FPS issues

IrishPain - Heavens Tear
IrishPain - Heavens Tear Posts: 12 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Support Desk
To start off, I am a Network Engineer. My hardware is fine, my connection to the internet is fine.

I am experiencing some strange lag spikes in game. My connection to the server will read smooth, and I will be getting normal FPS. Suddenly, my FPS will drop to 5 - 8, and my connection will spike.

As I said, I've tested this extensively and it is NOT an issue on my side with connection. This is a problem specific to PWI. I don't know if this is because of the changes they are making, however it is making this game nearly unplayable.

I might try a re-install, however any other options are welcome.

Any other ideas?
Post edited by IrishPain - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• IrishPain - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2011
    Another note to add is that this seemed to begin after the last batch of updates I received.
  • WheresMyCar - Dreamweaver
    WheresMyCar - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to know what's up with that as well. I get lag spikes very often, which almost always leads to me being disconnected every few minutes. It gets EXTREMELY annoying, more so while vending....

EDIT: These "spikes" usually make the ping rise up to around 17-20k. :x
    edited January 2011
    Well, interestingly enough I ran a verification on my games files. It found some files that required updating. However the problems still ensued even after that. I am attempting a re-install now to see if that solves the issue.

I've never had any issues of this nature with PWI in the past. This just seemed to start happening, and nothing in my rig has changed. I tested all of my hardware and setup and everything is fine.

I will let you know what happens after the re-install.
    edited January 2011
    The re-install brought about no changes. However I believe I found the setting causing the conflict. The Terrain setting, which I've had set to maximum since I began playing, was causing my FPS problems. I run a NVIDIA 9800GT 1GB graphics card. Up to date drivers. Windows 7 Ultimate x64, 4GB RAM, AMD Phenom II 545 Dual Core processor.

As mentioned above, this issue is not because of my hardware, everything checks out. Maybe this is something that is occurring due to the last update. For now I will just nudge the terrain down, but this isn't really a fix.
  • WheresMyCar - Dreamweaver
    WheresMyCar - Dreamweaver Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Your response actually sparked a thought into my head. I usually have my texture setting at medium or the maximum. So instead of lowering the terrain settings, which I have at the minimum constantly anyway, I lowered the texture setting to the minimum. Sure enough, the ping went down a considerable amount. While it is helping quite a bit, I'd still like to see other people's take on this issue. So I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.
  • kenseim
    kenseim Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I use a 240 gt and I noticed that the latest drivers can cause lots of lag...
    Played around with drivers:

Originally, I was using the 258.96 driver and could play with around 19-20fps on almost everything on max (50ish with low). However, when I updated the driver and logged on, my fps dropped down to 6....

Hope this helps~