5aps

Options
recruit59
recruit59 Posts: 5 Arc User
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
I started playing PWI about a year ago and I subsided when I got a ps3. I recently came on to see whats new and am excited to see 2 new classes being added to the game. I am thinking about starting again so i decided to read a few forum topics to see whats been going on. Alot of them talking about "5aps" and "dps" and these terms were never used when I played on my old acc (lvl90 BM). Can someone please explain to me why everyone is calling this game dead and what is 5aps. I also read a few topics that say BM/Barb are OP and then seeing that Wizzy and Veno are OP. Can someone fill me in on what I missed?
Post edited by recruit59 on

Comments

• LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    dps is damage per second, which is what kills things faster. aps is attacks per second, which can be one way of increasing dps. 5 aps is the game's maximum; you can't get faster hitting than that.

characters that reach 5aps usually end up with such insanely high dps as to be unbalanced; there's little they can't do, often unaided. it's doing twisted things to game balance, the game economy, and to squadding social dynamics.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • recruit59
    edited January 2011
    Options
    How is it possible to get 5aps? Is there new gear that im unaware or something?

Also I recently read that veno's bramble hood was nerfed. Is this also true?
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's possible to get 5 aps by taking out your credit card and giving PWI hundreds and hundreds of dollars. If that doesn't sound like something you're up for, just farm. You'll have to farm more than you used to because PWI lowered the price of DQs to discourage farming and to make more people spend money. Also, Gold is at least 800K-1m on all servers, so you'll have to farm at least 10 times harder for 1 gold than you used to.

Good luck. I suggest you stay retired.

Also what's a veno? Isn't that the old class that can't get 5 aps so they can't solo anything anymore? Also squads don't want them. Payback is a *****.
    edited January 2011
    Options
    there's always new gear being released in the game. how to achieve 5aps, the best place to ask is the forums for the classes that mostly try for it --- BMs, 'sins, to a lesser extent barbs and archers. it's expensive, that much i know; a lot of the gear you'll need isn't available until the last 15-20 levels of the game, or so.

dunno about bramble hood, it's worked the same since i joined the game at least. how did it use to work?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • recruit59
    edited January 2011
    Options
    It's possible to get 5 aps by taking out your credit card and giving PWI hundreds and hundreds of dollars. If that doesn't sound like something you're up for, just farm. You'll have to farm more than you used to because PWI lowered the price of DQs to discourage farming and to make more people spend money. Also, Gold is at least 800K-1m on all servers, so you'll have to farm at least 10 times harder for 1 gold than you used to.

Good luck. I suggest you stay retired.

Also what's a veno? Isn't that the old class that can't get 5 aps so they can't solo anything anymore? Also squads don't want them. Payback is a *****.

What do u mean they decreased the price of DQs? So they dont give you as much money for selling them to NPC?

P.S I was in your clan at the begging of Infamyb:pleased My account was recruit511
    edited January 2011
    Options
    recruit59 wrote: »
    What do u mean they decreased the price of DQs? So they dont give you as much money for selling them to NPC?

yup. by about 20%, IIRC. but that was really before my time, almost a year ago by now.

a short (much shorter) while ago we got compensation for that, the dragon points reward system. see the stickied thread in this forum.
  • recruit59
    edited January 2011
    Options
    How the hell did the players manage to let gold sky rocket to 800k???b:shockedb:shockedb:shocked
    edited January 2011
    Options
    How the hell did the players manage to let gold sky rocket to 800k???b:shockedb:shockedb:shocked

what's the players got to do with it? the game company control the in-game economy; it literally exists on the substrate of their creation.

in this case, what happened was PWE implemented a great many gold sinks --- a "bidding hall", in-game auctions for various silly items all of which must be bought with gold; endless and continuous sales of this pack, that pack, and the other pack --- that dramatically increased demand for gold, driving prices up. supply and demand, simple as that.

the underlying issue is that the game company wants impracticably expensive gold, to encourage cash shopping over grinding or farming. free-to-play isn't profitable enough, so they're focusing heavily on the pay-to-win bit.
  • recruit59
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think its safe to say that I will not be returning to this game. 3.2mill for a gold charm...I remember when they were only 400k. Il just be moving on to other games on my ps3. There is no point in spending 100+ dollars on a single game when you can just buy a console game for 50 and be able to play fairly with a bunch of other players.b:bye
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    You can get silver and bronze charms for "free", if you sell enough dragon quest items to NPCs. Go to http://pwi.perfectworld.com/dqrewards, get your character a "Demon/Sage Event Card" then go to the boutique and click on the blue diamond and go to the utility tab. That event card will pay for six silver charms, with some left over...

