Darg_race - Sanctuary Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    isn't that the vampire fashion? o.o
  • Renza - Raging Tide
    Renza - Raging Tide Posts: 1,939 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The picture of the vampire fashion was simply the *Banner* for the event, I don't think PWE ever intended to make and release the fashions that people put up for the contest, the bulk fashion that CN is getting though, I'm sure we will get that when the expansion releases a few weeks later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Kantorek: we hope to see the economy in PWI come back "down to earth" if you will."
    *One week later*
    "Frankieraye: Lucky Corals and Platinum Charms are going to be in the Boutique indefinitely."
    *few months later, PWI puts rank8/9 into the CS insanely cheap, raising gold 1mill+*
  • Xoria - Sanctuary
    Xoria - Sanctuary Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The fashion probably won't even come to being made in game since the female outfit that won was a blatant Dizzy (Guilty Gear) rip.

Male Winner

Female Winner

Dizzy

Recolor Dizzy's outfit and it's plagiarism.
    [In a distorted place and time][The knife that stabbed me in the back grants me wings]
    [I keep looking to the sky][In order to flee from the memories]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [The world that expands inside of your arms is][///the last secret garden///]
    [If you've already forgotten me, don't forget...]
    [The things that we once embraced]
  • Azzazin - Dreamweaver
    Azzazin - Dreamweaver Posts: 502 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Err, they look quite different to me :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Setting of the twilight moon; a late evening rendezvous from atop the
    city's lonely heights. With the dawn the city below springs into bustling
    activity, and I don my morning apparel. From on high, I watch the world.
  • Olbaze - Sanctuary
    Olbaze - Sanctuary Posts: 4,242 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The fashion probably won't even come to being made in game since the female outfit that won was a blatant Dizzy (Guilty Gear) rip.

Male Winner

Female Winner

Dizzy

Maybe it's because I am not familiar with Guilty Gear, but judging from those pictures, there are a few similarities, but I wouldn't call it plagiarism.
    I am Olba. Not Ol, not Baze nor Blaze. And even less would I go by Olblaze. Please, take a second to read a person's username.
    If you see b:cute be sure to take a second, calm look at anything I said.
  • Xoria - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Maybe it's because I am not familiar with Guilty Gear, but judging from those pictures, there are a few similarities, but I wouldn't call it plagiarism.

It's close enough that the creators of GG could sue. It's the same as when those teachers catch people copying phrases and what not from their cites in term papers and essays. Just because there are a few differences, doesn't mean it's not plagiarism.

Plagiarism is defined in dictionaries as "the wrongful appropriation, close imitation, or purloining and publication, of another author's language, thoughts, ideas, or expressions, and the representation of them as one's own original work.
    [In a distorted place and time][The knife that stabbed me in the back grants me wings]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Svarius - Heavens Tear
    Svarius - Heavens Tear Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Of the five Female finalist entries, two were confirmed to be stolen and subsequently replaced. If PWE thought this one was lawsuit-fodder or otherwise stolen, they'd have replaced it as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Games come and go - cinema lasts a lifetime. (Except VHS - that only lasts 15 years)
    youtube.com/user/KRSMW
  • DeLetar - Sanctuary
    DeLetar - Sanctuary Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Perhaps a lack of appearance in game is evidence enough?
    I level the old- fashioned way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I like having the money for skills.
  • Svarius - Heavens Tear
    Svarius - Heavens Tear Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Perhaps a lack of appearance in game is evidence enough?

The contest wording was actually cleverly misleading. The prizes were free fashion to the 10 finalists, and two "grand prize" winners of Zen, but all entries were subject to the submission terms - ie, that they become property of PWE, etc, and give the company free reign to use any/all/none of the designs as they please.

Winning the contest and actually seeing the design in-game did not go hand-in-hand as the contest would suggest. Given the amount of art theft seen just in the percentage of those who posted in the thread, I'd imagine PWE (or, by extension, PW-CN) would be extremely wary of using any designs without being able to verify 100% that it is an original, non-copyrighted creation. To do less would open them up to who knows how many potential lawsuits - as little as I care for either company, I credit them with being that business-savvy, at the very least.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Games come and go - cinema lasts a lifetime. (Except VHS - that only lasts 15 years)
    youtube.com/user/KRSMW
  • Azzazin - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Maybe this is a dicussion for a different thread, but I have to wonder: how many changes do you have to make to something before it becomes 'original'? There are very few truly 'original' things that exist anymore. It is highly possible to unknowingly create something that looks HIGHLY similar to something that already exists. Within the fashion industry, many trends come and go... today's 'new' fashion maybe be a slight modification to something we saw 10 years ago or more. Does that mean its unoriginal? Is it 'plagiarism' to use something as a template, and make enough changes to create something new out of it? Sure it make look somewhat similar, but different enough that there's absolutely no confusing the two.

Now in the case of these fashions, maybe I'm blind, but I can't see why you are so certain that this person copied the 'Dizzy' fashion. I'm a guy; first place I see are the parts around the breast. Pretty big difference there! On the PWI submission, the **** are completely covered and the pattern there is different. Furthermore, the fabric around the hips doesn't flare out as much; and there is no scarf on the Dizzy picture, whereas in the PWI submission there is (major difference). The color schemes are also very different, as to where the patches of color are, again notably around the breast/shoulder areas.

Like I said, I just am not convinced that this is 'plagiarism'. I think it is different enough to be classified as something new.

