Why do people cashshop?

Options
Granrey - Sanctuary
Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
This sounds like a very stupid question and please dont get me wrong, I have nothing against cash shopper since someone has to support the game, so we can all play.

I'm basing my question in two treads:

1) what is a heavy cashshopper?
http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=971572

2) how much do you spend on this game?
http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=972382

After reading both treads, I noticed some people really spend money on this game (over $200.00 per week), while others spend about $15.00 per month.

I dont want to talk about what kind of other games you can get or what kind of other entretainment you can afford with this.

I just want to talk about if you support the game for the following:

a) this game is cool. I love it and I support it.

b) I dont have time to grind or farm equipment and I like to change fashion often, plus I have to keep up with these guys that play 24/7.

c) I like to show off
Post edited by Granrey - Sanctuary on

Comments

• Wishana - Lost City
    Wishana - Lost City Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i cash shop because of fash mostly b:surrender
  • Lingzi - Lost City
    Lingzi - Lost City Posts: 877 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    b:bye i cash shop a lil, maybe $10 every 2 months, some ppl on my server has +12 on all rank 9 gears and all r either vit stones or def lvl stones. crazy cash shoppers b:cry they r the reason y thins gaame is unbalanced. b:cry
  • WhiteVodoo - Raging Tide
    WhiteVodoo - Raging Tide Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i'm cool with the crazy cash shoppers, cause they're givin money to the game, and it's not like there's not a way to beat cash shoppers, it's just a tad harder ta get to there lvl without cash shop items.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

light armor rules, and JOKERZz are the best. shaff, you meh dogg. Neko, you smexy redhead you, yer my favorite veno out there. Evo, yer straight up crazy. Lillie, thanks fer giving LA cerics a good name. hask, what can't you tank? Kyo, yer wizard biuld sucks, and yer obsession with aps annoys me, but eveni will admit, yer a frackin pro. Chick, our dad's would be great friends in rl, and we'd have so much fun messin with them. fer all the rest of the clan, *salutes* at yer service doggs.b:cool
  • Dragono - Lost City
    Dragono - Lost City Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    People have several opinions about cash shopping and why they do that.
    I also spent some money every few month so about 10$ (~7,60€) so its not that big deal.
    I mostly use it or fashion or charms.

And sure its really not that hard to get Lvl 100+ and its nit sooo hard to get high EQ (I dont mean taht Full Nirvana +12 5aps crazy **** O_O).
    My brother isnt cash shopping as well and have also a 10x Sin with several +5 Armor and Wep.
    But he play very much so... :/
    No more comment ^^
    I am from Germany and I am sorry if my English isn't very good b:surrender
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    The reason why people cashshop is because they have the money and they want to get to 100+ and own everyone with overpowered gear or just get a extra item they want or need a item for something.

Also the reason why people cashshop is because so this game can remain a F2P game instead of a P2P game.

So, cashshopers are not as bad as people think they are. b:chuckle

Also I don't cashshop at all and I plan to keep it that way. lol b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i spend about $20 every two months, or less often than that. so far it's all gone to "utility" stuff like bank extensions, aerogear, and my account stash. i spend it because those utilities let me focus a little more on the parts of the game i enjoy and a little less on the nuisances of full inventories and slow travel.

i suppose eventually i'll be all "utilitied out" and none of my chars will need any of that stuff any longer, so i'll stop spending money on it... though at the rate i'm going, i'll have hit the level cap, seen the whole game and gone on to other things by then. :-/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • Graviora - Dreamweaver
    Graviora - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I spend about $50 every two months. Mainly on packs and fashion and charms.

Honestly, I don't see why people QQ all the time over cash shoppers. They're keeping the game F2P. My own question is... why do people seem to try and make it their business where people spend their money? If someone has the money to cash shop and live comfortably with extra money, it shouldn't be anyone's business. Actually, even if you were poor and spending money on a game, it shouldn't matter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Myrrmidonna - Dreamweaver
    Myrrmidonna - Dreamweaver Posts: 204 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    From comming here till now I've probably spent more than an average/month, but almost all that I've bough with the gold were things you can think of as 'account upgrades' for making the game more pleasant and enjoyable - inventory and storage extentions, cool mounts, fast flyers, stylish fashion. Right now, when all my characters are supplied well and I have some coins saved for casual gameplay expences, it will be some time before I buy gold again. Most probably I won't be buying any CS consumeables. Maybe on high level (90+) for equipment upgrading, but not before that.

