian
I'm kinda a frustrated barb right now.
I"m pure tank. ( no i wont' restat so don't bother asking ), I"m sage, why sage? cause i have much more HP / dmg then demon. As tank I can't rely on "IF" i crit. I must be consistent.

I barely have enough dex for gear, infact changing rings breaks my gear LOL,
I have same thing for str. I literally calculate my point to the half point to totally maximize my hp.
I'm full hh80 gold thouigh I do have the 90G wrists now and pan gua's axes (grn ) +4.

I"m a good barb, I know this.. I"ve 17k+ hp w/o beast kings 11. and I'm lvl 92. a hell of a lot of 100+ barbs don't have my hp b:chuckle.

my problem is coming from high aps folks stealing agro constantly. I have to use a macro alot of the time, as I'm on my 2nd pc using either my EP or EA and they take constant attention. But even if I soley focus on my barb, it seems like I can't spam skills fast enough anymore to keep up with the agro.
Yesterday I did a WS run with a 3.0 fist bm and it was ridiculous. I was totally NOT needed. b:surrender

I'd like some advice on how to overcome this unbalance. I don't CS so I have to make do with what I can get. Plus, having more then 1 active char is a serious coin sink b:cry
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Bearleeable - Lost City on

Comments

• RioNHale - Archosaur
    RioNHale - Archosaur Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm kinda a frustrated barb right now.
    I"m pure tank. ( no i wont' restat so don't bother asking ), I"m sage, why sage? cause i have much more HP / dmg then demon. As tank I can't rely on "IF" i crit. I must be consistent.

I barely have enough dex for gear, infact changing rings breaks my gear LOL,
    I have same thing for str. I literally calculate my point to the half point to totally maximize my hp.
    I'm full hh80 gold thouigh I do have the 90G wrists now and pan gua's axes (grn ) +4.

I"m a good barb, I know this.. I"ve 17k+ hp w/o beast kings 11. and I'm lvl 92. a hell of a lot of 100+ barbs don't have my hp b:chuckle.

my problem is coming from high aps folks stealing agro constantly. I have to use a macro alot of the time, as I'm on my 2nd pc using either my EP or EA and they take constant attention. But even if I soley focus on my barb, it seems like I can't spam skills fast enough anymore to keep up with the agro.
    Yesterday I did a WS run with a 3.0 fist bm and it was ridiculous. I was totally NOT needed. b:surrender

I'd like some advice on how to overcome this unbalance. I don't CS so I have to make do with what I can get. Plus, having more then 1 active char is a serious coin sink b:cry

your first error is misunderstanding what being a tank in this game - (pve seems to be).
    from my own experience> Firstly it is about holding aggro, if the tank cant keep aggro, your not tanking, your just there dding a minor ammount as you mentioned with the Bm with 3.33aps.

secondly you barely have enough str or dex to have any reliable crit or damage output, again u will not keep aggro this way.

your a basic sage meatshield, lots of hp not much else, go pull cata.

here is my current build:

http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=c16c1d7dba7448da

I took a slightly different approach to sage barb, Potentially I could be 23-24k hp, however, this all hp no damage cept for arma build didnt appeal to me.

I built my sage barb how you would expect a demon axe barb to go.

I can hold aggro off 3.33-4aps most times depending on the weapon, 5aps is a massive struggle unless its like an archer with +1 deicides or something.

I am working slowly on a pair of G15 nirvana dual hammers with zerk reforging my tt100 poleaxe for a zerk weapon should increase my DD output a lot and maybe help me hold aggro a little better when I need to.

http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=eca4ed626867bd20

Also CRIT is much more important than u might think, spike damage can factor in a lot at being able to hold aggro so dont knock it down with "IF" you crit.

I have 20% crit as a sage barb and thats with 84 base dex. >_>

I suggest maybe a restat and experiment with some more uncanny builds.
    ★Immunity is an Arch Server TW Faction. If you want to join Apply @ immunity.shivtr.com★ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Inactive 19 Sept 2011-
  • Bearleeable - Lost City
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I absolutely agree being a tank is more then having high hp.
    if i can't hold agro i'm not being a tank ergo my post.
    On the str thing you might be right... perhaps now is the time to start adding str.
    Keep in mind 2 things.
    #1 ur 100+ with NV gear. HUGE diff. @ 100 I'll be a heck of a lot stronger then I am @ 92.
    #2 my built is not "wrong" per se. Yes its a cata build. I"ll also assume you've got lvl 11 beast kings. Again a big diff.

