I'm sick of being under-estimated

Myujishan - Raging Tide
Myujishan - Raging Tide Posts: 47 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Psychic
Seriously, when I tell people that I'm willing to tank in BH39, the look at me like I have 6 heads and only 7 eyes split between them all. Then they go and say "Farren will kill you" OR "You'll die in one shot" No. I won't. Would I offer to tank if I knew I'd die? What kind of idiot would I be to say that I can without having tried it before. Seriously, I'm level 55 now, It's easy to tank all of them at my level. All you need is a cleric and certain abilities. With white voodoo, Empowered Vigor, Bubble of Life, an MP charm (size doesn't matter), Soul of Vengeance, and Soulburn. It may seem like a lot, but they're pretty basic for a psychic. If I psychic has a good build, meaning HAVE VITALITY (caps because I hear so many people spamming not to put Vit on a psy) we can take the place of anything. We can DD with Black voodoo, and if in very specific situations where you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT find a tank, and you have a psy with a good leveled white voodoo and good HP amount, then they can tank, but only as a last resort and only of things lower level than us. Then with our Empowered Vigor and bubble of Life AOE heal, we can put EV on the tank, then use BoL. This will heal the tank most, then it will also heal any DD's or clerics that may have taken damage.

And when a psy tanks, yes it is an uber slow kill, but that's why it's last resort only. Sometimes I have to tank BH39 because I'm the highest level one there and will pull aggro if I don't. Sure, this is a rare occurrence, but it happens. Here is how you know a psy can tank BH39 and under, including Krixxix:

Has over 70 Vit (Though I wouldn't advise getting there without gear, if you don't have gear to incrase both Vit and Mag, don't even try. My vit is 92 with gear but I think it's at about 56 without.)

Has White voodoo at at LEAST level 4 (Not a problem here, I hope)

Has Empowered Vigor

Has pots/items

Is at least level 50

Just hear me out here, In my opinion, a psychics scariest feature is his/her ability to adjust between offense and defense. This way, you can maintain a rather balanced build and still hit as hard as other DD classes, then switch to white voodoo and hold your own until the cleric and tank get done doing what they are doing. Are there so many fail psychics that someone 15 levels higher of a psychic is so strongly believed to only be a DD? Come on, we're better than that, people!
I am a proud member of the glorious tideborn master race.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by Myujishan - Raging Tide on

Comments

• ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver
    ThanosQRt - Dreamweaver Posts: 2,457 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    a psy in white voodoo cannot fulfill completely the role of the tank.
    his damage is nerfed severely and we have no aggro skills.
    therefore, the rest of DDs should hold back A LOT and so the tanking isnt efficient.

however finding the optimal squad is time consuming as well; trying to find a barb for 30min and kill the boss in 5 min isnt more efficient than letting the psy kill the boss in 20min

of course we are talking time-wise; a psy tanking in white will have more expenses

speaking of 39; trioc and calcid can be tanked in black so a psy is an effective tank.
    but farren isnt that easy, especially if a psy is pure mag.

vitality alone isnt a correct indicator of whether a psy is able to tank;
    you should use hp/pdef/mdef/def.lvl
  • tehiro
    tehiro Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    with skills like white voodoo the psychic has taken the role of the magic tank, if they hadn't then why else would they have skills that hurt the mob whenever they are struck? otherwise they would just be extremely fast casting wizards.
    no there is a reason that wizard soul spheres support increased vitality, and why they are so good at stealing agro all the time.
  • Myujishan - Raging Tide
    edited January 2011
    a psy in white voodoo cannot fulfill completely the role of the tank.
    his damage is nerfed severely and we have no aggro skills.
    therefore, the rest of DDs should hold back A LOT and so the tanking isnt efficient.

however finding the optimal squad is time consuming as well; trying to find a barb for 30min and kill the boss in 5 min isnt more efficient than letting the psy kill the boss in 20min

of course we are talking time-wise; a psy tanking in white will have more expenses

speaking of 39; trioc and calcid can be tanked in black so a psy is an effective tank.
    but farren isnt that easy, especially if a psy is pure mag.

vitality alone isnt a correct indicator of whether a psy is able to tank;
    you should use hp/pdef/mdef/def.lvl

Yes, I agree totally, thus me saying it's not the best, but it works. And, you have a good point on that last point, so I stand corrected there. But it really angers me when people tell me that it is physically impossible for me to tank 39. As of now, i don't know about 51's bosses, but I'm sure by 65 I might be able to do minor tanking, but I've only been inside once and was with a 100 barb. We'll see when I get there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • flamingahole
    flamingahole Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Yes, I agree totally, thus me saying it's not the best, but it works. And, you have a good point on that last point, so I stand corrected there. But it really angers me when people tell me that it is physically impossible for me to tank 39. As of now, i don't know about 51's bosses, but I'm sure by 65 I might be able to do minor tanking, but I've only been inside once and was with a 100 barb. We'll see when I get there.

