Question for you Archers of PW ^^

Galliteya - Heavens Tear
Galliteya - Heavens Tear Posts: 68 Arc User
edited January 2011 in Archer
Hello again heehee. I'm a little new and just gathering some info from the players who've been playing for awhile now. How well is the archer class as in solo and dungeons? Do you get chosen alot? How do you fair by yourself questing/grinding? Do you burn through mana as quickly as other classes? Thankies ^^!!b:cute
Post edited by Galliteya - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• tehiro
    tehiro Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    we don't burn through mana nearly as quickly as many of the other classes i've seen played. when grinding you can grind completely without mana as long as you have a clerics mana Regen buff on.
    archers are perhaps the best when it comes to solo grinding, bosses however tear through us like tissue paper. for a dd class we are always appreciated but still we are only a dd class and therefore not nearly as desirable as a support class.

also archers are by and large the most intelligent of all the classes, ijsb:avoid
  • RuneSeeker - Harshlands
    RuneSeeker - Harshlands Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Soloing quests is easy; high DPS, buffs and long range takes care of that. Mana can get burned but ofcourse it depends on what skills you use. The popular Frost arrow->attack-->attack-->knockback will consume around 80-110 mana so chug a pot every 15-20 mobs. Or use winged shell every-now-and-then to regain some MP.
    People seem to like to choose sins over archers in dungeons. Doesn't mean we can't get into dungeons, it's just a bit harder. STA is still a great skill for FB bosses.
    You could solo bosses on your own if you restat to fist/claw archer in the later lvs (5 aps).
    Original Join Date: Nov 2008, from LC. Fun times back then with RageQuit, AxeGanG and GuardianZ.
    -Improvise, Adapt and Overcome-
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38260072001&dateline=1292187452[/SIGPIC]
  • Xxdistance - Heavens Tear
    Xxdistance - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Tbh, I've leveled an archer up to 90 and kept her at 90 for 6 months, taking her on a bunch of Frost Covered runs. I can tell you that our dps (damage per second) is minimal, unless you stack -interval gear and/or switch to fists.
    In the beginning, your attack rate is going to suck. Mobs will be on you faster than you can get 5 hits in. When you get knockback arrow and frost arrow, it will lighten the burden a bit, but don't be surprised if they still get to you. Ranged mobs obviously don't run after you, so they will always be hitting you. Winged Shell can be used to absorb some damage but you are going to fight to stay alive for a long time. Life Powders can work wonders for this, though. Also, you can do a hybrid build with 3 dex, 1 str & 1 vit every level, but your damage will be cut a little. I'd cap vit at 25 if I were you, and in later levels you can shard your gear with citrines and refine it.
    We are not really needed in instances. For low level instances, we are of use. Our Sharpened Tooth Arrow is greatly appreciated and if it wasn't for that, I'm not sure we would be necessary at all since assassin's can equip bows for anything that needs a ranged attacker. A lot of archers go to a fist build near endgame to get into higher level instances when dps really counts, so you have to think of that if you want to hit endgame.
    Your damage is cut in half when attacking a target up close, so you must take that into consideration also.
    Also if you plan on getting endgame, it is advised to get the Heaven Shatterer or Rank8 bow if you plan on staying bow archer. In my opinion, it's the archer's herc and there is really no better weapon for an archer. *
    *READ: REALLY Please don't correct me with "THIS WEAPON IS BETTAAA!!!11"
    We can solo bosses and instances... when we're basically endgame. My archer was mid-high level (As I stated before, 90) and she could solo all FB's up to 59 and a ton of different lowbie bosses (Khewy NOT included. Never wanted to try him b:shutup) She wasn't able to solo TT, but I never tried solo mode, but I can't be arsed to ever test it. I know she'd never make it in squad mode, though. I've tried doing FB79, and it was easily done with a good cleric, a good pair of fists and triple spark macro. And my baby genie b:cute

A few good things about archers:
    -We have Sharpened Tooth Arrow
    -Barrage is a Godly AoE
    -High damage and lots of crits (but low dps is horrible)
    -We're sexy b:cute