And MAYBE thats the biggest diff. The bm was lvl 101.

As for restatting no. #1 its really not needed, #2 I"m pve not pvp #3 my build is farily common.

Normally i have no problems holding agro.. its with OP class's / folks I run into problems. I do some amazing things with my barb that I get alot of respect with even from uber barbs, so I know I'm not that far off track
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    Rawrgh - Raging Tide Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You aren't going to be holding aggro from someone with 3.33 aps or higher, not with that build.

In fact, you won't be holding aggro from someone with 3.33 aps or higher even if you go balls out on the strength and add as much as you possibly can.

Honestly only way you'll be holding aggro from someone with high aps is if you go claw build yourself and have higher DPS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • Axelire - Heavens Tear
    Axelire - Heavens Tear Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Are you really seeking advice or just here to defend your build and stroke your ego?

When you're at 100+, you'll be in squad with 4.0/5.0/Rank 8/Rank 9/high refines, have fun trying to hold aggro.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    Options
    @Rawrgh afaik "tanks" have no biz being claw ( espeically when they restrict it to bm only like its designed to be ) so now what? We stop being tanks?

@ Axelire
    I"m honestly asking. I'm trying to understand how we as "tanks" still do our job w/o going to some crazy build
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gelnd
    gelnd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    @Rawrgh afaik "tanks" have no biz being claw ( espeically when they restrict it to bm only like its designed to be ) so now what? We stop being tanks?

"Tank" just means you can hold aggro and take a beating. If you fit those criteria, you can be a/the tank, regardless of your build, even regardless of your class.
    I"m honestly asking. I'm trying to understand how we as "tanks" still do our job w/o going to some crazy build

Your first post seemed forthright enough, but then you started making comments about "overpowered classes" and "crazy builds." Seems to me yet another QQ about APS. If you're honestly asking how to hold aggro from APS builds... you've been answered. Go APS build yourself. If you don't like that answer, either let the bm/sin/whatever tank, and be content to add buffs and a bit of dd... or stop running with high APS players. There are still traditionally-built players out there, find them and squad with them. Just the other day, I had the pleasure to see a ~100 sage axe bm in action. The game is about having fun, so... pick your flavor of fun. Go for the new fangled claw-barb and run with the fishies, or stick with old-fashioned build and traditional squad dynamics. Both are equally legit ways of enjoying yourself. ;)
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited January 2011
    Options

@ Axelire
    Who died and made you king of PWI?

Who are you to decide how classes should be built and played?

Who are you to decide who should be able to use claws

When you get to 100+ unless if you're playing with a bunch of people with **** gear including +2 weapons with flawless shards, you will never hold aggro as a barb without being claw build, ever.

Doesn't even have to be claw/fist built characters, you will never hold aggro from an archer with a +10 rank 8/nirvana wep

I can tank far better than you can so I fail to see how I have no "biz" being claw built.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "My understanding of women only goes as far as the pleasure. When it comes to the pain, I'm like any other bloke - I don't want to know."
  • RioNHale - Archosaur
    edited January 2011
    Options
    tbh I found claw barbs still dont hold aggro over sins and bms anyways so its kinda a waste saying claw barb is built to keep aggro.

its not, its just a build for more damage in a squad, turning your barb into more of a dd to possibly contribute more to PVE squads.

when I wanted to have aps aswell I rolled a 5aps bm for nirvana, due to 5aps+HF its much more valid than claw barb, (yes I can buff pre-nirvana with barb, I have every piece of interval gear and 4aps unsparked on bm on same account so I could have 5aps on barb with windshield)

however I want to use my barb for pk, cata (/me squishy), and a variety of stuff that dex based barbs would need +8 gears to compete with.

I laughed when a 4aps barb in my faction couldnt tank 3-2 emp with 12k hp in human and my bm was at 4aps at the time with just over 8k hp and tanked it easily.

Claw Barb is the benefits of being a barb but missing all the bm stuns for pvp. its good contri for events but its not really playing a barb with skills, its playing a hybrid bm-wannabe for better damage output than ordinary axe barbs on bosses.
    ★Immunity is an Arch Server TW Faction. If you want to join Apply @ immunity.shivtr.com★ [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Inactive 19 Sept 2011-
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    Empu - Sanctuary Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    <== before this sin, my main was a barb, sage which got to lvl100 then retired from frustration.

I can't give you any advice of overcoming the aggro problem, I never found it myself. My barb had TT99 weap +5, and all sage tigerform skills and no way to hold aggro.