You can also get dragon points from the snowmen (each merry christman firework you sell to an NPC gets you 20 dragon points).

Anyways, you might need a week or two of grinding to get 50k dragon points, and if you do not get them through the snowmen you will need a reasonably high level character to earn that many (low level dragon quest items get no dragon points (level 20) or only 1 dragon point (level 31), or only 5 dragon points (level 41)).

But if you really want to earn coins, within this game, you need to do a fair bit of work, buying and selling, in game (finding markets that are untouched and taking advantage of them). Note that if you do so a lot of your efforts will go towards making the game slightly easier to play for other people, which might be frustrating sometimes (among other things, you will be benefiting people with more in-game power than yourself, which can be hard to stomach sometimes -- sometimes all sorts of nice stuff will pass through your hands and all you will be getting out of it will be coins... millions upon millions of coins, but just coins nonetheless).

Anyways, if you enjoy this game, you should not let sour grapes forums types tell you differently. But if you do not enjoy this game, you should of course find something else that you do enjoy.
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I have no life QQ

I saw your fail nerdrage ingame, seems they lazy GMs did not do their job I witnessed on W/C and your auto message of some fishy advertisement. So I reported you for violation. Still not banned yet for violation? Wait till I talk to frankie about this.

Please, you possibly contribute to the game more than I do spamming **** on world chat. Really the game is dead while you spend 10 cents of your food stamps to say garbage on WC and no one likes you b:laugh you said you have the game uninstalled you hypocrit.
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I saw your fail nerdrage ingame, seems they lazy GMs did not do their job I witnessed on W/C and your auto message of some fishy advertisement. So I reported you for violation. Still not banned yet for violation? Wait till I talk to frankie about this.

Please, you possibly contribute to the game more than I do spamming **** on world chat. Really the game is dead while you spend 10 cents of your food stamps to say garbage on WC and no one likes you b:laugh you said you have the game uninstalled you hypocrit.

Wow. Way to spew your hate and rage into a decent thread, GTFO you FAIL.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • Yulk_owns - Lost City
    Yulk_owns - Lost City Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I love you :3

5 APS thread decent? Its no rage, its the truth, I have screen shots of it. Want to see it on a PM?

b:kiss
    I, II and III spark is the most cheesiest skill in PWI and it should be removed or massively nerfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NightRage - Raging Tide
    NightRage - Raging Tide Posts: 1,582 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I think its safe to say that I will not be returning to this game. 3.2mill for a gold charm...I remember when they were only 400k. Il just be moving on to other games on my ps3. There is no point in spending 100+ dollars on a single game when you can just buy a console game for 50 and be able to play fairly with a bunch of other players.b:bye

Glad to hear it.
  • DaKillanator - Raging Tide
    DaKillanator - Raging Tide Posts: 2,965 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    you can just buy a console game for 50 and be able to play fairly with a bunch of other players.b:bye

I can't really argue with the "play fairly" bit, that's pretty true.

But in my opinion $100 on PWI is better than buying 2 console games, simply because console games have limited content, there's not as much to do, you can't really hang out on console games, and there's not really any individuality.
    At least on PWI you can be good for something that other classes arn't good in, and you can do things in a way that no other class does, or as seen with people that have unique builds, ways that not even your own class does.

I guess I jus feel PWI has better replay value than a console system.

Btw; let's be real, console games don't cost $50 anymore. All the good games are $60 unless you buy them used, and $60 on PWI, especially with high gold prices, can get you pretty far.
  • Gryphyyn - Heavens Tear
    Gryphyyn - Heavens Tear Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I started playing PWI about a year ago and I subsided when I got a ps3. I recently came on to see whats new and am excited to see 2 new classes being added to the game. I am thinking about starting again so i decided to read a few forum topics to see whats been going on. Alot of them talking about "5aps" and "dps" and these terms were never used when I played on my old acc (lvl90 BM). Can someone please explain to me why everyone is calling this game dead and what is 5aps. I also read a few topics that say BM/Barb are OP and then seeing that Wizzy and Veno are OP. Can someone fill me in on what I missed?

