I am torn...

Options
Bridigan - Sanctuary
Bridigan - Sanctuary Posts: 186 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Venomancer
...between the Herc and the Nix. I am buying with in-game coin, and currently have 5 mil coin and 1600 SoF. I definitely want a Nix at some point, as I plan on PVPing come endgame. I also plan on switching to AA/HA hybrid later, as I enjoy both magical and melee combat (even as an arcane build, I can melee grind with ease now, and I am happily anticipating the benefits of HA).

What I'm not sure about is whether I should just go straight for the Nix, or get the Herc first instead. Even if I don't get the Herc until endgame, I'll still have to make myself a second set of armor, so I'm thinking it might be more convenient if I'm able to solo-farm at least the lower TTs.

In addition, I'm one of those who likes to help faction mates with their questing and bosses, so that's another mark in favor of the Herc.

Any thoughts on how to go about this?
Director and Webmistress of Faction Tramonto
Post edited by Bridigan - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Vitenka - Dreamweaver
    Vitenka - Dreamweaver Posts: 4,125 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Traditional answer is to get herc to farm and then that can pay for the nix.

Whether that suits you or not is up to you.
  • Bridigan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    Options
    That's what I've always heard, but I'm also told that TT is less profitable than it used to be, which is why I'm wondering.

In any case, I think I'll suspend judgement until the mystic arrives, just to see what kind of impact it will make, although I don't plan on giving up the veno as my main.
  • Liebe - Heavens Tear
    Liebe - Heavens Tear Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Herc first, then nix.
    After getting the Herc you can grind up for a nix.
    9x Veno - Liebe
    9x Cleric - /\ngellus
    8x Archer - Xaixu
    6x Barb - \/ladamir
    Heaven's Tear b:dirty
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Well if i was u i had got herc fist, cuz ur able help ppl + aoe grind, and tt runs 4 ur alts or more money. Farm herbs also usefull atm o.o made 10m in 1 week, but i farmed in hell, must be 89 4 that xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Troll : why dont u try to give her a way of money making not for 10 lvls higher than her ,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Troll : why dont u try to give her a way of money making not for 10 lvls higher than her ,

May she got higer lvl main...u read only the text-not ouside^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    May she got higer lvl main...u read only the text-not ouside^^

maybe so u cant be sure either , but from her current progress i dont think she has a main
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Nix is better for fast grinding, herc better for tanking. Given the current TT market, it may well be better to let the nix pay for the herc.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The nix looks pretty and is fun to grind with, but there's several issues with it.

1) You cannot take it into an instance. Most of the places you'll find yourself in need of a pet that can do that much damage or tank is going to be where a nix cannot be used.

2) Outside of there, it gets stuck in the ground or glitches and doesn't attack mobs way too often.

Unfortunately the nix was not coded properly to avoid collisions with the ground the way a herc does. They are the best DD pet in the game outside of the places it's restricted from.

I would grind near hills and the nix would constantly get stuck, the only way around it is flying up in the air while the nix did that, or constantly calling it back to me and changing the angle I had it go after the mob from. Even on flat ground, it sometimes got stuck next to a mob and basically was a beating post.

My suggestion is get an air pet then try and grind with it in various circumstances for a while. If it doesn't annoy the living **** out of you, get a nix, if that's what you want. Otherwise, go for the herc.
  • Bridigan - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I might be going with the Herc first after all. When I want to do fast grinding or DPS, I already have a sawfly and a scorpion. And yes, my sawfly has gotten his head stuck in the mud a time or two.b:chuckle
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    Options
    If u like grind, pk = get nix
    If u like help, solo bosses = get herc.

Yeah there is many good patk pets alredy if u lvl them and learn em good skills....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Euer_Bunny - Sanctuary
    Euer_Bunny - Sanctuary Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Herc. More bang for the buck. Just repeating other people's views:

1.You mentioned you want nix for end game pvp, you are not there yet.
    2. Someone already mentioned the problems the nix encounters and it happens very often and not just on hills. I have experienced problems on flat land. I hardly use it other than to train it or on sky mobs. When it gets stuck, your time advantage of it killing mobs faster disappears.
    3. It's easier to train a nix with the bugs on TB than it is for the herc to do it even with the mice in the cube of fate (getting the lucky roll, plus cost of dice tix and etc.). So if you get the herc at 70 you can train it for the next 20-30 levels, while the nix can just be trained with the bugs in a few hours at no additional cost.
    4.Always safer with herc.
    5. Instances
  • Kimmia - Sanctuary
    Kimmia - Sanctuary Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I would grind near hills and the nix would constantly get stuck, the only way around it is flying up in the air while the nix did that, or constantly calling it back to me and changing the angle I had it go after the mob from. Even on flat ground, it sometimes got stuck next to a mob and basically was a beating post.