In the 90s barb becomes more and more useless, and at 100 it even gets worse (this is my opinion and experience). You're basicly in squads to buff, and to grab aggro when things turn bad or when some unexpected mob attacks cleric or something. i.e. you're just a buff goon. There are only a few instances they really want a barb to tank : delta, metal and 3-3. Last 2 can be done by by good bms with good gear if squad is fast enough to kill. There is just no way to hold aggro from high aps dd's unless they gimp their damage (what they only do when they can't tank it).

I found only 2 solutions to actually be a tank :
    - Keep barb just for TW/delta/places where you do feel usefull.
    - Lvl a sin (or bm). This is what I did, and I'm finally tanking again.

Ofc, there is also the restat to fist option, but it won't make you tank, but will make you a dd besides the buff goon so you become usefull. I always rejected this, cause I will never play a toon with a weap that blocks all my skills. Overall, I don't see many active barbs 100+ that are axe/vit build and that also plan on staying it.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but the only way to become capable of tanking again would be to solve the "high aps being so op" problem. And we all know that won't happen :(
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Sin you probably cant keep aggro from.

But a BM? As long as you have level 11 phy attack buff and poison fang you should be able to hold aggro from a BM. Unless if their weapon is higher refined/better sharded, if your weapons are the same you'll probably end up playing aggro ping pong.

I have 11k hp in human form and I've tanked TT3-2 MANY MANY times, last double drops I just lived in TT.

HF is cool but more than likely you wont be using it if you're soloing, and let's face it, we all go claw build for the ability to solo instances.

The only thing I would need +8 gears to compete with is cata pulling. I can tank any PvE instance in the game, and yes, that includes TT3-3

So one claw barb failed, I can probably find more than a few vit barbs that have failed at tanking as well.

Yea, we miss out on BM stuns for PvP, if I wanted to PvP as a BM then I would play on my BM.

I laughed at "not playing a barb with skills" Beastial rage is great, 8 chi each time you're attacked? I'll take it. Demon beastial onslaught is pretty epic, never have to go looking for barb buffs, higher constant move speed, and if you want, an extra 30% hp.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sakubatou - Sanctuary
    Sakubatou - Sanctuary Posts: 4,001 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I'm currently a lvl 97 demon barb with a dex build, plan to restat to fist barb when I hit 99. Currently I can hold aggro from BMs that are 3.33 aps or less, and sins 2.86 aps or less.

When you talk about OP classes being the problem... this is endgame, they all are overpowered. Why? Because they have evolved with the game and as the gear/refines got better they were able to move more into pure DD. They have evolved into pure DD while barbs are still trying to stick with pure vit/def builds. We got the same armor upgrades as they did so we should be fine moving more into DD territory to keep up with them. Even moreso, because we benefit more from better refines. 25k+ hp is awesome, and gives you a huge comfort buffer but it's not needed for anything currently in game, except maybe a wb or two.

What has changed in the game is aggro skills are no longer enough to hold aggro. Barbs need to use damage for aggro. Sage barbs do 1/2 dmg + the bit they get from Titans. Which means going sage and adding to strength means your multiplier dmg is still reduced in half. To tank with damage you need to use human form, so there goes the hp bonus you get from sage. To get the sage hp/def bonus you could go back to tiger form, but then, as you pointed out, you won't have aggro. That makes you effectively a 17k hp, 13k (ish) pdef DDer that is doing less than 1/2 the damage of anyone else in the squad. Your only real use in the squad is to keep devour on and maybe interupt the boss occasionally for whoever is tanking.

The game is "broken" so barbs can no longer specialize in huge hp amounts. Instead we need to divide our focusses across damage and hp.

Vit/axe BMs are still arguing this same war against fist/axe BMs. To use axe and fists BMs have base vitality, but have maxed their dmg. They had learn to play their class with almost no vitality, and personally I think it made me a much better bm. The same goes to playing a barb. If you have 30k hp you don't learn the skills to survive tough situations because you don't need them, but 99% of the things a 30k hp barb can do a skilled 14k hp barb can do.

