Battle Pet Pack Sale

Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary Posts: 448 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Venomancer
So with the sale on, the question still remains: Do I buy Source of Force (SoF)/Feathers from a Catshop or the Auction, or should I just buy gold and get the Battle Pet Packs direct from the Boutique. Keep in mind that you can exchange 100 Feathers for SoF and vice-versa so the fact that Pet Packs could give either type doens't matter much.

The specifics always depend on the current exchange rate on your server, but I've made a table that is hopefully useful to those pondering the aquisition of a Herc/Nix. For example, on Sanctuary today, the average of the highest bid and the lowest ask is 838k (at the time that I looked). I use the average and ignore the Auction fees, but if you bid below the highest current bid, and well below the lowest asking price, then the fees are in the noise of the bid-ask spread. Going down the first column and finding 840k you see that it's green for SoF/Feathers being sold in Catshop or Auction if < 7k and red for 8k and higher. This means unless you find SoF/Feather for 7k or less, you're better off buying gold and opening Battle Pet Packs yourself (currently only 25 silver vs 50 silver normally).

Hope this helps! b:pleased

Sale Pricing Table

If you want to play with the spreadsheet it's here.
Post edited by Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary on

Comments

• threepointone
    threepointone Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Thanks, very useful.
  • SashaGray - Heavens Tear
    SashaGray - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,765 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    hmm a battle pet sale 3 weeks before the release of veno 2.0
    its probably their last chance to make any money off a battle pet sale.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited January 2011

They've been making money off pet pack sales? I've known a lot of people lately who rolled a veno, and decided not to get a nix/herc, sale or no sale. $200 for both is still outrageous.

With Nix/Herc going for upwards of 200 million at times on Sanc, I have seen very very few people trying to level a recently purchased nix or herc. With my veno at 81, I'm weary of having to spend so much time leveling a Nix 81 levels. Not even thinking about getting a herc.

So... I don't think they're gonna make very much off this sale. To be honest, I may buy a Nix for my alt veno, but I'm not really sure if I'm going to or not.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Solandri's chart is still useful, just cut the prices in the first column in half.

Oh, and I'm doing good business on Raging Tide selling SoF/PF and using the proceeds to buy gold and more pet packs, so the market isn't dead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    With the story of one of the new classes soloing Krixix before a veno could, I can see battle pet packs going on 90% off sale. They showed us that it's not above them to pull such a stunt. (I don't think now is a good time for investing in venos -but who knows).
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Shneibel - Harshlands
    Shneibel - Harshlands Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    the proof the class can solo krixx at low lvl while veno could doesnt prove it is actually better than the veno pet, afaik the summoner cant custome skill neither have 120% dmg bonus, and i do remember the reason i couldnt solo krixx at lvl 39 is because i die before the pet die, not because the pet cant tank it
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited January 2011

I very much believe this is the reason for this sale b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Silest - Sanctuary
    Silest - Sanctuary Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    How many venos will still buy them for 10k? >>
  • Mayfly - Dreamweaver
    Mayfly - Dreamweaver Posts: 6,094 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    There's enough that will buy at 9k for me to stay in business. (With ~870k-~900k gold on RT, my cost averages ~8.5k.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Weekly Japanese/English bilingual webcomic
    thejapanesepage.com/ebooks/yuki_no_monogatari_manga
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    If you want to play with the spreadsheet it's here.
    The distribution is a bit off. The spreadsheet lists 26 as the average, but according to pwdatabase the average is 26.8.

I just opened 2000 Packs and averaged 26.3, but in the past I've averaged more too, so I'd be willing to bet my Merchant Membership Card that pwdatabase is accurate.
    How many venos will still buy them for 10k? >>
    It's all relative to Gold price. Right now 10k is a bit of a rip-off and few will buy them, since competition currently has them selling below 9k, but if Gold goes up they'll sell like crazy at 10k.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • Umon - Sanctuary
    Umon - Sanctuary Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I think they need to up the power on the herc's that would be only fair.
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    Laranda - Heavens Tear Posts: 283 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    tweakz wrote: »
    With the story of one of the new classes soloing Krixix before a veno could, I can see battle pet packs going on 90% off sale. They showed us that it's not above them to pull such a stunt. (I don't think now is a good time for investing in venos -but who knows).

A mystic did solo Krixx, but really, the main reason she could was because she could heal herself. Her pet was only around as a damage dealer and it got killed constantly.