I don't see a problem with paying for the game at all. If I go to the store and buy any other game, I have to pay. It's great you can play PW even if you can't afford paying for it, but paying if you can, as much as you want, seems only fair to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    DREAMWEAVER:
    Myrrmidonna, 8x Trickster b:sin
    Eskarinne, 5x Summoner b:cute

It is not the destination that makes the journey worthwhile...
  • SilverCleric - Lost City
    SilverCleric - Lost City Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

Honestly, I don't see why people QQ all the time over cash shoppers. They're keeping the game F2P. My own question is... why do people seem to try and make it their business where people spend their money? If someone has the money to cash shop and live comfortably with extra money, it shouldn't be anyone's business. Actually, even if you were poor and spending money on a game, it shouldn't matter.

^ That's what I think.

Like people complain about cashshopers making the gold prices to high, Its not their fault the prices are the high is just taking the advantage of the item (like packs) that the GMs/Devs put in the boutique. If the packs where never in the boutique the prices would never went up to 1 mill+.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

✰The Nostradamus of PWI ✰

★ A not so Retired Veteran of PWI ★

✰ ~SilverCleric~ ✰
  • Ayainity - Heavens Tear
    Ayainity - Heavens Tear Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

I truly agree. I find it funny when people cry/ask how can someone else spend x amount of money on this game when its there's. If you wanna CS every BIG item on this game than do it just be happy after you do and not cry later(that annoys me).
  • Regenbogen - Lost City
    Regenbogen - Lost City Posts: 1,559 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    b:bye i cash shop a lil, maybe $10 every 2 months, some ppl on my server has +12 on all rank 9 gears and all r either vit stones or def lvl stones. crazy cash shoppers b:cry they r the reason y thins gaame is unbalanced. b:cry

they either cashshoped or sold their soul to the FieryDevil of hardcorefarming...b:laugh
    i am waiting for you my little flagcarriers b:kiss
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Why do people pay for movies?

Why do people pay for night outs at a fancy restaurant?

Why do people spend thousands of dollars for a 3 day vacation?

Why do people spend on console/PC games?

Why do people buy gifts for family/spouses/girl friends/boy friends/friends/etc?

Its probably the same reason why people cashshop here. Ive spent close to $450 on this over a 1.5 year period and its much less than the amount Ive shed for the other stuff mentioned above. In fact the amount ive spent on this game is rather insignificant compared to what ive spent on the rest.

tl;dr

In Short: Its entertainment.
  • Boogiepanda - Raging Tide
    Boogiepanda - Raging Tide Posts: 4,682 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Why can't some people see the obvious?
  • Calitae - Sanctuary
    Calitae - Sanctuary Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Personally I'm happy that people do cashshop. It keeps the game free to the rest of us. Some people have hectic jobs which pay well, and don't have time to farm. So they charge their gold and come to my shop for their mats for equips and give me money, which in turn I give to others as I buy from them.

They stimulate the economy and non CSers can always get in on the fortune by setting catshop and selling to the CSers. Just takes a lil effort initially.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    sig by the wonderful Forsakenx ;D
  • ImReallyWhyt - Heavens Tear
    ImReallyWhyt - Heavens Tear Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Why do people pay for movies?

Why do people pay for night outs at a fancy restaurant?

Why do people spend thousands of dollars for a 3 day vacation?

Why do people spend on console/PC games?

Why do people buy gifts for family/spouses/girl friends/boy friends/friends/etc?

Its probably the same reason why people cashshop here. Ive spent close to $450 on this over a 1.5 year period and its much less than the amount Ive shed for the other stuff mentioned above. In fact the amount ive spent on this game is rather insignificant compared to what ive spent on the rest.

tl;dr

In Short: Its entertainment.

All the above that you mentioned is because there is something to show for it...go tell your friends you spent 50-1000$ on a dumb *** game. Ty
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    My point was that people would spend on any form entertainment. It does not require another person's approval.

Do you spend just to show off to your friends OR do you spend for your own entertainment?

In other words, do you go to the movies so that you can tell your friends that you saw it OR do you go to the movies to watch the movie for your own pleasure?