Edit: Wanted to add: 5.0 costs millions of coins. If they have spent that on gear they should be geared enough to tank. If its a sin, devouring for more bp back may be all the need. Just goes to prove that all that hp/def isn't needed when one of our squishiest LA classes with vitality reset back to 3 can take the place as tank.
    Seven 100+ characters leveled the hard way. Free to play. Mystic, Psychic, and Wizard left to level. b:victory
  • SteelStar - Heavens Tear
    SteelStar - Heavens Tear Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

If they do this then either we'll all start playing with non cash shoppers with **** gear and be bored and have no fun or delete our barbs and roll bms and be bored and have no fun, either way it would be a lose - lose situation. Too much of a income for PWE though so honestly I don't see this ever happening. b:bye

With how things are going in today's PWI here is a example of a end game tank that doesn't use claws.
    http://pwcalc.ru/pwi/?char=7d5204a32865e001 flame, qq, tell me I'm wrong all you want but this is fact.
    (if you play with other people with what is now considered "average" gear)
    It's a game and I'm proud to be a stupid fail demon barb!
    My EPIC Fail Demon Barb has 40k/48k HP and my stat points are as follows:
    VIT 552 STR 310 DEX 60! b:surrender
  • bobsnude
    bobsnude Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Everything has been told. Since the unique power build is 5 aps, you can go any class without it, you'll have the same problems. I'm not even talking about refine and awful stuff like "free to play" ultimate gear +12 nirvana or such. It's the game evolution. If you wanna have fun (at least) go 5 aps. Even a psychic 5 aps could do everything in solo. It's just the wrong side of this evolution. When you wanna go ultimate char you just go do a 5 aps. They won't change anything from this subject since it's the only way for our game organizers to earn enough money to pee on any world millionnaire boss. So yes any other build is fail now. No need use skills, it's even worse than you could dream of. Skills are no use, just use a consistant wallet. This is not a game this is virtual life.

What I offer you is pay to play like an average 1k dollar every month (if you're poor go away - yes it's the answer of all "pro gamer" cashshopers) or go away. I don"'t subscribe to this but it's a reality now. It was like that before and it will ever be until PW is done.
    No credit, just pay to have the feeling of being a good player, of being god.
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Who died and made you king of PWI?

Who are you to decide how classes should be built and played?

Who are you to decide who should be able to use claws

When you get to 100+ unless if you're playing with a bunch of people with **** gear including +2 weapons with flawless shards, you will never hold aggro as a barb without being claw build, ever.

Doesn't even have to be claw/fist built characters, you will never hold aggro from an archer with a +10 rank 8/nirvana wep

I can tank far better than you can so I fail to see how I have no "biz" being claw built.
    you missed the whole point by defending your build.
    First, PWI themselves stated "fist/claw = BM ONLY" same as slingshot for Archer. Only for w/e reason they've allowed the glitch from day one. idky, i really don't care. it is what it is.

as for the last part of your statement regarding the 100+ thats exactly why I wrote this question. I am approaching that and already starting to see that. And I"m doing my best to learn how to be a "meat shield" and still hold agro.
    I laughed when a 4aps barb in my faction couldnt tank 3-2 emp with 12k hp in human and my bm was at 4aps at the time with just over 8k hp and tanked it easily.

yeah this is my understanding.. from watching a friend that is a fist barb, and man he can hold agro, but like you say, in 3-x he dies more times then I can count when trying to pull/lure cause he doesn't have anywhere near the hp have and he's very well geared.
    <== before this sin, my main was a barb, sage which got to lvl100 then retired from frustration.

I can't give you any advice of overcoming the aggro problem, I never found it myself. My barb had TT99 weap +5, and all sage tigerform skills and no way to hold aggro.

In the 90s barb becomes more and more useless, and at 100 it even gets worse (this is my opinion and experience). You're basicly in squads to buff, and to grab aggro when things turn bad or when some unexpected mob attacks cleric or something. i.e. you're just a buff goon. There are only a few instances they really want a barb to tank : delta, metal and 3-3. Last 2 can be done by by good bms with good gear if squad is fast enough to kill. There is just no way to hold aggro from high aps dd's unless they gimp their damage (what they only do when they can't tank it).

I found only 2 solutions to actually be a tank :
    - Keep barb just for TW/delta/places where you do feel usefull.
    - Lvl a sin (or bm). This is what I did, and I'm finally tanking again.

Ofc, there is also the restat to fist option, but it won't make you tank, but will make you a dd besides the buff goon so you become usefull. I always rejected this, cause I will never play a toon with a weap that blocks all my skills. Overall, I don't see many active barbs 100+ that are axe/vit build and that also plan on staying it.