From what I've been able to gather, the Mystic's tank summon is actually weaker defensively compared to a herc. The only advantage the summon had was alot better hp. Alot of the free pets out there could have better pdef/mdef too. The only thing working in the summon's favor is a mystic's pet heal works off the pet's hp.
    edited January 2011
    I think they need to up the power on the herc's that would be only fair.

And increase the price? no thank you.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    The distribution is a bit off. The spreadsheet lists 26 as the average, but according to pwdatabase the average is 26.8.

I just opened 2000 Packs and averaged 26.3, but in the past I've averaged more too, so I'd be willing to bet my Merchant Membership Card that pwdatabase is accurate.

It's all relative to Gold price. Right now 10k is a bit of a rip-off and few will buy them, since competition currently has them selling below 9k, but if Gold goes up they'll sell like crazy at 10k.
    That 26.00 is my observed distribution on opening packs and getting 10,540 Feathers+SoF... I probably should put the Database bars next the observed bars in the graph on the first tab just for comparison's sake but I'm aware the weighted average is 26.8 for an incredibly large sample size.

Edit: If you redownload the spreadsheet you'll see the observed vs PWDB bars on the chart in the 1st tab Warren. 2nd Edit to correct the 10,540 to refer to Feathers+SoF and not packs, credit to Solandri.
  • tweakz
    edited January 2011
    A mystic did solo Krixx, but really, the main reason she could was because she could heal herself. Her pet was only around as a damage dealer and it got killed constantly.

From what I've been able to gather, the Mystic's tank summon is actually weaker defensively compared to a herc. The only advantage the summon had was alot better hp. Alot of the free pets out there could have better pdef/mdef too. The only thing working in the summon's favor is a mystic's pet heal works off the pet's hp.

That config seems like it'd be a lot more flexible than a Herc. A Herc's tanking ability is limited by it's level, while the Mystic's isn't. Dealing dmg while healing self with all that range tanking sweetness this game has to offer.
  • anwynd
    anwynd Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    by the way summons stats get boosted by refining your gear and get a direct boost from having your gear on
    Collector of pet eggs, armor, weapons, fashion, and mountsb:chuckle
  • Shneibel - Harshlands
    Shneibel - Harshlands Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2011

as long the summon is gear depend, it ll get better than the herc if its owm have good gear and high refine
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    That 26.00 is my observed distribution on opening 10,540 packs... I probably should put the Database bars next the observed bars in the graph on the first tab just for comparison's sake but I'm aware the weighted average is 26.8 for an incredibly large sample size.
    10540 packs? Or 10540 feathers/source of force? Because 10540 packs is enough for almost 30 legendary pets.

My experience with 3 legendary pets has been 26.95, 26.77, and 26.69 (371, 374, and 379 packs).

The distribution on PWDB is non-Gaussian, so it's not really correct to figure out the uncertainty the regular way. But it's late and I'm too lazy to do it the correct way right now. If you assume a flat distribution (20% each amount, 30 average), for 374 packs you'd expect 95% of the time to wind up between 10,690 to 11,760 sof/feathers. That translates into an average of 30 +/- 1.43 per pack. That is, if you open 374 of these 30 average packs, 95% of the time you should get an average between 28.6 and 31.4.

So assuming you meant 10540 feathers/source of force, your 26 average is only 0.8 off from the expected 26.8, and is most likely within the 95% uncertainty margin. My 3 samples are clustered unusually tightly. In other words, your 26 average is most likely not a statistically significant deviation from the 26.8 average listed on PWDB. PWDB is probably right.

Peritia was collecting a wider sample of data from opening packs. Maybe s/he will show up and post some results.
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2011
    as long the summon is gear depend, it ll get better than the herc if its owm have good gear and high refine

There's some screenshots of a Mystic with 4 pieces of Nirvana gear, a Warsoul Glaive, and getting a ton of stats from the gear. Her summon is still squishy by Veno standards. Pdef/mdef 7438/6403, if I'm reading it right. By comparison, same level herc would be 9952/7961 before Strong/Protect. HP, of course, is the exception at 8274 for the summon.

Whatever type of gear would give that summon better defenses than a herc (baring hp) would have to be very special, imo.
  • Thelas_Carr - Sanctuary
    edited January 2011
    10540 packs? Or 10540 feathers/source of force? Because 10540 packs is enough for almost 30 legendary pets.