The BH39 bosses are pushovers.

In BH51 I doubt you'll be able to tank Rankar and Wyvern's a definite no but Fushma should be easy; just get in close so he does half damage and nuke away.
    You have three chances to guess the reason for the post above.
  • Longknife - Harshlands
    Longknife - Harshlands Posts: 4,843 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I like it when people underestimate us. It's what supplies the servers with idiots who keep reflecting ailments off of Soul of Retaliation time and time again.
    I <3 AGOREY
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    Qingzi - Harshlands Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Don't worry, dude, alot of people will think you can't tank BH59 either.

Prove 'em ****ers wrong
  • LittIewg - Heavens Tear
    LittIewg - Heavens Tear Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    People are always gonna understimate us. Its hilarious,I dont know when they'll stop but as longknife said its supplys idiots who attack us with retal up,etc.
    edited January 2011
    Well yeah, it makes for good duels. They think they can win because I'm a psychic, so I ask them to duel. One of two things will happen. They kill themselves because I use Soulburn or I overpower them with nukes and when they start to attack, slap on white voodoo. Though I find it challenging to beat Barbarians (Thus whi I always will admit, they are the official tanking class)
    People are always gonna understimate us. Its hilarious,I dont know when they'll stop but as longknife said its supplys idiots who attack us with retal up,etc.
    The BH39 bosses are pushovers.

In BH51 I doubt you'll be able to tank Rankar and Wyvern's a definite no but Fushma should be easy; just get in close so he does half damage and nuke away.
    Well, like I said, maybe minor tanking. Key word was maybe. I admitted I didn't know, so I'm not trying to be arrogant, I'm just sick of being told what my character can and can't do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vexeddemon
    vexeddemon Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I've had this thrown in my face before also. Then I do it. I can tank every bh including but up to 79. Stygen gives me some difficulty but other than that. With a few tw pots I'm fine. Lvl 96 demon crit Psyc. I have no problems with white voodoo on still hitting at 30-40k crits.

Screwdge them b:angry
  • assassinsin101
    assassinsin101 Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I like it when people underestimate us. It's what supplies the servers with idiots who keep reflecting ailments off of Soul of Retaliation time and time again.

I love when that happens..... Especially when there's an idiot 5aps who comes over to hit you whilst soulburned....
    Assassins....twice the ****, but only sinners once. b:victory
  • Keirya - Raging Tide
    Keirya - Raging Tide Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Lol i totally see what you guys mean. Im 92 and am STILL told im not an "effective" tank in 59. Makes me laugh seeing as how i've been tanking the thing since i was in the 70s. You just have to learn to live with it. Between being a "fail" tank and an "op fish"(i get this one a lot-no fc's for me). But like was said, it means there are more idiots in the world w/ 5 aps that will smack you with your reflects on <3
  • MageFizban - Lost City
    MageFizban - Lost City Posts: 1,158 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I love when that happens..... Especially when there's an idiot 5aps who comes over to hit you whilst soulburned....

Gotta love the sins with +12 nv dags spark next to you and kill themselves from soulburn while you're psy willed.
  • Ermosa - Heavens Tear
    Ermosa - Heavens Tear Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    lol problem with farren is when ranged person gets agro he aoes nonstop which is hard to handle for others. my lowbie cleric dies 90% of the time when ranged player steals agro from tank cuz party heal can't catch up with those nonstop aoes :s
    but calcid and trioc..any1 can tank them
    edited January 2011
    Lol i totally see what you guys mean. Im 92 and am STILL told im not an "effective" tank in 59. Makes me laugh seeing as how i've been tanking the thing since i was in the 70s. You just have to learn to live with it. Between being a "fail" tank and an "op fish"(i get this one a lot-no fc's for me). But like was said, it means there are more idiots in the world w/ 5 aps that will smack you with your reflects on <3

I joined a fb39 yesterday. the lvl80 cleric wanted a barb/bmb:beatup
    the reason? "I will die from the explosions"
    i'm like uuum ok, just stand back then i can solo it XD

obviously she wasnt this cleric http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oxrSghHfF4
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    lol problem with farren is when ranged person gets agro he aoes nonstop which is hard to handle for others. my lowbie cleric dies 90% of the time when ranged player steals agro from tank cuz party heal can't catch up with those nonstop aoes :s
    but calcid and trioc..any1 can tank them

Never thought of taking a few steps back?
    "I will die from the explosions"

Explosions are glitched, I don't understand how anyone can die from them.