Sorry to be pessimistic, but the only way to become capable of tanking again would be to solve the "high aps being so op" problem. And we all know that won't happen :(

Thank empu, one of the best answers I've gotten. I"ve got a 10x EA and I am very careful which weapon/ammo i use when dd'n so I don't steal agro. Even then I sometimes do b:shocked
    I guess the only thing I can do @ this point, is get the few pieces of int gear I can as HA ( like my 99G wrists ) to HELP offset and continue to attempt to hold agro as best I can.
    Let the "squishys" die if they wanna do 'my" job.
    Relish in the times where my ability to "take a licking and keep on ticking" has value.

The game has changed enormously since I first started 2+yrs ago and maybe thats my "problem". I worked hard with my build to be the best that I can be within the limits of not CS'n my familys food away. When allowed to do my job I"m very good @ it and well respected. That will have to be enough.
    Thanks for the encouragement.

None of these replys were the magic pill I was hoping for b:sad but reality often isn't b:surrender
    one last question....
    will getting say 3 pieces of int gear ( i know cape, fist, and neck/belt combo gives int ) make much of a diff? Is it worth trying for that?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • GoodStart - Dreamweaver
    GoodStart - Dreamweaver Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

The game has changed enormously since I first started 2+yrs ago and maybe thats my "problem". I worked hard with my build to be the best that I can be within the limits of not CS'n my familys food away. When allowed to do my job I"m very good @ it and well respected. That will have to be enough.

End game tanks are not restricted to the Barbarian class. It seems that you are finally starting to accept this. PWE betrayed the Barbarian class. This is why it seems they are nearly extinct these days.

If only we could get a 1 minute cooldown on sparks...
  • Axelire - Heavens Tear
    Axelire - Heavens Tear Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    First, PWI themselves stated "fist/claw = BM ONLY" same as slingshot for Archer. Only for w/e reason they've allowed the glitch from day one. idky, i really don't care. it is what it is.

I didn't realise that fists/claws had a class prerequisite like slingshot does. Oh wait, it doesn't.

As long as you meet the level/DEX/STR requirement, you can pop on a pair of fists/claws, how is that a "glitch"?

yeah this is my understanding.. from watching a friend that is a fist barb, and man he can hold agro, but like you say, in 3-x he dies more times then I can count when trying to pull/lure cause he doesn't have anywhere near the hp have and he's very well geared.

There are also fail VIT builds, fail hybrid builds, whats your point?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Rawrgh - Raging Tide
    edited January 2011
    Options

Wait, what? Where has PWI EVER stated that fist and claws are BM only? Sounds to me like you pulled that out your ***.

as for the last part of your statement regarding the 100+ thats exactly why I wrote this question. I am approaching that and already starting to see that. And I"m doing my best to learn how to be a "meat shield" and still hold agro.

It, isn't, possible. Unless if you're running with a squad that uses +2 TT90 weps at level 100+ you will never hold aggro as a vit build barb, even if you go and squeeze as many points of str as you can into your build, you still wont hold aggro.

I can solo TT3-2 and tank TT3-3 with a semi-decent squad, and I die way less than you or any vit build barb that doesn't have epic cash shopped gears. Tons of healing from bloodpaint, 3 seconds of invincibility every 15 seconds and 20% hp recovery every 15 seconds is godly.

Thank empu, one of the best answers I've gotten. I"ve got a 10x EA and I am very careful which weapon/ammo i use when dd'n so I don't steal agro. Even then I sometimes do b:shocked
    I guess the only thing I can do @ this point, is get the few pieces of int gear I can as HA ( like my 99G wrists ) to HELP offset and continue to attempt to hold agro as best I can.
    Relish in the times where my ability to "take a licking and keep on ticking" has value.

None of these replys were the magic pill I was hoping for b:sad but reality often isn't b:surrender
    one last question....
    will getting say 3 pieces of int gear ( i know cape, fist, and neck/belt combo gives int ) make much of a diff? Is it worth trying for that?

Int gears wont do anything for you with axes, got to be using fist/claws.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Claws are legit for any class, even casters, but that's not the point, the main point is claws and fists don't have a restriction as stated before.

Barbs can kinda take back their role as tank at 100+ with 5.0 aps and hold aggro from even +12 Rank 9 users. b:victory

Bad time to mention I'm a claw Barb.....too....b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    Options

one last question....