So assuming you meant 10540 feathers/source of force, your 26 average is only 0.8 off from the expected 26.8, and is most likely within the 95% uncertainty margin. My 3 samples are clustered unusually tightly. In other words, your 26 average is most likely not a statistically significant deviation from the 26.8 average listed on PWDB. PWDB is probably right.
    LOL, yep, yep! I meant Feathers + SoF, not packs! >.< If you check the spreadsheet it would be evident in Column D of the 1st tab. b:victory
  • WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary
    WarrenWolfy - Sanctuary Posts: 1,686 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Just opened another 1,250 packs. Total was 34,250 SoF/Feathers, for an average of 27.4.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PWI Merchanting Guides: warrenwolfy.wordpress.com
  • tweakz
    edited January 2011
    There's some screenshots of a Mystic with 4 pieces of Nirvana gear, a Warsoul Glaive, and getting a ton of stats from the gear. Her summon is still squishy by Veno standards. Pdef/mdef 7438/6403, if I'm reading it right. By comparison, same level herc would be 9952/7961 before Strong/Protect. HP, of course, is the exception at 8274 for the summon.

Whatever type of gear would give that summon better defenses than a herc (baring hp) would have to be very special, imo.

The HP is a huge exception. My Herc is Lv. 102 and only has 4672 HP. Atm my pdef is 3294 which equates to 44% dmg reduction on same level mobs while my mdef is around 9000 which equates to only 68%. (Almost 3x as much defense, and not even near double the dmg reduction). Also, a lot of the benefit of Nirvana gear is a bonus of % defense. I don't think this % would translate over to pets, or even pdef bonus from fox form but not sure (benefit of nirvana might not be so great for pets). There are also many 5k hits in this game regardless of defense. Herc if caught is going down.. these pets not so. If I was a non Herc/Nix Veno; I'd be looking to switch to Mystic.
  • Aniella - Harshlands
    Aniella - Harshlands Posts: 729 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    The HP is a huge exception. My Herc is Lv. 102 and only has 4672 HP. Atm my pdef is 3294 which equates to 44% dmg reduction on same level mobs while my mdef is around 9000 which equates to only 68%. (Almost 3x as much defense, and not even near double the dmg reduction). Also, a lot of the benefit of Nirvana gear is a bonus of % defense. I don't think this % would translate over to pets, or even pdef bonus from fox form but not sure (benefit of nirvana might not be so great for pets). There are also many 5k hits in this game regardless of defense. Herc if caught is going down.. these pets not so. If I was a non Herc/Nix Veno; I'd be looking to switch to Mystic.

Let ppl play what they like! if u don't like it .. then its ur prob ! not any1 else
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

QQ If i did Crazy stone at 3x AND not 6x, i had been lvl 105 now!
    Didnt know about Bh/CrazyStone before lvl 6x LOL
  • Laranda - Heavens Tear
    edited January 2011

Eh, it's only that one summon, probably. There is a page 2 in that link that shows a different summon. It's hp is in the 3k range and significantly worst defenses. For the first one, I do agree that the hp is a pretty big boon though. It's the tank summon so yeah.

I'm guessing it takes the grade and refine and uses it to calculate stats. Just speculation though.
  • ThunderSoul - Lost City
    ThunderSoul - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I sold 10600+ SoF/nix for 11K today alone. Made an easy 20+ mil so yes they are still n demand. As for the sale on battle pet packs, I was told that they usually occur around christmas time and around spring break every year. I doubt there is some conspiracy pertaining to the upcoming expansion.

Also when it comes to deciding whether or not to buy them from a merchant or from packs in the cash shop I think it depends on the quantity of SoF/PF you want to buy. Small quantities, say 500 SoF/PF) or less, buy from merchants if they aren't gouging prices. More than that get packs. In large quantities of packs I averaged 26-27.5 SoF/PF per pack. Low quantities of packs, 50 or less) I averaged as low as 21-23 SoF/PF per packbut as high as 29 too but only once.
    edited January 2011
    There's a really smart person (sarcasm) still selling SoF/PF for 20k a pop on Sanctuary Server. b:bye

I got my Nix today, mainly because it is stashable and because I am going to be doing TW. So, Nix it is.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    *Pre RB level
  • maestro120
    maestro120 Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited January 2011

It will cost lots more than the Herc too which brings the whole, "are you getting value for money" question into the equation.

I mean... if getting the gear and refines necessary to push your summons pet to dramatically exceed an equiv level Herc means farming or CSing 500 million + in coins... its a tough call... particularly if the elitists out there may still not think your mystic is going to be good enough to replace Barbs/BMs/Clerics on their squads during the various FC runs.