Funny how people have double standards for different forms of entertainment.
  • Ayainity - Heavens Tear
    Ayainity - Heavens Tear Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    All the above that you mentioned is because there is something to show for it...go tell your friends you spent 50-1000$ on a dumb *** game. Ty

sigh.. People these days..
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Because it's my got damn business :).
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Translation: I'm like a teenager and need my friends approval before I spend my own money, especially on something I enjoy. b:cry
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

Lol wut . . b:bye
    Like my brother, sister, friends, cousin, uncle, aunt ?
    even a teacher on my high school before, the class must be prepared to hear his rambling
    when he lost in a war event xD . .

most teachers on my college usually only talk dota now though . .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    ^ That's what I think.

Like people complain about cashshopers making the gold prices to high, Its not their fault the prices are the high is just taking the advantage of the item (like packs) that the GMs/Devs put in the boutique. If the packs where never in the boutique the prices would never went up to 1 mill+.

Actually, I think you have glossed over an important issue here: boutique prices are high because of a relative lack of cash shoppers.

Cash shoppers drive gold prices down. (Which is great for non-cash shoppers)

Non-cash shopping merchants (and their customers) drive gold prices up. (Which is great for cash shoppers.)

Anyways, we are seeing something of a equilibrium between the activities of cash shoppers and of non-cash shoppers.
  • Quilue - Sanctuary
    Quilue - Sanctuary Posts: 5,787 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    DoTA is win. I think there is a class in Carnegie Mellon about DoTA and its associated mathcraft...lol
    Elena Costel: I wash my hands of this affair.
    Legerity: *drags you back* *stains your hands with said affair*
    Elena Costel: Noooo... I don't want to have a dirty affair with Lady Legerity...
    Qui: b:dirty
  • SerenityMare - Dreamweaver
    SerenityMare - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,211 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

Why do you even care about what they say?

Are you really not that self-conscious about yourself that you won't do something your friends don't think is 'cool' or 'dumb'?

Your friends can think of what you do however they want, it should never affect your actions, unless you came for their help or advice. Other than that, you should probably work on your self-confidence.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZeroDefects - Dreamweaver
    ZeroDefects - Dreamweaver Posts: 391 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    i don't CS as much as I used to, I did in the beginning to get aerogears, inventory expansion, safe expansion etc, and the occasional pack (not much luck the odd charm, mostly tokens - which i used to expand my cupboard to max, and make some oracles now and then to fill in level)

as you can see i am not high level (my highest toon [started march 2009] is 95 semi retired moderately well geared - reached without hypers or even gammas - did 2 in total lol ). I prefer to play my alts and level slowly and enjoy the game - no point spending cash to rush to an endgame that can be boring if you are not geared well enough to get in on the right squads for instances, when there is lots of game in between that has plenty to keep you occupied.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AbdulK - Lost City
    AbdulK - Lost City Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

my friends know iv spent over
  • Bunnybites - Harshlands
    Bunnybites - Harshlands Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

I guess because I am probably older than you, but my friends don't ask how much I spend and on what. My bills are paid, I am not asking them for help, so it isn't their business how much I spend on entertainment. I also don't believe it is my business to ask them how much their car cost, or how much their house payment is. When we were kids it may have been "wow how much did that pretty new shirt cost and where did you get it from" but now that we have grown up we don't need the approval of our friends.
  • Azura - Lost City
    Azura - Lost City Posts: 2,281 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Some people uses real life money because: DA INTERNETZ IZ SRIOZ BZNEZ! b:angry
  • Brionni - Harshlands
    Brionni - Harshlands Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Ppl catshop to scam or to sell overpriced. Paradox, items in AH cost less than in catshops... or its just **** in guise of the expensive stuff. I often look into them but never buy from catshops, AH all the wayb:pleased
    Ah, some sell 10 arrows and 2 soft furs 24/7 in west archb:laugh
  • ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    cause my time is too precious to be wasted on mindlessly farming in a game when i can farm more irl

loooooooooooooool
    hey, look at this tickets i got for harry potter 7 b:cool
  • MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear
    MoonUsagi - Heavens Tear Posts: 4,377 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    cause my time is too precious to be wasted on mindlessly farming in a game when i can farm more irl

loooooooooooooool
    hey, look at this tickets i got for harry potter 7 b:cool

Ohh coool now look at my complete trading card set . .
    After 10 year at last it complete now b:cool i have to look on Ebay for it

And look at my new jeans (the ripped ones strangely it expensive) so cool ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sorry i speak engrish b:chuckle
    Nickname doesn't have anything to do with sailor but related to a folklore
    Use search, it was your best friends to avoid many suffering in internet...