Glad my post was of some help :) And yeah the game changed a lot. I tend to say that a lvl100+ barb is what a bm used to be : Backup tank, great buff, but mediocre damage. I miss aspects of the game before, but things evolve. It's so strange to be tanking more as a DD then as a tank class. But w/e

As for the -int, I don't think it will help you on aggro (assuming you still go for axes, not fist barb). The reason is simple, it's the same why bms all go for fist : -int has the biggest effect on weapons with the highest base aps. Axes are the lowest melee weapons, the effect of some -int will be minimal. You would reach like 1.46 aps (my barb has 1.25 aps with lionheart wrists and -int bonus (-0.15 total on a polehammer) so another -0.10 is rather easy to get). You see how much this differs from the same -int on fists, and that fists can have a -0.10 themselves what axes don't have (well dragon vibrancy has, but it's dual to start with). As an archer I'm sure you get the point. It's why fists end up outdamaging bows. The whole "problem" of op melee classes is based on how -int adds work imo, but that is another debate.

@Sakubatou : I'm not sure if you talk about axe/vit barbs or fist barbs, cause the damage argument really seems irrelevent to me for axe/vit. Tanking on damage is just not possible on a barb, sage or demon. Barbs have a low dps weap to start with. Demon barbs have better aggro with demon fleshream having shorter cd. Doing like 2k more damage per hit won't do anything when the DDs next to you do tenfold damage to start with...
  • RioNHale - Archosaur
    edited January 2011
    Options
    End game tanks are not restricted to the Barbarian class. It seems that you are finally starting to accept this. PWE betrayed the Barbarian class. This is why it seems they are nearly extinct these days.

If only we could get a 1 minute cooldown on sparks...

nah I love the speed pve runs, just make it so barbs with axes make like 24 chi per hit to spark more themselves >_> b:shocked

-Inactive 19 Sept 2011-
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    OP is obviously frustrated, because he has a set mentality about his character "I R TANK HEAR ME RAWR". However, he's the type of person that expects others to play to the fashion he likes. Nope.. *shakes head* .. it doesn't work that way.

Having a 16K HP demon barb at lvl 94 (lvl 11 demon BKI), I can tell you that having that high HP, not being completely decked out, means your role is limited. Hell, the role of a pure dex/bow archer, or a pure nuke sin, or a pure crit cleric, are limited. Sure, they are builds that can be done, but while you are maintaining your vision of a build, you are also being belligerently, overly idealistic about how squads should see the way you fit in it, opposed to changing your role to fit with a squad. The former is going to lead to an endless degree of frustration. The latter is going to lead to you getting into more squads. Whichever you prefer, may you go down that path. That's pretty much it.
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    Options
    OP is obviously frustrated, because he has a set mentality about his character "I R TANK HEAR ME RAWR". However, he's the type of person that expects others to play to the fashion he likes. Nope.. *shakes head* .. it doesn't work that way.

Having a 16K HP demon barb at lvl 94 (lvl 11 demon BKI), I can tell you that having that high HP, not being completely decked out, means your role is limited. Hell, the role of a pure dex/bow archer, or a pure nuke sin, or a pure crit cleric, are limited. Sure, they are builds that can be done, but while you are maintaining your vision of a build, you are also being belligerently, overly idealistic about how squads should see the way you fit in it, opposed to changing your role to fit with a squad. The former is going to lead to an endless degree of frustration. The latter is going to lead to you getting into more squads. Whichever you prefer, may you go down that path. That's pretty much it.

Even though you're totally right here, don't you agree that a barb (i.e. the tank class of the game, at least initially it was) should be tanking when there is one in squad? It's like being the only cleric in a squad and they want you to DD so the wizzie can heal.

I played barb to tank, since they can't tank endgame, all fun dissapears there b:surrender at least for me. Ofc most barb have the "I R TANK HEAR ME RAWR" attitude, it's why they play the class, it's like that from beginning till it's summum in the 80s with pole and fcc, then BOOM buff goon and secondary tank. Again, I agree with you but still think it's normal for a barb to want to tank. I rerolled a sin to tank, kinda sad no?
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Even though you're totally right here, don't you agree that a barb (i.e. the tank class of the game, at least initially it was) should be tanking when there is one in squad? It's like being the only cleric in a squad and they want you to DD so the wizzie can heal.

I played barb to tank, since they can't tank endgame, all fun dissapears there b:surrender at least for me. Ofc most barb have the "I R TANK HEAR ME RAWR" attitude, it's why they play the class, it's like that from beginning till it's summum in the 80s with pole and fcc, then BOOM buff goon and secondary tank. Again, I agree with you but still think it's normal for a barb to want to tank. I rerolled a sin to tank, kinda sad no?
    For analogy's sake.. how about being a cleric in a FF squad DDing while a herc'd veno tanks? Or being a cleric in any squad with a high -int sin or bm or barb self tanking with BP?