Just like you, I came back a couple months ago after having a 6-month-hiatus from PWI and experienced all these new wonders (note the sarcasm). The game-play is much different than it was 1-1.5 years ago. You will notice that DQ items were reduced in value (by 20% due to gold farming in PW-CN), TT 3-X became nerfed so now unless you are 100+ and in a squad of other 100+'s its nearly impossible to farm for mats as it was possible for players as 90+, TW received a nice nerf that now resulted in one dominant faction that owns all lands (on nearly all servers) and receive rewards as mirages instead of monetary ones, and to top it all off you can have 5.0 APS (as barb/bm/archer/sin) or even R9 if your credit card has the right numbers.
    Note: A 5.0 APS bm/archer/sin can tank most instances now, and 5.0 sins can solo FF at 100+.

Being surprised that gold reached 800K is being modest; on some recent occasions its reached even 1.5-1.6 mil per gold (atleast on Heavens Tear server). PWI had sales on their infamous anniversary packs again recently and with the permanent tiger pack sales - gold often stabilizes around 800K-1 mil on any given day.
    I think its safe to say that I will not be returning to this game. 3.2mill for a gold charm...I remember when they were only 400k.

Gold HP charms have been around 3.5 mil and Plat HP charms have been hovering around 4-5 mil. Any cheaper and its because you got lucky or there was too much supply and too little demand (which is probably rare); then again, TW is dead so probably not many who are using HP charms in that regard anymore.

You'll probably find more info after you acquaint yourself with the new changes through other posts, but yeap this game has certainly changed since you had left (I felt the same after returning). b:surrender

Cheers!

Gryphyyn
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Karma | ex-GoldDigrz | ex-xWaRx | ex-Reunited | ex-Tao
    Gryphyyn (10x Archer) | Tyyphoon (10x Assassin) | Ryyft (8x Seeker)

Fearless. | karmapwi.com
  • Southkorean - Harshlands
    Southkorean - Harshlands Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    .....in before Yulk and tweakz try to prove screwed up system is fine and 5aps trolls come to raid the fridge....

.....oh wait...
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

gratz, you just won the game
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • Zyfou - Heavens Tear
    Zyfou - Heavens Tear Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

DING DING DING DING DING!

You hit the jackpot right on the head, buddy.
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    .....in before Yulk and tweakz try to prove screwed up system is fine and 5aps trolls come to raid the fridge....

.....oh wait...

Oh, but you must remember! EVERYONE is perfectly capable of multiclienting(which amusingly, has been stated by the GMs as being against the rules)
    and therefore EVERYONE is perfectly capable of leaving an extra game window up for merchanting purposes! Because EVERYONE has a perfectly capable computer that can handle such things, and NOBODY has utility bills to pay. And to top it all off, EVERYONE is perfectly capable of playing this game all day every day, because NOBODY has a life outside of the internet, and NOBODY spends most of their time working or taking care of their business.
    So yes, they are exactly right, EVERYONE is perfectly capable of easily obtaining everything ingame without Cash shopping at all. Despite the fact that someone had to cash shop in the first place to provide the gold/coins/items that the non-cash shoppers use.

We must remember, the opinion of certain mere human beings must be fact, because in their personal situation, it works out perfectly fine.

Of course, I for one cannot do this. My computer can't handle multiclienting, it barely can handle west arch with the lowest settings and no other programs running. And even if I could, I would not be merchanting, because I have an electric bill I'd rather not see skyrocket due to leaving the game on 24/7. I also cannot spend hours a day every day playing to farm, as I work, and have responsibilities outside of the internet. My boyfriend also uses this computer for his own internet stuff, and he also plays PWI as well.
    But what do I know, I'm not a fact-spewing god like others here. I'm just a human being with an opinion based on what I know and what I've seen. b:sad
  • Obly - Dreamweaver
    Obly - Dreamweaver Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    But what do I know, I'm not a fact-spewing god like others here. I'm just a human being with an opinion based on what I know and what I've seen. b:sad

Score....+1 billion!
    b:victory Once you discover life is meaningless, you will see my point of view!! b:victory

Skills determine a good player, not a creditcard.b:flower
  • Fleuri - Sanctuary
    Fleuri - Sanctuary Posts: 1,763 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Oh, but you must remember! EVERYONE is perfectly capable of multiclienting(which amusingly, has been stated by the GMs as being against the rules)

And remember, if anyone posts something in the forums claiming something is broken, or against the rules, they are automatically correct and relevant.