But honestly, the other people in this thread sugarcoated the archer class. A lot of people play it thinking they're going to 1hit kill everything in the beginning, but it takes a LOT of time and effort and coins to get anywhere near that idea. But if you can successfully play an archer, it is one of the best classes and very fun (to look sexy). Good luck b:pleased
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " you gave up the fight; you left me behind . "

credit for the picture goes to Susylu, of course. b:cute
  • Linkmas - Sanctuary
    Linkmas - Sanctuary Posts: 76 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    i have playing an archer for about 3 years now ( yes got it only to 97 ! )
    and i gota say this class rocks
    yes we get in high lvl instances
    yes we can solo
    yes we have high dammage
    and yes we r basicly an end game class
    check the other archers threads for more information
    b:bye
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    Elviron - Dreamweaver Posts: 812 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    While what Xxdistance is true to some extent, it applies to all classes and not just to archers.

All classes have problems at lower lvls and are not going to 1 shot things. The class which has it the easiest is probably the venomancer since they have a personal tank.

So comparatively, as far as grinding goes, archers have it easier than most of the other classes since:-

1.) Theyre ranged
    2.) Have skills to knock back monsters so that u dont take a hit hence low hp pot usage
    3.) Minimal skill usage required and hence low mana usage.

I have yet to buy a single hp/mp pot since i started. Have been using whatever i get from mobs. I have also distributed stacks of 100 pots to friends and faction mates.

As far as endgame goes, yes archers do need to get fists and -interval to be more readily accepted in squads, however this applies to all physical damage classes like BMs, Barbs and Sins as well, due to the aps craze going on.
  • Xxdistance - Heavens Tear
    Xxdistance - Heavens Tear Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    While what Xxdistance is true to some extent, it applies to all classes and not just to archers.

All classes have problems at lower lvls and are not going to 1 shot things. The class which has it the easiest is probably the venomancer since they have a personal tank.

So comparatively, as far as grinding goes, archers have it easier than most of the other classes since:-

1.) Theyre ranged
    2.) Have skills to knock back monsters so that u dont take a hit hence low hp pot usage
    3.) Minimal skill usage required and hence low mana usage.

I have yet to buy a single hp/mp pot since i started. Have been using whatever i get from mobs. I have also distributed stacks of 100 pots to friends and faction mates.

As far as endgame goes, yes archers do need to get fists and -interval to be more readily accepted in squads, however this applies to all physical damage classes like BMs, Barbs and Sins as well, due to the aps craze going on.

Sadly though, a lot of people start an archer thinking that they will be one shotting everything from the get go.

And the thing with bms and sins is their weapons (fists for Bms ofc) hit more than an archer's basic weapon from the beginning, anyway. Barbs and archers have to change to meet that standard for nirvana and high level TT profit runs and possibly uber fast FC runs. And it shows. I remember going on a profit run with a cleric and a 5.0 aps BM and the bm complained that I was way too slow with my bow, even WITH 3 -interval gears on. Then I kinda realised I should be thinking about my dps from now on, since she was reaching endgame in 15 levels. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " you gave up the fight; you left me behind . "

credit for the picture goes to Susylu, of course. b:cute
  • OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver
    OdessaWolf - Dreamweaver Posts: 244 Arc User
    edited January 2011

And thats the sad part. If u dont have the right amount of aps, u get ignored/denied >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ImReallyWhyt - Heavens Tear
    ImReallyWhyt - Heavens Tear Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Archer is a fine class indeed.It took me 2 years to finally make one and i made this one as a joke but got hooked on it and kept going with it.Stick with the dex 4 and str 1 per lvl just ..stick..with..it..trust me the out come will be great.Im 3 vit and 3 mag and with my tt99 bow and my deicides i bust over 7k hp with barb buff..not to shabby hey??I have decent shards and vit additions to aid me in my hp..hp+hitting like a freight train=good !Al my quest in early lvls were easy as pie and i did al lsolo in no time i didnt wear any armor untill lvl 20 and even after that i stuck with drop armor and quest armor till rank gear at 30.

great class!And when u get claws its like what what omg lolb:laugh

yeah with the fist/claw situation yes that is bad but i adapted and got what i wanted,but i use my claws with my bm and prob will make my barb a demon after culti(if i ever decide to finish it).But really i been in squad with a archer with rank8 bow getting aggro even after people demon spark with interval.Ill get rank8 when next sale comes.
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2011

I have had similar experiences to yours (and I still give out stacks of potions when I get too many stacks going). But I think most archers have to pay for ammo which is a cost similar in character to potion costs for other classes.
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2011
    Umm a stack of 20k arrows (40k coins) lasts like a week. The ammo cost i make in like 15 mins.