Just because you're temporarily removed from your usual tendencies doesn't mean you're no longer what you set out to be. While I expect to lose aggro a lot (I tend to take higher DD's with my barb on FF), I still tank with my barb during FF, and without a doubt most squads will be looking for my barb when it comes to surviving rebirth.

I agree that barbs were meant to be tanks by the skills they were given, and the typical MMORPG **** and slash mentality of the higher HP, higher defense person tanking. But.. people decide what they want in squads, no matter how much or little it makes sense or is fair. I'm thinking about making my barb clawed too (not in too bad a rush since I already have a 5 aps bm/archer and 4.0/5.0 aps sage sin) but wouldn't do so if he had less than 15K HP buffed and in tiger, which means more highly refining/sharding the gear he and my BM share.

It really doesn't matter which build you pick as long as you consider it's upsides, downsides, perks, and limitations. To reiterate, the OP is not very pragmatic about his approach to squads and what they prefer. It's unfortunate that handfuls of barbs rolled as something else, BM's or sins, but there are also people replacing them as barbs too, keep in mind. Just because, generally speaking of course, other people do something is no reason to completely cave in on what you find fun, and just because you have to compromise and not get entirely what you want (in this case, to be tanking everything) doesn't mean that you can't have fun with that either.

I remember well over a year ago doing FF's on my herc veno and the herc with bash would **** off the barb at low lvls when he kept losing aggro. However, most ended up just switching out to human form, then a few cried like babies over it. The latter likely rolled a sin instead of modernizing their barb to be just as useful.
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I remember well over a year ago doing FF's on my herc veno and the herc with bash would **** off the barb at low lvls when he kept losing aggro. However, most ended up just switching out to human form, then a few cried like babies over it. The latter likely rolled a sin instead of modernizing their barb to be just as useful.

That is an interesting theory. Mine is that the ones who rerolled like to tank, the ones who restatted liked to be a barb. Having every single class do their ultimate damage with the same weap isn't a modernisation to me, more a degeneration process. But w/e. I don't hate fist-barbs, I just don't want to play one myself.

Btw, I remember those days, and squads I was in the veno asked cleric and me (barb) wether to have herc tank or not. I was mainly a matter of ppls opinion wether herc bramble + cleric/tank dd would do more damage then barb tanking and veno DD do more damage. Some squads preffered to have the barb tank, cause aggro was more "stable".

My point is, there is a reason to pick a specific class. Barb was great till end 90s, it's just at 100+ where everything changes. And I think there is a strong link between that change and so many barbs quitting/rerolling.
  • Redmenace - Heavens Tear
    Redmenace - Heavens Tear Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I rolled Demon because I was having trouble holding aggro from the Archer I started running TT's and FB's with. I stayed Demon, and got a pair of GX's because the Wizzy i ran with kept stealing aggro from me. I started stacking crit and -int gear because the sins I was running with started to steal aggro from me.

At this lvl, if a claw BM wants aggro, or a Sin wants aggro - he's gonna get it eventually. But I give them one hell of a run for their money, and I make 'em fight for it.

I ping-pong aggro on bosses in RBO, and Warsong, and TT with 100 sins and claw archers and high DPS BMs.

Because I dont ever use macros while tanking, and fire the right skills at the right time and fight for aggro, to help keep my squad alive.

RedMenace

\don't want to go claw barb
    \\have a 'sin for DD, a barb's for tankin'
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert A. Heinlein
    edited January 2011
    Options
    @janus
    I"m sorry but your seriously mistaken in that I feel a squad must conform to me. I don't mind @ all if someone else tanks. ESPECIALLY something like Mantavip. Although I"m fairly sure I can handle him now I've seen many a barb fall to him. Its just not a boss we excel at, we're built entirely wrong for him.

When I go into an instance if it is not explicitly clear who's tanking I always ask. I need this info so I can adjust my play style to work WITH the tank not fight him/her. I was taught to think this way eons ago and most likely always will.
    My point is, there is a reason to pick a specific class. Barb was great till end 90s, it's just at 100+ where everything changes. And I think there is a strong link between that change and so many barbs quitting/rerolling.
    Exactly how I feel. I built my barb the way he is for TW / tanking for the guild and have enjoyed immensely the ability to laugh @ alot of mobs, pop a candy and keep on going ( not red elfs though b:cry ). My party stays safe and very few squad wipes ever happen. Infact when they do I take it kinda personally.
    NOT being able to do that after such of along time of being able to is frustrating to say the least and in my case embarrassing as it makes me feel like I somehow failed.
    At this lvl, if a claw BM wants aggro, or a Sin wants aggro - he's gonna get it eventually. But I give them one hell of a run for their money, and I make 'em fight for it.