(Or, for a non-sarcastic version: multi-clienting is against the terms of service, but multi-boxing is perfectly legal. But, my cynical side tells me that most people do not care.)
  • Bellarie - Raging Tide
    Bellarie - Raging Tide Posts: 603 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    And remember, if anyone posts something in the forums claiming something is broken, or against the rules, they are automatically correct and relevant.

(Or, for a non-sarcastic version: multi-clienting is against the terms of service, but multi-boxing is perfectly legal. But, my cynical side tells me that most people do not care.)

Well, honestly, I personally have no issues with multiclienting itself, and I would actually use such methods of merchanting if I had a comp that could handle it, and if I didn't have an electric bill to worry about.
    Or in other words, I'm not saying tweakz and others are wrong about being able to play the game without spending any real moneys; I'm saying that they are wrong for their generalized opinion that ANYONE and EVERYONE can easily do it with a little virtual elbow grease. And regardless of what they personally think, I actually personally also am under the impression that the recent string of things being done to this game since I joined last spring, are in fact gimmicks and ploys by those in charge to discourage coin farming and entice charging zen with real moneys. Yes, I cannot prove this as fact, and yes,it is merely my educated opinion, but honestly, many others agree with me, and honestly, when this many people are under such an impression, it usually points to that impression being at least somewhat true.

As I have stated before, I actually love the game itself, and despite a few actual biased gameplay issues(sexism allowing females to easily do certain jumping quests with ease, cash shop aerocrafts allowing flight as early as lvl 10 for non-wing elves) I actually can deal with the greed and horribly broken economy. I don't do factions and don't care to PvP, so I don't really have much issue with broken mechanics like the 5aps **** or Herc-only squads(yet, anyway) And the screwed up economy just means that a casual player like myself will just take much longer to get where everyone else gets in a fraction of the time. Of course, I enjoy playing at a slower pace anyway, I could be over lvl 60 by now, but I've been taking my time, doing all the quests, and feeding exp to my genie to keep from overleveling. And honestly, it's kinda fun. I've been using various "Uncommon" pets that have single spawns in the game(Vermillion Vipent, Melacholic Scorpion King, and Vipent Centipex among others) I'm working dragon orders toward a Fine Pataka of Bodhi when I hit 50, I refine my low lvl legendary equips(I managed to +3 my bones of the dead with only 11 Mirages) and the game experience as a whole is actually somewhat enjoyable for me right now. How it will be once Ihit over 60, we'll see.

Apologies for the wall of text, tl;dr version: The game is indeed broken, and IMO needs serious work, but until the day where the current people running the game die a horrible torturous death and are replaced by competent individuals who care about the players, we can at least make the most of the game, and try to notice the positive perks of the game.
  • Granrey - Sanctuary
    Granrey - Sanctuary Posts: 2,050 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

So you know, you might not need charms anymore. People dont do ZEN and very few do grinding.

People dont even use world chat as much to sell charms. I've been days without seeing a world chat message about selling/buying charms. Which were very common before. Charms were like gold on real world. I like the fact you dont need charms as they are coin drainage items.

People dont spam WC asking to do your FB even the guild recruitment messages have drop a lot too.

The game has changed rather than matured. The money mechanics are different, the gear is different (legendary gear very cheap), the soft level cap is different (many 100 toons) and so on. I think all this is good.

For me the biggest change is that none of my friends play this game anymore (only one left). They were all leaving one by one for one reason or another.

The friends you make now are most likely BH/FCC related. As soon the BH/FCC are done they will most likely log off or do AFK WQ as very few do quests either (quests are very few anyways).

I think it was better to log in and find out what your friends were doing (TT, quests, bosses, FB, Zen, ect) and see which of them you wanted to join rather than asking if you did your BH today or which BH you have (and you had no feeling of not levelling for not doing your BH/FCC) b:bye

Its kind of like which movie are we watching today "return of the dragon" or "Die hard"? Well, we saw all those the day before and all the days before that.b:laugh

However, the exps are great with these changes, you level really quick and you still have the option of playing like old timers. So, maybe is better the way it is now.
  • Obly - Dreamweaver
    Obly - Dreamweaver Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    So, maybe is better the way it is now.