Fine fine i use lvl1 ammo...
  • Sarrafeline - Sanctuary
    Sarrafeline - Sanctuary Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    I have some input...

I play to survive, and keep my party alive. I do mostly solo on my Archer, but some friend's alts recently got to my level. So, we did a BH together, BH51. Funny enough, multi-aggro happened at Fushie, and it ended up just being myself and the cleric... The Barb died first due to too many mobs on him. The BM died second trying to kill the mobs. The sin third, luckily, killing one mob before he died. I killed a second mob, the other two walkers reset when the sin died. Then Fushie heal aggroed on our Cleric. So, I stepped in, and shot Fushie, then ran, shot, ran, shot, ran shot. I spammed Wind Shield, Wings of Protection, and the other buff that increases move speed by 30% and def b 30% for a short time, whatever it's called. The cleric was healing me, but I told her to rez instead lol She managed to rez the party, barb First, and heal him back up to acceptable HP levels, while I kept myself alive, and close enough to the barb while GANKING my genie out of stamina. I completely survived, and yes, I do have a HP charm. It's a free charm, but whatever. In the end, I saved the cleric, and she was able to rez the barb, bm, and sin, and we ended up shanking fushie and moving on to Rank, which was the end of our BH adventures that day. :)

So... Bosses are hard. But if you use the right skills, and learn your character, and don't freeze up, you aren't tissue paper. I built that genie for 'OH ****' moments like that, and for quick killing/running real fast. Second Wind, Wind Shield, Frenzy, and Holy Path. Win for my play style. I'd never try tanking Fushie, but I think I could if I needed to. :)

And for arrows... If you have a large sum of coins, IE, if your Archer is your alt, and you have a catshop, you can dump the coins in and one arrow/bolt/shot of the type you would like to get lots of, and buy it for a couple coins each. Other players get shot/arrows/bolts as drops, and most likely vendor them for one coin a pop. If you pay more than that, they make a profit, lots more than the NPC would pay for them, and you make out like a Queen, since you just paid way less than half of what the NPC sells them for. It's slow, but you can get a ton of arrows at once this way (someone dumped 8k into my shop at once three days ago). I suggest 100k coins, and buy as much as you want, 2-5 coins each. If you are going for the level 1 ammo... Buy it from NPC. Level 4 arrows/etc., adjust price accordingly.
    101 Sage Sin*/Archer
    100 Demon BM*/Barb
    96 Demon Cleric/Sage Seeker
    95 Demon Wiz/
    94 Sage Veno
    85 Psy/80 Mystic
    And a handful of other alts, all 79 and under.
    *Pre RB level
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Umm a stack of 20k arrows (40k coins) lasts like a week. The ammo cost i make in like 15 mins.

Fine fine i use lvl1 ammo...

That's enough to buy about 67 mana food, that each supply 5k mana. On a per-attack basis, you wind up being cheaper than a cleric. But they get some fraction of their total mana from mana regen, and they get a higher damage per hit than you do (and when they are in full heal mode they sometimes get their full mana regen). So sometimes a cleric will be cheaper than you, and sometimes not -- and when you are cheaper, the costs you wind up paying per attack still wind up being comparable.

(Meanwhile, when you barrage (do you do your bounty hunts?), your mana efficiency falls through the basement.)
  • Elviron - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2011
    I dont know....40k coins per week for maintaining your char is rather cheap

Archers use ammo 95% of the time and mana/hp at like 5% (RBs and instances) of the time as per my gameplay style.

Guess it depends on each archer on how they play and what they find effective.

So are archers cheap when it comes to maintenance....Depends

Can they be maintained at a low cost.....Definitely Yes