I ping-pong aggro on bosses in RBO, and Warsong, and TT with 100 sins and claw archers and high DPS BMs.

Because I dont ever use macros while tanking, and fire the right skills at the right time and fight for aggro, to help keep my squad alive.

RedMenace

\don't want to go claw barb
    \\have a 'sin for DD, a barb's for tankin'
    We've played ping-pong a few times with my -int bm buddies.. It's a heck of a lot of fun, though they get the last laugh for often then not now b:chuckle

admittedly I am a sage barb. I can see your point about the macro. I've certainely noticed that when macro'd I have very little chance of "saving the day" if things go wrong, which is, kinda, why we put macro on in the first place... for predictability.
    More and more I hate playing 2 pc's @ the same time, I enjoy doing my "Job" be it on my EA, EP, w/e as best as I can and doing my utmost to ensure we all stay alive in the process
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Fist_Mama - Harshlands
    Fist_Mama - Harshlands Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

a tank is the person who has agro so if your barb dosnt have agro then get outa tiger unless ur demon and spam those skills while someone eisle who has the agro tank
    edited January 2011
    Options
    @janus
    I"m sorry but your seriously mistaken in that I feel a squad must conform to me. I don't mind @ all if someone else tanks. ESPECIALLY something like Mantavip. Although I"m fairly sure I can handle him now I've seen many a barb fall to him. Its just not a boss we excel at, we're built entirely wrong for him.

When I go into an instance if it is not explicitly clear who's tanking I always ask. I need this info so I can adjust my play style to work WITH the tank not fight him/her. I was taught to think this way eons ago and most likely always will.
    I don't ask. I ream, if I lose aggro a second or two after the first few times I ream, I just switch to human form. That's it. This is a no-win situation and it's not beneficial to the squad in many cases to keep trying. If the person who keeps aggro off me dies, they die. I switch back to tiger and ream again.

Though it was interesting you brought up mantavip, because manta tends to tear a new one into barbs and barbs tend to be lower DD's. In this case it's not that a barb can't tank this boss, it's that people end up preferring those who prefer better defenses to his magic attacks and debuffs, but who kill him faster.
    Exactly how I feel. I built my barb the way he is for TW / tanking for the guild and have enjoyed immensely the ability to laugh @ alot of mobs, pop a candy and keep on going ( not red elfs though b:cry ). My party stays safe and very few squad wipes ever happen. Infact when they do I take it kinda personally.
    NOT being able to do that after such of along time of being able to is frustrating to say the least and in my case embarrassing as it makes me feel like I somehow failed.

We've played ping-pong a few times with my -int bm buddies.. It's a heck of a lot of fun, though they get the last laugh for often then not now b:chuckle

admittedly I am a sage barb. I can see your point about the macro. I've certainely noticed that when macro'd I have very little chance of "saving the day" if things go wrong, which is, kinda, why we put macro on in the first place... for predictability.
    More and more I hate playing 2 pc's @ the same time, I enjoy doing my "Job" be it on my EA, EP, w/e as best as I can and doing my utmost to ensure we all stay alive in the process
    One thing that irritates me is when any barb plays aggro ping pong. I'll give you a handful of examples where this has gotten a squad-wipe from either stingy barbs who don't like anyone else tanking, or just playing around with a bm without concern for the squad's safety (yet claiming to care that a squad not wipe) -- Dracoboa, Peachblossom, Voidweaver, Spikewing, Rancid Venerator, Torturess Venerator, Snakefist, Polearm, Wyvern, Farren, specific RB bosses that stun/knock down BB a lot, and so on.

And I will second RedMenace that I don't use macros on a barb. Never have. Never will. Sadly I've never even used a spark macro for my demon 5 APS BM and archer. Altho if you're playing from several PC's I can understand that from a DD perspective to macro but still not the barb. I will say that this post strengthened my conclusion that you feel out of place when not tanking, with some of your examples being of the fantasy of fantasy games type, heroism and saving the day stuff, and that someone must report to you if they are gonna end up tanking.
  • Empu - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    Options
    a tank is the person who has agro so if your barb dosnt have agro then get outa tiger unless ur demon and spam those skills while someone eisle who has the agro tank

congrats, you found the topic of this thread b:victory
  • seantoddsy
    seantoddsy Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    UGGG pwi you and your lack of balance in game, no wonder its free! lets go guild wars 2!!!!b:bye