Agreed with you all the way, but at this point small sidenote from my OPINION (stated like that for all the QQ-ers etc)

I think the game changed 2 much 2 fast, giving no time for the old players to adjust and adapt to the NEW pwi. This in its turn now makes your statement of maybe better the way it is now a personal thing.

You either hate it or you love it. Newcomers don;t know any better so no problems there.

For the old farts, that have been here since PW-MY and before that....some will stay, but my heart tells me, the majority will up and leave, and in time switch to the MMO's that will soon hit the market....(we all know which one I mean here)
    b:victory Once you discover life is meaningless, you will see my point of view!! b:victory

Skills determine a good player, not a creditcard.b:flower
  • JanusZeal - Heavens Tear
    JanusZeal - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,852 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    So you know, you might not need charms anymore. People dont do ZEN and very few do grinding.

People dont even use world chat as much to sell charms. I've been days without seeing a world chat message about selling/buying charms. Which were very common before. Charms were like gold on real world. I like the fact you dont need charms are they are coin drainage items.

People dont spam WC asking to do your FB even the guild recruitment messages have drop a lot too.

The game has changed rather than matured. The money mechanics are different, the gear is different (legendary gear very cheap), the soft level cap is different (many 100 toons) and so on. I think all this is good.

For me the biggest change is that none of my friends play this game anymore (only one left). They were all leaving one by one for one reason or another.

The friends you make now are most likely BH/FCC related. As soon the BH/FCC are done they will most likely log off or do AFK WQ as very few do quests either (quests are very few anyways).

I think it was better to log in and find out what your friends were doing (TT, quests, bosses, FB, Zen, ect) and see which of them you wanted to join rather than asking if you did your BH today or which BH you have (and you had no feeling of not levelling for not doing your BH/FCC) b:bye

Its kind of like which movie are we watching today "return of the dragon" or "Die hard"? Well, we saw all those the day before and all the days before that.b:laugh

However, the exps are great with these changes, you level really quick and you still have the option of playing like old timers. So, maybe is better the way it is now.
    I agree with the tone of your post, and I can't say for sure how it is on Sanctuary, but HT constantly is spammed with faction recruiting, no difference at all, there is world chats for people wanting to do other people's FB's (certainly not even close to the level it was last year). Other than that, I agree completely. Most of my friends on all my chars FL combined have been from FF, Nirvana, RB, and some old timers from other random stuff (BH, TT, random quests), most of them from FF and Nirvana now.

There's a few misconceptions people have though, most of them on this forum unfortunately get them from when they did play and obviously don't play now:

- Wizards have seen a resurgence. This is coupled with rank gear and it being more popular in PVP/TW and other instances (seen more wiz in Nirvana too).
    - Far more people are grinding DQ. I see more in almost every OHT map (fewer in Moonshade for obvious reasons), along most of the mobs that used to be grinded for DQ before the DQ coin nerf, and way more DQ farmers/sellers/buyers (DQ trade has never been more alive).

The game has indeed changed there is no doubt about that. The OP obviously cannot handle changes, and so evidently is going to play another game. Good for him -- hopefully w/e game he goes to play won't change at all. My guess is it's a single player game without any patches. HGL is still fun to play single player.
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options

.....oh wait...

And you being a troll that fails at the game obviously knows more about game mechanics and balance than the devs. b:bye
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Jadsia - Lost City
    Jadsia - Lost City Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    tweakz wrote: »
    And you being a troll that fails at the game obviously knows more about game mechanics and balance than the devs. b:bye

And this coming from you who thinks he has god-like insight in how to play everyone else's class and toon and calls others names when they confront you with their experience that contradicts you.

It appears that you are what you acuse others of being.
    I **** bigger than you...

Shut up and play the game.....Damn
  • jimburns96
    jimburns96 Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    And this coming from you who thinks he has god-like insight in how to play everyone else's class and toon and calls others names when they confront you with their experience that contradicts you.

It appears that you are what you acuse others of being.

I completely agree with Jadsia. Tweakz is a freaking troll. Not a hard conclusion to make after reading 5 threads that Tweakz made posts in. GTFO
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    jimburns96 wrote: »
    I completely agree with Jadsia. Tweakz is a freaking troll. Not a hard conclusion to make after reading 5 threads that Tweakz made posts in. GTFO

Lol @ your post count of 3.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.