To avoid having to by flying to avoid getting stuck and therefore have the dmg reduction you get when you kill land mobs from air I double jump towards the mob and then move back from the mob, it sounds odd but your nix will follow you up into the air and at the highest point send it to attack and it won't get stuck.

Looks odd as hell but it works...

On topic: Herc before Nix. Most definatly, you can do more with a Herc yes and it helps immensly with grinding for your nix... or go for both at the same time, it'll take longer yes but the result will be the same :)
  • Fist_Mama - Harshlands
    Fist_Mama - Harshlands Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i have a nix/herc on my veno and i must say the nix is alot better. herc is only for when guild needs me to tank boss and right now TT isnt really worth but nix makes grinding alot faster yes it may get stuck in hills but heres how to solve that problem get on ur fly mount and fly up a little and u attack from air yes u will deal half dmg but dosnt matter u only going to get 1 hit off before the nix kills mob anyway so if id had only the choice to pick which to get first again id pick nix this time.
  • sleepcat
    sleepcat Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    To avoid having to by flying to avoid getting stuck and therefore have the dmg reduction you get when you kill land mobs from air I double jump towards the mob and then move back from the mob, it sounds odd but your nix will follow you up into the air and at the highest point send it to attack and it won't get stuck.

High 5, we do the same thing. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Yup, this I did, as to change the angle one sends the nix at, one can jump or fly or simply move around.

On topic: Herc before Nix. Most definatly, you can do more with a Herc yes and it helps immensly with grinding for your nix... or go for both at the same time, it'll take longer yes but the result will be the same :)
    The problem is, it doesn't work all the time. I already tried the ground, jump, and fly methods, when grinding relentlessly in unicorn forest. They all had the same result. Many times the nix gets stuck in the ground or stops short of the mob it's targeted on without attacking it.
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i have a nix/herc on my veno and i must say the nix is alot better. herc is only for when guild needs me to tank boss and right now TT isnt really worth but nix makes grinding alot faster yes it may get stuck in hills but heres how to solve that problem get on ur fly mount and fly up a little and u attack from air yes u will deal half dmg but dosnt matter u only going to get 1 hit off before the nix kills mob anyway so if id had only the choice to pick which to get first again id pick nix this time.

<.< well not 100% true.. veno w 8k-9k mag atk and lvl 100 nux, need 3 hits w mag atk 2 keel lvl 96 mob..XD
    Unless u get crit lol. (atm the veno do more dg on mobs then pets)..
    veno do around 6-11k normal gearet . nix do 3k-3,5k at lvl 100 but on 96 mobs..idk about lvl 100.
    When pet get stuck just jump before send it on mob...o.o

Like if i was any of u guys, i had got herc, then got a scope/skatefish/sawfly w claw 4 griding^^ Get easier nirvana run and able 2 make money 2 ur endgame ****.
    Cuz u cant get any free tank pets, close 2 herc in def and hp.
    like a scope w claw will just have 799 patk less then nix...and learn scope stun-get faster atk rate..25% 4 few min :3
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• SinfulGuise - Sanctuary
    SinfulGuise - Sanctuary Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I chose my herc first, it can tank more mobs at a time than my other tank as well as make it easier (before aps were only wanted thing -.-) to get an FCC squad.

I wish I chose Nix first at times because I've been PKing on and off since my 40s. I have a crappy flying pet because I just need it for a mq (marriage quest) till my nix since I try to keep in a instance for PKing, only one way in with my Shadou Cub ready to pounce them....Doesn't work well with stealthed sins but it's an idea.
    FuriaeViolet ~ Amplified ~ 95 Demon Support DD Cleric
    MidnaPride ~ Syndicat3 Leader ~ 39 Future Sage Archer
    BabySinr ~ SaintSins Leader ~ 56 Future Sage Mystic
    FioreTheDoll ~ Factionless ~ 60 Future Sage Assassin
    KareTenshi ~ Factionless ~ 52 Future Sage Psychic
    FaytheVida ~ Factionless ~ 30 Future Sage Seeker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I chose my herc first, it can tank more mobs at a time than my other tank as well as make it easier (before aps were only wanted thing -.-) to get an FCC squad.

I wish I chose Nix first at times because I've been PKing on and off since my 40s. I have a crappy flying pet because I just need it for a mq (marriage quest) till my nix since I try to keep in a instance for PKing, only one way in with my Shadou Cub ready to pounce them....Doesn't work well with stealthed sins but it's an idea.

It work.. just have pet on defend mode.. AND not stun in the *first atk* ..or bleed..it wil not work,just go coldown w sins stuns..but after they stued,,click stun+ that skils u got on bear...cuz then it work o.o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]