My Psy had 9xx hp at 39, the explosions hit me for ~1600 damage, I didn't die once in the whole cave.
    edited January 2011
    I joined a fb39 yesterday. the lvl80 cleric wanted a barb/bmb:beatup
    the reason? "I will die from the explosions"
    i'm like uuum ok, just stand back then i can solo it XD

obviously she wasnt this cleric http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oxrSghHfF4

I think I just laughed every organ in my body out...fail cleric.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2011
    Now today I was with the most arrogant Assassin I've ever seen. He was going on and on about how there wasn't any way I could tank. So what do I do? I tell the squad: "Ok then, I'll solo to clacid. Cleric, don't heal me" They laugh, of course. I mention how I'll need help killing the boss, no way I could do it without a cleric. So, I decide, Ok, time to start killing, and I solo my way to clacid without any heals or buffs like I promised I would. Then we get to clacid in BH39. I say that now I'll need help. What's the sin say? "If your so great a tank, then why don't you solo it?" I facepalmed hard. Eventually, after arguing about whether or not I said earlier I could never solo the bosses, he ragequit and ended up not getting the kills. Me, the cleric, and the BM then took the rest of the cave. The BM tanked Farren though, for sake of AOE.

Seriously people, we Psy's are good for this kind of thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skykh18
    skykh18 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    So i wanna help so lvl 5x on bh39 im 74 btw, and i say i can solo it ( do i before 15 min ago with a barb buff ). So they kicked me out because they need a CLERIC?
    edited January 2011
    skykh18 wrote: »
    So i wanna help so lvl 5x on bh39 im 74 btw, and i say i can solo it ( do i before 15 min ago with a barb buff ). So they kicked me out because they need a CLERIC?

tbh i if there was a person cabable of tanking i would pick a cleric too.
    but i wouldnt kick u, i wouldnt invite u.

a cleric makes the run smoother, rest of squad doesnt have to tremble hiding in ur shadow.
    farren aoes and **** happens.

btw that's what happens when u are underestimated :
    soulburn doesnt work with aps smart 1... only if we do a skill XD
  • Qingzi - Harshlands
    edited January 2011
    Originally Posted by BladesDomain - Lost City

Thanks for the laugh, Thanos.
  • DemansPsy - Lost City
    DemansPsy - Lost City Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited January 2011

btw that's what happens when u are underestimated :

WOW i facepalmed so hard readin the BladesDomain's post, well he on same server as me, maybe i should try findin him and showin him soulburn firsthand b:laugh
    full 3r9 +11/12 (still using immac shards though) w/o CSing, leveled to 105 spaming pv, yes i have no life =D
    edited January 2011
    WOW i facepalmed so hard readin the BladesDomain's post, well he on same server as me, maybe i should try findin him and showin him soulburn firsthand b:laugh

b:chuckle
  • Kings_tides - Raging Tide
    Kings_tides - Raging Tide Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Three words.
    FAIL FAIL FAIL. ONLY time i dont have aggro is in TT, and when im squading w/ barb or 5aps bms 10-20 lvls higher. tanking? i tried doing bh59 again (psys love it, all bosses are magic) and the barb was sure i couldnt hold aggro. he didnt have it the whole run
  • Vindrael - Lost City
    Vindrael - Lost City Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Psychics are awesome in their own way. Me, at level 88, and my wife as an 83 BM, ran Frost. It took us a hair over two hours, but we did it.

I did all of the big magic mob pulls, she did all of the physical mob pulls. I turned on White Voodoo and Soul of Vengeance, ate a Crab Meat and took off running. We've both run through Frost hundreds of times with our other characters, but I have to say this was the most enjoyable run for me.

I only have a few kills in PvP so far, but they've been against two 9x assassins and a 100 barb (I was defending myself, but damn it was funny to see their surprise when they die). Psychic Will is OP against physical attacks... I've of course died countless times to better-geared and better-skilled people from all classes, but I've found it's much easier to survive on this character than on my 100 wizard.

Psychic is definitely my favorite casting class. I like that people underestimate us - I've had a lot of people go from b:chuckle to b:shocked in a single FB run. :)
  • Gsychell - Dreamweaver
    Gsychell - Dreamweaver Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I'm only at Level64 right now, and I may be squishy, but at the same time I'm doing more damage on bosses than other squad members that are anywhere between 5-10 levels higher than me. I want more people to realize how much *** we kick, but having the advantage, the Underdog Advantage, is a lot of fun when on BH runs.