Azzazin

PS: Made a new sig!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    There lots original armor / clothes design out there but most of them rather use it for their own creation character outfit, game design, or real world fashion.

i want something simple that didn't exist even on PW CN . . i want full armor fashion b:sad
    Maybe europan armor or eastern armor, at last as the base idea.
    Maybe a head fashion if want to completely hide your skin . . b:chuckle

Wait a minute . . b:shocked these might become PWE new idea to make fashion that alter your looks completely . . b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Hl/ - Harshlands8
    Hl/ - Harshlands8 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Frankie mentioned in another post that he was going to mention this to the Developers...I'm too lazy to go find it right now.

Of course, I'm not holding my breath. Frankie doing anything can only mean nothing will be done.....except some minor localization changes, of course. b:surrender
    My username is HI\/.
    Forums hate it though.
    <--New TW commentator of HL-->
  • Xoria - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Well, I am an artist, free- lance fashion designer and a competitive fighting gamer. It was actually not me who noticed the GG rip, but my husband.

A theft of an idea occurs when, say, an artist, uses an idea or pose from another and imitates it so closely, it is no longer considered their own.

IE: Say this picture of Usagi's pose is taken and the artist changes the hair and the clothes, but leaves everything the same, it is still considered plagiarism.

Example of plagiarism in art. Note that the pictures are not identical, but share enough characteristics to be considered art theft.

More plagiarism.

The distinction spelled out.

Just because you don't have an original, creative thought doesn't mean there isn't any to be had. If I can ever find that thread I found a couple years ago giving awesome example between referencing art, imitation and theft, I will post it ASAP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Anjiru - Sanctuary
    Anjiru - Sanctuary Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

This one looked pretty familiar too.b:surrender
    Sidney Losstarot from Vagrant Story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]b:laugh
    ---
    "Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics."
  • Azzazin - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Well, I am an artist, free- lance fashion designer and a competitive fighting gamer. It was actually not me who noticed the GG rip, but my husband.

A theft of an idea occurs when, say, an artist, uses an idea or pose from another and imitates it so closely, it is no longer considered their own.

IE: Say this picture of Usagi's pose is taken and the artist changes the hair and the clothes, but leaves everything the same, it is still considered plagiarism.

Example of plagiarism in art. Note that the pictures are not identical, but share enough characteristics to be considered art theft.

More plagiarism.

The distinction spelled out.

Just because you don't have an original, creative thought doesn't mean there isn't any to be had. If I can ever find that thread I found a couple years ago giving awesome example between referencing art, imitation and theft, I will post it ASAP.

Your examples as to how an idea can be plagiarized in art/music/etc are good ones, and helped me understand better where you were coming from. Nonetheless, I remain unconvinced that the PWI submission is a plagiarism of this 'Dizzy' thing.

Why? For as many places where you could say 'Aha! Look, this is the same in both fashions', I can show you 'But wait a second, this, this, and this are different about that particular spot (positioning/size/color/structure even). I think I have an idea as to what first caught your husband's attention: the MODEL, not the fashion. Yes, the model used to display both fashions look... very similar. Blue hair, yellow bow. This is convincing evidence that the PWI submission may have seen this particular Dizzy character and been inspired by it. But if you want to go over it with a fine-tooth comb, there are a lot of differences between the two fashions. Remember, the MODEL is irrelevant; only the fashion matters.

In a nutshell, the stuff Dizzy is wearing has the appearance of a skimpy, tight-fitting battle-maid (made up term, totally) outfit. In contrast, the PWI submission is more like a loose warrior/ranger outfit.

To conclude; your notes on plagiarism are good, but I remain unconvinced that plagiarism has occurred here.

Azzazin

Edit: I just remembered something else I wanted to say. In your example about the still-shot photos telling a story (and how this idea was taken by another company) I have to wonder if its considered 'plagiarism' to use a particular method to tell a story. Like... imagine somebody paints a story, literally. That is, a person has, say, 10 painting canvases, and the person goes from canvas 1, then to 2, 'painting' scenes that tell a certain story. Wow, how creative! Person 2 sees this, thinks 'what a cool way to tell a story!' Person 2 then sets up 20 canvases and proceeds to paint a different story, starting from canvas 1, then 2, each scene telling the story. Would you consider this plagiarism? The 'copied idea' if you will, here, is the method of presentation. In link you showed, the Japanese dude used the still shots that were carefully overlapped bit by bit to make it appear that an object (in this case, a pig and a guy) were moving around. In the video done by the Olympus, the same presentation style (photos overlapped to show apparent movement of person inside) was the same, but that is pretty much about it. The story was different, the pace was different, the music was different, and it was much longer. Can a method of presentation really be 'plagariazed' I wonder... have I plagiarized because I used PowerPoint to present before? Because others have presented using this method before!... no, I don't think so. A bit extreme, but you get the idea.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ratsael - Raging Tide
    Ratsael - Raging Tide Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

Male Winner

Female Winner

Dizzy

I don't see plagiarism due to they don't look similiar. Yes that is Dizzy's head but the outfit isn't the same. -.-; Different top as well as added belts to outfit.

As for the Model of the set, it's just a damn model. the set is going to be on you, her, and most likely my veno. :D Hell I would blame PWE for the Celestial Set looking Kingdom Heart. =.=; so def no

The Male set is tho. The set is from Prince of Persia III. =.=;
    Friends call me, "RaveR." My enemies call me, "..." b:bye

RaveR_mnant RT
    Asura_Shiva RT
  • SlashSin - Lost City
    SlashSin - Lost City Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    This one looked pretty familiar too.b:surrender
    Sidney Losstarot from Vagrant Story.

Thought that looked familiar. Here's a different pic that looks even more similar:

Plagarism?

Male Winner
    The only sin to go from 1 to 102 completely nude b:cool
  • frankieraye
    frankieraye Posts: 250 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
This discussion has been closed.