Need serious Graphics help

AuroraTear - Archosaur
AuroraTear - Archosaur Posts: 89 Arc User
edited January 2011 in General Discussion
I've been playing this game for almost a year now. One of the HUGE appeals this game has are its beautiful graphics especially when they are turned all the way up. Its a really really beautiful game.

Lately the last 2 weeks and its only getting worse, I've had some graphics bugs, glitches, puases etc etc what seems like lag but ping is fine.

I have a Sony Vaio, 6 gigs of ram, 1 gig Nvidia 330M graphics card and an i7 all wrapped up this laptop. A year ago when i started you couldn't pay me to lag in Arch, not even with the Nein Beast event. Nothing could make this game lag.

Now it comes in s2 second waves. Its flawless for 2 seconds then laggy for 2 seconds and it repeats. Or sometimes there is no lag when im panned in a specific direction but the moment I rotate It gets glitchy/lagy (because again its not ping) but as soon as I rorate back it smoothes right out again. I wanted to ask if this was the game, server, maybe the launcher. Or god forbid my graphics card as im still under waranty with this laptop I'll just bring it to the Geek squad.

If anyone else has experianced these sort of problems on a similiar set up or knows what is wrong please let me know. Its ruining my game play. Im even lagging in TW where It should be extremely smooth. Even Fb's and FC are laggy when those places should have the best game play due to limited numbers or changing player/mob/whatever locations.

HELP
HELP
HELP

any and all useful/productive answers will be appreciated in advance and I'll try to thank anyone that actually responds to this
Post edited by AuroraTear - Archosaur on

Comments

• Cels - Sanctuary
    Cels - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Did you check to see if anything in your PC might have changed? I had a similar problem, before realizing I'd switched my power settings from high performance to balanced. Silly me :P

Also, you could try rolling back your driver/updating it/checking DirectX. Alternatively, you could try defragging, as PWI has a horrible tendency to fragment. The basic windows defrag is pretty bad, so a third party one helped me.

Dunno how helpful this'll be, it's what helped me when I troubleshooted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LenieClarke - Heavens Tear
    LenieClarke - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,275 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    if the hardware's not changed, the software's suspect. have you installed any other packages on your laptop in the meantime? operating system upgrades or changes? defragged the harddisk lately? maybe there's some other process running in the background now that wasn't installed a year ago?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Heaven's Tear alts: KenLubin, Sou_Hon, JudyCaraco --- level 5x chars.
  • AuroraTear - Archosaur
    AuroraTear - Archosaur Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Ok. I Just uninstalled the game as well as several others. There have been no major changes. Ive got PWI downloading again and while I wat the 40 mins ima let a defrag run as suggested. Thank you for the fast responsesb:surrender
  • Oneji - Heavens Tear
    Oneji - Heavens Tear Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Ok. I Just uninstalled the game as well as several others. There have been no major changes. Ive got PWI downloading again and while I wat the 40 mins ima let a defrag run as suggested. Thank you for the fast responsesb:surrender

Also make sure to to try and clean out your computers junk, check for viruses(spyware,malware,worms etc), and if needed to a clean installation of your operating system, and keep only the necessary files.

Like you I also ran into this issue, but what worked for me was a clean installation of Windows XP. The cause was a virus, and some other unneeded programs using up valuable RAM.
  • Cels - Sanctuary
    Cels - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Also make sure to to try and clean out your computers junk, check for viruses(spyware,malware,worms etc), and if needed to a clean installation of your operating system, and keep only the necessary files.

Like you I also ran into this issue, but what worked for me was a clean installation of Windows XP. The cause was a virus, and some other unneeded programs using up valuable RAM.

Seconding this. You can also run msconfig and check what startup programs are running. Thing like quicktime or a manufacturer's software can sometimes hog the ram. I'd also recommend shredding the white space on you computer after you uninstall programs. nCleaner and Defragger both work well to help clean things up. (Defragger Is how I stumbled upon the fact that PWI is so broken on the defrag level b:sweat )
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Phrilly - Sanctuary
    Phrilly - Sanctuary Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Not sure when it happened, but sometime in the last 8 or so months PWE either changed their service provider/hosting company, or something changed within InterNap's internal structure (their current provider - not sure if that changed or not).

I do know that before that time I could either traceroute all the way to the game server cluster load-balancer or at least pretty close to it. Now traceroutes end at the InterNap border gateway router. This is also about the time that I started experiencing quite a bit of lag and random D/Cs. I've suspected for a while now that I'm caught in the middle of a peering disagreement between my provider (Cox Cable) and InterNap. Either that, or InterNap massively oversold their bandwidth, or PWE is too cheap to pay for bandwidth/hosting service with a decent SLA...

If anyone with a discreet contact at InterNap would care to chime in?