help?

Options
Demon_sage - Harshlands
Demon_sage - Harshlands Posts: 31 Arc User
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
my ping is 160ms in game but fps is at low 10-20 and i keep getting frame skips any idea how to solve this problem

edit...also drops my connection from 54mbs to 1.0mbs
Post edited by Demon_sage - Harshlands on

Comments

• LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
    LadyofReal - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,993 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Get a better computer...
    Not motivated enough to make another PWI siggy
  • Demon_sage - Harshlands
    Demon_sage - Harshlands Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    WOW ummm not my pc srry......i can download at 15mb/s upload at 12mb/s and my pc build is 16gbs ram 2 gb vid card quad core processer at 3.2ghz 1000 watt power supply...really would appreciate a educated response b:surrender
  • LadyofReal - Heavens Tear
    LadyofReal - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,993 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    On a more serious note, I think you'd be better off sending in a ticket to technical support. Most days my game play is seamless, and others it isn't; but then I do play on a DSL connection...
    Not motivated enough to make another PWI siggy
  • Allisandre - Sanctuary
    Allisandre - Sanctuary Posts: 1,452 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    1. this should be in tech support at a minimum, or send in a ticket. You posted in totally the wrong place.

2. ANY more detail on your system specs? You could have a 2GB 8800GT and still not get higher than 30FPS in most situations. What is your OS?

3. First you stats it drops your connection from 54MBs to 1MB, then you state that you have 15u 12d for internet. Running PW on a wireless connection is a bad idea because the transmission isn't duplex and the encryption algorithm that PWI uses has real trouble if the data flow is interrupted. (Which it is constantly with a wireless connection. (I am Cisco certified so I can go into further detail on this but we don't want a post that large.))

So for solutions...
    1. Stop using wireless.
    2. give us more system info. OS version would be good too.
    Take the time to look for your answer before you post like an idiot.

There are two kinds of people in this world...
    There are those who panic,
    And then there is us.
    ~ Sarah Jane Smith
  • Alerean - Heavens Tear
    Alerean - Heavens Tear Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Unfortunately I've suffered the same issue myself. The game is old enough it is using older video technology that isn't supported so well on newer systems. The game also tends to be CPU bound and is single threaded so doesn't benefit from your quad core at all. The best you can do is disable some of the graphics options and hope for the best. Terrain tends to be the best one you can do, it offers a decent performance benefit.

Myself I also suffer partly from poor Nvidia driver support for old games, which causes my FPS to suffer slightly, although its gotten a bit better recently. To clarify, I have a pair of hexacores at 3.6Ghz with 12GB of mem and Tri-SLI GTX580s. I also get around 10-20fps in Perfect World. There isn't much that can be done to improve performance if you are suffering the same issues as I am.

EDIT: That didn't cover the wireless side, just the fps side. In relation to wireless, not using it is the best solution. If you can't manage that, try moving the Wireless Router closer to your PC, as distance is a factor as well.